The Bloodlust Alpha

By Youre_My_Sanctuary

Highest in Werewolf: #2 "Selene, my daughter, please hear us out. I know we don't deserve it, but your sister... More

copyright
summary//disclaimer
prologue
1|| gone she goes
2|| red roses
3|| forsaken me
4|| reunion
6|| sexual tension
6.1|| wildflower
7|| death of me
8|| beauty and the beast
9|| please, raizel
10|| terrible liar
10.1|| [EXTRA] dates
11|| the wildflower of my heart
12|| wrath
13|| break
14|| marks
15|| yours, mine
16|| love
17|| the dress
groupchat shenanigans
18|| it's what led me to you
19|| only you
19.1|| blue
20|| real
21|| what was his
22|| haven't lost everything
23|| demand
24|| the alpha of greyhound
25|| the hellhound
26|| karma
27|| disrespect
28|| liar
29|| duskfall

5|| the bloodlust alpha

368K 12.4K 43.8K
By Youre_My_Sanctuary

||5||

The Bloodlust Alpha

***

The Bloodlust Alpha

Zayn - Entertainer

"Well, that was quite a show."

I didn't look away from the road to know that Noah had an annoyingly smug expression on his face. I could feel his excitement and pride swelling through our bond. He made damn sure I knew how good he was feeling. How much he enjoyed what he witnessed. The overwhelming satisfaction he got from the little show. The way his voice was slightly higher and pressed than usual was also a dead giveaway. He claimed to have a love for drama.

"My favorite part was 'please make an appointment' but then again, the whole thing was great. There's so much to choose from."

He sighed in content before looking at me seriously,

"I'm afraid I'm falling hard for you, Alpha. Don't tell Mailia. It could be our little secret."

The urge to smile was getting harder to resist. So I didn't. My lips tugged up and I shook my head in amusement. I made a mental note to tattle on him so he could face the wrath of his mate. Goddess knows he'd rather face any punishment I'd give him than be given the silent treatment by his beloved destined. Gripping the wheel in my hands, I glanced over to him. Noah had been talking about this for the last thirty minutes of our drive home. He made me feel like a celebrity with the latest scandal from the way he was talking. Like I just had a mini cat fight with some girl and ended on the front cover of tabloid magazines.

Except in this case, a dog fight.

Taking a left turn, we entered pack territory and nodded at the warriors guarding the border. From a glance, I saw our best fighters aside from Isaac watching with caution as we approached. Eyes narrowed in alert and bodies tense in caution. The Head Warrior lurched forward, ready to jump down in front of the car when his gaze met mine. He backed off immediately but said nothing. He waited for his comrades to take notice themselves.

When they caught scent of who we were, they relaxed. Black eyes swirling back to their original shades. They bowed in recognition before pulling the metal gates open.

Welcome back, Alpha. Beta Noah.

Noah linked back,

Keep your eyes open.

Driving into the lot, I felt relieved to see nothing had changed. It was always like this whenever I left pack territory. A small part of me was always afraid that when I came back, everything would be set into flames. Lives would've ended, bodies laying around in a puddle of their own blood, families torn apart and children knowing nothing of the horrors that await them. Absolutely anything could happen at any given second.  I learned that the hard way with the attack at Duskfall .

I was certain I wouldn't be able to get back up again if I had to witness the same thing happen twice. Not when I was the sole person in charge of protecting them. Once I parked the car, I unbuckled my seatbelt to find Noah's eyes flashing blank. He remained completely still for a few seconds before his eyes returned to its usual vibrant green. His posture stiffened, expression wiped clean of any lightheartedness.

"Chancellor Williams sent a memo. There has been a change of plans, the two rogues are staying at the Capital. He wants you to conduct the interrogations there. Xeneron has been keeping a number of rogues around the territory. Reports say they've found some lurking near the woods. The Chancellor doesn't want to risk the chances of the two escaping by bringing them out."

A frown inscribed itself on my face. I knew things were a little suspicious. Xeneron wasn't going to give them up that easily. Fio and Val knew far too much to simply be discarded like used tissues. They had bigger roles than just being his henchmen carrying out orders. They probably had a good amount of knowledge for future plans and campsites. Xeneron knew, only too well, the risks he'd have if they decide to talk. Which made the rogues all the more important. Knowing Chancellor Williams, he'll make sure the possibility of escape is zero before giving up our valuable subjects.

I had no plans to argue with that.

As much as I wanted to tear them limb from limb in my territory and away from prying eyes, I wasn't desperate enough to put their use in jeopardy by demanding them here. Still, they wouldn't escape my clutches. Just because they couldn't be brought here, didn't mean I'd make the interrogation a walk in the park. Just because I couldn't bring them, didn't mean I couldn't bring things to them.

I had a few select tools in mind.

I hummed, already pinning for a chance to face those two again. My wolf sat on her hind legs, jaw parted with her tongue sticking out in anticipation. The thirst for their blood only grew the longer the days went by. Not once did we forget our desire to pay them back. The desire to make them regret their decision of attacking Duskfall.

Everything they were responsible for would be paid in full.

One way or another, their blood will be spilt.

It was just a matter of time.

"That's okay. Prepare our little 'toys'."

I opened the car door, sliding off the seat and planted my feet firmly into the ground. Some pups that were running around took notice of me and clumsily bowed in respect before running off. I smiled, watching over the pups squealing and laughing with one another. Little bodies bouncing in glee as they shrieked.

They lived such carefree lives.

Carefree lives I strived to protect.

The life I had wanted to give Lila.

One pup hadn't moved from his spot. He kept staring at me, or rather, my body. When he noticed I caught him looking, he gasped before speeding off to where his friends were. I frowned. Glancing down, I realized the pup was staring at my blood soaked dress. It made me wonder how he noticed when the red wasn't easily seen on black fabric.

He must've caught scent of it.

Noah repeated my motion, closing his door shut and was about to carry out my orders when he looked at me. Giving me a sympathetic smile which told me he felt my thoughts of Lila, he started walking off in the direction of the pack house.

"Oh, and Noah? Bring silver."

I remembered their faces perfectly. Fio and Val. Two rogues responsible for what happened at Duskfall. I remembered Fio's smug face. I remembered the fear I felt running away from them with Lila trembling in my arms. Fear for her. Fear that they'd mercilessly put an end to her life.

Fear that had turned out to be the most harshest reality.

My eyes darkened with bloodlust as Noah smirked at what was to come. The bond sent waves of anger to him.

"How much silver?"

He asked, knowing full well what I was going to say. But to his amusement, I answered without skipping a beat,

"Lots of it."

***

"Congrats Selene."

I raised my head from the papers I was looking at to see a smiling Isaac leaning against the doorframe. His sleeved arms crossing his chest enhanced the muscles tightly bound by his shirt. I shot him a questioning look as I pulled away from the desk. Since getting back to the pack house, I've done nothing but paperwork. I sat here chained to my desk looking through countless reports and admission requests.

At this rate, I'm going to need reading glasses very soon.

"Congrats?"

I ask him.

I'm sure Isaac had just finished training the youths of the pack. As Gamma, Isaac was responsible for leading our Warriors as well as training pack members. I'd come and overlook training occasionally, but he preferred to do it alone. He always preferred to work alone. It was hard enough for others to really get close to him outside training, as I've seen countless female wolves try, but training with him was difficult.

I guess being close to Bentley and all was the reason he took to me easily.

Five months was how much time it took for Noah to even hold a proper conversation with Isaac. I had to give it to him though, Noah did not back down and relentlessly tried to get on Isaac's good side. I guess his persistence was really the key factor of their friendship. Isaac was a tough one to crack, I'm sure everyone in the pack can vouch for that.

He pushed himself off the frame with a goofy grin on his face. He strode over to me, planting his hands on the table and leaned forward.

"Everyone's heard about Windril. Noah's been running his mouth telling everyone how the Hellhound was unleashed since he got here. Hand gestures, sound effects and all. Quite the story teller, that guy, but I doubt he exaggerated anything."

He motioned with his hands for emphasis. I groaned, rubbing my temples with my thumb and forefinger. While my wolf was prancing around in pride, I was dreading reality. Of course, Noah just had to. I can almost hear the pups running down pack territory singing a song about it.

"Remind me why I chose Noah as my Beta, again."

I grumbled, flipping through the stacks of unsigned papers. Report. Report. Admission. Report. Admission. Admission. Admission. My fingers ached to rip my hair out but I held myself back. I was 'this' close to throwing the stacks in the fire place but that would've been stupid.

Satisfying, yes.

But stupid.

Isaac pulled away, a smile stretching as he shrugged. His dark hair hung over his eyes with his lips slowly tugging into a smirk.

"Can't answer that when I'm still questioning why, myself."

I rolled my eyes, intertwining my fingers together and sank against my leather chair. Looking at Isaac with suspicion, I stared. I knew there had to be some reason Issac was here. It was completely out of character for him to walk into my office just for small talk. If he wasn't training, he was overseeing others train. There wasn't a single second in his life where he wasn't on pack training grounds.

"Okay. What's going on now?"

The smile slipped off his face at being caught. Issac's gaze dropped to the floor before he sheepishly chuckled.

"That obvious, huh?"

He may have a good poker face but it didn't work on me. He sighed, his body sagging forward as he looked behind him to where the closed door was. He glared.

"Alpha Windril is here to see you."

His words were more than just a simple shock. I felt my eyes widen. The boy whose dad I just murdered like an hour and a half ago?

"His son? Cade?"

I asked.

"Yes."

The man went out of his way to come here instead of going home? I stood up, pushing my chair back and walked around my mahogany table. I sat at the ledge of the table and pursed my lips.

"And?"

He said nothing. Isaac's adam's apple bobbed slowly as he swallowed down his nerves. His eyes immediately took refuge at the ground. His fists were clenched and his jaw was tightened. The papers would have to wait. It appears to me that my Gamma here, is worried about something.

"And... I think you should send him away."

Again, my eyes widened in shock.

"Now why would I do that?"

Isaac's head suddenly snapped up, his eyes wide with disbelief. Ripples of emotions flowed through my veins from our bond. Shaking his head, he looked at me like I was missing the big point here.

"You just killed his father? He may want revenge? There's a chance he could very well attack you, right here, right now! I don't trust any Windril blood and I most certainly won't trust him with you involved. I don't understand why you let him have the position in the first place! Windril's are no good!"

His deep voice rumbled. The anxiety and distrust was obvious in his tone. I could feel his wolf perk up in caution, walking around in a circle and glancing at the door every once in a while. While human side Isaac was wary of the boy, so was wolf Isaac. Together, they were just a lump of a paranoid warrior.

I exhaled, giving him a look. Of course I knew where he was coming from. He did have point.

Typically any person whose parent was killed by someone would feel angry. Maybe angry enough to want to take revenge by attacking the killer, but that doesn't apply to this situation. Not when his father has made his mother, the rightful Luna, one of his many 'playthings'. I may not be the most benevolent person there was, but I knew no one would be able to forgive a 'father' who would do such a thing.

Besides, I highly doubt the boy would try to kill me when he was in my territory. I refuse to believe he was stupid enough to do that. With no child or siblings, Cade Windril is the sole heir to the Alpha's seat. If he dies, the pack will go into complete chaos with who will have the right to claim it and the rest is history. The fact that there's no current Beta, Luna or Gamma, means there's no one else suitable for the title. No order in the pack. The rightful Luna wouldn't be able to claim the title because she was never given one in the first place, nor did she have any prior training to be able to fight off challengers. At least, that I know of.

It'll be fair game to anyone in the pack, but its inevitably going to fall.

With no Alpha blood in the seat, the 'Alpha' will crumble from pressure and will lead the pack to its demise. An Alpha with no Alpha blood or connection to an Alpha blood (as a mate) is the same thing as a bunny going against a pack of lions. He'll be eaten alive, metaphorically speaking.

I wasn't going to cower away just because there's a slim chance he would attack me. If he did in fact, actually have the balls to try attacking me on my territory, I wouldn't hesitate to end him the same way I did his father. Maybe almost as brutally just to emphasize how I'm not a very kind person if you test me. I'm giving the boy the benefit of the doubt and trusting my intuition that he is nothing like his father. I trust paper and statistics, but when dealing with people you never really know.

You gamble in the game of trust.

"Alpha Windril is not going to do harm. I genuinely believe he's a good man. Perhaps one of the best Alpha's in the future."

Isaac opened his mouth to protest but I cut him off,

"I won't turn him away because of chance, Isaac."

My voice dripped with conviction. Allowing small waves of my dominance to seep through, Isaac stiffened. After a brief minute, he nodded but I could see his strong disagreement etching on his face. He looked down, eyebrows tight in frustration and thinned his lips together. He was stubborn. Sulking at the decision I made. I sighed and raked my fingers through my hair.

"I'd like to see what he wants first. If it makes you feel any better, you are more than welcome to stay close. Granted, you aren't allowed to be in the same room out of respect for the Alpha, but if anything he does makes you feel any bit suspicious of him, you can intervene. I trust you, Isaac. Now I need you to trust in my judgment."

Finally, Isaac relented. He nodded in defeat before glaring down at the door.

"Okay, fine. But if the kid does anything I don't like, I'll beat his ass."

The seriousness in his tone was almost endearing. I laughed, pushing myself off the edge. I placed a hand over his shoulder and smiled,

"Yes, yes. My Gamma is quite a strong warrior."

At this, he brightened. With a cocky grin plastered on his face, he dismissively scoffed.

"I'm glad you understand. I believe you're missing 'handsome, young, strapping lad' but I'll let it go. You're one very lucky Alpha, Alpha."

With one last smile, Isaac headed toward the door to get Alpha Windril. I waited patiently, allowing myself to sit back down while putting away my all important documents starting to haunt me in my dreams. I know for a fact Noah will not be happy with the extra paper work being pushed aside. He would undoubtedly get a share from me, later today.

I heard a knock followed by Isaac's deep voice,

"Alpha Selene, Alpha Windril is here to see you."

I breathed in, making sure to erase any lingering expression on my face. Although I was confident in my judgement over Cade, I would never let my guard down. I didn't need to give him an opportunity to strike me just because I believed in the guy. Trust is a very fragile thing that could easily be manipulated. It's up to the person who believed, to have a back up plan when things turn out for the worse.

When they end up being wrong.

"Come in."

The door creaked open with Isaac leading him in. My eyes swept down his body. Now that he was closer, I could see the slight muscles he had built up, the strong presence he gave and most importantly, the dark, unwavering eyes he had. The eyes that refused to yield. It was definitely the aura he was giving out.

Strong, dignified, respectable.

Everything I didn't sense from Windril.

Standing up, I reached out to him to shake his hand as a sign of my respect. He quickly grasped it, giving my hand a firm squeeze before pulling away. If I was being honest, I felt a little awkward. I was staring at the son whose father I killed just moments before. Thankfully he didn't seem to have any motive of murdering me, so it eased my nerves just a little. Isaac gave me one last glance before making a swift turn for the door and closing it shut.

"Alpha Crestfield."

Cade's eyes held no malice. I couldn't feel the faintest thirst for blood on his end. If anything, he was completely relaxed in my presence if not feeling slightly out of place. Now that I thought about it, it was weird Cade got in without me knowing. No one was permitted to enter pack territory without my permission.

"Ms. Meredith Crestfield allowed me entrance."

Cade said suddenly.

"She, uh, seemed quite welcoming."

He answered as if sensing my question. I sighed, in annoyance. Something told me she most likely assumed he was a suitor, or better yet, my boyfriend. Meredith was probably thanking the Moon Goddess by now for my behalf.

"I see."

I breathed out with a pressed laugh,

"Well, I'd say I was expecting your visit but I'd be lying if I did. So what can I do for you, Alpha Windril?"

I asked. Cade rubbed the back of his neck stiffly. He shuffled around on his feet before raising his eyes to meet mine. He looked very wary. Not in the I-don't-trust-you way, but the I'm-about-to-say-something-you-might-not-like way.

"I would actually prefer it if you'd call me by my mother's last name, Woods. I'd rather not be associated to that sperm donor. You could also just call me Cade, it doesn't really make much of a difference to me. But please, anything but Windril."

I already knew I was going to like this guy.

"Well okay then, Alpha Woods. Is there anything you need?"

Cade frowned. Sighing, he slumped his shoulders back. His wolf was a large one. Large but somehow... but a bit lanky. He had all the qualities of an Alpha save for the proper training. He needed to fill out more

The only exceptional part of him right now, was the way he carried himself. It's the way he announced his dominance. Unexpected and uncontrolled. Sometimes he let it out at full force, other times he'd let it dwindle. In the conference room just hours before, I barely felt it until his father said he submitted to me. His anger was so vast his dominance poured out of him from every inch.

Everyone was too focused on the bickering to notice, but surely I did.

"Yes, but first, I wanted to thank you."

"Thank me? Oh no, the title is rightfully yours. It wouldn't have been right if I took it."

I quickly explain. I didn't really want to tell him that I also thought it was too much work. Managing two packs or merging two packs would be overkill with paperwork. Noah was praying to the Goddess for a swift, easy death when he realized I was technically Alpha for Evergreen until I passed the right to Cade. The mere fact gave him a breather.

"No, not that. Well, yes that but-"

He ran a hand down his face in frustration with himself.

"Thank you for killing him."

He mumbled.

"Windril was not exactly father of the year nor was he really mate of the year, but I'm sure everyone knows that. I've wanted to challenge him for the title for so long already but I couldn't. He had my mate.  Held her in one of our dungeons underground. He threatened to make her into one of his 'girls' and kill her if I tried to take it from him. He threatened the same with mom, except he said he'd allow his men to have fun with her. To take turns. He never cared. Not once. Not ever."

Cade's eyes were downcast. I could see that there was still a small part of him that wished his father had cared. Or maybe he was just wondering why he didn't. Why he was like that. Why he didn't care for his son. Why he was so greedy for power.

Windril was not a good man.

Anyone with eyes could see that but I underestimated just how bad he was. I knew he was a pig since the first word I heard come from his mouth, I just didn't think he could be that heartless toward his own offspring. I would've thought his paternal instincts kicked in, but I guess it was different for him.

He threatened his own son with his mate.

That went beyond being a shit father.

"So thank you. You really saved us. And I know this is going to be completely selfish on my part, but please, I beg you-"

Cade suddenly bows, body frigid and hands tight at his sides. His wolf was doing the same, ears flattened down and tail low between his legs. His two front legs bent over so that his back tilted down with his legs holding him up.

"Please help train us. Our pack has no experience in combat. Windril never allowed us to train because he feared someone will challenge him. We're completely vulnerable. The Alpha's in that conference room know we're inexperienced. Without a doubt they'll try to challenge me. I want to change the pack. I want fix that man's mistake. As much as I hate him, I still have his blood running through my veins. Please. Please help us."

Cade kept his head bowed, waiting for my response. What do I say in this situation? There were so many disadvantages that outshines the gains I could get from this. If there was any gains, at all. Training his pack meant giving up my resources. It meant sending my men over to his pack instead of keeping them here to protect us. Trusting him too quickly can backfire and lead me to lose some pack members. If what Isaac said was right about him being like Windril, he could very well be plotting something against me.

But did I have the guts to turn my back on him?

Could I possibly abandon someone in need of help when all I ever wanted was help in the past?

Abandoning him and his pack was like abandoning Duskfall and Lila.

I stared at him, catching similarities between him and I. The drive to protect something; someone. The similar drive of needing strength, but different circumstances bringing it up.

For me, vengeance.

For him, reconstruction.

I remained silent, still soaked in my thoughts. Cade must've assumed that was my answer because he swallowed harshly. The disappointment he tried to conceal slipped through his mask of indifference. His face looking solemn as he straightened his back. He tried to laugh it off but it sounded too forced.

"I understand if you don't want to do it. You've already done so much for us-"

"I'll think about it."

Cade's lips parted. Immediately, his face beamed when he realized what I said. He smiled, an ear splitting smile that stretched miles across his face. The wolf in him wagged its tail, eyes shining with hope and excitement. Sucking in a breath, he looked at the ground before meeting my gaze brightly.

"Thank you... Thank you."

Not long after, Cade left. I watched him get in his car and drive off my territory through the office window. The boy didn't even bring his own guards. Then again, did they even have properly trained guards back at his territory? I sighed, walking away from the window and sat down on my chair. I screwed eyes shut in exhaustion.

"Why'd you say you'd think about it, when you know you'll do it anyway?"

I kept my eyes shut but breathed out.

"Why are you planning on asking me to train them if you 'don't trust any Windril blood'?"

I opened one eye to look at Isaac. He stood there, leaning on his left foot with a slight grin on his face. He shrugged and pursed his lips.

"What can I say, I have a soft spot for tragic backstories."

I cocked a brow. I call bullshit.

"Really?"

I asked drawling out the 'y' incredulously. Isaac and I stared at each other for a few seconds before he gave in. Shoving his hands in his jean pockets, he kicked at the ground mumbling.

"Okay, fine. I know Alpha Oliver would've wanted me to. You know what he's like with these things. He hates leaving vulnerable people behind. People like Lila."

He paused, warily looking up at me before quickly darting away. I kept my face blank even when my heart slightly tightened at the name. The sore subject still difficult for me to talk, hear or even think about being the cause.

"He hates the idea of abandoning someone in need."

Isaac gave me a lopsided smile.

"Just like you do."

I just kept staring at him. I knew deep down inside, I would've agreed anyway. I just used the ideas of disadvantages to try to convince myself I wouldn't. At first, I wasn't sure who I'd send but seeing as Isaac was more than willing to do it, I believe I found my person. With a nod, I conceded to the idea. I pulled open the drawer and took out a single pack transfer sheet. Isaac's attention fell to the paper I slid across the desk toward him. Handing him a pen, I gave him a hard look.

If Cade wanted help with training, then I'd have to send the best I had.

"You leave tomorrow."

Isaac prepared his luggages that very same minute. He decided on only bringing two sets with the idea of getting more at their territory. That night, I had a hard time sleeping. Worry and anxiety crept up inside me but I blocked our bond so he wouldn't notice. I knew if he felt the tiniest bit of hesitance on my part, he would revoke his offer and sit his ass right here. I didn't need him changing his mind because of my needless worrying. So with only a few hours of sleep on my body, morning came quickly and it was time to part with him.

"If anything is wrong, and I mean anything, please call me back. Don't try to handle everything yourself. I may have promised to train them until I saw fit, but I'm your Gamma. I won't hesitate to turn tail and run my way back home if you do. Pride be damned. My loyalty lies with you, not with them. Our blood oath is evidence of that."

I gave Isaac a reassuring smile before grabbing hold of his neck and nuzzling our foreheads together. Doing this was an intimate thing between close companions. Whether it be lovers, friends, siblings, comrades it was a meaningful gesture. It showed complete trust, affection, and how valuable the relationship between the two wolves were. It was a good indicator of familiarity.

"You worry yourself more than I worry for you, Isaac. I'll be fine. Take care of those wolves. They'll need all the guidance they can get."

With one last nuzzle, I let Isaac pull away and watched as he got in the van. Cade was more than ecstatic to hear that I was sending my Gamma, of all people, to train them. Ideally, the training sessions would only last a few months; six at most. But that's only if he manages to teach them the basic understanding of combat.

I remained rooted to my spot, thinking of Bentley and how much prouder he would've been to see how far Isaac has grown. Of all his accomplishments, I was there to see it. His passing the Gamma training, his first Gamma challenge, taking the oath, taking the blood oath... everything. I could almost see Bentley's face melting into that warm smile that made his bluish green eyes sparkle even brighter. The same smile he gave Lila when he'd see her talking animatedly about anything and everything.

The kind of smile a father would give his child for simply breathing.

"Alpha Selene, we've just received a message from the Nightwake pack. Alpha Walker has requested an audience with you at his territory today."

My eyebrows raised at this. I couldn't help but let out a small laugh. He wanted to see me? I didn't think he'd quite literally take my words and set up an appointment. Then again, if it wasn't a formal invitation there'd be no way I was accepting it. Noah looked at me quietly with the sensation of unease releasing out from our bond. He knew my history with Landon and my family. Once we formed the blood oath, we formed somewhat of a soul connection. Everything I went through, he knew. Everything he went through, I knew. The same thing with Isaac.

I knew his history as he knew mine.

He felt like it wasn't a good idea. A million things could go wrong by attending this 'meeting'. Fights could break out, tempers could be lost, screaming, yelling, crying. I shuddered. I was certain if Isaac was here, he'd feel the same way. But sadly, I wouldn't be listening to their request had they asked me not to go. Denying the request was like running away. Landon would know I was purposely avoiding him if I decided to refuse the meeting. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of thinking he still had an effect on me. Granted, the mate bond was still there but it was mostly just a slight pinch. The anger and fury residing inside me overpowers that small spec of emotion.

That was one thing I didn't understand.

Wolves were instinctual. They were batshit crazy for their mate, yet mine understood and adapted to the situation far more easily than any wolf should. It's like she knew from the start something would happen, and only ever acted out when he was mated and marked. Other than that, her reaction to everything else was minimal compared to how other wolves would've handled it. Sure, she had been initially possessive over Landon, but she wasn't forcing me to act out in order to obtain him. Some wolves would lash out if their mate so much as looked at another a second too long.

Mine never really did.

Shaking my head, I forced myself to stop thinking about it. I should be glad I was blessed with an independent wolf who wasn't stuck on a man who didn't want us. That's another reason why agreeing to this meeting wasn't all that hard either. I didn't have to pretend like I didn't care about him and Hestia because honestly, I don't. I stopped caring the moment I laid there on the ground, doubling over in pain as Lila stared at me with those pretty little eyes slowly closing shut.

The only emotion that overwhelms me is rage over their betrayal.

The fact that they were willing to let me die.

The fact that they let so many others die.

There will always be that underlying tension that connects us but other than that they can do whatever they'd like with each other. As long a they leave me out of it.

I wouldn't dare act like a coward.

Besides, this'll be good publicity.

It's about time I start forming alliances with select packs. Now that my debut was out in the open, I was surely getting more eyes on me now. Just this morning I had a few requests for alliance formation form abroad. Some will try to kiss up to me while others will scheme.

I'll be prepared for both.

Obviously, Nightwake is not part of that bunch I was considering.

How could I ever consider people who don't try to aid alliances when they need help? How could I ever consider people who don't honor their word? I'll never forget what they did to me. To Duskfall. To Lila. But by my going there, it would look like I at the very least, considered it. People won't be able to say shit if I actually accept the invitation. Their decision of ignoring warnings and refusing to aid a documented ally was treachery and punishable by law. At the same time, why were the rogues giving Nightwake warnings? Why threaten them by destroying other packs? What was their goal? Their motive?

I had these infuriating questions swirl in my mind for years.

If I had been an officially inducted member in Duskfall, I could've brought my case to court. The fact I reached out for help and was denied could've been incriminating. As it was, at the time of the attack I was only a temporary transfer. I had no grounds to claim a breach in the treaty. I could plea my case telling them I heard rogues speaking about their treachery but what evidence did I have?

My word?

That wouldn't be enough. Their denial of my attempt to communicate with them won't do much either. They could just as easily claim that they didn't know why I was reaching out at the time and use the excuse that we were on bad terms and simply didn't want to speak with me.

Either way, there was no way around it.

To implicate them, I needed cold hard proof: admission from the rogues in question.

I've tried getting as much intel as I could beforehand, but I could only do so much at a distance. I didn't have any connection to Nightwake or the rogues.

No one would believe the word of one person, no matter the person being an Alpha. In fact, people would be much more suspicious because I'm an Alpha and the ex-mate of the current Alpha I'm blaming for the incident. There's too much at stake for me to go barging in and pointing fingers without evidence. I may be angry but I wasn't foolish.

In total, four people know of what I heard

Meredith, Noah, Isaac

and Chancellor Williams.

We laid low. Secretly trying to piece together clues while I strive further down in my path. That's why the two rogues are that much more important. That's why I need them locked up and away from the danger of escaping. They were the two rogues who indirectly told me about their connection to Nightwake.

I've had several guesses about what it could be. I've thought about more land, seeing as Nightwake and Duskfall were neighbors, but Alpha Walker had long before backed out of the dispute. I've even considered underlying hatred or revenge, but then why would the rogues think it was a good idea to use Duskfall if Nightwake hated them or sought after revenge? Could it be that the rogues are the ones with the bitterness? Then again, they would've attacked Duskfall without any warnings in the first place. Instead, they used Duskfall as leverage against Nightwake.

Could it be that Nightwake has something Xeneron wants?

Thinking more and more about this, Walker's invitation was only getting more appealing. I could use this to my advantage, scope out anything I could find and just maybe come home with answers. Possibly hear things while my visit there. Whatever the rogues want, Nightwake has. Once I find out what exactly that is, I'll gather the evidence I need and file for a case against Nightwake.

Pursing my lips together, I nodded to myself before turning on my heels and walking into the pack house. If I was going to visit a pack, i would of course have to dress for the occasion. Noah followed a few steps behind, waiting patiently for what I would say next.

"Get the van ready. We're leaving now."

"Yes, Alpha."

***

The van door slid open with my warriors piling out in a single line. They stood firm and unwavering, glaring down at anyone throwing looks our way. We were beginning to attract attention. A lot of it. I swung my legs over the car seat, letting my feet sink into Nightwake territory. It was still the same; vast land surrounded by smaller houses and a huge house meant for the Alpha right in the middle with a huge field in the far side of the territory. The simple, modern buildings identical to the ones I could salvage through my memories.

It hardly changed.

A few bystanders took the time to stop whatever they were doing to stare. Some actively trying to find out where the Alpha was or who we were. Our unfamiliar scents traveled far and wide seeing as a few people stuck their heads out the window to investigate. I could feel their suspicions projected onto us from their gazes. Wolves didn't like non-pack to be on their territory. They felt threatened if not extremely intimidated.

I was certain Landon kept our visit to himself rather than letting his pack members know.

They looked completely confused and a little hostile from our arrival.

Most of these people were the ones who grew up with me knowing only my name and my sister. People who never treated me bad but instead acted like I didn't exist. It was bad enough the place gave me unwanted memories but now it's trying to suck me back in the past? Breathing in the scent I was so familiar with but soon grew stranger to, a sense of nostalgia came over me. Snippets of seeing myself walk down the path from school all alone lingered in my mind. The garden I used to tend to, probably forgotten about and withered away.

Noah stood by my side, standing tall and looking sharp with a suit he only wore when visiting outside packs. He looked over the area, no doubt noting the layout. It was his first time setting foot on Nightwake.

"Excuse me, uhm, can we help you?"

My gaze drifted to a small, petite woman holding onto an infant of about six months old. She watched us curiously, bright tawny eyes squinting with intrigue. Noah immediately stepped forward, nodding at her before gesturing to me.

"My Alpha, Selene Crestfield of Greyhound Territory, was invited by Alpha Walker for a meeting. We were told to come here today, but I see that no one is really expecting us..."

There was slight irritation in Noah's voice. When an Alpha visits another pack, it's common courtesy for the Alpha of the territory to receive their guests personally. Often making a big deal of it by having a welcoming feast. It established respect on his counterpart and demonstrates good will toward the visitor.

Good will my ass.

The only good Landon can ever do is to stay the hell out of my way.

Just before the girl could respond, we noticed someone pushing through the crowd. I knew from the scent of him, who it was. I kept my head high and watched as Benicio managed to squeeze through the bodies of nosy spectators. He was breathing hard as he fought to catch his breath. Once his gaze settled on Noah and I, he straightened up. Clearing this throat, he looked me dead in the eyes.

"Sele- Alpha Crestfield, our apologies for the lack of hospitality. We weren't aware you'd arrive this early. Again, forgive us. Alpha Landon is now expecting you at his office."

I gave him a curt nod. Nothing more, nothing less. My wolf huffed out, tail swishing back and forth dismissively at the lack of welcome. Her sour mood was already beginning to affect mine. Following the Beta down the road, whispers passed through the crowd. Some had recognized my individual scent, realizing who I was with Benicio's initial slip up of familiarity.

Isn't that Luna Hestia's sister?

Didn't she die? Wasn't she at Duskfall?

How is she an Alpha? She doesn't have Alpha blood in her.

Look at her neck! Seems like she's a sole-Alpha. No mate...

Crestfield? You mean to tell me she changed her name? Traitor! She's just power hungry!

I threw a glare at the gutsy brunette standing by the sidelines. She immediately cowered away when she felt my gaze, submissively looking down with her body as stiff as a board. Her friends surrounding her stepped away, separating themselves from my locked gaze. A warning growl left my lips. The sound reverberating down the yard and caused other heads to look down with hers. Benicio froze, fighting the desire to submit when his head dipped an inch lower before hastily quickening his steps. His wolf recognized me as an Alpha and instinctively acted upon the pressure he felt.

When we reached the patio, I looked at my warriors and told them to stay put. I was only permitted to bring my Beta and Gamma, which was hard seeing as one was currently missing.

Noah would just have to do.

Walking inside, I looked around the house and found myself feeling nostalgic again. The last time I was here, I was rejected, beaten down mentally and emotionally and lastly, forcibly kicked out. My emotions stirred from deep within. Anger from the humiliation I faced racking up my spine. Anger I wouldn't let myself act upon.

"This way, please."

I glanced over to him as he led us up the stairs.

Can I please beat them up?

I almost snort but I hold it in. I turn back at Noah who seemed very unamused. His eyebrows knit together with a firm scowl on his face.

Unless you want both of us fighting over a hundred wolves at the same time, potentially killing half the population, I'll have to say no.

Noah rolled his eyes, grumbling under his breath about the disrespect Nightwake has shown and how we could easily handle them. While I know he's letting his irritation do the talking , I neither claim or disclaim his statement.

Ignoring him, we were led to the Alpha's office. The door that once held the golden nameplate reading out "Alpha Harrison" was now changed to "Alpha Landon". I frowned, thinking of the disappointment I felt over Harrison Walker's involvement in the treachery. Ignoring the warnings that were sent three months prior from the attack, it was his fault as much as it was Benicio's and Landon's.

My view on him was ruined in the split second I realized that.

"Alpha Landon, Alpha Crestfield and Beta Jones are here."

"Come in."

Benicio opened the door, gesturing for us to go in first. I strode inside, not sparing a lingering glance toward my mother- Sophie who sat on the couch. Her eyes widened, bulging out from her skull as she took me in. She had aged. She still looked the same but the gray starting to sprout from the roots of her hair and the wrinkles forming on her forehead, showed me that time had its effect on her.

"Please have a seat...."

Landon said, sounding a little dubious as I didn't look at him. I felt his gaze prickling my skin. Urging me to look at him, I brushed it off without a second thought. Sophie who still gaped at me like I was a ghost she was seeing, didn't say a word as I sat down at the conference table. The mahogany table I've seen in the past was still there, but at the far side of the center. Benicio stood behind them with Landon in the center.

Everyone who was involved in ruining my life was here.

My father, my mother, my sister who I still didn't look at and lastly, my mate.

Landon.

Noah was just sitting beside me with a bemused expression on his face. He enjoyed their feelings of discomfort quite a bit. Silence was guaranteed at this awful tension seeping into the room. None of them wanted to say anything. Their reluctance was as clear as day on their faces. If this was the whole point of this 'meeting' we were going to have a problem.

I sighed, crossing my legs and leaned back against the chair. I stared at Benicio, eyes unblinking as he shifted uncomfortably on his feet. My Alpha presence must've made his wolf antsy even though I was his daughter. Wolves would get easily intimidated by an Alpha's stare. It could be seen as a challenge or look of disapproval. None of which they would want pointed toward them.

Turning my gaze to Landon, who sat opposite of me, I raised a brow.

"I would assume this isn't the reason you sought an audience with me? This-"

I gestured around us,

"silence?"

He didn't answer. I'm not sure I really expected him to. Just as I thought we'd spend forty minutes just staring at each other, the Beta broke the silence.

"We... we just wanted to explain. To apologize."

He reasoned. I mentally scoffed. Oh Goddess. My face was completely void of emotion but inside, I was internally riled from the audacity they had. If anything, I looked completely done with their shit. The thought of them asking for forgiveness did cross my mind but most of me desperately wished they didn't. So they could save us the meaningless words of apologies and time when we both knew they don't mean it. I don't need empty words.

I don't need them.

"Selene, my daughter, please hear us out. I know we don't deserve it, but your sister is pregnant and-"

I held up my hand up to stop the man named Benicio Dixon from speaking. I had enough. Surely they didn't call me here just so they can dump all their personal problems onto me or dig up the past. If that was the case, they're quite foolish. I'm not interested in the slightest. Shifting my attention from my father to the woman he stood behind, my gaze narrowed on the small but visible bump under her sundress.

Hestia Anne Dixon.

My younger sister.

The Luna of my old pack and the woman my mate chose over me.

She was pregnant.

I turned to the male sitting beside her in the Alpha's seat. Guilt and regret crossing his striking features when he refused to meet me in the eye.

"If the reason you called me here is because of this nonsense"

I gestured between my sister and mate,

"Then it would appear I wasted my time. With all due respect, Beta Dixon, I am an Alpha. I have many and much more important things to do than discuss petty mate bonds. If It wasn't obvious enough, I'll make myself clear-"

I stood up, not caring for the gazes burning into my skin. Not even his gaze that pleaded with me to spare him a glance.

"Whether or not she has this pup has nothing to do with me. Luna Walker's mate has nothing to do with me. In fact, none of you have anything to do with me outside of pack business. If you're worried about my interference-- don't. I won't say nor do anything. To put it simply, I don't want him. I didn't want him for the past four years since he rejected me and you all left me to die. Rest assured that seeing him again won't change anything. Now if you'll excuse me, I have much more important things to attend to."

I held my head high, walking off with my Beta trailing behind me.

I saw Landon flinch with hurt from what I said. If it stung so much, he'd have to get used to it. I wasn't going to sugarcoat my words if they were just going to waste my time. Just as I reached the door, it abruptly pulled open and I came face to face with the most beautiful man I've ever seen in my life. Dark, crystal grey eyes bore into me and I found myself go still.

Alpha Raizel Locksworth.

The Bloodlust Alpha.

I've never seen Alpha Locksworth before; not even in photos but there was no mistaking it. His presence was telling enough.

All the blood circulating inside me getting impossibly hotter as he held my gaze. His mere presence was like a shockwave coursing through my veins. I felt my body go stiff. Every atom inside me was reacting to this man. He, who was said to have been crueler than rogues and demons alike, had me feeling lightheaded. He who had no regard for anything or anyone other than himself and his pack, had me feeling strange.

Alpha Locksworth stood intimidatingly tall. His lean, sturdy figure cladded in a white dress shirt with the first two buttons undone hugging his body in a way to showcase his well defined chest. Black dress pants that highlighted his long legs fit around him perfectly. Fit, proportionate torso with broad shoulders connecting to his thick arms at his sides. His sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, exposing his forearms riddled with taut muscles. I wondered for a brief moment if he had tattoos underneath that shirt.

Then there was his scent.

The thick, enticing scent of musk with a mix of rosewood entranced me. He was overflowing with dominance. Pure instinct of authority and domination hidden in the depths of his hooded eyes. The hooded eyes that stared right back at me.

The concept of time was lost.

My body, on its own accord, starts feeling flushed with heat at the thought of him half naked. The pit of my stomach is doing flips when I trail my eyes around his features. Soaking him in completely. His chiseled face gifted with a strong jawline, high cheekbones, clean shaven face, sharp prominent nose, lips plump and alluringly seductive with luscious raven like hair attempted to be slicked back only to have strands fall over his eyes.

I could almost feel my fingers twisting around his locks.

He looked flawless.

Like the Goddess above had specifically taken her time to hand-sculpt him to utter perfection.

Right to the very tips of his toes, he had unparalleled beauty. Something so beautiful could be so terrifying. His facade may have the beauty of a God, but I knew there was more to him than that. My wolf perked up, walking out from the corner of her spot and stared at him blankly. Then she tilts her head to the side and ever so slowly, her tail starts swishing back and forth in excitement. She remained quiet but usually attentive at the sudden appearance of Raizel Locksworth.

What the actual hell?

His consuming steely gaze kept me captive from straying away from him. He kept his eyes on me as mine was on him. I could distinctly feel Noah's prying eyes and increasing confusion between the two of us.

"Mate."

The voice broke me out of the trance completely. I whipped my head around to see Hestia standing up, her eyes trained on Alpha Locksworth with fierce hunger buried within her blue eyes. I couldn't stop the surprise on my face.

Alpha Locksworth was her mate?

(Now before some of you decide to call it quits cause she's his 'mate' I suggest you read a bit more LOOLOLOLOL)

A wave of unjust disappointment washed over me. The beginnings of a frown was unconsciously tugging at my lips. My wolf remained quiet, no reaction whatsoever but kept her attention on Locksworth even after what Hestia had just announced.

"Alpha Locksworth, we thank you  for coming here to talk about the situation with my daughter, Hestia. Alpha Crestfield, if you will, Alpha Walker still has yet to say his part."

Benicio sounded relieved. I turned my attention back to Locksworth who was still looking at me. I was starting to feel self conscious from his gaze. Realizing now, just how weird it must've been to be staring at each other for almost a minute, I snapped myself out of my Raizel induced fascination.

Clearing my throat, I looked back Benicio with narrowed eyes. Whatever the hell was going on, they could do without me. I already seemed to have expected too much of them. The most I could do now was wander around and see if I can catch anything here. That is, if I don't get caught. I kept my eyes locked on the Beta who seemed very shifty from Locksworth's presence.

I couldn't blame him.

The Alpha's presence behind me was so overwhelming I almost didn't notice the man who stood behind him. Presumably, his Beta. A tall guy, slightly shorter than Locksworth with sandy blonde hair and brown eyes stood calmly by his side. I couldn't detect any fleeting emotion from him but I could see the amusement in those eyes.

He and Noah would get along quite well.

I felt heat crawl up from my back. Heat from the smoldering gaze of the Alpha behind me chaining me to the ground I stood on. His attention initiated foreign sensations from puffing out inside me. My wolf purred, laying on her back with her paws outstretched. She was seriously confusing me.

"I have no business here. If it isn't pack related, I'm not interested."

I reply sharply, not bothering to hide the venom lacing my words. I turn to leave, shooting them one last glare and strode my way to the door.

"I'll have to second that. I didn't come here to entertain your daughter's delusion from three weeks ago, Dixon."

I freeze. The deep, raspy rumble from his chest lured out ripples of shudders from me. Locksworth directed his attention to Benicio. His eyes hardened, narrowing into slits as he released more of his dominance into the air. Most of the occupants in the room tensed.

My wolf barked, hungrily watching the ascending signs of a fight. She ruffled her fur out, eyes switching back and forth between the Alpha and our blood related father. I could feel her excitement trying to overrun my emotions into a high.

Benicio glared angrily at Locksworth. His wolf peeked out, eyes slowly inking red. The shaking fists at his side let everyone know of his arising temperament.

"Are you denying my daughter? Your mate?"

Alpha Locksworth rose a brow, amusement dancing in place with a hint of anger under those smoldering dark eyes. Though his expression was unchanging, the way his body stiffened said otherwise. He didn't like the tone Benicio was giving him but he was quick to restrain the growl I knew was bubbling in the pit of his chest. His muscles were tight, itching to reach out and put the Beta threatening him in place.

"Frankly, yes. I'll say this only once: she isn't my mate, but she is a liar."

His eyes drift to Hestia whose face is red. She looked embarrassed under his gaze, uncomfortably fidgeting in her stance. With her eyes glued the floor, she slowly took her seat as Landon threw her a nasty look. I could feel her wolf whine at the pressure being pointed at her.

"If you strongly believe that, then I'm sure you won't mind if we go to the Moon Goddess' Sacred Pool."

"Beta Benicio!"

Landon finally speaks, appalled at the challenge directed toward Locksworth. Benicio, ignoring Landon's interjection, continues to challenge him silently. I can see the start of a smirk on his face, but Alpha Locksworth was quick to dismiss it with his own. A slow, dark, cynical smirk knowing no bounds of mercy inched across his attractive face.

"Of course. But you must be prepared to pay the consequences in full once I prove you wrong, Beta."

His eyes darkened.

"I expect full reimbursement for all this trouble you and your daughter has been causing me. "

Benicio looked taken aback, eyes darting to Hestia who refused to meet his gaze. He was positive that Hestia was telling the truth, but then why would the Alpha be so willing to prove his point if what she said was true. With a solemn face, he nods. Benicio was betting everything he had on the mere promise of Hestia's words. A promise that was so obviously untrue but he chooses to be blind to.

I sigh.

I was just wasting my time here.

I continue to stride out the door with Noah on my tail. My hand reached out to grab hold of the knob once more when-

"Alpha Crestfield."

I flinch, reveling away from the door and focused my gaze on Locksworth who stared heatedly at me. His brooding dark gaze bore into me, piercing through every layer of my defenses. I felt vulnerable. My body lit up with caution as he addressed me.

"I'd like to ask you to accompany us."

My gaze swept through the crowd of confused faces before settling back to his awaiting one.

"For reassurance as a liable witness."

He explained. Yet somehow, a small tinge of doubt ruptured inside me. Something that told me he wanted me to come along for an entirely different reason. The Moon Goddess' Pool was a sacred shrine. The Pool indicated the mate ties between the two users. A drop of blood from both parties was required to ink into the water in order to classify the bond as real. If the water turned blue, then they were mates.

If the water turned red, they were not.

The Moon Goddess placed the Pool there to ensure wolves, they weren't misplacing their feelings of attraction. Of course, it was hard to mistake the pull of mates to mere infatuation but it was useful for those who had human mates.

"You wouldn't mind, would you?"

His voice was tight. Almost like he was hanging by the string of my answer. I looked over to Noah who held my gaze, his eyes darting between Locksworth and I, in evident confusion. My wolf tugged at the barriers, willing me to go. She was wagging her tail, her tongue sticking out as she looked after Locksworth in pure awe. This reaction from her was so strange. She never treated anyone like this, not even Landon. Pursing my lips together, I shook my head. My curiosity was getting the best of me.

"No, I suppose I could go."

And so we did.

The drive to to the Goddess' Pool was a short one. It was close to Nightwake territory in the neutral region just a few miles South. For a good twenty minutes, all I could think about was the intriguing exchange between Locksworth and I. There was no denying he was an attractive man, but would his physical features really have such a strong pull on me?

It didn't make any sense.

My wolf didn't make any sense.

"We're here, Alpha."

Staring out the tinted windows, I took in the large mountain with the mouth of the cave in view. Surrounded by trees that stretched miles from us, I felt a faint smile on my face. This was the first time I've ever been here. It was a lot simpler than I expected. Sliding the van door open, I stepped out.

"The entrance is that way."

Benicio said, looking directly at Locksworth. The wolf in him was thirsting for a fight. The denial of Hestia meant the denial of his bloodline. The ultimate disrespect for a wolf, especially for a Beta or any high ranking title. It's almost funny how it didn't matter when it happened to me.

I felt a surge of power come from Locksworth as he narrowed his gaze on Benicio. Sophie, who I just noticed was with us, stood close to her mate, urging him to calm his wolf. She too, felt the pressure from Locksworth. The pressure that said he wasn't afraid to fight him if he were to be provoked once more.

Locksworth looked to his Beta and shared a moment of quiet understanding. The Beta nodded, standing in his spot and turned to the two warriors they brought with them.

"Stay here, the Alpha demands privacy among all those involved."

Sophie, who held onto her mate's arm in a tight hold met my gaze. For a split second, something flashes in her eyes but I don't let it hold my interest. I looked to Noah and nodded in dismissal.

If Locksworth wanted his privacy, I would respect it by telling my warriors to stay put. Landon did the same, bringing no one but Hestia, Sophie and  Benicio.  All eight of us made our way into the shrine. Noah and I trailed behind, not really having any part in this but being spectators of the whole ordeal.

The tension surrounding the two groups was thick, understandably so.

The cave glowed with barely lit torches attached to the walls. The entrance was narrow and cold. I felt a chill run through me. A few minutes in, and we reached the Goddess' Pool. Beautiful, shinning crystals grew around it, some hanging from the cave ceiling and others growing from the walls.

The water was sparkling; clear and unearthly. It looked ethereal, more so with a sculpted marble figure of the Moon Goddess centered in the middle. Her hair was exquisitely long, a garland of flowers delicately carved above her head as a crown. Her thin arms were outstretched as though she was posed for an embrace. One hand held a posy of flowers, the other held a balance scale.

A small crescent moon laid on one of the weight pans. The sun on the other.

A perfect balance.

It was serene.

The only sound we could hear was the water dripping from the crystal above and dropping into the pool.

"Well, there's no need to prolong this. Hestia, go on."

My father said gruffly, motioning to the pool with his head. He looked annoyed, insistent on speeding the process up to prove Locksworth wrong. Pride was the most primal part of his being. An insult to his pride was as good as an insult to his existence. Hestia swallowed, looking at father nervously before staring after Locksworth. The longing and fear on her face matched my suspicions of her lie.

Locksworth, without even glancing her way, walked forward taking his place at the front of the pool and swiped out a metallic pocket knife from his back-pocket. Sliding the blade out, he wordlessly sliced his palm open and held it above the water.

He squeezed his fist, no indication of pain on his face as his blood dripped from his hand and mixed into the water. Ever so slightly, he turned to face Hestia and silently told her with his eyes to do the same. As I watched the exchange, his eyes shifted to meet mine. I felt instant heat the moment our gazes locked. Every fiber in my body felt the caress of his gaze. The heat trailed down my face, my collarbone, my chest, my waist, every dip and curve he had the chance to see, he took. Goosebumps rose from my skin. Attempting to stop myself from the slight shaking, I crossed my arms.

It felt intoxicating.

Like I was being held captive by his gaze.

For the sake of my sanity, I tore my gaze away and watched Hestia slowly make her way up. Taking hesitant steps forward, she kept turning back for reassurance. She looked beyond nervous. Her eyes darted to everyone when she finally looked at me. I stoned myself, face neutral and blank as she dropped her gaze to the floor.

Landon had walked up to her. He handed her his own pocketknife to which she took almost unwillingly. The reluctance was easy to spot.

Just as Locksworth did, she sliced her palm, flinching at the sting before letting drops of her blood mix into the pool.

Everyone watched in interest. At first, the blood just mixed in until it became clear. Then as quick as it had disappeared, the water started bubbling. From the corner of my eyes, I could see Hestia watching with a tight expression on her face. Her hand flew to her slightly pertruding stomach.

As we all waited impatiently for the result, I almost let out a small gasp when the water turned a bright red.

They weren't mates.

I knew, somehow, deep down they weren't mates but knowing that she lied about it was still a shock. Why would she claim to find her mate when she didn't and she already has Landon? My eyes flew to Hestia whose face was tinged red. She kept her eyes downcast to the floor as my father stood gaping at the Pool. Landon himself looked furious, his eyebrows scrunched together as he glared at his wife. He balled his fists, his wolf surfacing as his eyes menacingly switched to black.

"Hestia! How dare you lie?"

He bellowed, his fists shaking at his sides. Hestia winced, cowering away as she trembled from Landon's raised voice. I tried to find it in myself to feel bad but I couldn't. She brought this upon herself. Whatever reason she may have, declaring an Alpha as her mate when he wasn't was not only damaging to her reputation but to Locksworth's as well. If she had told anyone outside the pack that he was her mate, a punishment would surely be in order for deception and malice.

I simply looked away and focused my gaze on Benicio. He too was shellshocked. He just stared at the red water slowly dispersing back to its original state like it was a lie he couldn't believe. When he regained his composure, he immediately sought after Locksworth. The unmistakable embarrassment strained his expression. He swallowed, instantly going over to him.

"Alpha Locksworth, I- I am so terribly sorry. My daughter, she- I cannot-"

He stumbled on his words, still unable to accept that his daughter was lying. His wolf submitted, head low and snout touching the ground in the utmost belittling position but Locksworth didn't seem to care. Which, in all honesty, I found odd. I expected him to smugly respond or demand punishment but he didn't. He remained silent, staring at the pool with mild interest when suddenly...

his gaze fell back onto me.

"My apologies, Alpha Locksworth... I'm sincerely-"

"Alpha Crestfield."

Locksworth interrupted, completely disregarding my father. I looked at him with my arms still folded across my chest. Ignoring the slight butterflies I felt, I waited for him to continue. At this point everyone had stopped talking and watched us in confusion. Locksworth stared, drilling his penetrating gaze into my eyes and lifted his hand. Extending his palm toward me, his gaze softened by a fraction.

"The test. I'd like to try it with you."

***

a/n: MWUAAHAHHAHHAHAHAH

So tell me, who's your favorite characters right now?

Who's your least favorite?

Any ideas on what will happen?

I'd like to address the question I've been asked quite a lot recently:

Do you have an update schedule?

nah.

And another question I've been asked is:

how old are you?

18 peeps.

I'm an adult.

jk.

I'm literally a fetus but according to the law, I'm not.

AND ANOTHER QUESTION IVE BEEN ASKED LOLOL:

Will there be smut?

Ohohoho.

fuck yeah.

ALSOSOOSOSOSOSO OMGGGGG #53 IN WEREWOLF. YOU GUYS ARE SO FLIPPING AMAZING. THIS STORY IS LITERALLY GOING OFF THE CHARTS, I'M SO SHOOK. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH. I SERIOUSLY CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE THIS IS GETTING RECEIVED SO WELL.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

582K 13.6K 40
|HAS BEEN REWRITTEN| She was kind. He was heartless. She saw the good in everyone despite her past. He saw nothing but hatred for others because of...
171K 5K 34
Being the daughter of the moon goddess and an angel is stuff but being in danger all the time is stuffer, when my house is attacked both my parents a...
2.4M 68.5K 51
Amelia Davis is 20 and she's apart of the Moonlight pack. She has already shifted and she hasn't found her mate yet. This doesn't worry her because s...
1.5K 4 25
Alpha Xerox had always hated rogues. Something about them annoyed the shit out of him. After all he lost his family to rogues making him take the Alp...