The Shadows ✔️ [TSS#3][BXB]

By emmastories

COMPLETED Sequel to 'The Wet Divide' Book 3 of The Sector Series More

The Shadows
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXX
XXXXI
XXXXII
Book 4

XX

5.2K 232 296
By emmastories

I was at the fountain.

My heart was beating so loudly in my chest as I looked on at the figure standing in the middle of the fountain with a sword in his hands, shoulders tense as he looked ahead. I could hear him panting.

As I drew closer to the edge of the fountain, I squinted at him. He looked panicked as he mumbled something to himself but it was loud and booming in my ears. His words made my blood run cold and face pale.

"It's not over.." He whispers in horror. I noticed that if I listened closely, I could hear the sound of metal on metal and arrows whizzing through the air. The sound of death as invisible people around us died. My eyes widened in fright as I looked around only to see no one but us.

We were alone in the fountain.

I turned back to the figure.

"Hey." I call as I step up onto the concrete slab. Swallowing in fright as I notice the figure tense up as if he heard me.

"Malakei?" He calls out worriedly.

I jump down into the water that is above my knees and grows deeper the further I go, running to him but before I can reach out to him he turns and grabs my wrist with a clenched jaw. Eyes dark and face bloodied. I gasp and take in his complexion.

He was me. An exact copy only he looked stronger and sure of himself. He tilted his head at me before wasting little time, grabbing his dagger in his criss-cross and driving it into my stomach.

I scream awake and go to sit up only for hands to grab hold of my shoulder. I scream in fear and bring my elbow back against the person's chest. They groan as I whimper in fright.

"Keylin? Baby it's me." I hear Raen say through his pain and I immediately stop thrashing trying to get out of his grip. Panting heavily as I try to calm down. Raen's hand remains on my shoulder, squeezing in reassurance before sliding down to rub my chest. I notice how his hand stays over my heart. Pressing down so that he can feel how fast it was beating.

"It's alright. You're safe. It was just a dream Keylin."

He shushes me and I let my eyes fall shut as my head falls sideways against the pillow, I take in steady breaths all the while Raen spoons me from behind.

"It wasn't just a dream." I state quietly looking out at the dark room before me. It was definitely late into the night. I bring my hands up to grab Raen's hand, sighing when I feel his fingers lace through mine.

"I saw myself at the fountain. I-I think I was in the middle of the war. It was here in the Sky Lanes. I think I just had a premonition.."

I say coming to the realisation that what I saw may have been my future-not the part with me stabbing myself.

When I stepped into the fountain, I must have meddled with the vision and the 'future me' must have thought I was the enemy. If I had waited longer in silence, I might have saw something or heard something else. What was all of that about Malakei?

"Really?" Raen breaths out in concern as he sits up so that he's kneeling and looking down at me, I move onto my back and quirk myself up on my elbows nodding up at him.

"This is the first time since Max that I've had a dream like this. I think it's a sign he's getting closer with his army. What if we don't have enough time to prepare the army and get the civilians out? I don't think we have enough numbers."

"We need to go to Vixen." Raen says seriously. Eyes far away. "She needs to know about this."

"You're right." I state before getting up into a sitting position over the bed and getting to my feet. Raen grabs my hand from the bed at the last second with a startled cry.

"Now?" He questions up at me, already moving to the side of the bed and grabbing a shirt to throw on. He was already in a pair of loose baggy trousers as was I and wearing a shirt. I didn't bother putting on shoes as my bare feet padded the floor, pulling him to the door.

"Now." I confirm as I look back at him seriously before flinging the door open and running with him down the dark hallway.

"If this is what you think then we have a serious problem."

Vixen states from where she sits with her feet tucked under her on the sofa. Mug of herbal tea in hand. She takes sips as Raen and I stand looking down at her with folded arms and tight lipped expressions.

"I assure you I haven't seen this. If I did I think I would have dressed better for the occasion."

She puts her mug on the small table in front of the sofa and sits back. I glance down at her spotted trouser bottoms and sleek nightgown. Raen grunts at her in agreement.

"Is it important?" I question and she thinks over it for a moment before sighing and getting up from the sofa.

"It may be your subconscious trying to tell you something you're trying so hard to ignore, it conjures up a version of you just to get your attention..." She states offhandedly as if the thought just came to her and she was looking to the heavens for the answer. I blink at her, thinking she could be right.

"Ok let's say it is Keylin's subconscious trying to reach out.." Raen folds his arms over his chest and raises a brow at Vixen. "What is it trying to say?"

"Now that is a good question." Vixen smirks at him before grabbing her mug from where it sits on the table. She looks up and opens her mouth, willing the words to come to her.

"One that I cannot give an answer to."

Raen sighs at that while I bring my hands up in exasperation before letting them fall back to my sides. Vixen raises a brow at me.

"Tone down the sass Keylin."

"Sorry." I fold my arms over my chest and bite my lip shyly as I could feel a blush coming onto my cheeks.

"I just...I wish you could help us. Instead we're here pondering over something that may be nothing."

"But it could be something." She counteracts as she snaps her fingers and the mug disappears from her hands. Going where? I didn't know. It was in space for all we knew.

"I know someone who might jut be able to help you." She looks up with a small smile. "We go way back actually. I knew him when he was shoving grass in his mouth." She chuckles at her statement.

"Who?" I questioned with raised brows.

"Wait a minute." Snake boy-or Alex as we've come to know his name scrunches his brows in disbelief as Raen, Vixen and I look at him.

He was in an above ground bunker that I didn't know existed until now when it came to seeking him out. He was here with a few of the other Trainers including Grace and Nyx who waved at me when we arrived in the bunker they were using as their training session and socialising with one another away from the light of watchful eyes. A smirk fell upon Alex's lips as he thought of our request.

"You want me to train you and a Dry Lander?" He raises a brow at me and I grit my teeth. Not liking his tone one bit as I explain to him for the third time that Raen is no ordinary Dry Lander. I think the fact that Raen has no animal confuses him to no end. The thought that Raen killed his animal on accident disgusts him entirely.

"Max is almost here and I'm not strong enough to fight against him. None of us are." I reason but he scoffs at that.

"Speak for yourself."

I growl at that and his snake hisses at me where it's perched on his shoulder, wrapped around him like a jumbled scarf.

"Look." I state seriously. "You're not a big fan of me, I get it. I'm not mad about you either but this is ridiculous. If we don't help each other now we will be at the mercy of Max when he gets here and I can't stand to see anymore people die because of me and my stupid actions. Raen is a Trainer and I heard you were supposed to be very good with helping beginner Trainer's with containing their animals. I know Raen is powerful. He can still feel the connection and I think that if you helped the both of us in becoming stronger, we might have a real shot at defeating Max and bringing an end to The Shadows once and for all."

There was a moment where Alex just looks at me, tilting his head at me in contemplation as his snake flicks it's tongue out, trailing down his arm.

"Alright." He eventually says and I let out a breath of relief at that.

"I'll help. Be here tomorrow before the sun. We have a lot to work on so I guess we better get to it." He sighs out before turning back around to his punching bag. Continuing with his upper body training. Black hair sticking to his neck and around his face in sweat and I grin at him turning to Raen who smiles at my gaze, looking as though a weight has been lifted from behind his eyes.

"We will be here."

"I hope we know what we're getting ourselves into." Raen muses as he walks by my side in the warm sun filled air outside the main grounds of the Sky Lanes.

I move my gaze from the water fountain in the distance and turn to Raen with a tilt of my head, a smirk playing on my lips.

"You don't trust me?" I question playfully making Raen scoff and turn to me with a smile.

"Not one bit."

I roll my eyes and shove his shoulder making him chuckle as he regains his balance.

"I'm wounded Raen." I state with a pout but can't seem to stop the smile from forming on my face when Raen brings his arms around me, holding me from behind as we walk in sync, stumbling forward.

It's only when I look up, eyes finding a certain individual coming out of the main building that all colour and amusement drains from my face.

The familiar pirate stood out amongst the crowd and passer by's didn't fail to make it obvious how they glanced at him with curiosity.

All of the memories from our last encounter came flooding back to me when I saw him, remembering his fists as they brutally punched my core over and over-

I tense when I feel Raen's lips on the back of my neck and I blink repeatedly trying to get out of my daze as well as watch François as he slowly makes his way up to the fountain.

"I'll be back in a minute..." I state slowly as I untangle Raen's hands from around my middle and stepping away from him. Glancing back just as Raen was about to open his mouth. A frown on his features now replacing the amused smile that was once there.

"Stay here." I state seriously. Trying not to make it sound like I was warning him as I turned to make my way quickly to catch up with the pirate. I was going to find out exactly why he was here.

I made my way up behind the pirate who was shamelessly bringing his hands down into the clean fountain water and taking a drink. Noticing how he ignored the onlookers who were sending him dirty looks of disgust as they watched this filthy Divider take a drink from their fountain. I cleared my throat causing François to stop what he was doing. He didn't turn around however as he let out a sigh.

"I had a feeling I would bump into you. I thought it would be sooner rather than later but none of that matters now."

François turns around and sits down on the stone edge of the fountain. Smiling a sly toothy smile up at me.

"Keylin Angelov, as I live and breath. How is the good life treating you brother?"

"What are you doing here?" I question lowly. Ignoring his question as I fold my arms over my chest.

"I doubt you are here to help us fight Max."

"You've lost weight too. Not to mention muscle. If I didn't hate you I would be concerned."

"You put on weight too. Not to mention wrinkles, if I didn't hate you I would be concerned." I grit out and François let's out a boisterous laugh. Pointing a finger at me with a sly smile.

"You still have that attitude I see. Tell me, has it gotten you into trouble like I warned you about?"

"Why are you here François?" I question him again with a frown as I dare to walk closer to him.

"I am collecting my reward. The reward that you promised me so long ago."

There were no money bags by his side. I didn't know if he was lying to me or he just didn't have the time to collect it yet. I grit my teeth at this and narrow my eyes at him, letting my hands fall at my sides now. There was nothing more I wanted to ask him. He was here for money. After he has collected his reward. He can leave.

"Have a nice life François." I turn around and search the ground for Raen with a frown, about to walk away when François says something that makes my body tense.

"Don't you want to know who is paying me for all of this? Why all of this has happened?"

"What?" I question with furrowed brows as I turn around.

"I already know Kova has something to do with it. That's enough."

"You're right but it's not him that's paying me. Kova only did his part in getting and keeping you here."

"You...You ratted us out to the Sky Lanes.." I blink at him in shock. A frown forming on my features as a sly smile formed on François.

"Everything I went through-everything Malakei went through. It was all because of you. You betrayed us." I look down in realisation, trying to settle the rage that was beginning to form inside of me.

"Ratted is a bad word to use. I simply informed the right people about you and your friends crossing paths-"

"-That was because you kidnapped us! We didn't have a choice!" I raged at him but François wags his finger at me.

"You were already running away from the Dry Lands Keylin. I did what was necessary and it worked out for all of us."

"What?" I question. "You got to witness us suffer while you collected your fucking reward? We could've died because of you in those dungeons!"

"I didn't put you in those dungeons kid and I didn't think the Sky Lanes would have anything to do with it but I guess that's just it isn't it? When you have friends in high places huh?"

I was breathing heavy now but my rage turned to confusion when I heard his words. He said he didn't go to inform the Sky Lanes about us crossing sectors, then how did they find out? They were the ones that said they were informed in the first place.

"You're lying." I grit out.

"I'm not." He frowns at me. "I'm everything but a liar, you know that."

I fall silent at that before shaking my head and moving forward.

"Who did you tell?" I question him and the silence stretches on agonisingly before François smiles and pats my cheek, the silver chain of a necklace exposing to the sun from under his shirt catching my eye. At the sight only one thing comes to my mind and the thoughts make my body grow cold.

"If it means anything. I'm sorry it came to this." François retreats his hand to his side with a lopsided smile. In his eyes there was no sign of regret for what he did. My hand twitches at my side and I nod at him in understanding as I close my eyes and let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry too." I state calmly before opening my now narrowed eyes and without warning, I shove a confused François into the fountain of water, taking off my shirt quickly and jumping on top of him just as he was breaking the water surface for water, I land a punch to his jaw.

"Give me that necklace!" I roar at him as I clasp my fingers around the silver chain while keeping François under me.

"Fuck you!" He gargles through water before grabbing my hands and with all his strength, headbutts me. I'm stunned for a moment and this gives him the opportunity to sneak out from under me.

I look up to see him swinging his foot at my cheek and I don't register where I am until a face full of water hits me and I spit it out. Getting on all fours as I cough blood into the water. Hating the taste of copper filling my mouth.

François gets up and I watch him rip his shirt off of his body, exposing his large muscular chest littered with years of abuse along with one silver winged necklace. The only pure thing on him. It gives me the strength to fight for it even more in the burning sun.

"You want this?" François questions me as he brings his thumb up to wipe under his nose where a small trickle of blood was starting to form.

I sit back in a kneeling position, my head turning to the side to spit out more blood before narrowing my eyes up at him. He licks his lips at this.

"Come and get it."

François kicks at the water sending a wave to splash over me, momentarily blinding me when I get up only for him to tackle me. Not realising how light my body was now as he practically pulls me up into the air only for me to have twice as much weight falling on me when I hit the ground. I let out a strangled scream before water is filling my lungs and François is sending punches to my side.

The pain is the only thing I can think about at the moment. The excruciating feeling of being sent through memories of when Malakei and I were in the dungeons. No more.

I was getting that fucking necklace even if I had to drag this bastard to his grave.

With a growl, I wedge my leg between his, my knee crushing his balls as I feel his strength holding me down diminish and I seize my opportunity to land a clear punch to his jaw which sends him spiralling to the side. I twist our bodies to the side so that I am straddling him now, sending clear punches to his face until I can't recognise his features due to all of the blood and coated water around us.

Even when I snap off the necklace from around his neck, I keep punching him. Not letting the tears get in the way as my punches grow sloppy and François' body growing limp from where I was holding him under the water for so long-

Hands were suddenly wrapping around my waist and lifting me up out of the water. I tensed and tried to hit the person behind me who had went in to get me and was already halfway out of the fountain. I felt too far gone as I clutched my mother's bloody necklace in my shaky hands.

"Let go of me!" I screamed out just as the man behind me speaks making my eyes widen and breathing become erratic.

"Stop it." My father grits in my ear and the anger in my father's voice is enough to keep me quiet until I get out of the fountain altogether.

Until I see my grandfather staring out in utter shock and fear in his eyes as he looks out at me. Probably thinking how monstrous I have become. I was unrecognisable and livid in this moment, my father stopped me from going for him but he couldn't stop the harsh words I threw my grandfather's way.

"Traitor!" I screamed at him making my father tighten his hold on me.

"Keylin! Calm down." My father urges me and I can't help but laugh at that bitterly. He begins dragging me back into the fountain in the opposite direction of my grandfather and the small forming crowd.

"He is the reason I'm here in the first place! Why Malakei and I were taken and put on trial. He knew this was the only way to get to us where he could control us and keep us here. He is a fucking monster and I'm going to ring his neck when-"

My father suddenly stops and turns me around to face him. He grabs my chin and makes me look up at him. His eyes searching.

"I'm not leaving this fountain until you calm down right now Keylin Aurelli Angelov." My father says seriously and I can't help but frown in my angered state.

"Aurelli?" I question breathless as my father lets go of my chin, noticing how swollen it was from François' punches and places either hands on my shoulders as he looks down at me.

"It was my father-your grandfather's name. He was a stubborn man and had a burning temper." I look up at my father with quickly softening eyes as I listen intently.

"Just like you." He finishes with a lopsided smile, looking down at my burning glare before bringing a finger up to my forehand. I watch with wide eyes as he winced and brings his hand away quickly, imitating as if he burned it due to my hot headed temper.

"You would be angry too if you found out that someone you loved was lying to you this whole time about something so-"

"Oh trust me.." My father cuts me off with a chuckle as he squeezes my shoulders. Brows tilting up as he looks down at me.

"I know the feeling."

The memories of my father storming out in anger yesterday flooded my vision and I shook my head, closing my eyes as the emotions were battling with one another inside me trying to break the surface but because of it all, my heart rate began to increase and I felt really hot, feeling light headed and finding it hard to catch my breath.

"I can't breath." I get out in a panic as I bring shaky hands up to clutch my ears.

"Hey." My father's voice is soft, the softest I have ever heard it since the day we met when I was at the tender age of sixteen.

His hands are cupping my cheeks as he looks down at me with worrying concern.

"Key, just breath." He assures me, curling a hand around the back of my neck and pushing back my wet hair.

"I-I can-"

My knees gave up on me in that moment due to exhaustion and lack of oxygen as I begin to descend down into the fountain water.

"Keylin." My father shrieks at the last second, grabbing my arm and pulling me into his chest as he followed me down to the water, clutching me close as I coughed through my constricting lungs, tears welling in my eyes.

"You're alright son." My father breaths out as he pulls me close, attempting to wrap his already soaked fur around my shivering shoulders.

"Everything's alright. Just breath ok?"

"I-It's not. E-Everything is f-falling apart..." I wheeze out as I bring my mother's necklace closer to my chest, looking down at the silver winged pendant between my bloody fingers.

"It's...m-my fault."

"What is your fault?" My father questions and I look up at him, bringing my hand up to wipe my cheeks as my heart rate begins to steadily return to its normal rate.

"Everything...Malakei...he wouldn't b-be in this mess if...if it w-wasn't for m-me."

"Malakei is a strong man now." My father assures me. "He can take care of himself. He knew what the consequences were but he is loyal to you. He would not wish you to fret over him Keylin."

I sniffle and nod before looking down at my shaking hand holding the necklace.

"Mother's necklace." I whimper out, looking up at my father in pain to see his eyes in just as much as he looks down at me.

"He gave this to a pirate as a payment for information about me and told the Gods we crossed sectors so that h-he could get m-me here." I frown up at my father in so much hurt and betrayal on my features, my father takes liberty to pull me into his chest to reassure me but everything wasn't fine.

"He bribed a pirate with something so priceless and bought me like cattle then lied to me. Lied to me this whole time. I will never forgive him. I rather spit on his grave then breath another word to him again."

"When this war is all over.." My father begins as he brushes the stray wet strands from my forehead back.

"He will not step foot near you or me again. If he even touches my Dry Lands, he will regret it. The pain and hurt that elf has caused not just you and me but your mother too was enough."

I sniffle as I bring my arms up around his shoulders, burying my face in his neck. He wraps his arms around my back and hugs me.

A silence fell over us for a short while. I didn't want to break it because it would feel as though I was breaking the moment between us and as soon as it was broken we would both go back to reality.

"You s-should go inside before you f-freeze." I state lowly making my father move back to look down at me with narrowed eyes.

"Are you still angry?"

"Yes." I grumble out making him sigh as he shifts his weight to a sitting position in the freezing water, it becoming a lot colder seeing as it was getting darker out.

"Then we must wait some more until you finally calm down and not be tempted by Dry Lander blood to rip your grandfather's head off."

I sigh at this, shifting to sit down in front of my father with my legs crossed, looking down at the red tainted water with a frown.

"You must not let yourself be so overwhelmed Keylin..." My father sighs out and I look up at him. His eyes were already looking down at me with worry.

"Your mother suffered with severe panic attacks. She would get them so awful that she would faint or black out. You remind me so much of her, you should not let things get on top of you like that."

I frown up at him, nodding my head slowly as I look down at the necklace in my hands before looking up at my father curiously.

"What was she like?"

"Your mother?" He smiles to himself at the thought of her and a small smile forms on my lips at the sight of him. He really loved her.

"Your mother was so many things. Smart, beautiful, funny...she thought me how to use a bow you know." He raises a brow at me and I blink in surprise, ears twitching.

"She did?" I question curiously and he nods with a chuckle.

"We were going to run away together. I had already spent the summer building a cabin for us near the lakes. It was a surprise for her the next time we met."

He looked down at his twiddling fingers.

"She stopped seeing me then. She never came back to our meeting place and I wondered why. I tried writing to her, even going to the thoughts of climbing the High Peaks just to see her. I thought she maybe fell out of love with me, that wasn't the case at all."

He looks up at me and I notice a glisten in his eyes as he smiled a tight lipped smile at me.

"It never occurred to me that she was baring my child, my blood. My son. When word of a prince coming of age in the elven kingdom got out. I was confused at first and angry. To think your mother had left me for someone else all this time and had bared a son. She had told me that it was just her and her father in the kingdom so I knew it wasn't a sister or brother. I couldn't let it go, something felt so wrong about the situation that I had to look into it."

He takes a breath and brushes a stray light brown hair behind my ear, it twitches under his fingers and I smile a small watery smile.

"My biggest regret..." He says hoarsely. "Is not getting to witness you say your first words, take your first steps, pick up a sword for the first time..not being there for you Keylin like I should've been." He sniffles and I swallow the lump in my throat as a tear falls from my eyes.

"But there is one thing I don't regret." He whispers before swallowing. "And that is watching you become the man that you are today. Believe me when I say that I am proud of you. I'm so proud of you Keylin."

I let out a sob as I look down while my father brings a hand up to the back of my neck, bringing me forward to place a kiss on my forehead. He lingers and I can feel a tear fall onto my forehead.

"Bashta...father I'm sorry I disappointed you. The last thing I ever wanted to do was make you unhappy or disgusted...I love you, I don't want to lose you."

"You could never disappoint me." He assures me with a tearful chuckle. "I love you."

I shake my head at this.

"I disappointed you the moment I was born because I took her away from you. I disappointed a lot of people because I took their princess away from them only to be left with a pathetic gay mix-"

"Stop." My father states croakily.

"-That nobody wanted and everyone wished were dead." I wipe my eyes furiously and turn my head to the side as I grit my teeth.

"I wonder what she would think of me now? she would be disappointed-"

My father grabs my chin and harshly tugs me to look at him. His eyes red and filled with hurt anger.

"Your mother loved you. Believe me when I say that your mother would have only wanted the best for you growing up in this world. She knew how harsh and unaccepting it was, she would have wanted you to be the best possible version of you that you could be whether that be a mix, gay and a prince. I know that she is looking down on you-as she has been doing your whole life, watching you grow from a toothless infant to the son I know capable of leading an army and putting an end to Max's plan of letting Gonora fall to its knees. That is the son she would be proud of. She would've loved you in both your weakest and strongest moments Keylin. She didn't die for nothing."

"She died because of me."

"And I know she would die again for you to live."

His words have me stunned as I look up at him.

"Don't let anyone tell you different. Your mother may have been an elf but she was far from the society of elves we have today. You are also a Dry Lander. You belong to the ruthless and most brutal of all sectors but we have hearts. We look after our own. We are a family and protect one another. I would die for you Keylin because you are my son and I love you. I know things would be different if you had lived with me this whole time but I'm not dwelling on it, I wouldn't change you for anything and I definitely wouldn't trade you for your mother. If you ever so much as think like this or speak of this again, so help me Keylin I'll..."

He trails off as he pulls me into his chest, clutching me close to him as he lets out a grumbled breath of how I was so stubborn and full of conceited thoughts. I could only smile at the warm feeling filling my chest as I brought my hands up around him and held him close.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't ever speak like that again."

"I won't, I promise you." I assure him softly before getting up and stretching from my uncomfortable position in the water. Father frowns up at me just as I hold out a hand for him.

"What are you doing?"

"I don't feel so angry anymore. I think it's time we get out of the water before we both catch our deaths."

"Have a nice swim?"

Malakei questioned half teasingly as he wrapped a large towel over my shoulders the minute I stepped out of the fountain with my father. I let out a sigh at its warmth as I send Malakei a thankful smile.

My father was next to step out and Malakei didn't waste time in handing him a towel to which my father eyed before taking it with a grunt and heading inside out of the chilly night air.

"Get some sleep, both of you." He calls over his shoulder as he makes his way into the main building.

I noticed a crowd had formed during François and I's fight in the fountain but it had greatly diminished in size over the past hour that father and I were in the fountain.

François' body was already long ago taken to a medic for inspection. I let out a sigh and a wave of regret hit me at remembering my actions. I almost killed him.

"Where's Raen?" I question croakily to Malakei who turns to me.

"Raen was the one who went to get your father. We were in the dining hall and the minute Raen mentioned that something was wrong your father started running. It was kind of cool in a completely frightening way because we were all so worried about you-"

Malakei immediately stops talking when I pull him into a hug, bringing him under my towel as I did so. It's only when he lets out a hitched breath that I widen my eyes remembering that I was soaking wet and freezing before beginning to pull away.

"Sorry, I forgot-"

Malakei places a hand around my lower back, preventing me from moving back any further and I tilt my head up slightly noticing how close our heads were. We were directly in front of each other. I could feel the heat from Malakei's breath fanning my lips as my cold breath washed over his.

For a moment I could feel my mind drifting, Malakei running his tongue over his lips and I immediately look down at the action, copying him.

Malakei suddenly turns his head to the side and moves away from me. The space now cold and empty where he once was. He clears his throat and doesn't look at me as I blink repeatedly and shake away the strange feeling that spread over me just now. Weird.

"Raen's in your room." Malakei mutters before walking passed me and into the main building.

When I finally made my way to my room I was freezing and knew I needed to take a shower before bed so I could at least wash off the bloody water that had clung to my clothes. The moment I opened the door and looked into the dimly lit room, I noticed Raen pacing in front of the bed only stopping to look up in hope. When he sees me he lets out a sigh of relief and walks over as I am closing the door, engulfing me in a hug.

"I'm wet." I mumble into his shoulder.

"I know." He mumbles into my neck making me blush as my ears twitch.

"You're wet."

"I know." He pulls back so that his face is in line with mine and he presses a kiss to my lips, lasting for a moment before I could feel him pull away. I bring my hands up to the back of his neck however and pull him back down. Our lips finding one another's again which makes him smile as he moves his cold fingers under my wet shirt. I break the kiss.

"Fuck you're cold." I whisper in shock close to his lips causing him to chuckle and press his lips to my cheek.

"Come on." He tells me as he moves back, entangling our fingers and guiding me to the bathroom.

"We need a shower."

"We?" I question blinking in curiosity as my ears twitch and turn red.

"A-At the same time or separately?"

Raen chuckles as he turns to me with a knowing glint in his eyes and I can't help the red hot flush creeping up my neck and the tips of my ears.

"I was thinking at the same time. We can talk about what happened with François."

"Oh." I can't help but sound disappointed before the nervous feeling of being enclosed in a small space with Raen invades my mind. What if he gets angry and I have no place to go?

"Sure, ok." I state as I take off my jacket and throw it on the radiator. A question coming to mind making me frown and turn to him curiously.

"Why did you get my father?"

Raen clears his throat after he takes his shoes off and turns to me with a worried frown.

"You seemed tense and I knew something was wrong. I felt as though your father would be able to help somehow and seeing as though you haven't been on speaking terms lately...I knew he would go to you if I told him you were in danger and I was right." He explains as he pulls his socks off, I do the same. Listening intently and unconsciously nodding along.

"Unfortunately he commanded that I go to my room. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you Keylin. I would've been but he ordered me."

"It's alright." I smile at him as I unbuckle my belt. "Thank you for going to him. Because of you, we may have just patched things up. He still loves me and told me that he was proud of me."

"That's great." Raen halters for a second to smile at me and I return the smile.

"So what happened?" Raen questions with a frown. "You obviously got into a fist fight with him. Your face is swollen."

"I-uh." I grimace and unconsciously bring a hand up to touch my jaw, frowning.

"It's a long story that needs a bit more time than a five minute shower." I sigh at the memories of today. Of course I would leave out the panic attack and lots of the gruesome details. For now all I can offer him is the short version and hope that will be the end of it before we step into the shower.

"My grandfather gave him my mother's necklace as a payment for giving up information about Malakei and I. I just lost it when I saw it around his neck. Those necklaces are sacred to us. Especially because it was my mother's..my father gave me his that my mother gave to him back in the Dry Lands. We give one to the person we love dear. It's a symbol of our undying love-"

I was talking whilst taking off my shirt and pants with my back to Raen out of habit, my tone light as I spoke of the precious elven necklaces. It was only when I turned around to Raen who was already down to his pants, the moment he stood back straight my words died in my throat.

He furrowed his brows at me as I looked at the silver necklace around his neck in both shock and confusion. Opening my mouth to speak before closing it shut again. I didn't know what to say.

I watch as Raen looks down at the necklace before a look of recognition crosses his features. He meets my gaze.

"You dropped it in the Dry Lands when you were being taken.." He explains as he moves closer to my quiet form. All I can do is look at him until he is in front of me, taking it off his neck and reaching down for my hand.

"I was going to give it back to you but it sort of slipped my mind. Here." He places the necklace in my hand and I look down with a frown before looking back up at him with creased brows. Shaking my head lightly at him.

"For a while, I was meaning to give it to you but I never got the chance." I chuckle sadly as Raen furrows his brows at me. Bringing a hand around the back of my neck and running his hands through my hair, I let out a sigh and look up at him.

"This belongs to you Raen." I place it back in his palm and close it, resting my hand on top of his as I smile a sad smile at him. He looks down at me with shock before adoration fills his eyes and he is putting it back around his neck before reaching down and lifting my body up.

I gasp as my arms quickly fly around his shoulders and legs wrap around his middle, he doesn't waste time in placing his hands under my thighs for support as he carries me to the shower. I let out a breathless chuckle as I move my hands up to around the back of his neck, letting my hands ruffle through his baby hairs growing at the base of his neck.

"Wait I'm not finished-" I chuckle referring to my clothes. I still had to take off my pants, I was still shamefully embarrassed around Raen when it came to that area.

Raen lets out a low rumble of laughter as he somehow managed to get the shower door open in that space of time. He looks up at me with a boyish smile and my heart skips a beat then.

"Don't worry I'll help you take them off." He winks at me. Winks.

I groan at this and let my head fall onto my arm close to his cheek as he steps into the shower that was yet to run with water.

"Please do." I moan out before biting my lip, my eyes widening in realisation that I had just said that aloud. There was an instance of silence before my back was being pushed against the cold shower wall and Raen's lips were meeting mine hungrily. His hand moving out to slam on the shower and immediately, steaming water was being sprayed on us.

Malakei's PoV

I hesitated as I brought my fist up to knock on the familiar door. Nerves and anxiety eating away at me at the thought of what I was about to do. Was I ready to do this? I knew that if I didn't get it off my chest, it would eat away at me and I would slowly turn insane. I was already being drove crazy as it was.

With a frustrated sigh, I banged on the door a little too aggressively but I didn't care. I waited in agitation, biting my nails through nerves before she answered the door. Her confused expression prominent in the dim hallway.

"Malakei?" Anya questions in confusion. Sleep evident in her voice and sounding like she had just woken up.

"What are you doing here?"

"I can't sleep." I state with a gulp, looking behind her into the lit up room in search of movement.

"Is Bow awake?" I question her worriedly.

"He's asleep." She says quietly and with a worrying frown on her face as she looks at my sweaty pale complexion. She opens the door wider for me to come in and I tug my lips up in thankfulness before stepping inside her large room.

"What's wrong Mal?" She questions with worry leaving her voice as I listen for movement around the doors of the room, making sure that they were all closed before turning to Anya.

"You need to promise me that you won't breath a word of what I'm about to tell you to Bow. Not to Tara, Mila, not to Raen and definitely not to Keylin. In fact, don't say anything to anyone. You're the only one I can turn to with this." I state seriously as I walk up to her.

Anya looks at me fearful before nodding with a tight lipped expression.

"Alright...but why? Is something wrong?"

I take a breath and point behind me to her couch, assuring her to sit down. Hoping that she understands the true meaning behind my eyes; that this was going to be a long night.

"I've never been one to beat around the bush. I've never opened up to anyone how I felt before but it's starting to become unbearable so I'm just going to come right out and say it." I speak as I clutch my knees sitting down beside Anya on the couch.

I was as white as a ghost as I looked at her but she only smiled assuringly at me, encouragingly. I knew that once this was out, there was no going back. It was real. I wasn't sure I wanted it though but I knew that if I didn't tell someone how I felt, I might as well throw myself off of the Sky Lanes and plummet to my death because that was how I felt right now and I was completely terrified.

If Bow found out.

If Tara found out.

If Raen found out.

If Keylin.... I can't lose him. I can't bear to see that smile slip from his lips. What he would think of me.

"I'm in love with Keylin."

I whisper out into the dark room. Finding it no different than the many times I had whispered it into the dark of my own room. Only this time there was someone hear. Someone who heard me for once and I don't know if I should be frightened by it.

When I turned to Anya she didn't react with disgust or outrage. She only frowned in confusion before a small sad smile forms on her lips. I could see the wheel turning in her head as she thought about the main picture before looking at me.

"You don't have to be afraid of it Malakei. It's normal to fall in love with a best friend."

"Keylin and I...we're not normal best friends that's the thing." I explain in worried frustration as I get up from her couch and stand in front of her.

"I'm not afraid to love him because he is a male either. I'm afraid of the consequences. There's too much at stake. If any of them found out...Raen could decide to never let me see him anymore or Keylin might just hate me and think I am a disgusting person-"

"Calm down Mal." She assures me getting up from the couch and resting a hand on my shoulder.

"He could never hate you. He loves you."

"He loves Raen." I mutter turning my head to the side, shoulders sagging in defeat as I swallowed the lump forming at the back of my throat.

"I'm nothing but a friend to him. My heart just won't accept it."

"How do you know he doesn't have some sort of feeling for you? I know there is something between you too. Maybe if you just asked him or discussed it with him-"

"No." I state seriously wide eyed as I begin to step back.

"I'll lose him for sure-"

"Lose who?"

My heart stops beating for a split second when we both snap our heads in the direction of the half open door to the right, a yawning Bow standing there looking at us with curiosity and confusion. I gulp and turn to Anya.

"Thanks for listening Anya." I smile at her, hoping she understands the plead in my eyes begging her not to tell him anything.

"I'll see you later."

"Mal-"

I turn to Bow who looked wide awake now as he crossed his arms over his chest and stared at me. When our eyes met after a moment, Bow let's out a sigh before kicking away from the door and coming closer to me.

"You know these walls aren't made of concrete right?" He questions lowly and I gulp. Trying to stop my hands from trembling as I take in Bow's disappointed look.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper as he moves in front of me, standing at half an arms distance. I bite my lip and look down, eyes blurring with tears.

I should've stayed in my room.

"You have nothing to be sorry for Malakei."

My eyes fly up to Bow's. Thinking that it was all a joke and that he was going to punch me but no. He was serious and I didn't know how I felt.

"Especially for loving my brother." He eyes me sadly and I frown at that.

"It's wrong." I remind them, curling my lip at the thought of myself with disgust.

"I can't love him. I just have to wait for these feelings to pass."

"If you've only just discovered your feelings, it will pass soon enough Mal. It's most likely just a crush." Anya assures me with a sad smile but I don't look up, her words only making my eyes cast to the ground sadly.

"How long?" Bow questions me worriedly and I lift my head up to look at him. I could tell he was sorry for me. We both knew that if it were just some random crush I wouldn't be coming to them.

A sad smile plays on my lips at the memories.

"There was always something there, from the first day that we met and he corrected me on the word asshole before calling me an asshole. All in all, I knew I loved him just over a year ago. The feelings have only grown for him as the days went on."

"Fucking hell Malakei." Bow mutters as he combs a hand through his hair. I sigh at this.

"I'm so sorry. I couldn't keep it in any longer. I almost kissed him today and-"

"You what?" Bow rages in worry. "Please tell me Raen was far from both of you."

I nod at him seriously making Bow sigh in relief as he moves to sit on the couch.

"As long as Raen doesn't know about you liking him, your ass is saved Malakei but you need to be more careful. You need to control your emotions. Especially now. None of them can find out" Bow warns me with a creased forehead and I nod at him seriously.

All the while Anya looks on at us in confusion.

"Keylin has a right to know how he feels though. If I were Keylin and I found out my best friend was in love with me for years and didn't approach me about it, I would be furious. I think you should tell him Mal. I'm positive there's something there, it might even be strong enough for you than it is for Raen."

"He can't know now, it's too late. He loves Raen. Besides, things would have been different if Raen hadn't taken interest in him. The minute he did, that was it for him. It's as if he had claimed Keylin as his from the start."

"You're Lucky Raen hasn't caught on yet." Bow states making me grunt in reply.

"So do you think it would be better to go to Raen and tell him how you feel instead?" Anya questions making my eyes widen.

"That would be suicide. The situation could go completely sideways. Knowing Raen's temper...he could threaten me to stay away from Keylin. Tell Keylin himself of my feelings which would be worse if Keylin took it the wrong way and decided to never speak to me again. What good would that bring? Raen would be wary whenever Keylin and I are together. I rather say nothing at all then live under the scrutiny of eyes watching my every move. Thinking I would steel him away when they are not my intentions at all."

"But you love him..." Anya frowns. "You're saying you're not even going to try?"

"I'm on a losing side Anya." I sigh out tiredly. "The last thing I want is to make Keylin confused or take away his happiness. As long as he is happy...I'll be alright. It's better if I do nothing."

"If you tell Raen..." Bow says in thought. "He could see it as an act of loyalty. That you know your feelings and you went to him about them instead of pursuing Keylin behind his back. The last thing he would want to do is cause Keylin hurt or conflict. Keylin knows where the balance for him is and it's with you on one end and Raen on the other. If one tips in the slightest Keylin falls. It may just be a thought but Raen couldn't prevent you from seeing him even if he wanted to. That's really up to Keylin and he won't tell him, so you're at a win."

"You think I'm winning?" I question him tiredly.

"I lose sleep because of him. He is the only thing that goes through my mind lately. When we were in the dungeons, they starved us. I gave him what I could whilst making sure I didn't die just so he could eat more. We say we would die for the people we love but it was only when we were out in that situation that I truly understood it's meaning. I love him so much that I would die for him. It scares the hell out of me because I've never felt this way about anyone before and the one time I actually fall in love, it's someone I can never have."

I bring my sleeve up and wipe my eyes furiously before chuckling dryly.

"Karma right? I would choose one night with him over a thousand nights with someone else. Better yet, never have sex again-"

"Stop this talk Malakei." Bow frowns as he gets up from the couch. He sighs.

"You're only hurting yourself."

"He is hurting Bow." Anya insists with a concerned look before turning to me.

"If you won't tell him yourself how you feel, it will only be worse. He will eventually find out Mal. I just hope that you are prepared to lose him when the time comes."

"I could never be prepared for something like that but...if it's what he wants."

Anya shakes her head in frustration as she wipes at her eyes.

"You Dry Landers are idiots when it comes to your fucking rules. Gonora is crumbling at our feet but you would still obey a rule made by superiors centuries ago, even die for it."

"At least I would die a man." I state sadly.

"You would die a coward full of regret and despair. I don't mean to be disrespectful but my views won't change on the matter."

I turn to her and nod in understanding. I knew she could never see our views. The rules were put in place for a reason but no matter what other sectors think of us, it is the only thing we take seriously and swear by. It is the only pure thing about us.

"I'm sorry I have caused you both trouble." I clear my throat as I shift my gaze to the ground. Knowing that I have overstayed my welcome.

"I'll see myself out but please keep this between us." I remind them with a small tug of the lips. It was gone the minute I turned around and headed towards the door.

"If worst comes to worst Mal..." Bow begins. His tone already regretful as I touch the door.

"I have to side with my brother. I'm sorry."

"I understand Bow." I turn back one last time to look at them.

"Thank you for listening to me for what it was worth, it felt good to get it off my chest."

With that I return to my room. Walking down the dark hallway with only my footsteps echoing around me as a comfort, I couldn't help but think that I should've stayed in my room.

**

I blacked out for the first time today😣 my vision went and when I woke up I was on the floor. I banged my head too because I have a horrible migraine now. Life is great 😅

But guys seriously, tea was spilled in this chapter and so many secrets were revealed. Almost 10k words!!!

I'm on Christmas break now whoop!! That means I will be focusing a bit more on this book and getting updates out. It's almost Christmas and I'm so excited!

Also, almost 10000 words👀 you guys got FED.

I hope you liked the chapter and don't forget to leave your thoughts, I'm doing to know what you think!

Emma x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.9K 4.9K 31
When an asteroid nearly misses Earth, a stange pod lands amongst the debris. It ends up in the new city museum as an attraction. This thing throws th...
61.4K 4K 41
I was reincarnated into a harem game as a villan. Please stay away I'm Gay book 3
351 18 4
Book 6 of The Sector Series
78.4K 2.6K 11
A short Forth Beam story