Chapter 7

Harley:

 I snuggle into the warmth of Drew’s body and rest my head on his chest, he hisses and flinches away from my touch. I bite my bottom lip as I realise I have bumped his sore ribs again and I move away so I am no longer pressed against his side. I am forced to use a pillow instead of his chest and frown as the coldness of the blankets chills me.

 A feeling of being unsettled finally makes me get up from the bed and I pull on Drew’s thick jacket against the cold. I glance back over my shoulder at him once before slipping from the room on soundless feet. The cabin door opens silently beneath my hand and I shut it behind me as I creep down the steps. I follow the cement path to the gravel driveway where I stop and look out at the stars in the dark sky. As I stand there a strange feeling begins to grow within me.

 I turn until I am facing the faint glow from the nearby town but it isn’t that which calls faintly to me. I close my eyes, trying to block out the dim feeling that niggles somewhere deep within me but it stubbornly remains. The darkness of my closed eyes seems to intensify the feeling and I open my eyes with a gasp as I stubble forward a few steps.

 “What are you doing out here all alone?” The question whispered in a dry tone makes me hiss in surprise and I spin around to face Hank.

 “Are you sneaking around spying on me?” I snarl in a soft undertone as I watch him warily.

 “Can’t have you wandering off in the middle of the night,” Hank almost purrs as his eyes rake over me leaving me feeling dirty and defensive. I feel as if his gaze settles on my slightly swollen stomach for much longer than comfortable before he finally lifts his gaze to meet my eyes.

 “Hank,” A low snarling tone comes from the shadows behind him and Mutto steps into view. He glances my way and gives a slight nod before turning his attention back to his brother.

 “You know the tom won’t like it if you mess with her,” Mutto warns softly.

 “I don’t intend to mess with her,” Hank replies softly as he glances back over his shoulder at his brother. When he turns his attention back my way his eyes sweep over my body and seem to linger on my stomach once again. An uneasy feeling flows over me like a cold breeze and I shudder as his eyes meet mine once again. I can’t stop the growl that starts deep in my throat and I wrap both of my arms protectively around myself.

 “You try anything and I will rip you to shreds!” I hiss in a very low tone. Hank chuckles and blows a kiss my way but Mutto steps forward quickly to grab him by the shoulder and jerk him backwards.

 “Remember who she is!” Mutto snarls so softly I almost miss hearing him. He glances at me and jerks his head towards the cabin. “Get inside out of the cold,”

 I glance towards the faint glow of the town lights once more, the strange pull is still there but the fear for the safety of my unborn kitt is stronger. I move off the cement path in a wide swathe to keep clear of the two Weredingos before I head towards the cabin at a fast walk refusing to break into a run. Once inside I make sure the door is locked and lean against it as I catch my breath, fear churns uneasily in my stomach and I glance towards the bedroom where Drew is snoring and wonder how I will convince him to have no more to do with Hank and Mutto. I take care not to wake him as I retrieve my pillow and a blanket before returning to the small front room and the tiny two-seater lounge there.

 I settle myself on the lounge with my legs tucked up close to my body. I want Drew to sleep properly so that he will heal quickly and we will be able to get away from the two dingos and their strange liking for domesticated prey. I listen, there are the faint sounds of someone moving along the side of the cabin, there is silence for a few moments then the faintest of sounds. It takes me a moment to realise someone is peeing by the wall and I curl my top lip in distaste even though I cannot smell the urine. Whoever it is wants me to know they are there - they want me to know they are marking their territory.