Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 41 King Darius

616 47 6
By the_hooded_girl

Elora hesitated in the doorway before approaching her husband. Though they had gotten used to each other these past few days, she still didn't know him that well. Darius was unpredictable and in this kind of situation, she didn't know how he would react. He had lost his father. No doubt he would be upset, but she wasn't sure how close the two had been. And it wasn't just a father he had lost but also a king.

And that role now fell on him.

Darius was staring out of the window in deep thought. He barely noticed his wife's presence. It was true his father had been ill for a very long time. Still, his death had come so sudden.

Yesterday, he'd still been prince regent. Now he was king. Was he even ready for that task?

He looked up when he caught movement in the corner of his eye. Torcan had stood up and made a deep bow. "My queen."

Darius turned around. Elora had stopped a few feet away in a deep curtsy. Her eyes were lowered to the ground. She seemed to be waiting for something.

Darius blinked and cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Empty words. She knew that, but she didn't know what else to say.

"Thank you," Darius answered to her surprise. He didn't quite seem to know the proper response either.

It gave her courage and she walked up closer to him. "What will happen now?"

The king had been lied to rest with his ancestors. A period of mourning had been declared across the land. After that, Darius would be officially crowned king. The tribal leaders and ruling lords of the provinces would come to Tirzé to swear loyalty to their new king.

"Now I am king," Darius answered simply.

Elora nodded. "I notified my father. I'm sure he will come to the crowning ceremony. Or he'll send Byron and Eloni. Will your sister come?" She bit her lip, unsure if the question had been appropriate. The last thing she wanted was to anger him.

Darius blinked. His sister? Did she even know? Had he even informed her? He couldn't quite remember. The past few days were a blur, one string of arrangements to be made, documents to be signed, condolences to accept.

Beside him, Torcan made a slight bow. "I have sent a messenger," he offered quietly, "she would not have been able to make it to the funeral, but I am sure she and prince Cyrus will attend the coronation."

Darius gave a nod in his direction. "Your father will come too," he commented, "perhaps your brother will be with him."

The sudden realization made Torcan nervous for a moment. It had been so long since he'd seen his family. Mikos would be almost fifteen by now. Had his father told him about his older brother? Did his father sill consider him his son? "Perhaps," he acknowledged Darius' words. He nodded to himself. Yes, they would both come. And even though he couldn't influence the outcome, it would still be good to see them again.

...

Ariane sat quietly in the corner of her room. She had been crying for days and now all her tears had dried. When the messenger had arrived, her father had already been buried. She knew she would never have been able to make it in time, but she regretted not having had the chance to say goodbye. She had never seen much of him during her life, and now she never would again. And her father would never see his grandchild. Ariane's hand moved to her belly. It had grown so round. Travelling to her brother's coronation would be a challenge.

It would be strange to see Tirèze again. She wondered if it had changed much.

A knock on the door announced a visitor and the servant girl Chloe hurried to answer. "My lady," she said, "the prince asks if you are ready."

Ariane looked up, but it wasn't Cyrus in the doorway. Only another servant. The boy bowed to her. "His Highness Prince Cyrus asks if you are ready to depart. The carriage is waiting."

Ariane took a few deep breath and combed her fingers through her hair to look more presentable. "Of course," she said while smoothing out her dress, "I will join him in a moment."

The boy bowed again and disappeared to relay her message. Ariane quickly moved to splash some water in her face. She must look a mess!

"Your luggage has already been sent down, my lady," Chloe provided.

Ariane gave a nod and left the room without a word.

Cyrus was already waiting for her in the courtyard. Over a dozen soldiers would accompany them to Tirèze. They bowed as she passed by but she paid them no attention.

Also waiting was Vara. She would not travel with them, since she was still unwed, but she had come to greet them goodbye. Iason stood patiently at her side. The young man still seemed to feel out of place in the company of nobility, though he appeared at ease with Vara.

It must be strange, Ariane mused, to grow from a soldier into almost a prince. It was different for Vara who had come here when she was still a child. Ariane shook her head. In Tirèze, this kind of thing would not have been possible.

"You're here."

His voice made her look up. Cyrus was watching her with an unreadable expression.

"I am sorry to have kept you waiting," she said quietly.

"It's understandable." It was Vara who had spoken. She offered Ariane a weak smile. "In your condition."

Ariane bit her lip, unsure of how to answer.

"There are extra pillows in the carriage," Cyrus said awkwardly, "and we will spend the night in inns. We'll have plenty of time to arrive before the coronation."

Ariane nodded gratefully. She wasn't looking forward to riding over bumpy roads all day.

"Have a safe journey," Vara said, "and give my warm greeting to Torcan. I still have hope we will met again someday."

"I'm sure he will be happy to hear of your engagement," Ariane answered.

"Thank you," Vara said.

"Stay out of trouble," Cyrus told her. He glanced at Iason with a hint of annoyance in his eyes.

"You too," Vara replied mischievously.

Cyrus stepped forward and pulled her in an embrace. "I'll miss you." Over her shoulder, he glared at Iason.

Vara answered his embrace awkwardly. "You'll only be gone for a few days."

He didn't reply, but released her and aided Ariane into the carriage. With one last glare at iason he stepped inside too.

As the carriage pulled away, Iason looked at Vara. "Are you alright?" He hadn't missed the subtle claim Cyrus had placed on her when he said goodbye. It annoyed him, but he was more concerned with how it would make her feel.

Vara let out a sigh. "It would have been nice if we could have gone too. I might not like Darius overly much, but it would be nice to see the sands of Tirèze for myself. Iolaus has told me all about it. And I would have liked to see Torcan again."

"Who is this Torcan?" Iason asked curiously.

Vara smiled. "He is Darius' manservant, kind of like Iolaus is for Cyrus. He stayed behind with Ariane after the engagement was announced, to guard her. And after the wedding he returned to Tirèze. We've kept in touch."

Iason studied her a moment. "You like him," he stated. He wasn't sure if what he felt right now was jealousy.

"I do," Vara confirmed, "I'm sure you would like him too. Perhaps we can visit after we are married."

Those words made his breath stock a moment. He looked into her smiling eyes. "And... when is this going to take place?" he managed.

"The year is almost over," Vara answered, "can you wait until then?"

"I suppose," Iason answered. A teasing smile appeared on his lips. "I'm used to you testing my patience. Perhaps I'll make you wait a little longer."

Vara gasped and slapped his chest. "Who turned you into such a horrible person?"

"You did," he smirked, "I was fairly decent before meeting you, my lady."

Vara pouted. "Well, I'm fairly sure I told you to call me by name."

Iason laughed. "You might have to remind me of that every now and then."

"Oh, I will," Vara promised. She smiled warmly. "I'll remind you of it for the rest of your life."

...

Not even a glance in his direction.

Torcan stood silently at Darius' left shoulder and watched as his father and brother kneeled to pay respect and swear their loyalty.

"Lord Izem," Darius spoke and nodded for him to rise, "be welcome at Tirzé."

"We are honored, Your Majesty," lord Izem da Salve bowed deeply. He placed his hand on his son's shoulder. "May I present my son Mikos, heir to the house Salvire."

Torcan flinched only slightly. He had known ever since he had been sent to court that his younger brother would inherit, but hearing it spoken out loud still stung.

Darius nodded his head at the teen. "We meet at last, cousin, be welcome at Tirzé. You and your father must join me tonight for a private meal."

Mikos made a clumsy bow. When he straightened again, his eyes briefly flitted toward Torcan before settling on Darius again. "You honor us, my king."

Darius gave a curt nod and shifted his attention to the next lord.

Lord Izem and his son moved aside and Torcan let his breath escape.

It was two days before the coronation and many lords had already arrived with offerings and requests. It was one long string of formalities and both Darius and Torcan were already tired of it.

Torcan forced himself to not watch his father and brother leave. He had a duty to perform. With Darius not yet officially crowned king, there a was danger of assassination attempts, and without an heir, the throne would be left vacant. There could be no distractions.

"Torcan."

Torcan looked up at the sound of Darius' voice. Had he dozed off? "My king?" The line of lords had come to an end.

"You will join us for the meal tonight."

Torcan blinked surprised. He had never been invited to participate in formal activities other than in the role of Darius' bodyguard.

Darius didn't look at him as he answered. He was still king, and Torcan his servant. "Your father and brother will be there. You haven't seen them in a while."

It was a rare kindness on Darius' behalf and Torcan swallowed difficulty. "Thank you... Darius," he said quietly.

Darius nodded, but then frowned. "I am your king now."

Torcan stiffened and bowed. "Of course, my king. Forgiveness."

Darius nodded again, though reluctant. "Be sure to remember, next time you address me."

They waited for the throne room to empty and then left too. Torcan quietly walked after Darius. His new position as king had caused an even bigger rift between them. Sometimes Torcan wished things could be less complicated. In that regard he preferred Zeir, where there was still a difference in social standings, but some people still threated their servants as friends.

It had been different when they were still younger, not so many eyes watching them, but as Darius had taken over more and more duties from his father, the gap between them had become more evident.

"No letter yet?"

Darius' voice broke through his thoughts. Again, he had been distracted. Some bodyguard he made! "No," he answered, "but perhaps Ari will carry it once she arrives." There had been a regular correspondence between him and Vara. Because of the frequent visits of merchants and blossoming trade between the two nations, messages could be exchanged swiftly and they had made good use of it. Darius still wasn't fond of the idea of their letter exchange, but he allowed it as long as he was informed about the letters' content.

Darius gave a curt nod. When they reached the door to his chambers, Darius turned to Torcan. "Go and get cleaned up for tonight's meal. Even though your brother was named heir, you should still honor your house."

Torcan hesitated. Leaving Darius alone and unprotected might not be the wisest thing to do.

Darius rolled his eyes. "I am not a child, Torcan. I can watch myself for a few hours. I do know my way around weapons."

"Of course," Torcan nodded. Then he quickly corrected himself and made a bow instead. "My king."

Darius nodded stiffly and waved him away.

The two parted ways.

...

She had organized a ride today and had invited Riccardo and Priskilla to join her and Iason. She had pleaded with the king to let her go and in the end he had conceded if she promised to bring a chaperone and a dozen soldiers. The decree was still in place. Ariane had not yet given birth yet and with her and Cyrus far away, Vara's freedom was restricted.

She couldn't wait for the child to be born.

Since she wasn't allowed to wander too far, Vara had opted to travel to Dalós. She hadn't seen Euniece and Ethan in a while.

Her friend embraced her tightly and with a wide smile. "Vara! Come inside! There is something I must show you!"

Vara laughed at her enthusiasm. "Euniece, I've brought guests. Meet lord Riccardo Prias and his wife, Priskilla Tempa. I think you remember Iason?"

Euniece looked to the side and blushed. Quickly she made a clumsy curtsy. "Beg your pardon, my lord, my lady. I did not notice you."

Riccardo chuckled and winked at her. "It's quite alright. It is obviously something important."

"It is," Euniece agreed. She looked back at Vara and took her wrist. "Come." She pulled Vara inside the house.

Vara barely managed an apology to her companions before she was pulled inside. There she was met with a wonderful surprise.

Antonia, Euniece's mother, was sitting at the table, eating a bowl of soup by herself. Her hand moved slowly and a little stiff, but she was moving on her own.

Vara slapped a hand over her mouth.

"She's getting better," Eunice said softly. Tears of joy shimmered in her eyes.

Vara moved forward and kneeled down next to Antonia's chair. "Aunt Antonia," she said softly.

The old woman moved her eyes towards Vara and managed a smile.

"She can't speak, Euniece said, "but she can move her hand and eat on her own. And she recognizes us. I am so happy!"

"So am I," Vara said. Tears appeared in her own eyes and she kissed the woman's cheek.

Antonia studied her carefully and placed her hand against Vara's cheek. Her expression was filled with concern and there was a question in her eyes.

"I want you to meet someone," Vara smiled in understanding. Last time she was here, she was still trapped in an unwelcome union. She took Antonia's hand and kissed it. "I will be right back." She hurried outside and returned a moment later with an embarrassed looking Iason. "Aunt Antonia, this is Iason Tessarae. He was my guard before, but now we are engaged to get married."

Iason bowed. "Ma'am."

A smile tugged at Antonia's lips and tears appeared in her eyes.

Euniece's reaction was less subtle. "Vara! Shame on you! You did not even mention this to your best friend!"

Vara gave her a flat look. "Well, I was going to, but then my best friend dragged me into the house and didn't allow me to speak."

Euniece huffed and crossed her arms. "You still should have spoken."

There was a chuckle at Vara's ear and Vara yelped. She turned around and found Ethan smirking at her. "Congratulations Vee."

Vara slapped his chest. "Why do you always do that!" she accused him, "stop startling me!" But she didn't protest when he pulled her into a tight embrace. She locked her own arms around him.

"It is good to see you happy again, Vee," Ethan said seriously, "we worried for you." He released her and turned to Iason with a smirk. "I knew you'd win her over."

It was Vara's turn to huff. She crossed her arms and turned her head away from them.

"Well, this sure is a lively home." There was amusement in Riccardo's voice. He and Priskilla stood in the doorway and studied the group fondly.

"Euniece!" Ethan scolded embarrassed, "why didn't you tell me we had guests?"

Vara gasped and turned to look at him. "Then what am I?"

"I would have," Eunice stated innocently, "but you didn't give me the chance."

Ethan looked at Vara. "You're no guest. You're like a pesky cousin that keeps popping up randomly." He smirked at her.

"Oh! You horrible boy!" Vara said. She jumped at him, but he caught her wrists and laughed good-naturedly. "I am a man thank you very much. Now be a good girl and introduce your friends."

Vara huffed again, but turned to Riccardo and Priskilla. "Euniece, Ethan, aunt Antonia, meet lord Riccardo Prias and his wife, lady Priskilla of the house Tempa. Lord Riccardo, lady Priskilla, meet my friends since childhood, Euniece and Ethan and Euniece's mother Antonia."

Ethan bowed. "Well met, my lord, my lady. Be welcome in our humble home."

Riccardo inclined his head and smiled. "It is an honor to meet friends of lady Vara."

"We were riding to the lake," Vara said, "so I decided to come and greet you since it has been so long. Will you join us?" Perhaps now that Antonia was doing better, Euniece would get out of the house.

Ethan glanced at Riccardo and Priskilla uncertain. Join nobility? He was sure they wouldn't appreciate it, but he was surprised when Priskilla spoke.

"Please join us. Friends of lady Vara are friends of ours."

Ethan looked at his wife. "I will ask my mother to keep aunt Antonia company."

Euniece hesitated a moment, but then nodded. "Very well. We will join you."

...

Torcan hadn't felt this nervous in years. He drew a few deep breaths and straightened his tunic before entering the king's private dining room. His father and brother were already there. They stood together, softly conversing.

Lord Izem didn't look up as Torcan entered though his son's eyes flitted towards Torcan briefly.

It was an awkward moment and Torcan exhaled nervously. If this was any indication of how the rest of the night would be, Torcan didn't have high hopes.

Luckily it was only a moment before Darius arrived with Eora at his side.

The three men bowed deeply and waited for the couple to be seated. Darius motioned towards the recliners across from him. "Please, be seated."

Lord Izem quirked an eyebrow when Torcan sat down next to Elora. "My king, you allow your servant to join us?"

Torcan stiffened and cast his eyes down. His father's words struck him deeply. Even though he had been disowned long ago, he hadn't expected his father to disregard him completely. They were still bound by blood. He had committed no crime. He still honored his house.

Darius narrowed his eyes. "Don't overstep your boundaries, lord Izem. I am your king. I can invite at my table whomever I choose. Perhaps your son wishes to get acquainted with his brother."

Lord Izem reacted as if being hit. It was obvious that he was insulted, but he did not speak out.

Darius turned to Mikos while motioning for the musicians to start playing. "Tell me, cousin, how is Salvire faring?"

Mikos glanced at his father who gave a stiff nod. "Balor had grown bolder, my king," Mikos said, "now that Zeir's borders have been reinforced, the mountain tribes turn their eye East. We have had cattle stolen."

Darius narrowed his eyes. "What?" he hissed.

"Rest assured, my king," lord Izem spoke, "we have given chase. We did not capture the thieves, but we managed to reclaim the cattle. However, we would have more soldiers to secure our border. You protect Zeir's borders, my king, but what about our own?"

Darius listened carefully. "How serious is this threat? Have there been more attacks or was this an incident? Is there not a stronghold near Salve?"

"There is, but by the time they would have arrived, it would have been too late." Lord Izem narrowed is eyes in anger. "We keep your borders, king Darius."

Darius narrowed his eyes too. "I have heard no report of this. Why have you not sent a messenger?"

Lord Izem gritted his teeth. "We cannot spare the men." When Darius didn't reply, he pressed harder. "My king!"

"Tomorrow you may put in a formal request," Darius said, "I will read it after the coronation. If more men need to be sent, I will take it up with king Marcos of Zeir. Prince Cyrus will attend the ceremony. He will relay your request. I will also send a missive to Lavos. Perhaps king Elon can be of assistance." He stared lord Izem down. "Will that satisfy you?"

"For now," lord Izem spoke stiffly.

Darius gave a curt nod and turned his head away. He looked at Mikos instead. "Do you enjoy the falcon hunt, cousin? You should stay here for a few days. After the coronation we can ride out together."

"I had intended for us to return home," lord Izem answered in his son's stead.

Darius reply was casual. "It will take time to arrange for the soldiers you asked for. Surely you will remain here until the matter has been solved? But of course, should you wish to return home, your son can stay here and I'll be sure to send an escort with him once he returns."

Lord Izem gritted his teeth. No matter how casual Darius had spoken, it was still an order. And now that Darius was king, it was not something he could decline.

"Very well," he said stiffly, "we will stay."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46 0 40
In the small kingdom of Satia, a momentous announcement was made - Princess Mia had been declared the next in line for the throne. However, there was...
10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...
41K 1.3K 5
"I take what I want, princess, no matter what." TRUTH is hidden behind the LIES. Secrets are buried within the secrets. Darkness lurks in the Light...
34.8K 865 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...