Hadrian Potter, Revenge (A Ha...

By MORTEMAMIGO

Hadrian grows up alone in the obscure shadow of his younger brother, Daniel Potter, The-Boy-Lived. Daniel is... More

The Brother Without
Storm Of Home
Phoenix of the Jungle
Silent Contemplation
Stolen Profanities
The Station
The Manor
The Summer Party
The Start of Unwelcome Conversations
Confrontations
Hatred
Morti
Barmaid's and Beer
Cobra's Strike
Plans and Observations
Fear The Wolf
An Intolerable Future
Dark Times
Mafia Murder
Blood Money
Murderous Suffocation
The Party
Smashed Glass
Miserable Memories
Thunder and Lightening
Truth at Midnight
Maternal Hate
Past Nightmares

Blood Lines

22.1K 591 22
By MORTEMAMIGO

...

'He dragged her down with bloodstained hands.'

...

Hadrian's eyes seemed to ignite, swirling almost possessively when hearing the old man's name. Alec tried to think if he had heard the name before. If it was a pureblood name, he would've known straight away. Alec had been raised that way. His childhood had been structured, framed by blood purity and lessons of high society.

Alec's father's, Vesper Morti, was a cruel man. Alec stood against everything his father stood for, what he believed in. Vesper Morti condemned everyone not born of pureblood. Of course, the man wasn't stupid, he didn't go around slandering and cursing those who were not of superior blood - most of the Ministry were made up of half bloods.

Alec had introduced Hadrian to his father once. It was after their third at Hogwarts and they had just got off the train. The encounter had completely come down to chance, Alec's father had never come to pick him up from the station, it had always been his Aunt. However, on this occasion, Vesper Morti, was waiting callously at the back of the platform.

Somehow, the introduction went better than anticipated. Alec had suspected that his father had noticed a deadly twinkle within the Potter heir's green gaze. A ghost of wickedness, a hint of venom. Of course, Alec hadn't suspected anything less, Hadrian always seemed to persevere. When it came to mudblo.....muggle-borns, however, Vesper Morti could be considered inhumane.

"Hadrian Potter," the old man grovelled out.

He was hunched over as if it was cold, it wasn't, in fact the fireplace crackled gleefully in the corner. Alec frowned, he wasn't sure why they even needed the fire, the summer heat despite the time of night still lingered. The man's stature, was of course, a result of old age. Hadrian's severe gaze narrowed suspiciously, doubt causing shadows to slither upon his angled face. Looking closer, Hadrian found the old man's keen gaze. It was too sharp, too agile.

"Mr Gaunt." Hadrian replied, remaining guarded.

Hadrian pulled out a chair and dragged it across the cool stone, gracefully lowering himself down into it. As if sensing Hadrian's suspicions, Alec pulled out the chair that sat to Hadrian's right. He folded himself into it, his body straight and tense - the manoeuvre was an obvious power move.

"The very moment you are underestimated, you make a quantum advance," Hadrian pronounced cryptically.

Hadrian didn't look at the old man, his gaze found Rose, who remained behind the bar. She was staring, compulsively. Hadrian's comment made the elder Gaunt freeze. Hadrian ignored the old man, acting as if nothing had happened, his gaze remained on Rose.

Rose wasn't stupid, she was pragmatic enough to know this wasn't about her. It looked like Hadrian was making a point. Apparently he wasn't going to speak until he was met with a response. Rose thought it amusing how he did not even dignify the old man with his attention. Rose knew from personal experience, how cunning Hadrian could be. Everything about Hadrian was entirely pre-eminent. He was totally male, and not just because of his appearance. There was an underlying dominance within the very soul of Hadrian Potter that could not be ignored. You smelt it as he walked into a room, like prey and predator, his very presence was pronounced in potency. Hadrian knew the old man was hiding something, so he waited. Only a few moments later, the old man started to cackle.

"How did ya figure it out?" Mr Gaunt asked impressed.

"We try to hide our agenda's but we forget that our eyes speak, Mr Gaunt." Hadrian replied, smirking slightly.

Hadrian reached into his trouser pocket, his fingers gripping onto his zippo. Alec slammed a packet of Armenian Ducat cigarettes onto the table, the sudden noise, making some of the occupants jump. Hadrian sent Alec a watchful gaze, his eyes searching for the cause of his sudden temper. Alec returned the gaze with glare of his own, his dark perilous form standing out in the pub.

Hadrian looked out of place here, he was like the rich boy who came to give back to the impoverished community. The beautiful summer outfit caused the rest of the room to appear as if they were homeless. Hadrian's profound gaze continued to watch Alec as he lit up the cigarette.

Larkus Gaunt's gaze wandered across Hadrian features, scanning each of them, looking for some sort of clue. Hadrian looked away from Alec, giving one last sharp glance, before his eyes found those of Larkus Gaunt. Larkus no longer looked 85 years of age. Now that the deception was over his stature had straightened, his skin seemed younger, his hair appearing fuller. Larkus Gaunt was still an older man, mid sixties at least, but he no longer depicted a man so close to death.

Larkus stared at Hadrian's relaxed posture, his gaze crawling from his tension in body to the lit cigarette in his hand. The man's observation were obvious, so obvious Hadrian suspected he was doing it on purpose, intending on making him feel uncomfortable. Despite, the man appearing younger, Hadrian could still see a hushed madness within his intelligent gaze.

"A Potter placed into Slytherin...." Larkus commented.

"Howw ssstrange.." Larkus added, stressing the sounds.

Larkus leant forward, quickly, so quickly Hadrian almost flinched... almost. Looking at him this closely, Hadrian could see the true configuration of the man's face - slender nose, bony jaw, chiselled cheeks. Everything about the man seemed so sharp and aware. The old man grinned, revealing equally sharp teeth. Hadrian didn't move an inch, he didn't react to the man's chaotic display of madness.

"You a cunning boy?" Larkus jeered.

The man seemed unable to control his eyes, they darted across the panes of Hadrian's face, straying from his eyes, to his lips and finally landing on his hair. Hadrian wondered how long it had been since the man had actually spoken to someone. Hadrian didn't reply to Larkus's question, he didn't need to. After a moment of silence, Larkus gave in.

"You wanted information?" Larkus asked Hadrian, picking up his glass.

Alec watched the strange man take a long sip, the beer escaping his lips causing him to drag his sleeve across his mouth. The man didn't seem embarrassed by his blunder, in fact, Alec didn't suspect the man had even noticed. Alec's gaze moved over to Hadrian's tense features, still unsure of the meaning of the meeting.

"Lord Voldemort." Hadrian asked directly not wasting anymore time.

Alec's face flickered with shock, it was only for a moment but a shadow of surprise had showed itself. Larkus Gaunt raised eyebrows, Hadrian was sure it was accidental. Perhaps, this was the man's first real emotion. The man seemed to notice his slip, therefore, sighed heavily. For the first time that evening the man seemed to appear normal. Hadrian leant forward and crushed his cigarette into the glass ashtray.

"You obviously know a little..." Larkus spoke, looking off into another world.

Hadrian nodded.

"Voldemort wasn't the beginning." Larkus started.

"In the beginning, there was a man named Tom Riddle..." Larkus added, his eyes searching his mind.

"I suppose you already know that..." Larkus spoke, his eyes finding Hadrian.

"Yes." Hadrian nodded.

"My father was Morphin Gaunt, brother to Merope Gaunt..." Larkus revealed, his eyes distant.

Hadrian eyes danced thoughtfully his mind connecting the pieces of information together. He didn't interrupt, now that the man was finally making sense, he didn't want to stop him. Hadrian shifted in his seat, impatience claiming his bones. He didn't have to wait long, Larkus soon continued.

"Before my father's capture he knocked up a pretty young witch from a couple of villages over. I was the result. I never met my father, I never had any desire to. The way my mother spoke of the Gaunt family, I was lucky..." Larkus paused.

"You say you're mother hated them. Why, then, do you carry their name?" Hadrian asked, eyes strained.

Larkus blinked a couple of times before his lips stretched into a small, reminiscent smile. It was one that came with a old memory. A moment past, Hadrian remained quiet, waiting for the man to gather his thoughts.

"My mother was a superstitious woman, Hadrian Potter," Larkus smiled, his eyes meeting Hadrian's.

"She thought that if she hadn't named me after my father, he would haunt her until the day she died.." Larkus revealed, understanding the silliness of it.

"Eh, maybe even in death too..." Larkus laughed to himself.

There was moment of silence, no one spoke, except the other pub goers who bantered with their beers in hand.

"Why are you telling me this?" Hadrian questioned suddenly.

"You don't want it?" Larkus grinned wildly.

"Of course I do, I just didn't expect to get it so easily..." Hadrian remarked honestly.

"To tell the truth...." Larkus sighed, sounding old and tired.

"Merope Gaunt's tale has not been told for a long time. My mother told me that she used to be the talk of the village. They would say they've never such a defeated-looking person." Larkus spoke, emotion in his voice.

"Defeated?" Hadrian asked.

"Defeated. If you heard the song you'll understand..." Larkus grimaced.

"The song?" Hadrian asked.

"Sing it." Alec demanded, at the same time.

Larkus Gaunt looked between the two boys, his eyes cast full of uncertainty. Hadrian glanced at Alec, his eyebrows raised questionably at his sudden interruption. Alec didn't respond, he only shrugged his shoulders listlessly. Larkus Gaunt watched the two with amusement marking his features.

...

"Hair damp, dank and dull.

Face pale, clammy and null.

She tropes and tropes without a soul,

oh merope, merope, the world taken its toll."

...

Larkus was met with silence.

"Merope Gaunt, was Tom Riddle's mother." Hadrian stated into the silence.

Larkus nodded slowly.

"While, what Merope Gaunt did next was unforgivable... you have understand what she had suffered." Larkus warned his voice deeper, darker.

"Her father?" Hadrian asked.

"Marvolo and her brother Morfin left quite the mark." Larkus confirmed, nodding sadly.

"Merope Gaunt finally found something she wanted. One day she spotted a handsome, wealthy muggle from the village, a boy named Tom Riddle." Larkus told, seeming sad.

"But Merope was no fool..." Larkus laughed mirthlessly.

She knew full well that she would never be able to seduce the boy. So, of course, she did what any other desperate woman would do... she dosed him with a love potion." Larkus disclosed.

"Voldemort's father..." Hadrian whispered, more to himself but the man picked up on it.

"Yes, Merope fell pregnant. There were many versions of how Tom Riddle had escaped Merope's enchantment, leaving her, pregnant and destitute. The most common theory, was that Merope was so in love with Riddle she couldn't bear to enslave him any longer." Larkus swallowed tightly.

"Merope Gaunt died, on the steps of a London orphanage... the same orphanage, Tom Riddle Jr was to spend his early years. According to the staff, her dying wish was that her baby should resemble his father...." Larkus looked into the distant.

"I have given my lineage much thought, Hadrian Potter." The man now turned and stared at Hadrian.

Hadrian returned the stare with his own, his hard green eyes meeting a distant broken pair. The story of Merope Gaunt seemed a close one for Larkus Gaunt. Hadrian suspected his mother told him of it, like a fairytale, but without a single prince and no sign of a happy ending.

"I believe the reason Voldemort grew up devoid of love was because his mother died for want of it." Larkus said perceptively.

"Voldemort's father's love was stolen rather than earned." Larkus persisted.

"Merope destined her son to a life of cruelty and indifference." Larkus finished.

Yes, Hadrian thought, yes she did - his mind not on Voldemort at all.

....

'Who's gonna stop him?'

....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.8K 2.1K 20
A week has passed since Sirius's death and Harry is not allowed to grieve. His friends think he is ridiculous, and when he tries to open up to them...
Dark By Alysha

Fanfiction

1M 34.5K 45
Don't read please. Thank you. Chaos and war had befallen the Wizarding World and there was little to no hope of saving it when Harry found himself ba...
761K 16.8K 63
Thomas potter is the "Boy-Who-Lived." His fame and future named by the beloved wizard of the light, Albus Dumbledore. But what happens if he made a...
14.8K 472 59
To the outside world Isabelle Luvair had it all.. but to her, something was always missing. She hoped to fill the ever looming void, when her overpro...