Rose's Thorns || Wattys 2016

By ErinRedBaron

Book 1 in the Clearwater series Maybelle Smith, or Rose as she is more known, is about as stereotypical as yo... More

A Rude Awakening
Werewolves Make Everything Better
Alpha's Secret
Old Memories
A Crash Course In Why My Parents Are Insane
From Bad To Worse
A/N
I've Had A Long Day
A Spoon Full of Sugar
Oh No He Didn't
Puppy Love
Train Wreck
It's Not Fair...
Dog Fight
Make It Stop
Hate
Love
1K veiws!
Stay Safe
What Makes Us Strong
One More Day
The Good of the Many and the Fucked Up Few
Betrayal
Shit Show
It's Just One of Those Days
New story
I'll Remember You
Fuck it
Never Give Up
Living Hell
A Clipped Bird in an Open Cage
Fuaugh...I don't...uff
Little Lima
AHHHHH!
Actions Speak Louder than Words (Part 1)
Actions Speak Louder than Words (Part 2)
Lost
Heed Thy Call
Time for Action
A Means to an End
The end of the mean
Epilogue
Book Two

Sexy Green Eyed Monster

326 15 1
By ErinRedBaron

I walk happily down the hall after my musical ensemble in Ms. Perry's class. A broad smile rests on my face and I can't but giggle every time I think of Ms. Perry's confused face.

I arrive at my next class, Science, and like usual am the first one there. Our teacher Mr. Fletcher is at his desk, writing away on a piece of paper. I lightly clear my throat and Mr. Fletcher finally realizes my presence. He puts his pen down and smiles at me. "Ah, Rose. Early as usual I see." He states raising his eyebrows.

Still in a good mood so I beam at him. "Well you know me sir." I'm much happier than usual and it must show because Mr. Fletcher looks surprised.

"Something good happen?" He asks bluntly. I think back to math and chuckle.

"You could say that." My vague answer seems to satisfy him and he picks his pen back up.

"I see, well good." His gaze falls back to the papers in front of him. "Now take a seat." He says pointing his pen at my station without looking up.

"Yes sir." I respond mechanically, turning towards my station. After about two steps I hear Mr. Fletcher call out to me.

"Oh and Ms. Smith?" I stop and turn back, expecting him to give me some job he's too lazy to do himself like pass out papers.

"Yes?" I'm just in time to see a small round object leave his hand. The little ball hurdles towards me and my instincts quickly kick in. My hand flies up at an inhuman speed and catches the object, only an inch from my face. Mr. Fletcher chuckles at this and says.

"Happy birthday."

Confused, I focus my gaze on the object in my hand. A wave of realization washes over me as I realize that there, pinched between my thumb and my index finger, is a small butterscotch candy wrapped in shiny gold plastic.

The action is so like him that I couldn't suppress a laugh. He didn't seem to notice though as he returned, once again, to his work. My gaze falls from him to the candy and I smile warmly. I clutch the candy tightly in my hand before stuffing it into my pocket.

"Thanks Mr. Fletcher." I say quietly, looking at him from the corner of my eye. However, he just continues writing, showing no sign of having heard me.

I sigh and walk to my station. I throw my backpack on the floor next to me and pull out my notebook. I look up at the clock. There's still a good three minutes before class actually begins. Trying to kill time, I just watch the second hand move slowly but surely around the clock.

When I get bored of that I absentmindedly draw on a blank page of my notebook. Before long, students come filing in at the last second and take their seats.

Ignoring my surroundings, I continue doodling, support my head on my hand.

"Alright everyone, that's enough socializing, you heard the bell! Time to start class!" Mr. Fletcher announces loudly to the class. Funny, I didn't hear the bell? Must have been too absorbed with my sketch.

"First things first." Mr. Fletcher says, standing up from his swivel chair. "We're having a partner change!" This is followed by a chorus of both groans and cheers. My hand stops moving and I glance up at him skeptically.

I really don't want to be forced to work with someone I don't like....again! I raise my head from its perch on my hand and look over to my current lab partner, Katie. Her gaze is locked on the front of the room. She's eager, a look of excitement on her face, as she waits for her new partner to be announced.

Probably just hoping to get paired with one of her two bit friends who all share half a brain. I sigh, closing my eyes and rubbing them softly with my hands. It took me months to get used to Katie.

Always doing her work, putting up with her continuously pushing my buttons, listening to her drone on and on about shoes and skirts.

If I have to put up with another bleach blonde monkey....but I digress.

My hands drop from my face. I look at my half-finished drawing. It was supposed to be the head of a wolf with its tongue lolling out but now I scribble furiously, completely changing my idea.

Mr. Fletcher grabs a clipboard from off of his desk, probably the seating chart. "Okay, let's get started. Brent and Eric,"

I keep my head down, anxiety tying knots in my stomach.

"Julie and TJ, Alex and Martin,"

On my picture the wolf starts to take form. I make its ears go flat.

"Rebecca and Juan, Mindy and Katie," Katie stands to leave, running to another blonde clone. The lips on the wolf are drawn up revealing its long canines, saliva dripping from its open mouth.

"Tristan and Cat, Bobby and Marshall, Zoey and Ken," Its fur is bristled, sticking up and making it look twice its actual size.

"Jessie and Monica, and Rose and Beck." As he says this I finish the eyes, capturing the dark, fierce look perfectly, completing my picture. Even though I'm done I keep my head down so I don't have to look at Beck when he takes his seat next to me.

I already know him a little bit. He's the beta to our rival, the Black Forest pack. We've seen each other and spoken on occasion at pack meetings and such but nothing more than that. He's better than Katie, but just barely.

Trying to break the awkward silence between us, Beck speaks. "H-hey Ro." He stutters nervously at the tense atmosphere that's probably all my doing. I outrank him, and he knows it. The thought of a guy twice my size acting afraid of me makes me smile and I finally look up.

His brown eyes watch me intently as if trying to see if I was going to attack. I eye him and watch his gaze drop to my notebook. His expression turns curious. "What's that?" A hundred replies pop into my head. None of your business, a notebook, duh, me if you keep asking questions. The list goes on. But not being able to choose one I simply slide my notebook over to him and look back up front.

I hear Beck scoff nervously next to me and I prepare for the insults. "Wow, Ro, this is really-" He starts to speak but Mr. Fletcher cuts him off.

"These are the partners you'll probably be having for the rest of the year, so make nice." He points his finger at pair who are glaring at each other. "Now that that's settled..." Mr. Fletcher begins passing out partner work and tells us whatever we don't finish is homework.

Beck still looks like he wants to say something and I quickly hand him his paper, effectively cutting him off. "Okay, want to start on the front side?" I ask evaluating the amount of work there is. I look at Beck for his answer and find him still staring at my picture.

"Good." He says softly, his eyes never straying from the paper. I grow angry at his judgmental stare but ignore it for time's sake.

"Fine then." I grumble through clenched teeth. "Number one says to make a chart that-" As I begin to read the first question, Beck cuts me off.

"No not that." He looks my way and tilts my notebook towards me. "This. It's good, really good actually." I blink in surprise at the sincerity of his words.

"Oh..." Is all I'm able to manage, and I feel my cheeks going pink. Beck must have noticed too because he raises a questioning eyebrow.

"Hmmm, what's this? The big bad alpha can blush?" He chuckles lightly and his teasing makes me turn an even deeper shade of red.

He laughs even harder at my changing expressions. His teasing bugs me and I snatch my notebook back angrily. "Just for that I'm not going to help you with your work." l threaten and look back down at my paper. Beck stops laughing but a smile never leaves his face.

"Aw come on I need you, I'll never get this done on my own." He looks at me with mock desperation. "Please?" He pouts and I can't stifle my laughter.

Once I get my laughter in check I bring my hand to my face and stroke an imaginary beard. "Hmmm, I will consider it if," I put emphasis on 'if'. "If you say that I, Rose, am the greatest and smartest alpha/artist in the world!" I declare in a Russian accent, laughing maniacally.

Beck scoffs and bows his head. "But of course you, Rose, are the greatest and smartest alpha/artist in the world." Once he's finished I pat his still bowed head.

"Then I accept." I say using my free hand to cover my mouth and stop my laughter. He raises his head and smiles. He's cooler than I thought. Especially for being part of the Black Forest pack.

We're both much more relaxed and we proceed to finish our work without a hitch. Once done, I stuff the paper into my binder and look at the clock. Five minutes to spare. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. I think smugly.

Picking up my backpack, I put my folder inside. "By the way..." Beck says from his seat beside me. "Nice DJ work in math today." He says giving me a brief sideways glance. I looked at him curiously. How did he know about that? Does news really spread that quickly around here?

Perhaps noticing my confusion, Beck explains. "I'm in your math class." He states plainly. My brain pops on at his comment and I grab his arm.

"That's right!" I exclaim but suddenly become embarrassed. "I'm sorry, normally I focus all of my energy into hating Ms. Perry." Beck chuckles. He reaches over and pats the hand that lays on his arm reassuringly.

"Don't worry about it. She gives you such a hard time, it's only natural!" I smile gently at his comment, a hint of pink returning to my cheeks.
RING RING RING

The bell sounds and everybody starts moving up once. I take my hand back from Beck and we exchange glances. I want to say something but I can't find the right words. So I just smile and say. "See you tomorrow, partner." I punch his arm lightly before picking up my backpack and walking out, not turning back.

I feel his eyes, boring into my back and once I'm void of his gaze I sigh. That was weird. His hand on mine felt good and I unconsciously look down at it. It was warm. Wait, what am I thinking? I shake my head furiously to rid myself of the thoughts before continuing down the hall.

Next up, lunch. I weave my way through a crowd of people, all trying to get to the same place. Once I make it through, I quickly scan the room and find Lexi and James. I walk over to their table and when they see me they wave.

I reach them and Lexi slides down the bench to make room. I say my thanks and sit down. "Not eating today?" James asks from over his burger.

"Oh, I'm eating." As I answer him I reach out and take an apple from his tray. I quickly take a bite before he can process what I've done. "Just not that slop." I say with a mouth full of apple. Lexi giggles from beside me.

"You know, it's not that bad." She says pushing her tray towards me. A hideous smell wafts up from the food on her plate. I scrunch up my nose and lean away from it.

"Sorry, I don't eat jail food." I say, taking another big bite out of the apple.

"Hello? Is everyone ignoring the fact that she just stole my apple?" He gestures towards me with his free hand. I roll my eyes and stick out my tongue, revealing chewed up bits of apple.

"Ya wan ick ack?"

James just watches me angrily. "There is a special place in hell for people like you." He states lightly, crossing his arms over his chest. I smile, reeling my tongue back in.

Lexi laughs at James's sulking when she suddenly stiffens. "Oh Yeah!" She turns to me like she's just remembered something. A smile stealthily forms on her face. "We heard about your music fest in math class..." She says. James, recovering from the apple incident, nods in agreement while taking another bite of his burger.

I smile and reposition the apple in my hand. "Hasn't everyone?" I ask, sarcasm lacing my tone. Lexi punches my arm lightly.

"Nice going! I never did like the old hag." She sighs. "I just wish I could have been there to see it..." She says pouting. She juts out her lip and glares. I start laughing at her child like behavior and end up clutching my sides.

"S-sorry," I say in between laughs. "VIP access only!" She glares again but this only succeeds in making me laugh harder. In my fit of laughter I suddenly smell something.

The sweet scent envelops me and I bolt upright. I look around wildly for the source but I can't tell with everyone around. "What is that?" I ask wide eyed. Lexi looks at me and mumbles.

"The devil coming to take you back to the fires of hell?" I ignore her sarcastic remark, too caught up in the heavenly scent to care.

"No, the smell, don't you smell that?" I ask, eyes still searching for the source. I feel Lexi stiffen.

"What kind of smell?" She emphasizes the word kind and I look at her. Her gaze holds an air of excitement as she waits for my answer. A bad feeling rises and settles in the pit of my stomach.

Despite my worst fears, I explain. "It smell like rain and honeysuckle in a field of lilacs and roses and-" I end up rambling, drifting off into my own little world. I probably would have stayed there to if Lexi hadn't have grabbed my arm and shook me.

"Your mate Ro! Your mate!" She says in an excited whisper. A dreaded form of realization washes over me. My mate? I immediately tense up but Lexi just tightens her grip. "You have to follow the scent!" She exclaims.

"No!" I jump out of her grip and they both sit there confused. Lexi looks at me like I'm crazy and James looks at me like he has no idea what the heck is going on. Which he probably doesn't.

"What do you mean 'no'?" She hisses. My heart starts racing and only now do I realize the scent is getting stronger. I clutch my head tightly and I know if I stay any longer I'll only cause a scene in the middle of the cafeteria. I swing around to the nearest exit and run.

Lexi calls out to me from behind but I ignore it and keep running. Kids give me curious stares as I push and shove my way past. When I cross the room I throw the door open and rush out.

The empty hall echoes noisily at the sound of my footsteps and I gradually come to a stop. My mates scent isn't as strong but my wolf still urges me toward it.

The intoxicating scent of my mate fills my nose and I fight the urge to follow it. No, I don't want a mate. I tell myself firmly as I continue down the hallway in the opposite direction of the smell. Reasoning and desire fight for control and I take a deep breath, blocking out the scent. Smiling at my ingenious plan I continue down the hall until I hear footsteps behind me.

Crap!

I quicken my pace but in a matter of seconds a hand wraps around my wrist. Tingles run through the place where he touches and lose my breath at the feeling. However, I immediately regain that breath as I turn and gasp. Behind me stands my childhood friend, or I guess I should say ex-childhood friend, Wilfred, wearing the same surprised look I must have on.

We haven't talked or even really seen each other in years, but now I take all of him in.

My gaze falls to his dirty blonde hair that drifts down to his beautiful murky green eyes which stare wide into mine. Leaving his eyes I continue down from his slightly crooked nose, probably from some fight, to his perfectly shaped lips that are open ever so slightly in shock.

When did the little brat get so damn sexy? How could he of all people be my mate? As my mind races Wilfred let's go of my wrist and straightens himself out, an expressionless mask forming on his face. His next words hit me like a ton of bricks.

"I, Wilfred J. Black, reject Maybelle Smith as my mate."

I just stand there in shock, gaping like an idiot as Wilfred turns his back and starts walking away. What? No, he can't just....

A mixture of emotions swim in my heart but one thing sticks out above all.

"Hey asshole!" I spit venomously at him. He stops and looks at me from over his shoulder. "The names Rose, it stopped being Maybelle a long time ago." At my words, I think I see a hint of emotion cross Wilfred's eyes but I quickly blame it on my imagination.

I growl, my wolf taking control and turn on heel before taking of, running full speed down the hall. Wilfred's gaze burning my back as I go. I make my way through the school before rushing outside.

I need to let my wolf run. I go towards the forest next to our school and once I'm completely concealed in the brush, strip down. Once all of my clothes lay on the ground I shift. My bones crack and a thick fur cover my body.

If you'd have blinked you would have missed it. In my place stands an abnormally large wolf. My wolf. Her sleek, lean body covered in long, shaggy fur hiding muscles so strong they could bring down just about anything. Her snow white fur ruffles in the wind that flies past.

I carry my clothes in my mouth before setting off.

I push my new body hard, fueling it with my anger and sadness. I clear my head of everything except the forest that flies past me, but one thought keeps stubbornly drifting through my mind.

He rejected me.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

784 11 27
This is about a female girl Olivia, Liv for short, that is daughter of the alpha. she is the youngest of her kind to become an alpha. she hates when...
8.1K 116 20
((A Pinch of Fantasy Series - book 1))What's worse than being in highschool known as the freak? Being known as the TOWN freak, of course. What's the...
109 6 6
Willow has had a hard life, she's done her best to survive on her own after her parents and pack are brutally murdered by a group of feral wolves. Sh...
10.1K 371 31
First book in the Hybrid mate series...... His name Joshsan Morgan... Future Alpha of the blood scent pack... He loves running.. And being around peo...