Avoiding Cliches

By VaporWhore

Cliché /klēˈSHā/ a very predictable or unoriginal thing or person. Cliches. They're everywhere. Hated by ever... More

Chapter 1: Spilling Lunch Trays
Chapter 2: Hatred For All
Chapter 3: My Cheesecake!
Chapter 4: The Party and the Plan
Chapter 5: Free Boyfriend Jeans for Me
Chapter 6: Nice Mom, Annoying Ass Son
Chapter 7: Dinner with the Parents
Chapter 8: Gossip Folks
Chapter 10: Idioms for Idiots
Chapter 11: Your Subscription is Here
Chapter 12: The Worst
Chapter 13: New Setting, Same Nuisance
Chapter 14: Win Some, Lose A Lot
Chapter 15: 50 Shades of Awkward
Chapter 16: Date With the Sister
Chapter 17: Hoco Fo'sho
Chapter 18: Linked
Author's Note
Chapter 19: 2 Spooky 4 Me
Chapter 20: The Weekend Off
Chapter 21: Let's Talk About Friday
Chapter 22: Help I've Fallen
Chapter 23: Escape the Room... and Kane
Character Change
Chapter 24: Can We Just Talk?
Chapter 25: So Happy to Hate You Again!
Author's Note
Chapter 26: Momma's Coming
Chapter 27: Christmas Give Me A Break
Chapter 28: Different
Chapter 29: New Year, New... Whatever
Chapter 30: Skipping Shenanigans
Chapter 31: Things Have Changed
Chapter 32: Wendy Interview
Chapter 33: Who I Like? Isn't It Obvious?
Chapter 34: Bathroom Stall
Chapter 35: All Falling Apart Now
Chapter 36: Take Care
Chapter 37: Confrontations
Chapter 38: Oops
Chapter 39: Awkward Fallout
Chapter 40: Rises the Blue Moon

Chapter 9: The Big Game

3.3K 177 36
By VaporWhore

Pandora trudged out her car to her house as she heard a house door open and close. She instinctively let her eyes trail to the sound and met Kane's eyes. He had a big duffle bag over his shoulders with football pads hanging over his bag. Tonight was Wilkin's most popular game against their rival school, William Ryan or the Vikings.

"You better not lose!" Pandora teased as she continued to make her way to her front door.

"I never lose, Sweetheart," Kane confidently assured. He reached his car and opened the backseat.

"I'm sure you don't," Pandora agreed with an actual natural smile.

Kane stood back up with a smirk, "Just for your doubt, if we win with my help you gotta give me a kiss," he bargained and Pandora laughed. He threw his bag in his backseat and leaned on the top of his car.

"My kisses are worth a lot," Pandora didn't miss the chance to brag with a playful shrug.

"I guess that's the jackpot then," Kane winked and she rolled her eyes.

"Just go and win," Pandora laughed as she unlocked her front door.

"Just for you my love," he promised as he blew her an exaggerated kiss before getting in his car. Pandora flipped him off but laughed as she entered her house. She sighed before continuing her way to her room to go straight to the shower. Her friends were coming over around six o'clock so they could go to the game together. She put her speaker on, blasted her music and went to take a shower.

It took Pandora about forty minutes to take a shower, get dressed, and do her makeup in a cute little style with black stripes on her cheek for the black out. She heard her doorbell as she finished the last stripe and went down to answer the door.

"Who is it?" Pandora asked when she reached the door.

"Your favorite people in the whole wide world," Phoenix's voice muffled through the door. Pandora rolled her eyes with a smile as she opened the door.

"Aw, you look cute," Laurel complimented as she pointed to Pandora's cheek.

"Same with you guys," she replied with a wink.

"Get your stuff, we're already late," Eve impatiently rushed and Pandora chuckled.

"You're the only one that actually cares about football so you're going to have to wait," she warned as she purposely took her time to make her way up the stairs for her things. Eve groaned as she stayed at the foot of the steps. "Don't worry I won't take too long," Pandora assured. She grabbed her bag and keys and turned the lights off before going back downstairs.

"Ready?" Laurel asked from her spot in the couch. Pandora nodded and walked to the front door to leave. As she walked to my car she saw Rosalia and Bella at their front door. They each had a Wilkins t-shirt on. They waved and Pandora gave a small wave back.

"Going to the game?" Bella asked.

"Of course," Pandora answered as she pointed to her painted cheek.

Bella laughed, "Well, sit with us if you find us and are willing to sit with the old folk," she welcomed and Pandora nodded with her own laugh.

"Will do," she told as she reached her car. She gave another wave goodbye before getting in her car. She waited for her friends to settle in their places. "Kane's mom and sister," Pandora readily informed as she started the car.

Phoenix gasped, "Ohh."

"Aw, they're watching him play," Eve cooed from the backseat and Pandora pulled out of her parking spot.

"Oh yeah, the family's sweet, the son is the demon," she corrected.

"Well, let's hope he's good with football at least," Laurel said before switching the hip hop station to a country station. Pandora almost swerved as she urgently tried to change the station.

The girls reached the school field and found seats in the bleachers. Pandora looked across the field to the other team and could see a sea of red with the students and some parents faces painted. Her own side had students and some parents- even some faculty with stripes of black over their face.

"I really hope we win this for senior year," Eve sighed as she drummed her fingers on her knee. Pandora nodded in agreement, still scanning the field while Eve started talking about last years lost. Pandora froze as her eyes stopped on Alex with the same new girl he called crazy. Eve even trailed off herself as she saw what Pandora saw. Pandora's face was contorted in obvious confusion and Alex just shrugged and winked before sitting down with the new girl's friends.

"Alex is un-fucking-believable," Phoenix voiced the group's exact thought.

"He's such a man whore," Pandora joked before Ryan's side roared for their team. Her fellow seniors around her booed in opposition. The girls joined, ignoring the hard looks from the faculty. Wilkin's cheerleaders jogged out with their self made banner and held it out. Wilkin's side boos quickly changed to cheers and the football players finally made their appearance and ran through the banner. Their side all stood up and some senior boys stomped their feet. The same group start singing the instrumental part of Seven Stripe Nation and almost instantly our bleachers were vibrating and shaking as everyone joined. Pandora didn't know how long she cheered but was light headed by the time she sat down. She fanned myself and sighed in hope of letting the lightness pass.

Phoenix tapped Pandora's arm with her eyes on the field. "Number sixteen has a perky ass," she told the group and they all searched for a sixteen. Pandora finally spotted him and Phoenix wasn't wrong.

Pandora nodded in agreement, "He does, I wonder who-" the player took his helmet off revealing his face making her words stop in my throat. She wished she had choked on them instead. He ran his hand through his dark brown hair. Pandora's dread was backed up when she fully registered who number sixteen was. "Fuck," Pandora hissed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"That's Kane," Laurel stated and Pandora could hear her smile.

"I-I know," Pandora sighed reluctantly.

"I hope you know I'm telling him too," Eve warned and Pandora could see Eve stand up from the corner of her eye.

Pandora yanked her back down, "No, you're not," Pandora callously countered.

"Yo Kane!" Phoenix called out with her hands cupped around her mouth. Pandora snapped up to her feet with her eyes wide.

"Stop it!" Pandora yelled with her panic rising.

"Pandora Joyner said that you had a nice ass!" Laurel joined the evil plan. Pandora held her head as the students around the group looked in their direction.

"You bitches," Pandora barked as she flayed her arms around her to hit her friends, "his family is here," she told as she rubbed her face, still minding her makeup. She was able to gain a little confidence to look up to the field again to unfortunately find Kane's eyes. He winked and pointed to Pandora with his smug smirk before walking to the big huddle the rest of the team was in. Pandora groaned and flipped her "friends" around her off. "I fucking despise you guys right now and I need this game to already start."

🌻
The game was close but Wilkins won by a touchdown. Everyone slowly filed out with some people stopping to take pictures the players.

"That's a hundred for me," Phoenix bragged as the group got up from the bleachers.

"How?" Pandora questioned.

"Well, you remember Frank from grade school," Phoenix started, "I met him after the game we lost last year and he was being an asshole about it. I got prideful and bet him that we would win this year. He said one hundred dollars and I stupidly agreed-" the group knowingly groaned, "but at least we won?" she added with a shrug.

"You're lucky we won," Eve told, "The game was close."

"I know that's why I was so silent during the last quarter. I don't have a hundred dollars, who do I look like?" The group laughed as they reached the exit. Pandora's laugh was quickly cut off in her throat when an arm was draped over her shoulders.

"How about that kiss, Sweetheart?" Kane asked and lowered his head down with puckered lips. Pandora quickly put her hand out to push Kane's head back as she also stepped out of his arms.

"Think again, Jawline," Pandora denied and she heard a snort. She finally looked away from Kane to her friends expecting it to be from Phoenix or Eve, but she saw Bella instead covering her mouth as she shook in laughter.

"Let's go, Kane you're embarrassing yourself," Rosalia teased and Bella laughed louder. As Laurel laughed, Pandora almost missed Kane's tinted cheeks in the darkness. Phoenix and Eve tried to muffle their laughter but it was impossible for Phoenix to ever muffle her loud chortle. Laurel on the other hand openly laughed her silent laugh.

"Pandora, what's your Snapchat? I have to send you the hilarious pic I just took of that moment," Bella asked and Pandora just realized Bella's phone had been out this whole time. Pandora chuckled as she pulled her phone out for Bella to scan my Snapcode. When they added each other she received a message from Bella and Pandora eagerly opened the picture. Pandora erupted in laughter again. Bella had perfectly captured her scrunched up look of disgust as she shoved Kane away. Pandora saved the picture to her phone.

"Thank you for that," Pandora said as she put her phone away.

"Of course, and again we definitely have to hang out like I said," Bella reminded and Pandora nodded.

"After the gift you blessed me with, we definitely will," Pandora promised. "I'll probably see you guys soon, bye," she waved as she started to take small steps to the exit.

"It was nice seeing you Pandora," Rosalia said as she and Bella waved back.

"Same with y'all." Pandora walked out the exit completely and the girls went the big crowd in hopes of finding her car.

🌻
Hope you enjoyed.
Vote
Comment
Follow
Temporary Riddance

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.5K 1K 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...
973K 72.2K 49
"I love how this book is turning out!😍 Not cliche at all!" - i_hatecliche "We might live next door to each other," Haley said, "but we don't live in...
4.3K 272 21
"We wasted so much time not loving each other that we fell in quickly. Of course we were going to make a mess..." x Cliche on purpose. Also unedited.
19.4K 777 36
-------Winter 2017------ Cover by Ellipticall*** Evelyn Williams just wants to be a lawyer. She doesn't know what "kind" yet - but she will be a la...