Chapter 47

Steven

I follow the sound of soft but angry tones as I enter The Quarters. Mikkarl had come from The Quarters to the main house to let me know that the tension between Micah and Rosy was escalating into an argument and with the twins asleep and Kali taking a midday nap he had thought it best to bring the three oldest over to the main house away from the ongoing tension.

It had been six days since Rosy had been the one to drawn blood from each of her children as well as having done an inner cheek swab to collect cells for DNA testing on the youngest four. Thelma Dorrington had protested and demanded Frank Inness be called in to take the blood and cheek swab from Kali. Both Rosy and Micah had been outraged but Thelma Dorrington got her way. The only bright spot of the entire day had been when Lana had requested that she, Kyle and I also have cheek swabs done for a DNA test. She had said it was so that if in the future things got complicated I would always have the test results to remind me Kyle was my son and nothing could change that.

 As I walk into the lounge room I hear Micah hiss something in a low tight voice but I don't catch the actual words. I hurry towards the archway into the kitchen as I hear Micah pacing, heavy steps, too heavy to be Rosy who seemed to make no noise moving about while the twins or Kali were asleep.

  I halt in the arched doorway and take in the two of them in the kitchen. Micah has his back to me as he paces but pauses to glance over his shoulder at me, his gaze slides from me dismissing me as he resumes his pacing. Rosy is facing me but doesn't take her eyes from Micah as he raises both of his hands threading his fingers through his hair as he grips his head in his hands the picture of despair and uncertainty.t.

"Micah please, don't turn this into a I love Kali more than you love Kali conversation," Rose said as her gaze flicks to me before she looks away but not before I see the glimmer of tears in her eyes.

"I get it okay," Rosy took an audible deep breath before continuing. "I get you loved her enough to let her live, I get you loved her enough to keep her here, I get you loved her enough to raise her as your own, I get that you love as is she were your own."

Rosy raised her hands and buried her face in her cupped hands for a few moments before lifting her head and turning to face Micah who had stopped pacing but still held his head in his hands.

"I loved her from the moment I knew I carried her, when I couldn't remember what I had done each day I could remember I carried her and that I loved her, I loved her so much I was willing to put my own life in danger to give her another day, another hour, another minute, every last second I could before she came into this world," Rosy's voice trailed off then she inhaled loudly as if gasping for breath. "And when I couldn't help her, I loved our daughter enough to let her go. So don't think you have a monopoly on pain. It doesn't matter what they do, what they say," Rosy gives him a shaky smile. " The Dorringtons will never be able to stop you loving Kali or her loving you. In her heart you will always be her Daddy. And that is all that matters isn't it?"

"They'll put HIS name on her birth certificate, give her his surname, they want to remove me from her life and Have equal time with her, take her away from us and by agreeing to this paternity test you have played into their hands!" Micah hissed, hurt thickening his voice. Letting out a low growl he turned away from Rosy and stormed out the small door of the kitchen, a wave of hurt and anger preceding him like a boat's bow wave.

The sound of a sniffle pulls my attention back to Rosy and I catch the glimmer of a tear as it trails down her cheek. I walk over to her and enfold her in my arms, she melts against my chest as she slips her arms around my ribs and rubs her face against my chest.

"He's scared and Micah has never done scared well," I tell her gently.

"They won't get her," Rosy says against my chest.