Chapter 2

Drew:

 I watch as Harley sits cross-legged on the floor playing a kids game of Knuckles. Today there are no signs of the clumsy, poor co-ordination she had suffered because of her injuries. Her hair is still short and ragged as if it is reluctant to grow after the trauma her head had received. I smile as her left hand lifts and she runs her index and middle fingers over that long broad scar. The scar that starts at the corner of her left eye, goes back up through her hair and to the far side of the crown of her head. Her fingers find the longer hair there and she strokes it absently for a few moments, all the while her right hand continues tossing, scooping and catching the plastic knuckles.

 “What are you up to? Four-sies? ” I ask. Harley gives a startled gasp and just barely catches the knuckles descending towards her fast moving hand.

 “Do you have to keep doing that!” Harley complains as she turns to look over her shoulder at me with a frown.

 “I was just making sure you hadn’t fallen asleep,” I say with a chuckle as I settle into a chair to watch her. I place the plastic bowl on the small side table by my left knee before using both hands to remove the cling wrap from a container of thin beef strips and one of fresh salad.

 “Hungry?” I ask as Harley puts the toys down.

 “Yes,” 

 I can’t help but watch as Harley rolls onto her hands and knees and crawls towards me. I don’t know if she is doing it deliberately but her motions are slow and sinuously sexy, she reminds me of those ridiculous adds on television with women trying to look feline and sensuous. And where I’ve always felt they failed miserably Harley excels.

 I feel a deep possessive growl rumble up out of my chest as I watch her and I smile at her when she raises an eyebrow. I lift a strip of raw meat from the container, dip it in the honey, soy, and garlic sauce and hold it out towards her. I feel my groin tighten as she takes the strip of meat delicately from my fingers and chews briefly before swallowing.

 She’s put on weight recently, her cheeks aren’t hollow anymore but her eyes still seem too big for her face. Her skin has lost most of its paleness and there is a healthy flush beneath the surface no longer mottled by fading bruises. Her body has lost that unhealthy skinniness and her curves are softly rounded one again. If only her hair would start to grow in properly.

 I watch as she dips snow peas and carrot sticks in the sauce before munching on them hungrily. Today she seems more interested in the salad than the meat.

 “Have you woken up feeling there’s somewhere you’re supposed to be going? Something you’re supposed to be doing this last week?” I ask almost reluctantly.

 “Sometimes,” Harley shrugs and pops a piece of meat into her mouth. “It’s not as strong anymore, and it soon disappears like it never existed.”

 We do this question each weekend and each time I am relieved when it holds less and less importance for her. Three months have blurred whatever had been there until she barely shrugs at the feeling and it’s been nearly a month since she took to wandering off following the feeling that no longer exists.

 “Any headaches?” I ask.

 “Maybe once or twice a day,” Harley says with a shrug as she reaches for a handful of salad. “But they’re just faint aches now.”

 “You got anything you think I should know or questions you want to ask me?” I ask lightly. Harley shakes her head as she bites carrot sticks and chews for a few

seconds before stopping. Her eyes are thoughtful as she looks my way and studies me for several seconds.

 “I thought I smelt something slightly doggy on you last night when you got home late,” She says levelly. Clearly she is aware she smelt something probably beyond her experience even if she had retained her memories after her shattered skull.