Rainbow Reflection

By Mygypsy

Harley woke from an accident that should have ended her life. When Drew found she had no memory of who she w... More

Rainbow Reflection
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 - Him
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - Him
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 Betrayal
Chapter 37 Yesteryear
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 - Homesick
Chapter 41
Chapter 42.
Untitled Part 45
Chapter 45. Hell hath no fury ...
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Next in the Werecat Stories
Epilogue

Chapter 44. A mother's love

621 67 38
By Mygypsy

Micah

I watch as Rosy wraps Layla firmly in her blanket before turning to Malachi and repeating the procedure with him. Our twins were two weeks old yesterday and both are nursing well and sleeping peacefully between feeds. The first three days had been rough for Rosy with Malachi suffering from colic caused by a belly full of amniotic fluid from his breech birth. I had helped as much as Rosy would allow, taking my turn to walk the floor as I held my son against my shoulder and rubbed his back trying to soothe him.

Surprisingly it had been Kia, who had turned up midmorning the day Rosy gave birth, Kia had stepped in and taken over. After each time Rosy attempted to feed Malachi Kia had stripped his clothes off and immersed him in warm water, massaging his stomach while holding his chin above water. Kia's method had helped him to work the contents of his stomach out through his bowels and soon both kitts were sleeping soundly between feeds.

With both newborns tended to I watch as Rosy turns her attention to Kali and carefully helps her into her clothes. I have to smile at the way Kali clings close, the way Rosy knows exactly what the toddler wants when she puts her little hand on her mothers forearm for attention.

"Need an extra pair of hands?" Steven asks as he steps into the room from outside the door.

"Are the boys ready to go?" Rosy asks as Kali covers her face in kisses.

"Just as you said," Steven says with a nod.

"You can carry the nappy bags," Rosy doesn't even look his way as she lifts Kali to one hip before scooping Malachi into the crook of her other arm. I step forward and pick up Layla gently. I glance towards the nappy bags knowing Rosy will have put her mothers journal in one of them.

"Hey Layla," I croon softly as her eyes flutter open. Already her eyes are turning a deep blue that comes from Rosy's family.

"Everyone waiting for a quick glimpse?" I ask Steven as he comes in and picks up what seems to be an over abundance of luggage for two new-borns and a toddler. My question elicits a low growl from Rosy but she doesn't voice an objection to the fact everyone here will be waiting for a quick glimpse of the twins before we leave to visit Rosy's sister Sasha.

"Can we get going?" Rosy asks with a last glance towards where the bags Steven held had sat.

"Don't worry I got your precious bag of books," Steven grins at Rosy.

"Good," Rosy responds.

I lead the way out of the bedroom and through the quarters to the front door, I pause just inside the door to glance behind me to ensure Rosy is close before I push the door open and step out into the bright morning sunshine. I can hear Rosy making soothing sounds behind me and glance back, she is rubbing a cheek against the top of Kali's head while shooting warning glares from beneath a frown. Steven steps between Rosy and those gathered around outside, he glances from one to the next around the small group.

"No one come too close," Steven says firmly. "Micah has Layla and Rosy there has Malachi and Kali,"

"Bubba! Bubba!" Cameron's high childish voice has me instantly glancing towards where Jazzy stands well back behind most of the warriors.

"Jazzy can bring Cameron over to see the kitts," Rosy says with just the slightest trace of tension in her voice.

Tension is thick in the air as Jazzy hesitantly moves closer, she stops every few steps as she nervously searches Rosy's face and body language for any signs of danger. Finally Jazzy halts a couple of steps before reaching Steven, she is turned so her body is between Cameron and Rosy as he leans across her body to peer at the kitt Rosy holds, eagerness etched on his face.

"Cam'on bubba!" Cameron says before squealing in excitement.

A savage little growl can be heard and I look at Kali in surprise, she is peering at Cameron from under Rosy's chin with teeth bared.

"You and Kali can play with the bubbas when they get a bit bigger," Rosy says soothingly. Kali leans back and looks up at her mother, she reaches up with her little hands grasping Rosy's face between them to direct her mothers gaze to her own.

"Dem's Kali bubbas! No Cam'on!" Kali informs her mother seriously. Rosy clears her throat noisily at Kali's words and after a slight hesitation Kali folds her arms against her chest and settles back into place with her head beneath Rosy's chin.

I smile to myself at the understanding and bond that has formed between Rosy and Kali, Kali instantly obeys her mother without resistance yet Kali still tries to defy my authority at times. I turn my attention back to those subtly moving so everyone gets a turn at looking at our young kitts. No one comes too close and I find myself laughing softly and shaking my head as Donny wriggles the fingers on his left hand in a wave at Layla.

"Shall we go now?" Rosy asks quietly.

Rosy

I step out of the van and pause a moment to turn into the breeze coming off my mountain ignoring everyone who is gathered to welcome us to The Homestead. The breeze caresses my warm face, it's touch cooling as I close my eyes and enjoy the kiss of the air against my skin. I can hear the voices of the mountain whispering in my mind, this land, my land, is greeting its new inhabitants.

"Mum, mum, mum,"

I open my eyes and glance towards the van at the persistent calls of my children. Terry is stepping out onto the ground, I can't help noticing the way he now moves as if he'd never had his amputated arm in the first place. Dacey is helping a sleep dazed Wynn from his seatbelt and I feel a proud smile creeping onto my face as I watch my three oldest children. I glance at Kali in her childseat to find her waiting silently and patiently, she sees me watching her and smiles showing off her white teeth. Micah is already working on getting Layla out of the van as I step in to let Kali out. I can feel her body trembling and I am not surprised when I see the way she turns her head towards Mount Warning.

"Hey! Hey! Me Kali!"

I watch her eyes go wide and she turns her face towards me, her mouth opened in a startled circle.

"Kalika," Sasha says softly. She is looking towards the mountain and I know she heard the voices of the land, can hear them still.

"Shall we get everyone inside for the moment?" Micah asks.

I glance his way, he has a baby capsule in each hand while Steven and Sam are carrying the collection of diaper bags we need at present. I see Kia step close to peer in at first one kitt then the other, Micah gives a warning growl causing Kia to bare her teeth in a parody of a smile. She glances at me and her smile becomes genuine.

"Them be getting' plenty milk, plenty fat," Kia says approvingly. She glances at Kali who has tucked herself in under my chin, a flicker of some emotion flashes in her eyes but is gone almost before I see it. A smile curves her lips upwards and she meets my eyes before taking in Kali once again.

"Is all good now," Kia announces and looks towards Lydia, Sasha and Malcolm.

"Let's get everyone inside," Lydia says as she turns towards the front steps. "The kettle's not long boiled and I have a fresh batch of Anzac biscuits not long out of the oven,"

I follow Micah up the steps and into the cool interior of the homestead, sunlight streams in through windows illuminating the hallway of the building I had called home for a short time. I smile to myself as I watch Sasha move to where she can peer at the kitts Micah is carrying, there is a hard to decipher look on her face for a few seconds before she turns her head and I no longer can see her face.

 "Would you like a cold drink Rosy?" Mikkarl asks from the kitchen.

"What are you doing in my kitchen Mikkarl?" Lydia asks. I hear the amusement in her voice and glance towards the kitchen to see Mikkarl standing in the doorway wiping his hands on a tea towel.

"I got cups and glasses out ready," Mikkarl says and I notice the way his gaze slides to Kia.

"Lets get this pack of little monsters settled then I can sit down with a drink," I say sending a smile his way, I slide a discreet look at Kia, her mouth is pursed tightly and I sense she is uncomfortable.

It doesn't take long before we are all settled with our drinks and choice of mid morning snack. I can't help smiling at the way Micah dotes on the twins, fussing over both of them and seemingly anticipating any little disturbance before either of the sleeping children move. Kali insists on sitting on my lap and I hide my smile at the way Sasha keeps trying to lure her to go to her. I soon pick up on the different tensions around the room, Kia, Mikkarl and Malcolm, Sasha, and Sam and Lilly. I glance between Mikkarl and Kia, back to Mikkarl, then at Malcolm as he rests an arm on the back of Kia's chair and leans close to whisper to her.

It is mid afternoon and we are all outside at the table set up in the shade having a snack and drink before heading back to Jazzy's territory. I glance at where the twins are once again sleeping in their carriers after a feed, the boys are licking their fingers to get the last of the biscuit crumbs from their plates, their drinks over half gone. I glance around looking for a head of dark shiny curls but I can't see any sign of Kali. Used to her habit of wandering off to find a place to nap I do a quick glance over the veranda before heading into the homestead. It's quieter in here but the murmur of the voices outside can still be heard, I pause in the hallway as I think of where she may be before walking to a doorway.

I glance around the room noting all the furniture has been removed and new carpet has been laid. Unpainted skirting boards line the base of the freshly painted walls but my eyes are drawn to the small girl curled up asleep in the narrow band of sunlight that lies across the new carpet. I don't have to stand by her dark curly head of silky baby hair to look out the window to know that my mountain would be in her line of sight if she were awake.

For a moment my vision blurs and I reach out to grasp the door jam, my world tilting and swaying in a now familiar sensation. The hazy ghost vision of slightly different walls swims before my eyes attempting to cover the colour of the fresh paint. A large bed shimmers in illusion with the headboard towards the wall and I take a step forward as it tries to block my view of my child, I inhale deeply as my vision clears and I am left looking at Kali. I move to sit by her sleeping form crossing my legs as I ease down onto the floor gracefully. For a moment I close my eyes as I feel a presence close by, I open my eyes slowly and turn my head but there is no one there. The soft, almost silent sound of footsteps in the hallway has me turning my face towards the doorway. I smile slightly as Sasha halts in the doorway.

"Can you make Kia leave with you today?" Sasha blurts out.

"Is everything okay?" I ask quietly. I get to my feet and move to stand just in front of her as I search the depths of her eyes but she turns her face away quickly.

"She's ruining everything," Sasha says and I can hear the thickness of tears in her voice. "I want her gone, I don't want her on my land!"

"Have you tried to speak to her?" I ask gently.

"Can't you just help me? I haven't asked you for anything before now," Sasha says hoarsely. "I just want to be able to live again!

"What are you planning?" I ask softly.

"I'm eighteen years old Rosy," Sasha says bitterly. "The guy I love is dead. I saw Lilly and Terry nearly die! I saw what you and Kia done to John. Annushka is dead, well I'm not! I want more than to just exist!"

I am lost for words, I don't know what to say in the face of my sister's pain.

"This is my land Rosy, our mountain owns you. I can see it in your eyes, the only thing you love more than that damn mountain is Micah and your kids. I don't care if you come and go from this valley like you do, you don't love it like I do." Sasha says in a strong but quiet voice. "But I won't share with her!"

"What about Lilly?" I ask after a minute or so silence.

"What about Lilly?" Sam asks as he walks up the hallway towards us. "Kali isn't outside, did she come inside?"

I glance behind me where my daughter sleeps curled up on the floor. The bar of sunshine has moved off her now, the memory of being woken up from naps on the king sized bed Micah and I had shared during our marriage by that same bar of sunshine on my face drifts through my mind.

"Yeah Kali is here," I say and continue to watch her sleep.

"Micah wants to head back soon," Sam says as he stops near Sasha. I glance at her and she meets my eyes, I can see her unspoken pleading in the look she gives me with Sam behind her unable to see her expression.

"I'll carry Kali out for you," Sam says stepping around Sasha. It is hard to swallow my protest that I am capable of carrying her out to the vehicle but I know he just wants to hold his niece.

"Kali, you going to wake up," I urge softly as I squat beside her. Kali frowns scrunching her nose at my voice. I repeat my soft urge and she opens her eyes reluctantly.

"Hey big girl," Sam says brightly. "You want a piggyback ride out to the car?"

Kali swings questioning eyes to me and I smile as I nod at her.

"Uncle Sam give good piggybacks," I reassure her, "Just ask Dacey."

"No! Kali back back ride!" Kali protests as she sits up then climbs to her feet. She climbs onto Sam's back when he squats down and I smile at her as I reach out to brush some stray strands of hair off her face where the carpet had left a faint pattern on her soft skin.

"Say Hi Ho Silver away!" I encourage her.

"Sibba ha way! Go go!" Kali urged excitedly and wriggled her legs in an attempt to dig her heels into Sam's ribs.

Both Sasha and I laugh at Kali's squeals as Sam carefully pretends to try to squash her against the sides of the doorway and hall before ducking up and down in a fake attempt to 'runaway' with her.

"'hayve! 'hayve!" Kali yells fearlessly. "My tell Dacey!"

"Oops! I better be good then," Sam says seriously.

I glance at Sasha and she looks my way, her smile lights up her face as she shakes her head and rolls her eyes. I roll my eyes as well and we both laugh at our oldest brother. As if sensing he is the object of our amusement Sam looks back us, a very contented smile on his lips. It hits me in that moment just how much I have monopolised my daughter since she had climbed onto the bed with the newborn twins and me.

Micah

I glance in the rear-view mirror at Rosy for a few moments before looking out my window once again. She is seated beside Kali with both of the twins in front of them. She has her mother's diary on her lap and seems to be reading it or maybe skimming through it fast might be a better description.

Static crackles from the radio and Steven who is driving gives an annoyed grunt. I turn the dial to find another radio station finally settling on one playing popular country rock music. Behind me I hear Rosy humming along and turn my head to look back over my shoulder at her.

"You seem to find that diary interesting," I say lightly.

"Hmmm," Rosy manages in response.

I glance at each of our children in turn making sure they are all asleep before giving a deep throaty rumble of appreciation as I eye my wife's full breasts.

"Do I need to have you naked and all hot and sweaty beneath me to get your full attention?" I ask in deep husky tones.

"Hey! I'm trying to drive here!" Steven hisses quietly.

"Oh I am sure Micah would let you watch," Rosy says evenly as she lifts her head enough to meet my eyes.

"I hope all the rug rats are asleep," Steven mutters under his breath.

"Why?" Rosy asks looking his way and giving him her full attention. "Are you thinking of finding a quiet spot and pulling over? You stop this vehicle and they are sure to wake up. If I have to put up with a grumpy Kali later ... " She lets the implied threat trail off into the silence that descends on the three of us.

"We're only ten minutes from Jazzy and Mitchell's anyway," Steven mutters under his breath.

"If I knew it wouldn't wake this lot I would wack you alongside the head with this book," Rosy whispers as she leans forward.

"He might like it," I feel I have to warn her and am rewarded with a soft chuckle from her. I listen to the faint sounds as Rosy packs away her mother's diary and the few items that had been removed when she was looking for it in one of the nappy bags.

"What the hell ..." Steven swears softly as we reach halfway along the driveway to Jazzy's home. Even from this distance we can see six or seven extra vehicles near the quarters and there is a commotion going on with several toms. Steven stops the vehicle a safe distance away from the confrontation that is going on and I open my door to get out and find out what is happening.

"That's Mitchell," Rosy exclaims as I close the door and head to where Mitchell is shoving one of the warriors in the chest and slamming him back against the wall beside the door.

"You dirty rotten mongrel! You filthy bastard!" Mitchell yells getting in his face. I recognise the warrior now, Jason Reeves from a clan down in Victoria. Jason Reeves tries to shrug Mitchell's hands off and walk past him towards the visiting vehicles but Mitchell grabs hold of his shirtfront and slams him back against the wall again.

"Tell me why I shouldn't belt you within an inch of your life right here and now!" Mitchell yells at him, rage making his words come out more like a snarl.

"Everything okay?" I ask as I come to a stop not far from Mitchell. Mitchell glanced towards me and bares his teeth in a snarl.

"Here's your chance you low down dirty rotten bastard!" Mitchell yells at Jason Reeves. "Tell Micah what you've been doing! Why you are really here!"

I glance between the two before looking towards the unfamiliar vehicles and taking in who is here before glancing around the rest of Mitchell and Jazzy's clan members. The hostile looks on faces tell me something big is going down between Mitchell and Reeves.

"Apparently there was no service to Steven's, Rosy's or your phones," Mitchell hisses. "I got a tip off this low down piece of shit has been spying on you and Rosy, been sending information to the Dorringtons, The old girl has been told you are already showing favouritism to the twins and neglecting Kali!"

 "That's a lie!" I snarl angrily.

"What?" The way Rosy asks coldly from just behind me has everyone glancing her way nervously, mothers of very young kitts are notorious for their protective attitude towards all their kitts.

"Thelma Dorrington has petitioned The Board for Kali to spend time at their place, like shared custody humans have when parents separate," Lana says from where she is standing behind a row of warriors from her father and stepmother's Clan.

"No!" I yell angrily and stalk to stand in front of Reeves. "Is it true? Have you been here just to spy?" I demand angrily.

"Let him go, sooner he is gone the better," Rosy says in a cold monotone. I glance her way and I can tell by the look on her face that she wants to sink her claws and teeth in the disgraced tom. I watch as he nervously edges his way past Mitchell and tries to keep as much distance between himself and Rosy and I. He glanced back as he opened his car door and Rosy moved to stand beside me.

"You tell them," Rosy called. "You tell them she is my daughter, Micah is my husband. We are her parents and that's all that matters,"

*******

Hey all,

let me know what you think. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please comment and vote.

Mygypsy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Twisted By S.B.H

Teen Fiction

490 8 13
She misses him, she wonders if he ever thinks of her too now that he's gone. She needs to get over him and find someone new, so that's exactly what s...
148 2 11
Waking up with no memory of who he was or what happen to him, Hunter is lost in the world he doesn't remember. Slowly regain his past with each encou...
2.5K 82 15
Harley Quinn left everything she loved behind to be with The Joker forgetting who she was and becoming who he wanted her to become. A master at manip...
154 16 16
Evelyn wakes up in this strange place with no recollection of what happened before she was unconscious. She finds herself in a village where the king...