The Shadows ✔️ [TSS#3][BXB]

By emmastories

COMPLETED Sequel to 'The Wet Divide' Book 3 of The Sector Series More

The Shadows
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXX
XXXXI
XXXXII
Book 4

XXIV

4.1K 216 194
By emmastories

Raen had held me that night in the hospital bed as I cried silently beside him, letting my emotions of how I truly felt about tomorrow morning out.

None of this was fair. I was being forced to face too many of my deepest fears and nightmares all in one so suddenly. The fear of looking that hazel eyed monster in the eye again, of losing Raen and of course the nightmare that still haunts me to this day. The place known as hell.

The Sky Lanes dungeons. I was going back.

I cried into Raen's chest at the thought but I knew that I had to go. I had to go to at least try to save Raen and everyone else in Gonora if I succeed but there was a slim chance. He will be angrier than ever the minute he sees me and I don't think the crusty ancient cells of the dungeons will hold him down, when it comes to that, I know that I will then be faced with losing my lover..the one person that holds my heart. What was left of it at least.

Raen cried silently as he listened to my wails during the night, clutching me close to him as he stained my back with his tears. Keeping in his anger and frustration in case he accidentally let the beast out.

Raen didn't want this but he knew deep down that he had to. Out of all the possibilities that could happen tomorrow, there may be one chance. One hopeful outcome that could lead us to victory.

What do I even say to him when we meet again? I can't just go around demanding someone as evil spirited as him to talk with me. His version of talk would probably be choking me as he brutally had his way with me. Painfully.

The thought made me shake in fear. Everything horrible that could happen may come through. I guess I would lose everything tomorrow where it all started to go downhill, in that fucking dungeon.

I didn't sleep that night. Only falling in exhaustion for an hour before Raen is shaking me awake carefully. Telling me that we needed to go.

Vixen had made the mistake of telling Malakei about what we were planning on doing today so it's no surprise that he bursts into the room with an angry tear stricken expression. Knowing that I had made up my mind, he doesn't argue or try to stop me.

"You're not going back there alone. I'm going with you."

He had said before taking me in a hug. Sending me some relief but it was squashed by the thought of Malakei's life being in danger.

I didn't argue nor did he. We went with it.

We walked in silence as we headed to the familiar dungeons. Our steps hitting the concrete floor filling the silence around the three of us. The walk outside as we continued along back-ways to the familiar dungeons was long. It felt like it went on forever without end. Once we were out of sight from the citizens view and began venturing to the outskirts, dark and with little people around. I could see why it was secluded the way it was; I just wasn't sure if it was to keep the prisoners away from the city or the city away from the prisoners, away from the tortures and evil that was going on right under their noses.

My heart constricted when we came close to the familiar steps Malakei and I had ran up when we escaped from the torture. I could still feel the way the sun had touched my skin for the first time in days. I cast my eyes up, the gnawing feeling and thoughts making their way to my curiosity. Could this be the last time I saw the sun if things happened to go downhill? To die in a place so dark that even light couldn't reach it?

I gulped and turned back towards the entrance, not realising that I had faltered in my step. I continued onwards, descending the steps of hell.

Raen gives both Malakei and I a nod before pushing the entrance door of the dungeon, revealing the secrets it held and the spiralling darkness that seemed to go on for eternity. My ears flattened against my head when the door made a groaning noise but slowly began to peel away from the sides of my head and stick out normally again.

Raen was the first to walk through and slowly down the hallway, with a quick inhale I followed and stepped over the invisible line in my head.

Now to put my fears away, I needed to focus on why I was here and what needed to be done.

Malakei's hand touched my shoulder and I turn my head to the side to look at him. He looked pale as his eyes darted around at every small movement. We both jumped when a guard who was guarding the inside we managed to miss-shut the door, sealing it closed with the bolt before holding his spear tall.

"I feel really safe now." Malakei murmured with an underlying sarcasm close to my ear and I swallow, turning my head to him as an understanding flashes through my eyes.

"It's going to be ok." I say but the words didn't seem assuring. They were words.

We walked down the black corridor, ignoring the rotting cells either side of us. The sad thing was, we knew that there were people in these cells for most likely crimes that were as minuscule as Malakei and I's. If one stole a loaf of bread, it wouldn't surprise me if they were sentenced to a lifetime in the dungeons all because they were trying to feed mouths. The consequences of stealing was risky yet a better hope if they succeeded rather than dying of starvation.

Vixen stood outside one of the cells towards the end of the corridor, where it circled and held lit torches of fire near each of the cells so that it was visible to see in the darkest of corners. I watched as Vixen took in a breath of relief, most likely not expecting us to come but glad we did. The sad smile reached her lips as Malakei, Raen and I walked closer.

"I just want you to know that I'm proud of you for doing this, this is a big step, it gets even bigger from here."

"It's not like we had a choice." Raen says quietly next to me before taking a calming breath. My gaze however travels behind Vixen to one cell in particular lit up inside by oil lamps and torches. A chair perched in the middle of the cell with a pile of thick metal chains falling around the chair legs. I gulped and turned my eyes to Vixen.

"What do you want us to do?"

"First, we need to get him into that chair." Vixen says while motioning to the chair in the cell before turning back with a sigh to Raen. Thinking he was going to be resistant to the plan while he was here but he couldn't be. He knew what he had to do, he wasn't happy with the choices made for him but we all knew that there was only one way that things were gonna go if he refused to try and help the situation.

I turned to Raen and see him gritting his teeth before nodding once and slowly moving forward. His footsteps loud in the silence as he makes his way into the rotting cell. I follow behind as does Malakei and Vixen, stopping at the entrance of the cell and looking at Vixen.

"It's alright." She assures me quietly with a forced smile.

"It's going to be alright."

Are you lying to me to make the situation feel better? Is it all going to go to shit the minute I step inside this cell? Is this the last time I'm going to be able to look at Raen without seeing a monster? What are you thinking? Tell me!

"I hope you're right." I say robotically before walking into the cell, Mal and Vixen following suit before we all begin to reach for chains as Raen slowly eases himself into the chair.

I catch his eye as I'm wrapping the chain around his hand and arm of the chair, making sure it's tightly bound but I knew that no chains could bind the beast once he was unleashed. I shook away the dark thoughts, looking down at Raen's hand as I'm tying a knot in the chain close to his fingers. As I'm doing so, I see his thumb reach out to caress my hand but only managed to reach my knuckle.

He was trying to comfort me. I should be the one comforting him, he has to be the one to go through this. Although he has us, he's alone. Alone with his thoughts and this monster he's struggled for years with.

I reach forward and place my hand on top of his, feeling the chains beneath my palm as well as soft skin.

"If I could trade places with you right now I would." I whisper out as I turn to look up at him. His eyebrows furrowing at my words as he tilts his head to the side, a small boyish smile crossing his lips.

"I didn't realise you had a kinky side."

I couldn't help the laugh that bubbles from my throat as I look up at him, eyes shinning with hard emotion as tears threaten to fall. How Raen could make light of this situation was beyond me.

I let my head rest on the armrest beside his hand as I look up at him, biting my lip from wobbling, already knowing my nose was red along with my eyes. The next words I say were choked and I wanted to say more, say to him that I didn't want to do this anymore. That we could leave everything and go back to the Dry Lands and just be us again. Back to that playful night in the rain where we rolled around in mud, the time when we almost kissed against a tree at the lake, the time where he showed me the fireflies and how alive I felt in that moment. I wanted time to stop and reverse to when things were as simple as a crush and meeting strange new people in the Dry Lands. I wanted it all with him.

I bring the back of my hand up to wipe my red eyes and sniffle.

"I'll see you later then." I whisper out with a tug of the lips at him and I could see him swallow away the lump in his throat, his eyes crinkling at the sides before I noticed a tear slip and roll down his cheek.

"See you later." He whispers down at me.

We were both never good at goodbyes, that was for sure, but this? This I could deal with. We both could. It was simple and a silent promise that Raen would be ok. We would be ok. It was everything I needed.

Malakei clears his throat then from where he holds what looks to be bronze armour, including a helmet. He diverts his eyes from me and Raen's intimate position and holds the armour out before looking up at me emotionless.

"This is for you. Vixen said to put it on, you'll need it."

"Ok." I said as I get up from my kneeling position in front of Raen, walking forward and taking the armour from Malakei. At the last second Malakei's hand stops mine and he looks like he has Gonora nestled on his shoulders.

"Stand outside the cell Keylin. Please, it's safer. Gods only know what will happen if you're in the cell when he.." Malakei trails off but we both knew who it was he was referring to and I let out a small breath, shaking my head.

"I'm sorry Mal, I have to be in here with him. He won't cooperate if we're behind a cell treating him like a wild animal-"

"He is a wild animal!" Malakei insists with furrowed brows before biting his lip and looking down. I go to protest but Malakei suddenly looks up into my eyes with a serious look.

"If he breaks those chains...I'm not going to stand by and watch him torture you. Not here. Never again."

I gulp at Malakei's words and nod shortly. Understanding exactly what Malakei was getting at.

Malakei wouldn't hesitate to kill Raen. No matter if he was his friend or not. I didn't know if it was because he just knew Raen was already lost and could only do more damage then good or because I meant way more to him than a friend should, but this was insane.

"I'll handle it." I say as I look up at him with fake confidence. "I always do I mean, it's just angry Raen times ten. I can calm him down, he'll listen to me-"

"This isn't Raen Keylin." Malakei insists with a serious frown and growing concern before he sighs and places the armour in my hands.

"Why do I even bother?" I hear him whisper under his breath as he makes his way out of the cell and past a frowning Vixen who was busy casting a ward over the cell door. She turns to me with a frown before sighing and dusting her hands together.

"We should start soon."

Once the armour (which was way too big for my body and seemed as though it weighed 200 pounds) was completely on including the helmet, I turned to Malakei and Vixen who stood behind the cell looking in on me. Vixen looked on with assurance and Malakei who had his hands on the cell bars looking in at me, as if he were about to jump to my rescue at any given moment.

After much debate with Malakei over him wanting to be inside the cell with me for protection, we both came to the conclusion that we didn't want a repeat of last time and I don't think I could afford to lose Malakei. We got lucky the last time, this time we might not and we needed all the help we could get if we were going to face Max.

I nodded at them before turning around to Raen who held an emotionless and slightly defeated expression, choosing to look down at his feet rather than at me.

"Channel him Raen." Vixen says from behind me. "You need to look for him within you. Listen to him. Hear him calling to break the surface. Give him what he wants, give him the light."

"Who's side are you even on?" Raen questions through a breathy laugh. He sounded as if he were struggling, fighting against the beast from making an appearance and holding onto whatever was left of his life.

"Let go." Vixen assures him with a sad smile through the cell bars and that's when I hear it, the dark rumble bubbling from Raen's throat as he lifts his head and I'm coming face to face with the glowing hazel eyes once again.

"Well if it isn't my little lamb..."

He speaks as his eyes pierce mine, finding the whole thing amusing. He doesn't even bat an eyelid at his chains nor his circumstance for that matter.

"We meet again. At least...I think it's you under there?"

He takes in a large inhale through his nose before letting it out and showing his smirk. His teeth if not mistaken, looked as though they had grown sharper.

"I can smell your fear, it's pungent."

That was probably the armour itself, the helmet smelled from the inside as though it had never been washed and the sweat and even traces of blood had clung to the metal over the years. I bring my hand up and rip the helmet from my head, my blonde hair casting in my eyes slightly as I glare at the beast. His eyes dance with something when I reveal myself.

"I'm not afraid." I state quietly and a rumbling laugh bubbles from his throat.

"Of course not, especially when I am bound and you are so far from me. I can barely hear your angelic voice from way over there-"

He leaned forward and the chains jingle. Eyes growing brighter.

"Come closer." He dares.

"Don't." Malakei warns from behind making hazel eyes dart to his with rage and a bubbling growl. Just the sight of Malakei made him restless.

"He's taunting you Key. Don't be stupid." Malakei says as I turn around to meet his worried look. His grip on the cell bars tightening in fear and unable to do anything.

Hazel eyes roared and my eyes snapped back to his. I watched with quickly growing concern as he began to wriggle and pull against the restraints holding him down. They wouldn't hold him for long at this point.

"Untie me from these restraints you filthy hunters or I will rip you all apart with my claws!"

Claws?

"The restraints are temporary. How do we know we can trust you if you're threatening to kill us all every time we meet?" I find myself asking him through the growling and clattering.

It all suddenly stops when he looks up at me with narrowed eyes, calculating as he tried to figure me out.

"Trust me? You can't trust me?! I don't need your trust! I don't need any of you. I wish to be freed and you will unbind me! That is a command!"

This isn't going well.

I wasn't the best at reasoning but I was never this bad. Every time I tried to calm him it only  made him blow up more, when I challenged him it both amused and infuriated him, all he seemed to agree to was submission but I rather rot in the ground before I submit to him. His trust in me was most likely ruined from our last encounter.

What do I do?

"We're not doing this to hurt you." I say in a calming voice and he sneers at me.

"We just want you to trust us, hear us out for what we have to say. Communication between us is lost and I'm trying to fix it."

"You want me to hear you whinge and plead for Raen to come back? I will make sure he never does. He has taken everything from me and now I will do the same to him." He growls at me and I take in a frustrating breath.

"As much as you think, this is not about Raen. This is about you." I grit at him as I drop my helmet and begin to peel off my shoulder pads.

"Because as frustrating as it is, we need you." I rip off my shin armour and peel away the bronze at my chest and fling it across the cell, ignoring Malakei and Vixens pleas. Hazel eyes looks at me with a glint of something in his eyes that I can't place.

"We're in the heart of a war right now. One that involves you becoming a weapon for a very bad being and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it through to you that you are anything but a weapon."

I fling the last of my armour off and step forward, noticing how silent hazel eyes is as he gazes at me.

"I've never come across something like you before and I'm not going to lie, you scare the shit out of me but I'm done. I'm tired of being weak and letting everyone walk over me like I am dirt under their shoes because of what I am. I've lived and died so many times that I've lost count but I know I have a purpose."

With a breath, I reach down and begin to unwind the chains from around his hands. He studies me silently as I do. My breath hitches as I turn to look at him. His eyes glowing.

"I'm trusting you will listen to me when I take away these chains because I believe that this is the only way we both can cross this uncertainty between us. If I'm wrong and you decide to kill me and cause havoc among the city..."

I throw the chains covering both of his hands into the corner and turn to see him staring at me silently. Shaking his piercing stare, I look away, bringing a hand down to touch my cast. I feel his eyes follow.

"Then I was a fool for thinking I could see the good in beings. A curse turned mistake that I wouldn't live to regret and see the world turned into a wasteland of shadows and evil."

"Keylin!"

Malakei screams after a series of no's as he watches hazel eyes reach down to unbind his legs. I turn to Malakei with frightened tears and a pale complexion.

"I'm sorry but it's the only way. We can't reach out to him whilst treating him like a prisoner. He is our equal and we all need to realise that."

"Open the cell, get him out of there!" Malakei screams at Vixen who stares at me with blinking surprise.

"He's going to die!" Malakei screams at her as he shakes on the cell doors trying to open them. Vixen holds him back, an understanding in her eyes as she looks in at me. Soon, Malakei has tears in his eyes, shaking in Vixen's arms.

"Keylin! Don't do this!" He screams as I look at him, noticing his red eyes widen. I turn around as I feel a looming figure tower over me and notice hazel eyes stand to full height, no longer bound and held down by chains, he was free.

He stared down at me with a sort of gratitude before it is quickly gone and that signature smirk crosses his lips.

"I was wrong about you, you are not a lamb."

His words sound foreign, simply because there is no growl or harshness behind his low voice, it's almost a purring sound.

"You're a wolf." His eyes flash brightly and I swallow nervously, afraid to look away in case he would make a move to swipe at me but as the seconds grow by of us standing there and him looking at me like I was a golden crown, my nerves begin to ease.

"I act like a wolf because I have to." I reply calmly.

"I'm still a black sheep. I'll always be a black sheep."

"Yes, you are." He muses as if the thought sounded better and fit me.

"Nonetheless, I can see why they threw you into the lions den, Keylin Angelov." He muses as he brings a hand up to push away a stray hair falling down my forehead over my brow. I can't help but flinch to the side in thoughts of him causing pain but his hands are soft as they move down to caress my cheek.

"I shall listen to what you have to say and answer to whatever you ask of me."

My head quickly snaps to his in attention with eyes wide and unsure, afraid that he is messing with me but he is completely serious and not holding a look about to burst into laughter in the next few seconds. His hand is warm against my cheek as his thumb moves up to touch my healing head wound.

"However, I have conditions of my own." He narrows his eyes down at me as if I were going to suddenly go back on our word of trust and my breath hitches in worry but I manage to nod.

"I only have three, you only have to stick by mine and I will stick by your countless requests of me."

Since when did the tables turn? Somehow he was doing the negotiating here and I didn't know how I felt about it, although I fulfilled my duty right? I got him to listen and possibly obey me even if it meant making a deal with him. This was going good right?

"One: is that whenever I am around, I want him gone and out of my sight."

He growls as his eyes turn to Malakei's burning ones, he hasn't taken them or his hands off the cell doors since the beginning. He heard this however and scoffs in confusion. Hazel eyes growls at this and unconsciously brings a hand around to the back of my neck and grips the hair there painfully as he continues to growl at Malakei.

"I don't like hunters, especially ones that betray their own."

"Alright." I gulp and look up at him, his grip loosens on my neck. "He won't be a problem. What else?"

The glint returns in his hazel eyes and he smirks.

"Two: I won't be chained, forced into a small place like this shit hole. I want free passage-"

"Absolutely not!" Malakei screeches from behind the cell. "The last thing we want is this psycho roaming around doing God knows what!"

Hazel eyes roars at Malakei over my head and I whimper as my hands move up to rest on his chest.

What surprises me is how he cuts himself off from roaring and the anger and rage seems to leave him as he blinks down at me. His eyes glinting as I let out a breath of relief when he seems to calm down.

"I'll only allow it when you're with someone. You can't be alone, you could lose control and might get killed. If it's places you want to see or go, I'll take you but it has to be me."

He lets out a chuckle at that as I jump in shock when I feel his hands come down to rest on my lower back and I'm taken back to a bad place with him. The fear tried to bubble to the surface but I swallow it down and take my hands from his chest.

"They can try to kill me but I will agree to that. With you, shall I have free passage."

"Your last request?" I question as I look to the side. My eyes growing wide as I feel him hook a finger under my chin making me look up at him, into his hazel eyed complexion. It was amazing how even though the only thing different was the eye colour that separated Raen from him, he looked like a completely different being. He seemed taller, voice lower and the way he smirked wasn't how Raen smirked. It was creepy.

Before I could blink, he had me pinned against the wall of the cell and the impact on my back made me suck in a breath. I could feel him step up close to my body, his breath fanning the tips of my ears causing them to twitch as he looks down at me, his teeth between his bottom lip as a soft growl erupts from his throat. It was odd, it wasn't threatening. It was possessive.

"I-I'm not having sex with you!" I stammer out nervously as I turn my head to the side and bring my hands up to his chest.

"After the stunt you pulled last time? I rather not, no matter how tempting it is to claim you right now." He growled lowly as he caught my hands going to punch at his chest and took the opportunity with my neck arched to dive down and lick the centre.

I shivered at the sensation and turned my head to look at him, a low growl coming from him when I do this and for the first time in a few minutes he's angry with me.

"My third request...You will bare my mark, beings will know you are bound to a tiger prince. The strongest and fastest of all tigers. To bare a mark such as mine is an honour, a gift. Wear it with pride."

"What?" I question as my brain racks over his request.

"You want to mark me? Haven't your hands around my neck caused a mark? You're not a tiger, you're in Raen's body, a hunter. His teeth are not sharp like a tigers if you didn't know, nor are his hands."

He growls at this and moves closer to my face.

"I am aware that I am no longer a tiger, I am merely the spirit of a great tiger prince in this shell but that doesn't mean my power is gone. My senses are sharp, my strength maximised and my teeth like razors."

He brings a hand up to press the side of my head against the grimy wall.

"Now, stay still as I mark you."

"Why me?" I question before he leans down and he stops to look at me. He releases his hold on my head and I turn to look at him in confusion.

"If it's such an honour, why give it to me? Why waste it on me?"

"My mark will not be a waste on you." He says down to me as his hand moves down to rest on the side of my neck, his thumb rubbing my Adam's apple. I swallow.

"You are a Trainer, you are born to bond with us and bare many marks. My mark will bind us. I'm giving it to you so that we can connect. Is that not what you desire? That is what you do with us right? Spirituality is your strongest, I can feel it radiating from you whenever I am around." He states seriously and I blink up at him with wide eyes.

"I-Is it safe to do that? I'm already bonded to a panther, could this interfere or can I actually bond with you if you do this? How-"

"I don't know." He growls out at my many curious questions being thrown at him. He sighs.

"I hope you can take it, all of this would indeed be a waste if you died."

"What?" I question wide eyed as I try to move out of his grip but his thumb presses down on my Adam's apple when I do and I push my head back further into the wall in attempt to get away from him, hands going up to claw around his hands.

"Do you accept my request or not? If you don't then we have no deal and I'll break out of here, killing everyone who crosses my path." He growls in my ear and I begin to hyperventilate.

Is it a good idea to bond with something as evil as him? Could this kill me? What happens if it actually works? Will I be able to hear his thoughts and communicate with him like I do with Baja? Feel his emotions-

"O-Ok." I wheeze as his fingers grip harder on my neck. "I a-accept."

His hands immediately leave my neck to trail down to my shoulders and before I know it, he captures my lips in his making my head fall back against the cell wall, completely taken by surprise. His tongue dominates and explores my mouth in a heated kiss for a moment and there's a part of me that melts because it's Raen's kiss but I stop myself from kissing back when I realise that it's definitely not Raen.

He breaks the kiss, both of us panting as he breaths close to my lips.

"This is going to hurt. Try not to move." He states seriously and for a moment I'm confused on what he could be talking about but he's quickly moving his head to the side and diving down to my neck, the excruciating feeling of my skin being torn makes my body jolt in surprise.

The scream that leaves my lips is filled with pain and terror as I shut my eyes tight, tears breaking through and clogging around my eyes screwed shut. I feel his teeth everywhere, invading my neck as he marks me. Creating the bond between us and forcing the connection to run. I didn't think that it worked like that, bonds were special and delicate. This could ruin everything.

I inhale and let out pained breaths as the feeling of something wet soaks my skin and rolls down my right shoulder and chest.

My hearing goes, leaving a sharp ringing as my heartbeat could be heard pounding rapidly to the point that it wasn't normal anymore. The feeling of intense familiar burning causing me to lurch forward into hazel eye's arms-

Luke. His name is Luke.

Luke catches me but pushes me back to balance against the wall, his hands on my waist steadying me as he bites deeper into my flesh. Deeper to the point where I could feel him ripping through muscle, through veins and through my throat. I whimper as my vision goes blurry for a moment, seeing double of both Vixen and Malakei behind the cell doors.

I whimper and with heavy limbs, shove my hand weakly against Luke's chest at a fleeting attempt to get him off, he growls through his mark and I feel it electrify my body. I couldn't help but gasp up to the ceiling.

'Stop moving.'

A voice in my head says that I jump in fright at. It was low and had a domineering presence. It felt weird. My whole body felt weird like I was burning up and freezing all at once.

"S-Stop, obsecro...no more..." I plead hoarsely when I can't feel my neck and my feet gave way from under me if it weren't for Luke curling a hand around the middle of my back and crushing me against him to hold me up.

After what felt like an excruciating amount of time and I was on the verge of unconsciousness, he pulled back. Mouth dripping of blood-my blood as he wipes most of it off with his sleeve and the back of his hand.

I can barely function, my brain was sluggish and my senses were still heightened to the point my ears were almost shrivelled raisins. Although I did come to one conclusion; my abnormal heartbeat was not the doings of
my heightened fear but it was Luke's too. I could hear his heart beat. I could still hear it beat as he held me up close to him, only steady and not as rapid as mine.

I wanted to ask him did it work, if we were connected now but I was simply too weak to do anything. I couldn't even stand on my own.

Carefully, Luke tried to pick me up into his arms to carry me but the pain of simply moving my neck made me howl as I rest my cheek on his chest, breathing heavily as my pulsing flesh wound was exposed to the cell before me. I was becoming a sweaty mess.

'You did well little wolf, my mark has taken its toll on you. Rest now. You will heal quickly with the strength of both bonds.'

I hear his voice buzzing in the back of my mind and I can't move or have the strength to reply to him. I stare out with hooded eyes as my cheek rests on his calmly rising chest, almost paralysed and it terrified me.

I was more so lifeless and stiff in his arms as I felt him carry me. From the corner of my eye I see movement and my eyes shut tightly when the booming sound of the cell door is being ripped open off its hinges by Luke. Not realising we had underestimated his power the whole time. To think that those chains could hold him down, he was faking it. He could rip them off with a jerk of his hand and we would have been at the mercy of him and his wrath. The question that sprung to my mind was why didn't he break out sooner if he could? Why listen to me and agree to any of this when he could get whatever he wanted? Why bother?

I brought my hand up in a daze and placed it against Luke's chest, over his heart as I felt it pulse under my fingers. His small growl of acceptance hitting my ears and making them twitch.

There was so many feelings, thoughts running through my head it was overwhelming to the point I couldn't move. I felt pain, curiosity, anger, acceptance, hurt...was this the bond?

"Fucking hell..." Malakei whispers in fear as Luke steps through the battered cell door now in pieces and bent in sharp angles. I can hear him and Vixen both step back as they look at us. Although I felt I wasn't completely here in this moment in time, I could still hear them and grasp what was happening around me. My brain was on overdrive and I wanted to bounce off the walls with adrenaline but at the same time, I couldn't catch my breath. I couldn't move and my eyes felt tired. The throbbing pain from the mark on my neck was starting to dull to a burning. Something I was familiar with when I was going through the process with Baja only not as intense. Was this process finished? Was the bond complete?

"Vixen, What did he do to him? Is he going to be ok?" Malakei questions quietly through a lump in his throat.

Luke growls from above me and I could feel the anger radiating off of him at just the mere look of Malakei. He hated him so much that his feelings were coursing through me. Making me in turn angry if it wasn't for the feelings of being trapped. The anxiety coming from Luke. It was all familiar to me.

"He bonded with Keylin." Vixen says slowly as the realisation becomes clear, she was not expecting this to happen one bit and I didn't know how I felt about that.

"Is that even possible?" Malakei questions as he moves to the side, making way for Luke as he steps forward with me in his arms. Never taking his gaze from me.

A low rumble comes from Luke as he steps forward, stopping before Vixen to narrow his eyes and flash her a bloody sneer before spitting blood at her feet.

"He just made it possible."

Vixen says with a hint of worry but her words were filled with shock and amazement. Not believing that such a thing could be done.

My neck sizzles and my mouth falls open in pain, eyes bulging in terror as a whimper leaves my lips. The side of my head crashing against Luke's hard chest as my breathing begins to pick up and the pain of the bond makes it's way to the surface.

Luke growls, his eyes shifting to Malakei and Vixen in thoughts of them making a move on him. He was afraid, I could feel his heart beat afraid they would try to take me away from him. I was his weakness now, he knew that and he was going to make sure I was protected at all costs, even if that meant killing the people I loved. He clutches me tighter against him, growling in threat before burying his nose into my hair and narrowing his eyes at them.

"Do you know me?" Vixen questions Luke as she holds up her hands, demonstrating that she meant no harm.

"You are a witch." Luke says but through Raen's voice, it sounded odd and not how it sounded in my head.

"My name is Vixen, you are right. I am the fourth descendent of the Bloom coven."

"Bloom." Luke tests the word out on his lips. A spark of familiarity and remembrance hits me at that name. A memory coming to light but it's not mine. It's Luke's.

"I know of Jebodia Bloom?" He questions curiously and there's a moment of hesitation.

"He was my father." She says quietly and pain rips through me. Not the intense physical pain coming from the mark but the kind that makes your heart constrict, that makes you want to burst into tears. Vixen's father died and I could feel the pain coming from Luke. It was horrific and I knew that they must have known each other. Maybe even have been friends.

"Why are you here?" He questions her with a calmness to his voice. "What do you want of us?"

"I think you already know." Vixen states with a knowing look and I feel her worried eyes train to me.

"You've bonded with Keylin, I know that you didn't hesitate once you did to look into his mind and memories. You know why you are here. You've seen the Shadow prince."

I can feel him look down on me, my hand never left his chest nor did my head as I suffer the pain and toll of the mark, my eyes transfixed ahead of me. I felt as though I couldn't leave his side, I needed him. The bond was too strong and dangerous, feeling as though it could kill us if we were apart.

I clutched his chest in fear and I could feel him reading my thoughts, like a presence in the back of my mind.

"He taunts him, plagues him with nightmares and sickness. Why? He has suffered so much in this life..." He questions down at me although the question wasn't for me, he looked up at Vixen with worry, confusion and anger all jumbled together.

"What does this Max want with me? He doesn't have the answer I am looking for." He refers to me as he looks to Vixen and she sighs at this.

"We will find out in time but you mustn't fret over the unknown. We will know when the time is right. For now, Keylin is exhausted. Don't forget he is battling to bond with two marks, his soul is weighed down. He needs a lot of rest."

"You are right." Luke states as he begins to walk with me in his arms forward. Growling at Malakei when he moves forward but doesn't do anything. He instead gazed down at me, his lips close to my temple as he inhales my scent.

"I will take him to his room. Once I know he is safe, I will leave him with Raen."

"Luke.." I whisper out breathless as my fingers clutch the fabric of his shirt. His mark continuing to sizzle and burn onto my neck. Tears spring to my eyes.

"..D-Don't leave me.." I choke out through the pain and I feel his pain. His want to comfort me. His lips brush my forehead.

"I am with you my little wolf. Don't be afraid. You must rest now. You need to build your strength again."

"Luke..." I whisper hoarsely as my vision begins to blur again and the burning reaches another height.

"Follow us to the infirmary, we will take care of him there." Vixen states as she begins to lead the way out of the dungeons. Luke doesn't hesitate to follow and Malakei trails behind.

I didn't feel myself slip into unconsciousness only when I was waking to being laid down on a bed. My bed in the underground hospital where I have been for the past few days. I open my eyes tiredly and stare up at Luke laying me down gently before he begins to pull up the sheets over my body. Turning and taking a wet rag from the table near the bed and pressing it to my neck, cleaning the blood from it.

"Stay." I whisper hoarsely up at him before turning and letting out a wheezy cough as the sizzling happens once more, faint this time. It was almost done burning its mark into my skin. The mark of a tiger.

"Rest little wolf. I will not be too far away." He whispers as he shushes me, bringing his hand up to brush back my blonde hair falling down and sticking to my forehead. I force my eyes open again to look up at him only to find his bright hazel eyes gazing down at me with amazement.

"I can see my mark in your eyes. It's almost complete." He says in assurance before leaning down and licking my neck. My eyes screw shut and I let out a groan. What frightens me is the sound I make. It wasn't mine, it was lower and a mixture of a tiger. My breathing picks up slightly but I'm too exhausted and sink back against the pillow instead of arching my back off the bed. Luke's lips kiss softly over my mark in means of comforting me and I sigh, tilting my head more to the side as he eases the pain, sealing the mark and binding our souls for eternity.

It's only when his lips move from my mark and he is looking down at me once more that I let out a dissatisfied low rumble causing him to chuckle deeply in amusement at me. He brings his hand back to run through my hair and I purr at this, blinking up at him curiously and I feel different. I can see better, hear better. I felt strong.

"I think instead of me giving you the honour of bearing my mark, I have the privilege of sharing a bond with you, Keylin Angelov. A Trainer as strong and fearless as yourself, I am honoured and will do everything to protect you. I won't bare to be apart from you, I will follow you to death if be it and I will help you defeat the Shadow prince. You have my word."

He leans down and places a kiss to the centre of my forehead and I let out a sigh, my hands moving to his clothed chest. He grabs my hand and laces our fingers together, his forehead resting against mine.

"Our bond is strong. You bare it well but don't be fooled by it. The ability to resist such a bond's temptation depends on the strength of the Trainer. You must resist temptation Keylin."

"I-I don't want to." I whisper close to his lips, the pull between us...we both felt it. It was much too strong. All I had to do was lean up and our lips would touch.

"It is not a choice." He whispers. "Once you have rested, you will be stronger and able to resist the temptation."

He growls as I begin to trail kisses along his neck, my hands rubbing up and down his chest before they move to the backs of his shoulders. I don't know where my strength was coming from as I used him to pull myself up into a sitting position, my knees coming to kneel either side of his lap as I sit on his leg, my hands moving up his neck as I trail more kisses along his cheek.

"Keylin?" He growls in warning but he wasn't mad at me. He was fighting himself not to be tempted for some reason as he grips my sides tightly. Not pulling me close but not pushing me away either.

I smirk as I kiss close to his lips and he grits his teeth at this, a lustful growl emanating from his throat and I can't help but growl back in need as I move up his thigh.

"Stop this." He growls at my lips before I tilt forward and capture our lips, my hands grabbing his hair at the back of his neck as I fight with him for dominance. He growls into our kiss and moves his hands from my side up my back. Digging his nails into my skin and dragging them down my back agonisingly slowly. It drove me insane as I let out a mewl, dragging my lower half against his thigh making me break the kiss and gasp up to the ceiling.

These feelings-everything was so overwhelming and I wanted more.

My eyes glowed golden in the dark room, the sun having set hours ago. I couldn't even feel the pain of my broken arm anymore. Was it even broken anymore? I kissed him hungrily. My fingers gripping and pulling his hair tightly causing a loud growl to escape our kiss.

"Stop this Keylin...before you do something you will regret." Luke pants out as I feel his hands betray him and start to pull on my shirt.

My eyes shine in a glazed over feeling as I look at Luke. My animal instincts taking over me and I bring a hand around to cup his cheek. Looking into his eyes like a spell was cast over me and if I looked away, everything I felt right now would disappear.

I could feel him everywhere, invading my mind, my memories and my soul. The feeling was amazing as if I were on a constant high. It was like when I moved my hands or spoke it wasn't me, I was watching myself speak and move and I didn't register what was happening. I craved Luke. I could feel him crave me too. This must be more than the bond. I feel like I've known him my whole life, like a piece of me has been missing this whole time and with Luke it was restored. I wanted to feel every inch of him as he does me and invade my space entirely so that everything was Luke.

Luke.

"Luke.." I whisper against his lips before crashing my lips against his with such force makes him stumble back slightly but he regains himself and brings his hands up to my back. Growling before ripping my shirt apart with his hands. Looking down I notice my shirt in two halves as he flings them behind him and grabs my thighs, pushing them apart and making me fall backwards on my back against the pillow in a panting and needy mess.

"I warned you..." He grits out between his teeth before ripping his shirt apart in one go and I'd be lying if I said it didn't turn me on.

"Luke, please." I moan up in a breathless mess. Blinking my golden eyes as the sound of our hearts beat in the same time.

He brings his hands around the dip of my back and pulls me up into a breath taking kiss that leaves me wanting and craving more. I moan into his lips as I tangle my hands through his hair. The thought of ripping my cast open crossing my mind as it was in the way.

Luke suddenly dips his head into my neck and kisses his mark causing my body to jolt in surprise.

A wave of nausea and tiredness suddenly hits me, along with the unbearable pain that brings tears to my eyes as my mind grows empty and emotions dampen. This didn't feel...

Luke's head suddenly jolts back and what surprises me is that I'm no longer met with golden hazel eyes but green..concerning, confused and angry ones.

The thought and realisation of what I did-what I could've done makes me feel hollow and disgusting and hopeless and-

"What did he do to you?" Raen whispers out in horror as he examines my neck, eyes growing tearful as he brings a hand up to touch the teeth marks inflicted into the flesh on my neck.

The slightest touch makes me cry out and I can't hold myself up anymore as I fall forward into Raen. He catches me and holds me close, looking down with worry as I lay on him, only having the strength to breath now unlike a few minutes ago when I wanted to rip open my cast. My arm throbbed painfully at the stupid thought.

Darkness suddenly consumes me as I fall under. Exhaustion finally taking its chance to surface as I sleep deeply in Raen's arms.

**

Hi guys! I managed to update amidst my busy schedule😅 Hope you liked the chapter, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this twist👀

Also, just thought I should point out that my characters are not perfect. It's simply impossible to create the perfect hero/heroine of a story. My characters have flaws and that's not a bad thing. You may think it's awful and change your perspective- that's completely fine. I try to make my characters relatable and not follow certain stereotypes.

Mila for example. She is hated by EVERYONE, although she was closest to Raen before Keylin came along - she was never nasty to Keylin. Above anything, she encouraged Raen and Keylin's relationship and respected it by not pursuing Raen. Some part of this would be because of the Dry Lander rules but also loyalty is a major part to Mila. It shows the person she really is.

There's Bow, who loves his brother and would do anything for him, can be stubborn and quick to judge, especially when it comes to Keylin.

Anya (I lowkey love this savage omd's) who struggles with making friends and it's mostly down to her status as the daughter of a God. She learned how to manipulate people with this secret for years and always has to voice her opinion whether it be positive or negative.

Malakei is literally a puzzle I'm still putting together because his character is so complex. I feel like I haven't shown you all of him but he is loyal, insecure, strong, smart, a freaking scardy cat, funny - he's so many things. He can be manipulative at times and selfish without tending to be.

Raen - I'm not even going to start. I know in book 1 everyone was out for his ass but now in book 3 not so much? I could be wrong but I feel like Raen's character has really grown since book 1. What do you think?

Keylin(my baby) has grown so much and I hope I did his character justice. In book 1, he was very young and sheltered from the world. I portrayed him as innocent, scared and naive. Many people didn't like that and I understand but he is now 18, two years have passed and he has seen the world, what it's like, what the people are like. He's learned the hard way how to really live in Gonora. If he was never exposed to the Dry Lands (and Raen), he probably would've still been the naive and innocent elf in the High Peaks.

It's 12 at night and I'm making no sense😂

I think I'll leave it here, goodnight everyone!

Emma x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.4K 1.9K 45
(Silently Drowning Series - Book Two) Maybe that's it. We eventually go numb; because you can't break a heart that's already broken. Maxwell Augustu...
78.4K 2.6K 11
A short Forth Beam story
222K 12.7K 31
(COMPLETED Sequel to 'The Dry Lands' Book 2 of The Sector Series)
74.4K 2.1K 38
Season 2 of In Another Era Bound by a forbidden love, Prince Kenric and Archie have to navigate a world of secrecy and magic. The stakes are rising a...