Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Somehow I’d wasted over an hour talking about business, scheduling, and upcoming events with Tony, my director, and several other actors from the show.  The whole time Tony was pounding down drinks until finally he walked off and didn’t come back.  Seeing my exit I excused myself and went in search of Holly in hopes of spending midnight with her. 

I could already picture kissing her when the ball dropped.  It was amazing how she’d come into my life and just months later she was an integral part of it. 

And the last twenty-four hours were insane.  When we were trying to avoid the paparazzi and we were alone in the dark pushed up against each other breathing hard… f**k, it made me hard just thinking about it.  She was so incredibly sexy in that moment -even more so than she already was every day- and I couldn’t resist.  I had to kiss her and once our lips met I knew that I hadn’t imagined how great our first kiss was.  I didn’t invent the heat that radiated from her when we touched or how soft her lips were on mine.  I couldn’t have created -let alone conceived- a kiss with as much passion as the kisses I shared with her.

After that I was done for.  Any preconceived notions I had about being with Holly and any doubts in regards to the way I felt about her disappeared.  She was it for me; all I wanted or needed.  Breakfast with her in the mornings, the holidays together, even having her there when I worked was amazing, but after that kiss, it wasn’t going to be enough.  Spending the day with her was fun and interesting, but I wanted her nights as well.  I didn’t want another Jonathon or Paul -or anyone else- to have her.  I wanted her for myself and I wanted to be hers.  All the models in the world couldn’t compare to her personality, her dark blue eyes and bright smile, the way she teases me…

I had to find her and tell her everything whether before or after our New Year’s Eve kiss.  I felt flustered in my search, not wanting to miss it.  I was by the bar scoping the room for any sign of her and that dark red dress when I noticed three doors right next to me. 

I opened the first and found no one.  When I opened the second Sammie was inside sitting on the couch crying.  My initial reaction was to wonder if she was okay, but I immediately decided that I couldn’t afford the distraction with only a few minutes left to find Holls.  I felt slightly guilty, but I silently promised I would come back and check on her after midnight.

Unfortunately, the volume of a party in full swing is loud and when I opened the door she looked up and saw me.  When we made eye contact she started sobbing even harder, almost wailing.  I knew she was a ladder climbing gold digger that had been cheating on my best friend, but my conscience wouldn’t let it go. 

I walked in, closing the door behind me to block out the music and voices, and sat on the couch next to her. 

“Are you alright?”  I asked the obvious question, not sure how to deal with the situation.

She cried harder at first, then took several shaky breaths and looked up at me.  Her blotchy red face was damp with salty tears and there was black from her makeup under her eyes.

“It’s just Tony.  He doesn’t take my talent seriously.  I had him introduce me to some really great directors and casting people, but every time he did he either just called me his wife or he made fun of my acting skills.  I looked like a fool.”  Her voice was low and downtrodden in a way I’d never heard from her before.  Everyone has feelings; I’d just never really seen hers. 

I patted her back awkwardly in a poor attempt to comfort her.  That room was the last place I wanted to be and I still needed to find Holly.  Just as I was trying to formulate an excuse she turned and wrapped her arms around my neck in a tight hug.  I could hear the muffled countdown coming from the party.