The Bastards of Winterfell (A...

By piewoman101500

Note: The first three-four chapters are very rough, but it does get better as it goes on. Ned Stark rode ho... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Fifteen

2.8K 60 4
By piewoman101500

No One's POV

The fortnight went by faster than anyone had thought it would. Before the inhabitants of Winterfell knew it, the day of Benjen Stark's arrival came.

Within that fortnight, the relationship between Sansa and Raven grew more and more strained, some would even call it non-existent. The younger girl seemed to go out of her way to avoid her older half-sister, usually sticking as close to her mother as she could. Jon tried to assure his twin things would go back to normal, but she was having none of it. She was angry about the whole thing, and she used that anger in her sword training. For the first few days, this use of her anger resulted in countless bruises ending up on Jon, Robb, and Theon. Despite her anger, she always felt bad and apologized for hurting the three.

The only good thing to come out of everything is Raven spending more time with Arya. The two were already close, but now they were almost joined at the hip. She wasn't just spending more time with Arya, but with Bran as well. If everyone else was busy, Lord Stark would leave orders for his eldest daughter to watch over his two youngest children, usually without Catelyn's knowledge. Things seemed to be looking up for the young Snow.

________________________________________________________________________________

Benjen's arrival was a big deal in Winterfell, it had been about four years since his last visit. Many in the castle have missed Lord Stark's younger brother, no one more than Lord Stark himself, of course. 

The Lord of Winterfell gathered his whole family in the courtyard, standing shoulder to shoulder in a row beside himself and Lady Catelyn. In order, the kids stood: Robb, Jon, Raven, Sansa, and Arya, with Bran being held in Catelyn's arms, and Theon standing behind Robb.

Benjen rode through the front gates on a dark brown mare, smiling when he saw his family. "Ah Ned, it's been too long." He states while dismounting.

"Aye, it has." he returns his brother's smile. Benjen walks up to his elder brother, the two men embrace warmly. As the two pull away, Benjen turns towards Catelyn, "Cat, as beautiful as ever." He places a soft kiss on her cheek, his eyes then finding Bran, "Who might this little one be?" The small boy turns his head shyly into his mother's neck.

Catelyn smile a bit sadly, "HIs name is Brandon."

Benjen nods, "A strong name for a strong boy." He moves back down the line, "Robb, Jon" he claps a hand on each of their shoulders, "you've grown so much! I can't believe you're little men now." His eyes find Raven's,  "You are looking more beautiful every day, so much like your aunt Lyanna." He pulls the three into a tight hug. Letting go, he continues to the rest of the family. "Sansa, a pure Tully." The small girl curtsies, he smiles placing a kiss on the knuckles of her outstretched hand. Finally, he gets to Arya, "Hhm, this one's new as well. Based on looks, you're truly a Stark. Tell me, child, what is your name?"

She smiles shyly, "Arya."

"Nice to meet you, Arya." The small girl giggles as he pokes her sides. Benjen rises from the ground, "Really Ned, you shouldn't have had everyone drop what they were doing to greet me."

"Trust me, brother, they did it all on their own." He takes a look around the courtyard. "We've all missed you, brother."

"And I you, brother." He then speaks to the rest of the courtyard, "All of you, back to what you're supposed to be doing. No need to get behind on work because of me."

Sir Roderick speaks up, "Aye, sounds good to me. Robb, Jon, Theon, Raven pick up a practice sword and a shield, meet in the center of the yard. I'll pair you off once everyone has cleared the area."

The four do as they are told, as well as everyone else in the courtyard. "Roderick, mind if I sit in and watch?" Benjen asks the elder man.

"Aye, of course, Benjen." He turns to the kids, "As for you four, Robb you're with Theon, leaving Raven to be with Jon."

Raven smirks at her brother, "And you know the rule, brother."

"What rule?" Benjen asks 

All three boys spoke at once, each of them rolling their eyes as they do so, "No going easy on, Raven."

Benjen smiles at his niece, "Seems you've got these boys whipped into shape."

"That I do, uncle."

"Enough talking, more fighting." Sir Roderick bellows. Each pair starts to circle up, swords and shields raised.

________________________________________________________________________________

Raven's POV

Jon and I quickly fell into a pattern of hits and deflections. Swing, clash, deflect. Swing, clash, deflect. Until Jon decided to switch it upon me. Swing, clash, swing, clash, swing, STRIKE. He struck my shield, and to the I went. Without thinking, I jump back to my feet . Barely giving Jon enough time to respond, I hit his side with the flast side of my practice sword. He hits the ground with a grunt.

Uncle Benjen laughs from the sidelines. "Better keep your shield up or you'll get you head rung like a bell."

"Nicely struck, Raven." Sir Roderick praises

I hold my hand out to help Jon get off the ground. He takes it, groaning as he stands up, "You okay, brother?" I ask, suddenly worried that I had hurt him.

"Just a bit bruised, Rave. I'll be fine." Practice continued for another hour or so. By the time it was done, all four of us were covered in mud.

"Go get yourselves cleaned up, and go about your days." We all just splash our faces with water and go about our days. I make my way over to where Maester Ludwin is holding lessons for Arya and Sansa because I forgot a book there earlier in the day. Us older kids already had our lessons for the day, just before Uncle Benjen arrived.

"Raven, just the girl I was hoping to see." The old man smiles at me.

I return his smile, "What can I do for you, Maester Ludwin?"

"First, you left this here." He hands me the book I left. "Second, would you be so kind as to help Arya with her letters. Sansa seems to need more help than expected with her sums."

"I would be happy to help, Maester." He goes back to helping Sansa with her work, as I moved to help Arya with hers. I pulled her onto my lap, giving both of us a better look at the parchment. 

After some time working on the lessons, Maester Ludwin speaks up "I think that's enough for today girls. Go on with your days."

Sansa looks to the old man, "Where's mama?"

"I wouldn't know exactly where, little one. Maybe Raven could help you find her."

I nod, "I would be happy to." I stand from the bench, with Arya in my arms.

Sansa shakes her head, "I can do it myself."

"Are you sure, Red?" By this point, the maester has walked away.

"I'm sure. I have no need for a bastards help." She recites as if she has been coached, she walks away with her nose in the air.

Sighing I look to Arya, "At least I have you, pup." making her giggle as I poke her nose. I start walking around the courtyard for I don't know how long, thinking about the state of things when I hear someone clear their throat behind me.

"Hello, Raven." It was Uncle Benjen

"Afternoon, uncle."

"Could I speak with you for a moment?"

"Of course." The three of us walk into the Great Hall, taking a seat at one of the tables. "What did you need to speak to me about?" I set Arya on the floor with one of her toys.

"I heard what Sansa said to you, don't try to deny it I went and spoke to Jon and Robb. They told me what happened with Catelyn. She had no right speaking to you that way."

"It's fine, uncle."

"Nothing about this is okay, Raven."

"She said what she had to say, and now she ignores me as much as she possibly can. As long as that continues, everything is great."

"What about Sansa?'

"She's just like her mother."

"From what I heard you two were becoming close."

"We were, but that's gone now. Lady Stark made sure of it."

"I have half a mind to speak to your father about this."

"No! Don't tell father, he doesn't need to know. He has enough to worry about as is."

"He has a right to know what is happening with his family."

"He does, but not with this. I can handle it, uncle. Don't worry."

He sighs, "Fine. I'll let this go but if she pulls something like that again, don't hesitate to tell your father or send a raven to Castle Black. I'll ride straight down here, and set that woman straight."

I smile widely, "Of course, uncle." He pulls me into a hug, "Thank you."

Arya stands from her spot on the floor and walks over to the two of us, toy in hand. "Raven, play with me."

I take the toy and pick her up once again, "Of course, pup." I look back to Uncle Benjen, "Looks like duty calls, uncle."

"Don't let me stop you. Have fun."

I smirk at Arya, "We always do."

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N

Fun Fact:

That part about Sansa struggling with math (sums) is straight out of the first book in the series (pg. 549 to be exact)

Also a speacial thanks to everyone who votes and comments, it means a lot. Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.6K 1.7K 51
Starts as a Robb Stark x Reader Chapter Series. The reader is a young northern lady from a small house, about as far north in Westeros as you can get...
8.8K 339 14
𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐈𝐂𝐄 ❝ 𝙞 𝙖𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙗𝙤𝙬 𝙩𝙤 𝙢𝙚! ❞ IN WHICH; Robert Baratheon's daughter gets...
81.2K 1.7K 13
"Don't worry, I will leave you all at your peace" "I would never let you leave me so easily. I need you to understand this!" This story takes place b...
35.6K 692 26
"winter is here." Jon Snow is king in the North. Evelyn convinces him it would be a good idea to ally with the Mother of Dragons from Dragonsto...