Sip of Assistance

By Jonifranz

Holly Preston had lost her job, her best friend, her home, and the man she loved. Now, three months later, s... More

Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Epilogue

Chapter 17

11.6K 338 22
By Jonifranz

Dedicated because I appreciate you still reading and I'm giving you his take on the kiss with this chapter :)

Chapter 17

“Look, I see what you’re saying Holly, I really do. However, this is Quentin Tarantino we’re talking about. It’s a big opportunity for James to be exposed to a whole new genre and fan base,” Tony pressed, condescendingly. Sammie was by his side in a zebra print strapless mini dress and black stilettos, her platinum hair up in a clean bun and a smirk on her face as her husband attempted to put me in my place.

“I’m aware of that, but Satan’s Soldiers will be filming their new season soon. It’s a scheduling conflict,” I stated simply, not wanting to fight with him this soon into the party.

Almost immediately after I found him, Tony had leapt into a big speech about a part that Tarantino mentioned James auditioning for later in the week. He wasn’t even being discreet about it, considering there were tons of eligible actors around looking for such a part that would try to swoop in if they could -not that James should do it anyway- but that was beside the point.

“He just got them six Emmy’s, I think they can shuffle a few things around,” was his cocky reply. He was acting like such a prima donna you’d have thought he won all the awards himself.

I sighed heavily, “It’s not that simple, he has a contract. Also, they won those awards collectively, not just because of him; this is no time for him to be acting like a big shot.”

Clearly you don’t understand how important this is. I’ll make the appointment and let you know when it is, Holly,” he stated, dismissively.

At that point I was pissed. “Look Cordova, there are some things we need to get straight. I may not have been working for James that long, but I know what I’m doing. First off, if he botches a contract he’ll only be screwing himself over. Secondly, he did great at the Emmy’s, yes, and is a phenomenal actor with plenty of heavy titles under his belt. Therefore, if Tarantino -or any other asshole in Hollywood for that matter- wants him to do their movie, they should offer the part, not an audition. His auditioning days were over years ago, that’s a slap in the face.”

Tony’s eyes had turned into small slits, anger clear on his face while Sammie’s eyes had gone wide with shock. I was on the verge of yelling, but held back not wanting to make a scene. My voice became the hushed, yet angry whisper a mom uses on an unruly child in a public place to assert authority without gaining unwanted attention.

Lastly, you haven’t even told James about it. Don’t go making appointments without discussing it with him. He may not like the script or the part or the f**cking scheduling conflict!”

By then the look on Tony’s face was pure hatred. He tended to persuade people into things, but if that didn’t work he would push them, and if that didn’t yield the desired effect he worked hard on intimidation. No one talked to him like that, ever. I could tell it was gonna get heated, but just as he opened his mouth another voice interrupted from behind me.

“Tony! Great to see you!” I’m sure I paled slightly at the words. I refused to turn around in acknowledgment so he came to stand next to Tony, shaking his hand.

Tony’s entire demeanor changed immediately, business and image coming first. I couldn’t decide whether to be thankful or angry at the interruption.

“Paul, how are you?” Tony laid on with a big smile.

“I’m great, you?” I wouldn’t look at him, but from the corner of my eye I noticed he glanced at me quickly before looking back to Tony.

“Fantastic as always. You remember my wife, Sammie?” He gestured to his whore, who had already been sizing Paul up plenty.

“Of course, nice to see you again.” Paul looked at me directly, “Holly, how are you?” he said, softly, as if I would break. All I could think was what a jackass he was for thinking I was going to be crying over seeing him. Sure, I was still angry, but I’d been hurt much worse; it’d take more than his douche self to break me!

I put on a pleasant smile and faced him, “Living the dream actually, Paul, nice to see you again. How’s life?” It came out a smidge sarcastic whereas I meant it to be nonchalant and happy.

He looked guilty, “Fine, thanks. The guys and I came to support Jerry, Jerry Fox. He’s on that new show on ABC.”

“Right, they did pretty good this year,” Sammie interrupted with a flirty smile, obviously trying to get Paul's attention.

Glancing at Tony I saw he had a look like he was piecing something together, possibly noting the detached way Paul and I were interacting compared to the last time he'd sen us together.

“Paul, are you and Holly here together?” he asked, eyes not leaving my mine, a slow grin invading his face.

Before Paul could answer, we were once again interrupted, “No, Paul’s here with me.”

Ashley Welty sidled up next to Paul, wrapping her extremely thin arm around his and smiling a little too brightly at all of us, not the least bit uncomfortable. I surveyed the group; Paul still looked guilty, while Tony looked quite pleased with himself, and Sammie was rolling her eyes at Ashley’s presence.

I still maintained a faux cool, not letting my emotions get the better of me. None of them were worth it.

It was silent so I thought I'd take my out. “Well, I better go check on James and make the rounds. It was nice seeing everyone…” I turned towards Paul and Ashley as I walked away, “with their clothes on,” I finished before realizing that I was actually showing that they got to me.

Not even half an hour in and I had accomplished nothing but getting angry at four people that weren’t worth my time.

I didn’t really need to see James yet, though I wanted to badly, knowing he could cheer me up... and possibly punch Paul for me. I smiled at the thought, but decided against it.

Instead I went to the open bar and ordered a glass of champagne. Using it as a crutch, I glanced around the room, mentally noting the people I needed to speak with. After I finished, I ordered another, adjusted the thin straps on my sparlkly silver knee length dress, breathed slowly several times, and went back to work.

By one a.m. I’d spoken to directors, producers, writers, actors, and advertisers. James was going to be booked all week with interviews to discuss the show’s awards and the imminent filming for the new season. I also needed to discuss several movie offers that had been made for the future, including the Tarantino film, with him. That was a conversation I was not looking forward to.

When I finally spotted James, I noticed that Alessandra had her arms wrapped around his waist and he had one arm around her as they spoke to someone I couldn't really see in the mass of bodies. Alessandra kept looking up at him, laughing loudly at whatever he was saying and leaning into him. He looked down at her smiling as he continued talking. I didn’t like it, but I couldn’t decide why. I knew I wasn’t jealous, so there had to be a reason.

Looking closer I noticed her eyes had a red glaze to them and that her thin form was being semi supported by the arm James wrapped around her. James’ smile was not his usual; it was fake. Something was up. I walked towards them and injected myself into the conversation just as she laughed again.

“Hey, you enjoying the party?” I asked him and his… Alessandra.

As he opened his mouth to speak, she giggled, “We’re having blast!” I wondered where she picked up that particular American phrase and noted the smell of alcohol on her breathe; she was drunk. I looked to James and he gave me another fake smile. I knew he hated these things so I assumed that was why. He couldn’t be upset that the model he brought was buzzing. If anything he was happy she’d be more limber later, I thought, suddenly irritated by them.

“Well it’s certainly a great party. It’s been forever Holly Preston, how have you been? I mean you don’t write, don’t call. I’m feeling really unloved these days.”

I turned to look at the person in front of James and Alessandra and saw the familiar face of Marcus Franklin, Jon’s manager. He was a short, round man - which was probably why i hadn't seen him- with an easy smile and balding scalp. We hadn't talked since his knock interrupted the kiss that night in Jon’s hotel room. It only took a moment for me to wonder if he was the reason for James' strange demeanor. I grew worried about the subject of their conversation prior to my intrusion.

It was official, luck was not on my side and the world was against me.

I smiled and hugged him tightly. I had nothing against Marcus. Our working relationship could be strained at times, but he gave me more credit than I deserved for Jon’s turn around and success and treated me as an equal. That was rare in the business.

I deflected the question and changed the subject, “Well look at you, I hardly recognize you. Did you get work done? Botox? Hair plugs? Chin implant?” My voice was light and he knew I was teasing.

“Nope, just naturally perfect, as always,” he laughed.

“What have you been up to?” I asked, to keep the conversation on him.

“Working too hard. I picked up a couple more people. One’s an up and comer, a newbie to the biz, but he’s got it, you know? Plus with you gone, my work with Jon has doubled. Trudy’s great, don’t get me wrong, you trained her right, but she just isn’t you. She scares easy with the big players.”

“Do you know who Jon and Trudy are?” Alessandra whispered loudly to James.

He smiled a polite, but fake smile at her and didn’t answer.

“Ah, well, she’ll get the hang of it… So you know James and Alessandra?” I asked, looking at them, deflecting again.

“Everyone knows everyone; you know that,” Marcus laughed.

Alessandra shouted something that sounded like, ‘Oh, that’s so true!’ though I couldn't be sure with the accent and slur working against her. Then another giggle fit hit her. James just remained quiet, watching me intently.

“Actually we just met. I know Tony. He called me asking about you to see how you were as an assistant. I was shocked; thought you left cause you wanted out of the business. That’s what James said… anyway I bumped into him and he was talking to James and now here we are. It’s great to see you, though,” he get quieter, obviously hoping I would explain my disappearance. I hadn’t known what James told everyone. I almost felt bad leaving him to give others an explanation… almost.

Then there were worries of the conversation Tony had with James. I hoped he hadn't tried to sell him on the film.

“It’s great to see you too. And James there’s actually quite a few people I still need to talk to so I’ll see you in a bit. Business calls as always, but I hope we bump into each other again soon, Marcus,” I smiled and turned to leave.

I felt like avoidance was the answer, but Marcus grabbed my arm, stopping me.

“Wait, Holly, there’s someone here I’m sure you’d love to see!” I turned to face him; he looked and sounded genuine.

“Who’s that?” I asked, trying to leave as quickly as possible.

“Jon, of course. Trudy’s here too. It’s like a family reunion!” His excitement was lost on me.

I swallowed deeply, trying not to throw up or pass out. I knew the color had drained from my face because I felt cold- and not the good kind of cold like when Jon used to touch me. All these months and I hadn’t seen him. I’d talked to Trudy while I was in London, when she needed help in the beginning with how to do my old job as my replacement, but that was it. I never even considered ending up at the same event as him... which was utterly ridiculous.

Marcus was right; everyone knew everyone and there was no way to avoid someone if you were still in the business. I’d stayed away from tabloids as much as I could so I didn’t have to see Jon and Danielle together, but pretending like he didn’t exist didn’t take him out of the social circle I was involved in.

“Holly? Are you okay?” James questioned, his eyebrows furrowing in concern.

I tried to snap myself out of my worry and create a calm façade. “Of course,” I smiled. “It’s just great that Jon and Trudy are here! Unfortunately, I really have a lot of work to do, so we’ll have to have this little reunion later,” I laughed awkwardly, showing more discomfort than I intended.

On that note I walked away as hastily as was possible in my heels, giving up all intentions of working and setting my goals at self- preservation instead. I had to get out of there.

I pulled my phone from my bra and sent a text to the driver to come around back as I made my way there, avoiding anyone that might try to stop me. The paparazzi that showed at these events were out front and a lucky few were inside, but the back exit was entirely concealed for those that didn’t want press of them leaving for whatever reason.

The door was in sight and I sped up the pace, pushing it heavily and rushing into the cool air of an early October night. As the door closed behind me, I leaned against it breathing heavily from both the rush and my nerves.

When I opened my eyes, the limo hadn’t pulled in through the heavily guarded gate yet. Being a small female alone in difficult footwear, I decided to take in my surroundings. One thing those damn horror films taught me was to be on the lookout rather than an aloof target.

I stopped short when I noticed the last person I wanted to see was twenty feet away, leaning against the wall with a cigarette in his mouth, staring at me in utter shock.

If the rest of the evening hadn’t already convinced me, this would…

I should have feigned a horrible life threatening disease... hell, I should have contracted one... and stayed home in my pj’s.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.9K 2.7K 31
❝ Completed ❞ Michael Jackson's life was full of people trying to change him and trying to manipulate him. He takes his anger out on people who aren...
325K 9.8K 20
This about a woman who was lied to and cheated on by her husband who she loves with all her heart. They have twin daughters together. He knew how in...
50 0 16
The school year is in full swing. Midterms are right around the corner, and the group is hard at work trying to set themselves up for success. But wh...
10.6K 195 19
"Out of business am your boyfriend, inside business am your boss."