Of Mobsters and Men

By TehPeaceMaker

Stefano Vanzetti. You'd have to be living under a rock if you grew up in northern Boston and didn't know who... More

A/N
Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Its been awhile: For new readers
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue
Of Mobsters and Men out now!
Must Read: Sequel
Triquel
Split in Two
Free book promotion

Chapter 35

15.6K 766 313
By TehPeaceMaker

Raelyn

I reread the note and my head started to hurt. This had to be some sick and twisted game. The only person who could know where Vincent is, is Stefano. Then again, Vincent is dead...unless Stefano spared him. I didn't recognize the writing as Stefano's either. I read the note again.

Why would someone just leave this note here? Maybe they wanted me to find it. I stuck the note in my purse and went to look for Alessio.

I entered the house with no intention but to shower and massage my feet. I heard chatter coming from Stefano's office and all if a sudden remembered there were two more vehicles parked outside. Adriano and Sacco were probably here.

I was startled as the door to Stefano's office opened, revealing a man who was on the heavy side and had a very familiar face. I bit my lip. He's Giovanni, Gigi's father. Adriano's laughter was then heard as Giovanni walked defeated out of the room. "Can you believe that bastard?" Adriano asked Stefano, continuing his mockingful laugh.

Giovanni nodded to me, before swallowing hard and exiting the house. That was his car outside.

"You have to be more careful, Adriano. He could've blown your head off." I heard Stefano say as I began walking past the room.

"Could have, but didn't." Adriano shot back.

Adriano's gaze locked with mine and his eyes lit up. "Rae, how are you?" I shook my head. "Could be better." I went up to my bedroom, totally disregarding Stefano's annoying gaze on my form. I didn't even look at him.

I was sitting in the tub of hot water for about half an hour when I heard my phone go off. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. It was Gigi! I mean, who else would it be besides Alessio, Caterina, Adriano, or Stefano?

I wiped my hand with a towel before reaching for my phone and answering the call.

"Raelyn! Oh wow you picked up." Gigi said excited. I missed her voice.

"Look who's talking. You have a lot of explaining to do, Gianna." I said using her real name to emphasize my point. "Ugh, you know how I feel about that name, Rae." Gigi muttered.

"You had me thinking you were dead or something, Gigi. Really, where have you been?" I asked her. I heard her sigh before she spoke up again. "Listen Rae I-I rather talk to you in person. Is there anyway you can meet me at our park?"

"For you, yes. I'll be there."

***

I stepped out of the vehicle and walked to the park bench where I saw Gigi sitting. Alessio was in the car, parked in a view he could watch me closely. Gigi was sitting there, her arms wrapped around her own body and her head snapping up as she heard my footsteps and scrapes along the sidewalk.

"Rae!" She whisper-shouted. I gave her a genuine smile that made the muscles around my mouth hurt.

I sat down on the bench right next to her and we hugged each other so tightly our arms almost locked around each other's bodies. She breathed in my scent and I breathed in hers. As soon as I started rubbing her back, Gigi shook her head and began to cry.

My heart tore as I pulled away from Gigi. "What's wrong, Gigi?" I asked her. My eyes narrowed as tears slipped from her eyes. I'm sure her vision was blurred.

She shook her head once more, looking down into her lap as if she were guilty. "You were right." She whispered. I knitted my eyebrows in confusion. "Right about what?" Gigi wipes her tears with her fingers.

"You were right about Adriano." She said lifting her head up and squeezing her eyes tight. "I thought I was playing the game but he was just playing me. I was the game to him."

"What happened?" I took her hand and squeezed it. Gigi leaned in and rested her head on my shoulder. "Everything was going well until the night before his celebration to become consigliere." She said.
Maybe that explains why she didn't show up.

"The night before, we had sex. Afterwards, I asked him where he saw our relationship in the future. I knew eventually that him elevating in status would shake things up for us. Adriano...He told me he had no intention of marrying me. He said he was currently finding a wife. A virgin wife. A woman of status." Gigi muttered.

I bit my lip as I listened. "I'm the daughter of a soldier. I wouldn't make Adriano more important than he already is. He's a man of tradition and wouldn't settle less for his image of a perfect Italian bride. A woman that comes from a wealthy, noble home."

"He said that to you?" I asked her. Of course he did! What was I asking? If I knew anything about Adriano, it was that he was as honest as honest gets.

"Yes. My heart went behind my own back and grew to fall for him." Gigi said again. I sighed remembering all the warnings I gave to Gigi. She's broken hearted now and it hurt to look at her.

"Adriano got what he wanted. After that night, I swore I was done with him. Last night, Adriano came to my apartment when my parents weren't home. I thought I was done with him but I was only lying to myself. We were...messing around and my father walked in on us." She said crying harder.

I gasped and covered my mouth with my hands. That explained it. That explained her father and Stefano's meeting when I came home from work this evening. I also remembered Adriano's obnoxious and mocking laughter at Giovanni.

"My father was angry when he saw us. He was angry that I gave up my honor before I could be wedded, and he...he disowned me." Gigi said, her voice cracking at the end.

"He disowned you?" I said in disbelief. But why was I in shock? It was very common for daughters to be disowned if their parents discovered that they were no longer virgins. Who would they marry them off to?

"Yes."
"Do you have anywhere to go?" I asked, wiping Gigi's face. "There's a little apartment Adriano and I used to go to meet up. I'm living there now, he's paying for the expenses. It's not so far from here. " She answered.
"I regret getting involved with him in the first place. Then again, it wasn't solely his fault. I allowed things to escalate like this."

***

The following day I was at Adriano's place because Caterina called me over. She wanted to learn how to make cupcakes and I was more than happy to teach her. Plus, I was always in the mood for sweet delicacies.

"So do you live here now?" I asked Caterina.
"Adriano's keeping me here for now. My father gave me his mansion in his will but Adriano doesn't trust me by myself, just yet." She chuckled. I could see the life in Caterina's eyes and her smile was refreshing. She was free and happy.

"How's things between you and my Cousin? I hear you two are avoiding each other." Caterina asked and whistled at the end. Adriano's bigmouth probably told her something.
"Ever since that night Caterina, things between us haven't been there same. He's been avoiding me and I know why, anyway." I told her.

"Why?" She asked curious, decorating the cupcakes with sprinkles. I sighed before speaking. "I indirectly told him that I love him." Caterina widened her eyes and she covered her mouth with four of her fingers.
"Oh! Well that makes sense now. Raelyn, he knows you want him to say it back. He's avoiding you because he wants to know for sure if he loves you, before telling you he does. I've got my cousin figured out to a science." Caterina said and hummed as she went around me.

"Or maybe he just doesn't love me at all." I said again.
Caterina raised her finger. "Not true. Stefano wouldn't have gone through everything he has if he didn't.
The chase to find you...the criticism, the slander of his name, think about it, Rae. He absolutely adores you. I mean, have you seen the way he looks at you?" She giggled.

I knew I still had an uncertain look on my face.
"Still unsure?" Caterina asked wig a grin.

My heart just isn't with this life anymore. I tried to have a different view, I tried to think differently, but this just isn't what I want.

"Caterina, excuse me please. I'm going to ask Adriano if he wants any." I told her, wiping my hands with the napkin. "Of course, Raelyn." She beamed.

I went down the hall and located Adriano's office door. I knew that Adriano had a taste for sweets unlike Stefano, but I wasn't going to him to make inquiries about how many cupcakes he wanted.

I was really going to ask him about the tickets to Brisbane.

"Adriano?" I asked, knocking on his door.
"You're always welcome, Rae." I heard his voice. I opened the door and stepped in, closing the door behind me.

"Have you made up your mind, Rae?" Adriano asked me as I walked to his desk. His pen was dangling from the top of his ear and he looked very relaxed in his chair.
"I just have a question about the tickets." I told him.

"Go ahead."
"Are you sure I won't be traceable if I do get on that plane?" I asked quietly.

Adriano grinned and sat up. "Let me tell you a bit about me, Rae."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I'm the one that did most of the work to hunt you down. Whenever we need to track somebody down, I'm that guy. I'm very good at it actually." His eyes locked with mine when I widened mine in shock. "That was my duty before becoming the consigliere. Nobody in this business is as good as me. I can make it look like you don't even exist. I know the ins and outs of disappearing. So yes, no one will be able to find you...not with the location and airline you'll be acquainted with. It just won't happen."

Wow.

"Time is running out, Rae. What's it going to be? I'm trying to be nice here." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Okay yes, I'm taking the opportunity."  I said back firmly.

"When do you want to depart?"

***
:)
What are your thoughts?

Should Rae take the opportunity?

What are your thoughts on Adriano as a character?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 9.9K 37
Sequel to "Of Mobsters and Men" The Pride is under attack when an unknown enemy steps out of the shadows to settle a score with Capo leader, Stefano...
4.8K 63 15
‼️WARNING‼️ 🔞Don't read if not above 18 or sensitive to sexual content 🔞 Francesca Knight At the young age of 13, on her birthday her father kille...
63K 2.1K 69
"Because I want Lorenzo Russi. I am the one that deserves him, not Casey. Of all the years he was with her, she said he loves her. She really believe...
Dance for you By Jaycee

General Fiction

168K 7.1K 22
Loni is a 21 year old stripper trying to take care of her twin daughters after being cheated in and left to raise them on her own. She barely has tim...