Ghungroo - The Siren Call of...

By cynnair

Layla has had a one-sided, secret 'love affair' with her brother's long-standing best friend, Riaan. It start... More

Intro - The Home-coming
Chapter 2 - Well, Hello There
Chapter 3 - The Girlfriend
Chapter 4 - The Problem with Luggage
Chapter 5 - Hands Off!
Chapter 6 - Popcorn and BFF's
Chapter 7 - Wanton Thoughts
Chapter 8 - Big Brother
Chapter 9 - Oh, Mr Deejay!
Chapter 10 -The Problem with Milkshake
Chapter 11 - In the name of Art
Chapter 12 - I am Me
Chapter 13 - Feeling Good
Chapter 14 - Dancing Up a Storm
Chapter 15 - A Silly Little Child
Chapter 16 - Take Me Home
Chapter 17 - Not A Silly Little Child
Chapter 18 - Taken By Her
Chapter 19 - Clear the Cobwebs
Chapter 20 - And Then I Dance
Chapter 21 - Tina To The Rescue
Chapter 22 - Metamorphosis
Chapter 23 - E is for Engagement Party
Chapter 24 - What just Happened?
Chapter 25 - This Thing Between Us
Chapter 26 - Let's Dance
Chapter 27 - The Shoebox
Chapter 28 - E is for Exhibition Night
Chapter 29 - I Want Her
Chapter 30 - Dinner and Dimples
Chapter 31 - Stay Away!
Chapter 32 -Secrets have a Way of Unravelling
Chapter 33 - I Want Him
Chapter 34 - Yes, Please!
Chapter 35 - This will be Good
Chapter 36 - Wanting Her...Again
Chapter 37 - The Morning After
Chapter 38 - Buttery Eggs and Scrambled Thoughts
Chapter 39 - Some Truths
Chapter 40 - Road-Tripping
Chapter 41 - Pitt Stop
Chapter 42 - Falling for Her
Chapter 43 - Love Is More Than A Four Letter Word
Chapter 44 - Wanting Him -Again!
Chapter 45 - Nothing in Half-Measures
Chapter 46 - Men in Suits
Chapter 47 - A Table Has Many Uses
Chapter 48 - I am Changed
Chapter 49 - Heart-to-Heart
Chapter 50 - Can't Stay Away
Chapter 51 - Words is all it Takes
Chapter 53 - Unpleasant Surprises
Chapter 54 - At Crossroads
Bonus Chapter 55 - Further Away
Announcement
Not a Chapter - Book Cover Credit

Chapter 52 - Another Heart-to-Heart

463 21 3
By cynnair

Chapter 52

On Tuesday, I tidy up my studio space and meet with my supervisor all in the same day. Half my chores are sorted already.

My supervisor for next year is Prof. Khumalo. He is pleasant enough and is pleased with my final project and execution of it at the student exhibition. He's certain I'm going to get a great result and positive feedback. I will only get my results in February so I'm not going to start stressing about it from now.

I will only need to start handing in assignments and papers by June next year, which means self-management for the first half of the year is crucial. But I'm quite disciplined, so I'm not too worried about that.

By mid-afternoon I make it to Kumari Devi's studio and help with two of her classes. It's the beginner classes for the five to seven year olds and I find them extremely adorable to teach.

By six that evening, I climb up the stairs to my flat, throughly exhausted and ready for a quiet evening in.

Riaan called before boarding his flight and I will not hear from him in a while now. He has a tight schedule and I really don't want to intrude on the issue between him and Stephanie. That in itself will be stressful and I don't want to complicate things by prying. He can fill me in once he's back. If he wants too

I wonder how Stephanie is going to react?

I don't know her well enough to anticipate her reaction. I just hope she's decent about it. She could cause a lot of problems for future business with Riaan's dad and her father.

I let myself in to find Rahul sitting on the couch.

"Hey, La," he says a bit too brightly.

"Hi, Rahul."

Damn! I'm really not in the mood to speak to Rahul now.

But I have no choice. I can't really tell him to leave, can I? Guess now's a good time as any...

"You okay to talk?"

"Sure. Can I cook while we chat? I'm starving and there's nothing in the fridge."

"Of course," he smiles.

"Where's Tina?" I ask.

It sounds so weird asking him this. She was my friend first.

"She went out with some friends. She thought it best to be absent while we talk.

I put down my bag and go straight into the kitchen. I open the fridge and take out some veggies and a tray of chicken breasts for a stirfry.

I'm silent. I put on my serious face. Let him stew a bit. Payback for all the times he's teased me while growing up.

"So, how's everything?"

Seriously? Is this how he's going to go about it?

"Fine."

He sees that I'm not going to make this easy for him, so decides to get to the point.

He comes to stand near the counter where I'm busy slicing veggies.

"Layla...I...I'm sorry about what happened on Friday. You know...between me and Tina."

I look at him, my face giving away nothing. It takes everything in me not to laugh.

The look on his face is priceless. It's not often that I get to see Rahul hot under the collar from embarrassment. He's too straight, a too by-the-book kind of guy to get into compromising situations.

"...in her room. Remember? I was...We were..."

It's only then that I start laughing. I could have pulled this little act for longer but I feel bad for him. Besides, it's too funny and I drop my knife and grab a kitchen cloth and laugh uncontrollably into it.

"When you were what, Rahul? Putting the rabbit down the hole? Honking your horn? Doing the mattress mambo? Riding the..."

"Geez, Layla. Please, stop! You're killing me here." Rahul's face has turned bright red, like the bell pepper that lies slaughtered on my chopping board. But at least he's grinning. The awkward tension between us vanishes.

He starts to laugh too. And we go on like this for at least a minute.

I'm relieved the tension has vanished. It was unpleasant.

"What? And let you off the hook so easily? It's payback for all the mean things you did to me when we were growing up."

"That's cold, Layla. You had me worried. What you think of me means more than you would ever know."

"Well, I'm glad. I'm also really happy that you and Tina have hooked up. Wish I could get that image of the two of you...getting busy, out of my head, though. I scrubbed down three times that night you know. But nothing can wash that image from my head."

...I did much more than scrub down that night. I scrubbed down then got dirty...with Riaan. Your best friend...

Layla stop now! Don't let your thoughts wander... Stay focused.

He grins sheepishly at me but says nothing.

I turn on the stove and heat up a wok.

"Grab some plates and set it out. Dinner will be ready in five minute.

Rahul does as I say and I stirfry the chicken and veggies with some chilli oil and soy sauce. I add a packet of egg noodles and supper is served.

We eat in silence for a bit.

"Don't ever run off like that again, La. It scared me. Tina was worried too. Thank God Riaan found you and took care of you that night."

...If only you know how well he took care of me, you wouldn't be so grateful.

"He had to rush off to London for some reason. Do you have any idea why?"

This would be the ideal opportunity to come clean and tell him of the situation between Riaan and myself. But Riaan made me promise not to say anything. He wants to be the one who tells Rahul.

"Nope. No idea."

I hope my face looks truthful.

"Did you see the new warehouse? What do you think? Did Riaan walk you through it?"

...He did much more than just walk me through it...

"It's all very lovely. Looks like you both have done your homework. I had no idea what a big operation it is."

"Yes, Riaan's has a good eye for business. Did he tell you about the artworks we need for the new offices. I think his idea of a car as repayment is a brilliant idea. It's about time you didn't have to worry about catching buses and taxis."

"I'm okay with catching buses and taxis. I'm prepared to do the paintings free of charge. I have plenty of canvas stretched and waiting to be used. Really..."

"Layla, Riaan put forward a good point. We can register the car as a company expense. We will save in the long run. Just accept this as payment and stop making a big deal about it."

"Okay, okay."

There's no winning with these two men in my life. First Rahul and his over bearing brotherly duties, and now Riaan to contend with.

We chat for a while longer. I tell him that Tina is dear to me and I don't want him breaking her heart. When he admits that he loves her, that makes up my mind that I am one hundred percent happy for them.

By 9.30, Rahul leaves. I go shower, change and get into bed. My phone beeps and I hope it's a message from Riaan.

No such luck. It's David.

Hi stranger. I've called you twice already. No reply. I hope it's that you're just busy and nothing more. Message or call me sometime.

I'd forgotten all about David. I feel terrible. How do I reply to this message. So much has happened since my date with him.

Hey David. I'm sorry. It's just been really busy the last few days. Sorry if my silence had you worried.

I have no idea what else to type. I really don't want to lead him on and think there's something more between us after just one date, and one kiss.

But, I also like David. I loved spending time with him the last time. He's funny and intelligent. Would Riaan be upset if I met with him for coffee? Just as friends, of course. Probably. Best not to stir that pot any more than I need to right now.

My relationship is still new with Riaan. It's best to tread carefully. But I'm really not the kind of person who will let go of friends just because my boyfriend doesn't like it.

Boyfriend. Is that what Riaan is to me now? Sounds... odd. But also, wonderful.

My phone beeps again.

Let me know when you are free sometime. We can meet up for coffee (or milkshake :)

I reply on a light note again, making no commitments. I don't find the milkshake bit funny anymore. I have too much to think about.

I feel bad but it's for the best.

Sure, as soon as I'm free I will call and arrange. Take care.

Geez, that sounded cold. But it was necessary.

Riaan does not call or message. He hasn't contacted me since leaving for London. He's probably busy.

It's amazing how I miss someone who I've only really just got to know intimately, and have only spent about 48 solid hours with over one weekend!

I miss Riaan and time seems to be moving way too slowly.

I silently will Friday to come quickly. I need to feel his arms around me once more. His lips teasing mine, his words caressing me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

632K 10.8K 28
What happens when a good girl becomes determined to make her brothers best friend fall in love with her? Drama, sexual tension and jealousy of course...
73 0 6
Layla wanted nothing more than to please her mother and make her proud. But life doesn't always go the way we want. Sometimes it doesn't just go the...
276 7 26
Book I of 'college romance' series.. This story is of Virat and KK (Khushi). Couple I of KK Group. A ruthless son of khurrana industries owner run f...
3.6M 108K 78
This is a completed and a published Novel: It can be purchased on Amazon in the form of paperback and/or an eBook. The link for purchase is availabl...