The Road to Nowhere

By hmf045

Highest Ranking: #101 in Horror - (10/3/17) Have you ever seen a rotting corpse's head being bashed in? Well... More

Chapter 1: Adrenaline
Chapter 2: James
Chapter 3: Bite
Chapter 4: Mom
Chapter 5: Cameron
Chapter 6: Home
Chapter 7: Cake
Chapter 8: Hospital
Chapter 9: Awake
Chapter 10: Naked
Chapter 11: Saving Summer
Chapter 12: Cut
Chapter 13: Run
Chapter 14: Flicker
Chapter 15: Search
Chapter 16: Together
Chapter 17: Military
Chapter 18: Waiting
Chapter 19: Compound
Chapter 20: Garage
Chapter 21: Hidden
Chapter 22: Lab
Chapter 23: Experiments
Chapter 24: Escape
Chapter 25: Dawn
Chapter 26: Tension
Chapter 27: Incubus
Chapter 28: Barrage
Chapter 29: Dejection
Chapter 30: Dislocation
Chapter 31: Bygone
Chapter 32: Forage
Chapter 33: Detached
Chapter 34: Resistance
Chapter 35: Unearth
Chapter 36: Affliction
Chapter 37: Isolated
Chapter 38: Backbone
Chapter 39: Regret
Chapter 40: Brash
Chapter 41: Impact
Chapter 42: Stuck
Chapter 43: Catch
Chapter 44: Connections
Chapter 45: Chores
Chapter 46: Paranoia
Chapter 47: Suspicion
Chapter 48: Mole
Chapter 49: Realization
Chapter 51: Diagnostic
Chapter 52: Vague
Chapter 53: Scheme
Chapter 54: Stakeout
Chapter 55: Bond
Chapter 56: Taken
Chapter 57: Interrogation
Chapter 58: Excused
Chapter 59: Decision
Chapter 60: Running
Chapter 61: Impatience
Chapter 62: Betray
Chapter 63: Perversion
Chapter 64: Judgment
Chapter 65: Arrival
Chapter 66: Plan
Chapter 67: Damned
Chapter 68: Sacrifice
Chapter 69: Cost
Chapter 70: Intimidate
Chapter 71: Grief
Chapter 72: Special
Chapter 73: Trial
Chapter 74: Wandering
Chapter 75: Desert
Chapter 76: Home
Dedication and Author's Note

Chapter 50: Alteration

88 12 0
By hmf045

Chapter 50

My heart jumps up into my throat. I'm frozen, and staring at Naomi's back. She's standing about ten feet in front of me. Her long black hair is tangled, and falls just above her hips. A bag sits in the dirt next to her feet, and her body moves back and fourth ever so slightly. The small amount of moonlight that's cascading onto her hair causes it to have a blue hue. The dark tank top and jeans she's wearing almost blends her into the surroundings. The moon is the only thing letting me see her. Which is a good thing. I have the upper hand.

"Naomi?" I call out.

Startled, she turns around. Even with the blue hue on her skin I can tell that her face is flustered.

That's not the thing that catches my eye though. Her hand is tangled in someone's hair. Hiding behind her is a guy. He's very pale, and dressed in a green jacket with a bunch of zippers. I can tell because the metal catches the moonlight just right to make them shine a little. I'm assuming he's the same guy I saw her meeting with by the tree.

One of his hands is still wrapped tightly around Naomi's hip. The other lightly caressing the side of her face. But he's not shocked from my intrusion at all, he has big fat grin on his face.

"Are you following me!" Naomi yells and steps away from him.

My face turns red instantly. I can feel the warmth of the blood rushing to my cheeks. I'm more embarrassed about walking up on them than Naomi yelling at me.

"Uh... no." I gulp.

"What are you doing here then!" She yells and breaks all physical contact with the guy, leaving him standing alone and disappointed. She stomps her way across the small space of dirt in-between us.

She's out of breath, and her lips have a cherry tint to them, like they're almost rubbed raw. Her hair is frizzy, some of the black strands falling onto her face. Her hair doesn't hide the fact that her face is as red as mine. The look in her eyes is anger, mixed with a bit of embarrassment.

I mean, I would too if someone caught me making out with a guy. I had no idea Naomi was seeing someone. Who is this dude?

"I... just heard something and thought I should take a look just in case. It could of been an infected and the last thing I want is for someone to get bit and then the whole village would get-"

"Just shut up." She brings her hands up to my shoulders and pushes them with enough force to send me falling onto my butt.

My tailbone stings, the shock sending tingling down my legs. The force of my fall causes the air to leave my lungs for a quick second. The surprise of the unexpected push jumbles my brain, causing me to question if my choice to confront Naomi was a good idea.

"Naomi!" The guy forcefully whispers and walks up next to her. "Don't hurt her." His voice is wavy and hesitant. He's probably afraid of being heard, since it's after curfew.

"Why not? She was spying on us Darren!" Naomi seems to not care about how loud she is, or if anyone else is worried about being found hiding out here.

Darren. Finally I have a name for this guy.

"Shhh!" He puts his finger against her mouth, but it's just moved away a second later.

"Don't shush me! Do you have any idea what will happen if she doesn't keep her mouth shut?" She points her finger in his face.

"Yes but-"

"No I don't think you understand! We have to keep her quiet! My father would freak if he knew we were still together."

"I know but-"

"You're not listening to me!" Naomi finally quiets her voice. "What do we do?"

"You know you could ask her to not say anything to anyone." He says with a roll of his eyes.

Naomi lets out a breath, turns around and grabs my wrist. She pulls me up off the ground harshly and pushes me backwards. I stumble to try to keep my balance. But before I can react, I'm staring down the barrel of a gun.

"Don't tell anyone." She demands, clicking a bullet into the chamber. The sound sends my hands up to my face in surrender.

"That's not what I meant." Darren scoffs behind her.

"Tell what exactly?" I arch an eyebrow. Here's my chance to get them to admit to the murder. Maybe I can stop them hurting anyone else and show Jaw my evidence. Well, if I get out of this alive.

"That you saw us here." Naomi pushes the gun closer to my chest.

"What's so wrong about me-" I start but stop when the cold metal touches my skin.

"Just don't tell anyone." Behind her face of anger I can see a glimpse of worry. It almost makes me feel bad for her. But than I remember she's a murderer.

The only thing I can do is nod my head. After I do, Naomi lowers her gun back into her holster. She turns around, grabs the bag off of the ground, and proceeds to walk into the corn but she stops when she hears the stupidity come out of my mouth.

"I know you did it."

She takes a moment for the sentence to set in, then turns around with a straight face. "What are you talking about?"

"I know you killed Cathy." The air in my throat sharpens as my nervous words leave my lips.

Naomi's face turns in confusion. "What the fuck are you talking about, I didn't kill her. You think I'm a murderer?" She laughs sarcastically.

Uh, yeah? You're a sarcastic bitch that has anger issues. Of course, I would never tell that to her face, I think. Two can play at this game.

Okay Summer, don't look like wimp.

"Yes I do. Admit it, or I'll tell Jaw I saw you guys."

"You're fucking crazy." She says as she swings the bag onto her shoulder. "Don't you dare accuse me."

"Why were you at the washing hole so early the morning of the murder?"

I step closer to try and act tough, but I don't know if it's working. I know that on the inside I'm a nervous wreck. I hope I'm hiding it well. I have an excuse to be nervous. Only stupid people accuse murders to murderer's faces, and it looks like I'm as stupid as it gets.

"I took my father's clothes there for you dumbass." She rolls her eyes. "Come on Darren-" She waves at him to follow her but is cut off before she finishes her sentence.

"Then why did you look so suspicious when Jaw was talking to the crowd?" I put up my hand to stop Darren from following her. He moves backward at my gesture with a small smirk on his lips. His shoulders sway back and forth like he has some sort of superiority over me.

I can tell Naomi strains for an answer. "I didn't look suspicious. I don't know what you're talking about." She huffs. "Maybe I was just annoyed of you staring at me. You can be really annoying Summer."

"Cut the crap." I close the space between us. "I heard you talking to your dumb lover boy in the corn field. I heard everything." I jam my finger against her chest.

She grabs it as pushes it away. "Watch it blondie, I really don't want to beat someone's ass tonight."

"Stop." I hear from Darren behind me. He walks up to us and pushes Naomi's shoulder back slightly. "Summer is it?"

I look him up and down, giving him a confused eye. The small strands of chocolate hair lay against his sweaty forehead, which grosses me out a little. "Yes."

His smile peeks through his lips, showing off his crooked teeth. "I know I haven't made the proper introduction yet but I'm Darren, Naomi's boyfriend. And we've been keeping our relationship a secret. That's why we've been so secretive." The smile doesn't fade, but rather turn into a smirk. Is he toying with me to get his way?

"Why?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Let's just say Jaw's a little... picky with who Naomi dates." He puts his arm around Naomi.

Naomi gives him a look of annoyance. "It's because he's racist."

Racist? What?

"It's because I'm not native and I'm white." Darren adds with a laugh. "I know, stupid right?"

"I don't believe you."

"About Jaw or that were not the murderers?" Naomi says sarcastically.

"Both."

Darren sighs. "When Jaw found out about us the first time, he gave us a warning. The second time, he made Naomi leave Moen."

"Why didn't he make you leave?" I ask.

"Because he needs me. I'm his right hand man. I help him with many things here that he couldn't do alone, I'm higher up in the hierarchy than others."

"But Naomi is his daughter, why would he make her leave instead of you?"

"He's an asshole." Naomi cuts in. "He has a grudge on me, plus he was trying to punish me."

"Why?"

"It doesn't matter." She sighs. "But that's why we've kept our relationship secret."

"Is that the reason why your disappearing everyday and making me do your chores? So you can go meet up with Darren?" I ask.

Naomi nods her head. "Not every time because Darren's usually out hunting but yeah."

"Oh."

Well I feel dumb. I can't believe I've accused them of murder. Did I really stoop that low? Or maybe I have a reason to be suspicious. I don't know. I'm confused.

"Back by the tree, you said that the people of Moen would go crazy if they found out about what you're hiding. Why would they freak it about your relationship?" I say trying to piece everything together.

"My father made it clear to everyone that Darren was off limits, because he doesn't want his 'employees' dating his daughter. Which is a lie. He told everyone that if they were to tell him any information on us being together, he would reward them. Whenever something like that happens, everyone freaks out and gets into other people's business."

"Oh... That's shitty." I glance down at my feet to hide a little of my sympathy.

I don't know if I completely trust her, but she's answered all my questions with justifiable reasons. Should I trust her? And if Naomi and Darren really didn't kill Cathy, then who did?

I knew it. I'm getting into things I shouldn't. Just like I always do. Come on Summer, just get through the time you have to be here to help Robbie and then leave, and never come back. There's murders here? Not my problem, I'm leaving soon.

Naomi gently kicks the dirt on the ground with her boot, causing me to notice the awkward silence that's been present the last minute and a half. And I know Naomi senses it too because her condescending, egotistical personality comes back out. She's probably pissed that I accused her of murder. I mean I would be too.

"I have no idea why you were questioning us about the murder, because I think you should be the one getting interrogated." Naomi scoffs.

"What! Why?"

"You were the one alone before the body was found. Literally minutes before. I have no idea how you didn't see anything." Naomi smirks.

I totally forgot about that...

"Yeah..." I try to hide my guilt but the second I feel it showing through is the second Naomi sees it.

"You did see he body didn't you!" She yells.

"Shhhhh!" Darren taps her on the arm.

"Yeah I did. I didn't know what to do so I panicked and acted like I didn't see it." I confess.

"Or you killed her and are trying to cover it up." Naomi raises an eyebrow.

"No. Absolutely not. Why in the hell would I tell you I saw the body if I murdered Cathy? That's basically turning myself in."

"Naomi, she's right." Darren cuts in.

"Well then, there's only one other person it could be." Naomi sighs.

There's another suspect?

"Who?" I ask.

"Your sister."

Why in the hell would she bring up Brianna? Is she trying to just piss me off or is she serious?

"I saw her the night before the murder. She was out after curfew, sneaking around." She adds.

"Bull shit." I start to laugh.

Darren clears his throat. "She's not lying. I saw her too. We met up that night to see each other, it's just easier to stay hidden from the villagers after curfew. We both saw her, by the infirmary. We thought it was weird but didn't think anything of it because she was so young, and was probably just playing around. Plus we had other things to do then worry about a child." He smiles at Naomi.

"There's no way. No fucking way."

"She's the only person is could be Summer." Naomi says.

"I don't believe you. I'm going to go and ask her." I say and start to walk away, but I'm grabbed by the wrist by Naomi.

"No you can't." She says.

"Why?"

"Because she'll tell about Darren and I."

I roll my eyes. "Look, Brianna and I won't tell about your stupid Romeo and Juliet relationship okay. I need to talk to my sister. Now." I say and rip my arm out of her hand.

I run through the corn. My heart's beating faster than my legs are carrying me. I was right, the murder is targeting the infirmary. Well if Brianna has something do to with Cathy's death then I'm right. Why was she out passed curfew? How did I not hear her get up in the middle of the night? It doesn't make sense. I know she doesn't remember who she is, or anything before getting kidnapped, but why would she do something so secretive? What is she up to? Is she a different person?

I have so many questions, but all I can focus on is that my eyes are starting to water. Why? Because deep down I know that there's a small chance that Brianna could be hurting people.

What those assholes did to her at the compound could have very well ruined her innocence, and possibly everything about her. I don't even know if that's my sister anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

442K 22.6K 56
It starts with a simple itch, nothing more. Maybe a few random spasms or the occasional shudder but you'll think nothing of it. Then you'll get blood...
289 24 19
A virus that turns everyone into zombies, has broken out. No one is sure how it started, not yet at least. A group of friends that are living togethe...
487K 10.9K 29
WHEN WE RISE, THEY WILL FALL. When the infection began, the infected were human kind's biggest enemy. Now, their biggest enemy is human kind themsel...
180K 16.3K 20
[New Adult Zombie Apocalypse Romance] "It's the second of January and students are racing back to campus early to make an appearance at the biggest r...