The Cell Phone Swap

By DoNotMicrowave

Keeley accidentally swaps cell phones with a rivaling high school's star quarterback. Unable to switch back u... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 iLost My Phone
Chapter 2 iWish I Never Picked Up
Chapter 3 iThink I'm in Hell
Chapter 4 iAm Going To Kill Him
Chapter 5 iHave a Plan
Chapter 6 iAm So Frustrated
Chapter 7 iBelieve He's a Dog
Chapter 8 iHave a Bad Feeling
Chapter 9 iCall a Truce
Chapter 10 iThink The Apocalypse Is Here
Chapter 11 iNeed To Apologize
Chapter 12 iAm So Confused
Chapter 13 iDon't Understand
Chapter 14 iHave the Chicken Flu
Chapter 15 iMay Have Overreacted
Chapter 16 iDream of Zombies
Chapter 17 iHurt
Chapter 18 iLike Him
Chapter 19 iAm a Fool
Chapter 20 iCan't Forgive and Forget
Chapter 21 iAm Being Wooed
Chapter 22 iWas Branded
Chapter 23 iTrust Him
Chapter 24 iDread Family Game Night
Chapter 26 iFinally Get Answers
Chapter 27 iAm Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Chapter 28 iWon't Take the Bait
Chapter 29 iCall Foul
Chapter 30 iHave a True Best Friend
Chapter 31 iAm Willing To Fight
Chapter 32 iSay Goodbye
Chapter 33 iMiss Those Days
Chapter 34 iReevaluate the Situation
Chapter 35 iDie of Embarrassment
Chapter 36 iWasn't Expecting You
Chapter 37 iLost Him
Chapter 38 iAm In Shock
Chapter 39 iWill Show Him
Chapter 40 iTake the Leap
Chapter 41 iAm Caught
Epilogue iAm Happy
Bonus: The Cell Phone Swap-Alternate Reality
Dear Santa
Getting Published!
Reading and Illustration Videos
Interview Videos with FanLaLa
Tap TCPS Stories

Chapter 25 iNeed To Talk

2M 66.8K 27.7K
By DoNotMicrowave

"You okay?" A hand squeezed hers under the table. "You've been quiet."

Keeley could only nod in response. Ever since the incident outside, her mouth had been as dry as the Sahara. She swallowed, trying to regain some moisture but it didn't help. The only thing that would sate her mouth would be answers and to get those she would have to ask questions. Questions she wasn't sure she wanted to ask.

Talon's brows pulled together. He leaned in and whispered, "What's wrong?"

She cast a sideways glance to her family, but they were too absorbed in the game to notice the interaction. "Uh," she wet her lips, "just tired I guess."

Unconvinced, his eyes narrowed. They searched hers, probing for the truth. Her heart clenched at the invasion. She wanted to pull back, not allow him access, but she remained still. If she averted her eyes now he would know something was wrong.

"I'm fine," she said, forcing her lips to curve into a smile. "I didn't get much sleep last night and it's finally catching up with me." The tightness in her chest eased a little as he nodded and looked away.

For the rest of the night, Keeley made a distinct effort to act normal. She laughed, teased and joked but inside she was reeling. One word kept repeating over and over in her mind—Claire. Who was this mystery girl? Neither Talon nor Zach had ever mentioned the name, at least not to her, but it was clear she had something to do with their grudge. What could have possibly happened between them?

Occasionally, she would catch Talon sending her a suspicious glance but she brushed it off, pretending nothing was wrong. She could tell he didn't buy it though. His forehead creased as he stared at her, looking as if she was a complex puzzle he couldn't quite figure out.

By the time they finished the game Keeley was emotionally drained. She nearly shouted "Halleluiah" when her mom won. Quickly, she packed Risk away, hustling everyone along. She needed time to think, time to process and she couldn't do that with him nearby. 

"Thank you for having me, Mr. and Mrs. Brewer," Talon said, walking to the entryway.

Her mom smiled and opened the door. "You're always welcome here."

"I wouldn't go that far," Zach muttered under his breath as he passed by.

Keeley turned to Talon, intent on giving him a goodbye hug but the frown on his face stopped her.

"Walk me to my car?" he asked.

She glanced at her father who nodded his approval. It was quiet as they strolled down the driveway, dark silence blanketing the world around them. They didn't speak till they arrived at Talon's truck.

Face stern, he folded his arms and leaned against the side. "All right, what's going on? You've been acting weird all night."

Anxiety shot through her bloodstream making her heart hammer in her chest. "I don't know what you mean."

"Bullcrap. You weren't even going to come outside with me. Why don't you want to be alone with me? You were fine a couple of hours ago."

Trapped, she forced out a snide remark. "I didn't know you needed a babysitter to walk you to your car."

The darkness couldn't disguise the flicker of hurt that flashed in his eyes. He quickly masked it, donning his trademark smirk. "Baby doll, I don't need anything from anyone."

The rebuke stung. Mentally, she knew he didn't need her, but she wanted him to. She wanted him to need her as much as she needed him. That's what scared her so much. What if this Claire person meant more to him than she did? What if she was just a stand in for this girl?

Silently, she watched as he opened his door and slid in. When he turned on his ignition without a look or word to her, she knew he was going to drive off before they could hash things out.

"Talon," she said, her hand latching onto the doorframe. "Wait."

His shoulders tensed at the sound of her voice. For a second, she was afraid he would ignore her but after a few breathless moments he shut off the car. Dark blonde lashes lifted as cobalt eyes locked onto hers.

"What?" he asked, sounding impatient. 

Suddenly nervous, she looked past him to the passenger seat. How did she explain that she overheard his conversation and was feeling insecure? She didn't want to be that girl, the one who always needed validation.

"Is this because of the football game Friday night?" Her eyes shot to his. He motioned to the passenger seat where a green and gold Crosswell football jersey lay. "I know I asked you to wear my jersey but if it's making you this uncomfortable you don't have to."

Temptation beckoned her. It would be so simple to say yes and take the easy way out. Talon would be happy and she wouldn't have to explain but would it really accomplish anything in the long run?  

No.   

Taking a deep breath, she gathered her courage and asked, "Who is—"

A loud ringing interrupted her question.

"Damn," Talon said, pulling out his phone. "It's my dad. I have to take this." He held the phone up to his ear, a small grimace on his face. The volume was loud enough for her to overhear the conversation.

"Do you know what time it is? You were supposed to be home by nine," a commanding voice said over the phone.

"Dad—"

"The game is in three days and you're off gallivanting with that girl when you should be at home resting."

Talon's shoulders hunched over the wheel, his voice hushed but urgent. "I wasn't doing anything wrong. I was just meeting her parents."

"So you mentioned before you stormed out of the house while I was talking."

"That wasn't talking, that was lecturing. And I don't see what the big deal is. We're dating."

"This is no time for girls, son. You can have all the girls you want after the season is over, but right now, your mind needs to be on football." 

Talon blew out a frustrated breath. He twisted his body, shifting away from her. "Dad, I'll be home in fifteen minutes. We can talk about it then." He ended the call and gave her a smile but she could see the anger swirling beneath. "Sorry. My dad tends to go overboard during football season."

"Is he always like that?" She knew his dad was tough on him but not to the point of dictating his social life.

"It's nothing personal to you. He just doesn't approve of any distractions...especially before a big game like Friday."

"Why didn't you tell me?" They talked for hours and not once did he ever mention that his dad wanted him to stop seeing her.

He shrugged and looked away. "Didn't want to worry you."

"Talon," she whispered, a wealth of emotion radiating from her voice. "I don't want to get you in trouble."   

His head reared back. "You're not trouble, baby doll. Trust me, I've been in trouble." He leaned forward and opened the glove compartment. "If you won't wear my jersey and sit on my side, will you at least wear my class ring?"

He held out a square gold ring with a dark green emerald embedded in the middle. Crosswell High School was printed around the gem in big block letters. A football was etched on one side while his name, JT Harrington, was etched on the other.

Without thinking, her hands reached out to grab it. He was offering her a precious gift and she couldn't refuse. The ring was heavier than she imagined. The weight reminding her of the strain their relationship was currently under. She bit the inside of her cheek. Should she bring up Claire? Was she ready to hear the truth?

"I better go. It takes at least twenty minutes to get from here to my house."

Chickening out, she nodded. With his ring securely clenched in her palm, she leaned down and kissed him. "Drive safely."

His lips parted in surprise and then spread into a large smile. Seeing him smile at her did something funny to her chest.

"What?" she asked suspiciously, ignoring the warmth that spread through her. It wasn't as if she declared her undying love.

Half expecting a flippant answer, she was surprised when he said, "I like that you care."

Perplexed, she cocked her head to the side but he didn't elaborate. He kissed her one more time before reaching for his keys and starting the truck.

"I'll call you later," he said as he drove away.

She clutched his ring to her chest. The boy was...unpredictable. Just when she thought she had him all figured out, he threw her a curve ball. Tonight he might have looked at her like she was a puzzle, but in reality he was the enigma. Maybe she should have been frightened by the fact, but she wasn't. She enjoyed being surprised by him. He was a challenge she thoroughly enjoyed.

***

The next two days were a blur. Keeley worked nonstop, heading straight to The Shack after school let out. It wouldn't have been so bad if her co-worker had bothered to show up. Van had disappeared from the face of the Earth. She called and left numerous voicemails but he never picked up. His behavior frustrated her to no end. He was a grown man for God's sake!

Desperately needing help, she called Shawn but he was out of town and Nicky was busy taking her after school college class. Forced to handle everything, she worked double time, dashing to and fro. By Friday, she was exhausted. Collapsing next to Nicky, she jetted out a breath and let her head fall on her shoulders.

"Rough day?"

"Rough week."

A loud cheer went up in the school gymnasium as the cheerleaders entered. They took their places just as music started blasting over the loudspeakers. The whole school watched as they tumbled and danced to the beat.

"I hate pep rallies," Nicky commented as she leaned forward and rested her chin on her hand. Before each football game the school held a pep rally to support the team and boost school spirit. Usually they had games and skits with prizes.

"You're just jealous of the cheerleaders."

"I don't see why I didn't make the team." Nicky tried out for the squad their freshman year but hadn't made the cut. "I'm peppy and loud."

Keeley raised on eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure it's because you can't even do a cartwheel."

"I can cartwheel!"

"You fell mid-air and landed on your butt."

Nicky wrinkled her nose. "I could have improved. They didn't give me a fair chance."

Knowing how Nicky could go on for hours about the topic, she thought it prudent to just sit and nod her head. "Of course you could. You would have been the best cheerleader out there."

"Now you're just being condescending." They watched as a girl was hurled into the air, completing multiple flips before being caught in the arms of her teammates. Nicky sighed. "Fine," she acquiesced. "I could never have been a cheerleader, but I would been the cutest one if I had any talent."

The music stopped and the cheerleaders left the floor as the football players came out. One by one the school principal introduced them.

"And finally number two, Zachary Brewer!"

The school erupted into thunderous applause. Everyone loved Zach, even the teachers. While other players may have used football as an excuse to slide on their schoolwork, Zach always completed his. The teachers viewed him as a role model and often compared other players to him. Keeley thought his teammates would resent him, but they didn't. That was what made Zach such a great leader. His charisma drew people to him, inspiring loyalty and devotion.

As per their ritual, Keeley stood up and clapped, shouting her brother's name. He scanned the stands, searching for her. When he spotted her, he pounded his chest —the spot right over his heart—and pointed. She did the same and pointed back. They'd been performing that custom since they were children.

It all started before Zach's first game as quarterback. He'd been nervous; scared he'd mess up. Seeing her twin's panic, she pulled him aside. She told him that no matter what happened during the game, she'd always be proud of him. As he walked out onto the field, he hit his chest and then pointed to her. Message received. They'd been doing it ever since.

As the principal droned on about beating Crosswell, Keeley zoned out. Absently, she toyed with the delicate chain around her neck that held Talon's class ring. It had been too big for her fingers so she put it on a gold necklace. It had been awkward at first, the heavy ring pulling at her neck but gradually she got used to it, even liked it. It was a constant reminder of the boy who owned her heart.  

"We need ten volunteers," the principal announced. Cheerleaders searched the crowds, pulling people from the gym bleachers.

Amy, a sweet brown-haired cheerleader, approached them. "Come on, Keeley."

"No." She put her hands up. "Absolutely not. You are not getting me down there." At the last school assembly, they played a game involving a baby bottle and blue Kool-Aid. One kid had spilled it all over his white shirt. For the rest of the day he'd been blue and sticky.

Amy grabbed an arm and pulled her up. "It'll be fun!"

"Define fun," she grumbled as she let herself be dragged across the gym floor.

"Where's your school spirit?"

"I think Monty ate it." Monty was the school's mascot. He was an eight-year-old bulldog who lived with the football coach.

When the ten volunteers were gathered the cheerleaders brought out a Twister mat except instead of blue, green, yellow and green dots, there were mustard, ketchup, whip cream and chocolate syrup dots. Stricken, Keeley looked over at Nicky who was doubled over in her seat, laughing her ass off.

An arm draped over her shoulders. "Don't worry, Keels, it won't be too bad."

"You did this," she accused, throwing her brother an evil glare. This was his way of getting back at her for inviting Talon over.

"I'm just giving you a chance to show off your school spirit. I know how much you love games." He ignored her jab to the stomach and moved to the side so he could have a front row seat of her humiliation.

Rolling up the ends of her jeans, she listened as the principal read off the first set of instructions. Hesitating, she watched as the other students stepped onto a dot of yellow mustard. Zach waved her forward, a toothy smile pasted on his face. With a grimace, she placed her right foot on the dot, mustard gushing between her toes. Gross.

"I'm going to kill you," she mouthed to Zach. For the next few minutes, she contorted her body over the messy mat, getting her feet and hands dirty with various condiments.

"Left hand, chocolate sauce."

Balancing on her toes, she carefully lifted her arm and placed it on the closet dot. The movement caused Talon's ring to dislodge from under her shirt. Like a pendulum, it swung back and forth, Crosswell's green and gold colors clearly on display. 

Zach's eyes widened as soon as he saw it. He seemed visibly stunned. His whole body rigid as his eyes remained transfixed on the ring. Cory, who was standing next to him, said something but Zach didn't stir from his stony state. Confused, Cory followed his line of sight. His mouth dropped when he saw the ring.

What the hell? Keeley thought to herself. She moved towards them, completely forgetting where she was. Immediately, her hands slid from under her and she fell onto the disgusting mat. The whole school cheered, loving the action. Ignoring Amy who held out a towel, she made a beeline for her brother but he'd vanished.

"Where's Zach?" she asked his friend.

Cory's eyes blazed with anger. She took a step back, the heat scorching her senses. "I can't believe you would wear that," he spat.

Automatically her hand grabbed the ring, protecting it from his gaze. "What's going on?" she asked, fed up with being left in the dark. "Does this have anything to do with Claire?"

His jaw went slack. "You know about Claire?"

"No, but apparently you do." She grabbed his arm. Chocolate sauce smeared onto his skin but she didn't care. "Who is this girl? What did she do to Zach and Talon?"

He yanked away from her. "Maybe you should go ask lover boy."

Aggravated, she reached for him again, digging her nails into his flesh. "Who. Is. Claire?"

Cory's arm flexed underneath her hand. His mouth was drawn into a scowl. "She's a girl from Crosswell." A long pause. "Well, was from Crosswell."

Instantly, she released his arm. Fear coiled in the pit of her stomach making her nauseas. "Is she dead?" she whispered.

"No!" Cory exclaimed his face screwed up in disgust. "Why would you even ask that?"

Relief poured over her. The urge to slap him on the back of the head was increasing every second she stood there. "If she isn't at Crosswell where is she?" she asked slowly, enunciating each word.

Lines on his forehead creased. "I think she moved to Iowa or somewhere like that."

Her fingers itched to give him one good smack. He was one of Zach's best friends. Couldn't he provide more information than that?

"All right everyone time to sit down," the principal said, urging the students back to their seats. Most of them were covered in a mishmash of ketchup, mustard and chocolate sauce.  

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Amy coming towards her, ready to escort her back. "Cory," she said urgently, before she lost the chance, "Why did she move?"  

His eyes dipped down to the ring hanging around her neck. "Good question. You really should ask the guy you're dating." With that parting shot, he turned and walked away before she could ask anything further.

"You look like a zombie. What happened out there?" Nicky asked, handing her a towel.

She wiped down her arms and legs. "I don't know but I think I need to have a talk with Talon."

"Is this about that girl?"

She nodded. "Something happened between those three and I have a feeling it was ugly."

 "Are you sure you want to go digging around the past?" Nicky asked, worry in her voice. "You may not like what you find."

Despite the uneasy feeling crawling down her spine, she knew what she needed to do. "I'm sure," she said, giving Nicky a tremulous smile.

She needed to do find out the truth, no matter the consequences—even if that meant it ended things with Talon. It was the right thing to do, for herself and for her relationship. Reaching into her backpack she pulled out her phone and sent a text message that nearly broke her heart.

Talon, we need to talk. –Keeley

****

A/N Thanks for reading this chapter of The Cell Phone Swap. I've had a blast reading everyone's theories of who Claire is and what happened. You guys crack me up! Please don't forget to comment and vote if you like the story. Thanks! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 111 16
Olivia gets a text that was sent to her accidentally, soon, Olivia and the guy behind the screen exchange texts every day, as she grows more curious...
29.6K 1.2K 47
What if you are dared to text someone that you hated. Emily Johnson , 17 year old never thought a simple text can change her life . And she never l...
52.3K 2.4K 41
"He's a breath of fresh air. The happiness to my sadness. The calm to my anxiety. He's an equal and opposite force, blocking me from the course of se...
181K 6.3K 41
Summary It must sound very cliché but this is my story, the story of a nerd ( aka me, Emma) and how my life turned upside down In A mere couple of m...