Chapter 14

Harley:

"Hey wake up, we're almost home," The voice pulls me from my fitful sleep. I open my eyes tiredly, the warmth of the air-conditioning in the vehicle makes me want to fall back asleep. Determined to stay awake I stretch my arms above my head and break into a coughing fit when I take a deep breath.

"That cough is getting worse," The werecat behind the wheel comments. I look his way as I search my mind for his name ... Justin, yes that is what he said.

"Very far to go?" I ask as I peer out the windscreen at the road that is illuminated by the headlights in the gloomy late afternoon dusk. Even as I ask the question I glance out the side window and spot lights from several different buildings. I don't need to hear the answer that comes from him as I hear my heartbeat pick up it's pace and feel excitement begin building in my stomach. There's something about the place that feels so familiar.

My gaze darts from building to building and I grasp my seatbelt in my left hand while my right hand seeks the buckle. The windscreen wipers annoy me with the way they allow a thick scattering of misty rain that clouds my vision to cover the screen before moving to wipe it away. The rain is heavy enough to need the wipers on intermittently but not enough for the slow setting. I can feel my heart thudding hard in my chest and the kitt in my womb rolls over and stretches as if protesting the surge of adrenaline that must be racing through my blood.

As soon as Justin stops the vehicle I am freeing myself from the seat belt and reaching for the door handle. Rain comes in as the door opens and I automatically pull the hood on my jacket up and over my head to give me as much protection as possible. I hear Justin calling out behind me but his words are lost beneath the buzz in my ears as I push the door shut behind me. I stare at the building door as I approach quickly, part of me is aware of Justin's calling me. The sound of his door opening, while gravel crunches beneath my feet and the metallic clang as the car door shuts behind him. Inside the faint sounds of music and laughter call me, beckoning me and I reach for the door handle.

Warmth and laughter and something else envelope me as I step inside. Rich smells hit me, strange and yet familiar. I can make out individual voices and my heart leaps into my throat.

"Come back here immediately!" An angry male voice calls somewhere ahead of me and I hear running footsteps.

"My do her candle! Her candle!" A childish voice shouts sounding desperately unhappy. The sound wrenches at me and I move forward. A small form hurtles around a corner ahead of me and comes to a sudden stop. For a moment we stare at each other and I feel tears well in my eyes as my heart lurches painfully. Part of my mind registers the sound of movement both ahead of me and behind me and then there is a loudly sobbing little whirlwind charging at me. A box of matches and a single candle go flying.

"That is it! You are in serious trouble young man! I am going to dust your britches good and proper!" The voice sends shivers through me as I extend my left hand towards the small fury of movement. In my heart I know we have done this so many times before. The way he grasps my hand and I lift my hand as I curl my elbow, his feet finding their grip as he climbs up my leg and side. His strong arms are flung around my neck and I close both arms around him as great shudders shake his body. I hug him close and turn my head as I breathe in the aroma of little boy.

"What the ..." The words trail off as I turn so my body is between the large form stalking up the narrow space towards us and the small body clinging to me.

"You will not lay a hand on this child! How dare you threaten him!" I snarl viciously. "You are nothing but a huge over grown bully! You should be ashamed of yourself!"

I glare at the huge figure in front of me, his face is pale and there is a stunned look on his face for a moment before his gaze flits over my form to the clinging child I hold and fury fills his face.