Chapter 38

Hi all,

Sorry it has taken me so long to update but I had to get this just right. Please feed my addiction for comments. I love hearing what everyone thinks of the way this story has twisted and turned.

Gypsy

~~~~~~~

Rosy:

I cup my hands beneath the flow from the tap to catch water to splash on my face. I use both hands to gently wash my face and wipe away most of the water before slowly lowering my hands to look at my face in the mirror above the sink. The damage to the left side of my face distorts my features, the way my fringe no longer falls forward in quite the same recent way over my face combines to momentarily disarm me.

"Who are you?" I whisper to my reflection. "What did you do with Rosy?"

My haunted eyes stare back at me and my stomach roils uneasily. The memory of John's execution runs through my mind, of my own part in it and I feel the burn of bile as it rises in my throat. I find myself crouching down and clinging to the sink as my stomach violently empties itself of what little food I had managed to eat for tea. I sob softly as I rest my forehead on my folded arms.

I am finding it hard to live with the actions I have taken even though I know I would make exactly the same decisions if I had to face the same situation again. Choosing to execute a werecat turned rouge was not a decision that rested easily on my conscious. The fact that I had chosen to carry out the act not order someone else to take a life did not make it any easier.

The small of my back hurts and I become aware of the slight tightening around my stomach, I press one hand to my side to feel the muscles there as I squat in front of the sink, my forehead resting against the cool enamel. After a few moments I get to my feet stiffly, my entire body feels lethargic and I brace myself to walk to the room I have been using.

"Where's Kia?" I ask Steven who is standing just inside the bedroom door.

"She's outside by herself," Steven says as he gives me a slight smile. I attempt to smile back but my face and composure crumples and I find myself wiping away tears.

"Hey," Steven murmurs soothingly as he wraps his arms around me.

"Can you go get her please?" I ask after a few moments of him rubbing my back soothingly.

"Where will you be? In with Terry?" Steven asks as he steps to the doorway.

"I'll be here laying down," I say and bite my bottom lip. Steven glances at the bed then back at my stomach where one of my hands rubs soothing circles.

"I'll make sure she comes," Steven announces before leaving the room at a brisk walk.

I make myself comfortable on the bed, earlier I had been laying down at Kia's insistence before my trip to the bathroom because of the infrequent back pain and Braxton Hicks. I am not surprised when Doc comes into the room carrying his small bag, I find it hard to return his smile as he comes to the side of the bed.

"What's happening?" Doc asks quietly.

"Not much, nothing I hope," I say softly and bite my bottom lip uneasily.

"Let's have a look shall we," he murmurs quietly and produces a thermometer he gets me to slip under my tongue.

By the time Kia comes to the room Doc has done a complete examination and is sitting on the edge of the bed, one hand resting against the side of my stomach to feel for any muscle tightening.

"Seems to be infrequent Braxton Hicks," Doc tells Kia as she takes in his presence with a worried frown.

"You have change? Cat do eat?" Kia asks as she turns her full attention to me.