Threshold of a new life(compl...

By joebrown17

When Ruby James had failed her promotional examination in Benson college, she was advised to repeat the class... More

Author's note
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Author's note
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter thirty-two
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-five
Chapter thirty-six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter thirty-nine
Chapter forty
Chapter forty-one
Chapter forty-two
Chapter forty-three
Chapter forty-four
Chapter forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter forty-nine
Chapter fifty
Chapter fifty-one
Chapter fifty-two
Epilogue
Author's note
Review

Chapter twenty-three

1.8K 363 19
By joebrown17

It's been fortnight since Joy and I weren't talking, Benjamin and I were now best of friends, coupled with a lot of drama. It was still in these period of time that I got to realise that Faith didn't have a thing for Chuka. She had a thing for some other guy, who was a mystery. But Chuka had no slight idea. In fact, no one knew, apart from myself, Faith and the person she was talking to over the phone, which I eavesdropped on. Poor Chuka!

Benjamin and I were now fund of each other. And everyday that  passed by, my likeness for him seemed to increase. In fact, it got to a point that I dreamt of us making love. Don't blame me, blame my heart for choosing him.

"Good morning mum." I gallantly walked down the stairs. I was looking prettier as the days passed by and I now make my hair. Don't I deserve some accolades?

I was putting on a white sleeveless top and a black tight trouser, which revealed my shape massively. I tied a jean jacket round my waist and wore white snickers with a jean face cap. I looked hot! And more like a dancer, might add.

"How are you dear?" She gave me a one sided hug with a peck in the cheek. This was unlike her.

"Mum, ain't you going to work today?" I sat on the dining chair.

"I'm not going." She smiled broadly. Was it just me or she looked extremely elated today?

I scoffed."Why?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

She cocked an eyebrow before saying, "Don't tell me you've forgotten?"

"Forgotten what?" I was confused.

"It's your dad and I wedding anniversary!" She said, happily.

"Oh!" I stated in realisation.

"Common, eat your food dear or you'd be late."

——————

It was break time and Benjamin was with me. We were sitting together, chit-chatting. Joy kept on throwing glances at him and glares at me. I felt totally bad for her. I felt like I had betrayed her and was a boy friend snatcher. But come to think of it, they were never dating. In fact, Benjamin didn't even know her not to talk of them being friends. So I better get over the guilt feeling.

We kept on chatting until, Chuka rudely interrupted us.

"Guy, make we go chow." He interrupted, not looking at me.

We turned to look at him before Benjamin uttered a word, saying, "Guy, dey go. I go come meet you later."

Did Benji just speak pidgin language?

His voice sounded cute, if I do say so. He sure has the accent and I guess he was fluent too.

Chuka stood in front of us, folding his arms around his chest and glared at Benjamin.

"Guy, na because of girl you no wan come with me shey?" I must say, Chuka also sounded good but I preferred Benji. He looked at me then rolled his eyes. He sounded angry too. But why?

"Chuk..." Benjamin started to say but I cut him off.

"Benji, it's cool. I'd be fine." I gave him a go ahead to go with Chuka.

"But I don't want to go now." He said angrily.

"Benji, I'll be fine." My eyes were pleading for him to go with Chuka right at the moment. I didn't want any problem.

"Sure?" He asked calmly.

Awwn, he looks so cute.

I replied with an assuring nod. Then he and Chuka left. Actually, Chuka stormed out.

Benjamin's POV

"Dude, what with the attitude?" I asked Chuka immediately we got out of the class.

No response.

"Is that the way I disturb you when you're with your babe?"

"Oh, so now she's your babe?" Chuka asked with an angry tone.

"I never said that." My voice subsided.

"Then what's going on between you both?" He eyes were burning with anger and...jealousy?

"She's just my friend." My voice seemed to be failing me now.

"Then what am I, your enemy?"

"No! What's wrong with you man?"

"No..." Chuka started to say before Faith barged in, cutting him off.

"What's going on here?" Faith interrupted. She was obviously confused.

"You know what bro, let's just go grab lunch." Chuka dragged me along with him, leaving Faith behind in her perplexed state.

"Well, what about me?!" She screamed.

"You can eat your confused self!" I screamed back, winking at her. Hence, Chuka and I chuckled.

"Mad man." Chuka nugded me on the shoulder while we kept on walking.

Break was over and we all marched to the class. Immediately I got in, I felt my heart beating faster than usual. What was wrong with me?

I looked straight and saw my Ruby sitting alone in the chair. Her head bowed. She looked so beautiful. She looked like an angel, and my feelings for her kept on growing as each blessed day passed by.

Should I go sit with?

As I walked up to her, Chuka voice made me halt and she looked up at me immediately.

"Bro, where are you going?" Chuka asked with a furrowed eyebrows.

I turned back to look at him and gulped before say, "Huh..I just...is that were we sat in the morning?" I played charade.

I could see skepticism in his eyes. "Or you wanted to go sit with Ruby."

I scoffed. "Nah. Why would I?" Instantly, I regretted what I just said. What if she was hurt or angry. I didn't turn to see the expression on her face, but I could feel she was hurt and I was totally sorry. Thus, I made a mental note in my heart to apologise after class.

I walked up to where Chuka and Faith were and sat beside Faith, whereas, she was sitting in between Chuka and I. I sneaked a glance at Ruby, but she looked indifferent. I couldn't tell what was going through her mind, but I knew for a fact that she was hurt.

After closing, like I said I would go apologise to her. As I was about going 'cause she was already packing her books into her bag ready to leave, Chuka called me to follow him somewhere. I felt he did it intentionally so that I wouldn't get to talk to her. Because he noticed I was waiting for her to pack her things completely.

"Where?" I asked angrily.

"Let's go and play game."

"Seriously?" I shrilled. "Guy, I don't want to play."

"Okay." He shrugged and then left smiling. Why is he smiling?

I turned to check if Ruby was still there and I saw a disappeared Ruby. She had left.

"Shit!" I cussed.

I was seethe. I stormed out of the class and hurried to Chuka and Faith.

Ruby's POV

My walk home wasn't pleasant. I was sad, but I'd pass. I got home safe but not sound. From the look of things, one could tell I wasn't too happy.

No one was in the living room, so I ran to my room and saw Rachel laying on the bed, with her phone in her hands. She probably was chatting.

"Hey Rachel. Is mum around?" Remembering that today was mum and dad wedding anniversary, brought a smile to my face.

"No." She dropped her phone beside her and sat up.

I tossed my bag on the bed and slothfully threw myself on the bed.

"I can see you are exhausted." Rachel stated the obvious.

"Yeah. So where did mum go?" I got up a little from my bed. I was half lying down.

"She said she wanna go get something." She rolled her eyes.

"But this one that mum did not go to work today, are they planning anything?"

"Actually, yes. Why should I not tell you?"

"Tell me what?" I was confused.

"Okay, mum told me not to tell you and Richard. She and dad are having a romantic dinner today, but not here. It's in some place which she didn't reveal to me. So both of them would not be back today until tomorrow. Don't worry, there's food and also, she dropped you guys lunch money and transport fare for tomorrow." She winked at me after she was done talking. "And also, don't tell Richard about this." She pointed her index finger at me.

"Wow, that's so..romantic." I smirked, looking at the ceiling dreamily.

"Ah know. They are just so non-platonic, that at this their age, they could come up with such idea. They are just couple goals for me." She hugged her pillow dreamily too.

"You know what, since they wouldn't be coming back today, why don't we try something fun." She suggested.

I sat up, looking at quizzically. "What?"

"Like, maybe watch TV till dawn or just play games. You know what I mean sha."

"I seriously don't know what you mean. Besides, if we don't want Richard to know about them not coming back today, we can't do any of those stuffs."

She scoffed. "Are you listening to yourself now, Richard is not dumb. He would definitely find out. Don't even be surprised if he says, since mum and dad ain't coming back today let's watch TV all night and I ain't going to school tomorrow."

I sighed. "Let's just be responsible. Not like they traveled."

"Yeah. That's true." She sighed, feigning a sackless face.

"But the good thing is that, we are free this evening and besides, you're the lucky one. You don't go to school, neither do you go to lesson, so you could watch TV as long as you wish."

"Hmm..that's true." She got up from her bed and headed to the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Just wanna go prepare some things I would use for my night in the living room." She winked at me and then exit the room.

I nodded my head, smiling. "Crazy girl." I mumbled.

I brought my phone out and turned on the data connection. Benjamin was online and he had sent a message. I clicked on it immediately.

Benjamin: Hey there. I'm extremely sorry about what happened today. I don't know what was wrong with Chuka, but I apologise on his behalf. And for my response I gave when Chuka said I was going to sit with you, it was a slip of the tongue. I didn't mean it. I'm so sorry if you got angry.

Jeez! What the hell! Quite a long note he poured out here. And dear, I'm not angry with you.

* * * * *

Vote! Vote!! Vote!!!

😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...
206K 2.6K 49
Four years. That's how long it has been since Sebastian saw his best friend's sister Maya. She was the sweetest seventeen year old girl you probably...
219K 7.8K 64
"You expect me to forget everything?" His voice comes out as a whisper. "To act like it doesn't hurt me to see you with him or that I'm still not cra...
523 66 32
What would you do if your mum left the country for three weeks? Bianca stays with her mum's friend and her two children. However, she gets the shock...