Strength

By fiftyslays

Nia and the gang are all grown up. You should read Soft before you read this book. More

Introduction
.prologue.
Featured Cast.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
9.1
10.
11.
11.1
11.2
Y'all
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
16.1
16.2
16.3
17.
18.
18.1
Nominations
18.2
18.3
19
21.
22.1
22.2
22.3
23.
24.
25.
26.
26.2
26.3
27.
28.
29.
30.
30.1
30.2
30.3
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.

20.

16.8K 1.2K 1.1K
By fiftyslays

Excuse any mistakes. Naomi in the mm.

Calabasas, California
Monday morning

"You've got to learn to leave the table when love's no longer being served."

Nina Simone

   Naomi cracks open Saint's door, looking into his Batman themed room. He's in the middle of the bed with his head just barely peaking from up under the cover. Light snores fill the room and although his head is turned away from her, she knows that his mouth is wide open.

Quietly walking into the room, she softly closes the door behind her. When everyone flew back last night, Naomi stayed behind until the morning.

     New York was always a place she never wanted to leave. In all honesty, she never had plans of staying in LA long term. But, she didn't have the luxury of thinking about herself.

At least not right now.

     She walks over to his bed, and lays beside him. Since he's a light sleeper, she knows he's going to wake up soon.

Right on que, he moves and turns his head before slowly opening his eyes. When they finally land on her, he immediately jumps up.

    "Mommy!" He greets her with a tight hug around her neck.

Naomi laughs at his excitement, and hugs him back. "Hey baby."

    "I missed you." He mumbles into her neck. "Worst birthday ever." He states dramatically as he pulls away.

"Awwww." Naomi coos, kissing his forehead. "I'm sorry for missing it, but I'm going to make it up to you. But you have to be really good at school today."

    Saint nods excitedly. "Okay."

Naomi squints her eyes. "I mean it, Saint. Your dad told me that you couldn't seem to be on your best behavior last week."

    "Snitch." Saint mumbles to himself. "But, but mommy it's so hard to be quiet allllll day." He facepalms himself.

Naomi rolls her eyes at him. "No one is asking to be quiet all day. Just when the teacher is trying to teach. I need you to learn something."

    "Mom, I'm the smartest kid in there. The work is so easy, I be bored."

"Hmm." Naomi taps her chin. "Do you help your classmates?"

     "Sometimes." He responds as he rubs the sleep out of his eyes.

"Well, I'll talk to your teacher and we'll come up with something. Maybe some harder work." Naomi lifts up her eyebrow at him.

    Saint shrugs. "Bring it. I'm not new to this, I'm true to this."

His alarm goes off on the stand next to his bed and Naomi presses the snooze button. "Hurry up and get ready. I'll make french toast this time instead of pancakes."

    "Finally." Saint says. "Was starting to think Nia was really your favorite."

Naomi leans her head back and laughs. "I don't play favorites with my children. I love you all equally."

    Saint shakes his head. "Not Chase."

"I love Chase as much as I love you, Jamila and Nia."

    "Chase is a bird. And he ugly. Mom, you can do better." Saint gets up and goes into his bathroom, closing the door behind him.

Naomi shakes her head at her youngest son before getting up and leaving his room. She makes her way down the children's hallway, and peeps into Jamila's room whose door is always open.

     Naomi thinks the girl is a sociopath because who sleeps with the door open?

"Goodmorning, baby girl." Naomi greets Jamila.

     Jamila turns around with her hair all over her head and smiles. "Morning Mommy. I missed you."

Naomi playfully rolls her eyes. "Can't tell."

     Jamila sighs playfully and drags her feet. She hugs Naomi's waist, laying her head on Naomi's stomach. "Daddy was mean."

"What?" Naomi looks down at her. Jamila pulls away, looking up at Naomi and nodding her head.

     "So cranky. Please help him out." Jamila goes back to her princess themed bed and lays down.

"Umm, it's 6:45. Get up."

      Jamila sighs and sits up. "I got suspended." Naomi's face turns serious and the stare she was giving Jamila was making Jamila uncomfortable. "It wasn't my fault, Mommy. I promise."

"What happened?" Naomi folds her arms across her chest.

    "Chase got suspended, too." She says quickly before getting into the story. Naomi takes a deep breath before listening. "Okay, so this boy was calling me names and stuff like everybody do. But you told me to ignore it and whatever, unless somebody touched me. So I did. We went outside for recess and this girl was picking. However, the boy pushed me off the swing this time. Mommy, what he do that for? Chase came outta nowhere and tackled him. So he was beating up the boy so I felt like.. well this girl can get these hands too while we here. And the rest is history."

Naomi looks at Jamila with an amusing smirk on her face. She felt like she was bringing up another Nia which meant she was raising two Naomi's at the same time.

     Her genes were strong to say the least.

"Okay, so I really can't be mad. Chase was defending you, as he should. And you just needed to blow off steam am I correct?" Naomi asks.

      Jamila blinks before nodding her head. "Exactlyyyy. Wow, that went better than expected."

"I'm sure." Naomi nods. "But, suspension doesn't mean you're going to sleep all day. Go take the dogs outside and clean up your room. I know that closet isn't a sight to see."

     Jamila's face drops and Naomi smiles at her before blowing a kiss.

"Mommy can we talk about it???" Jamila yells as Naomi leaves the room.

    "Get up Jamila Grace!" Naomi shouts back.

She doesn't bother to knock on Chase's door, instead she bombards into his room knowing that he was the heaviest sleeper of the four.

    Nia was a close first.

Chase's room was a little different than what most would think. For some reason—a reason neither Naomi or Zeke could think of—Chase was obsessed with the Black Panther Party.

     Not that anything was wrong with it. Just seemed like an odd obsession for an eleven year old.

There were black power fists posted on the wall and a picture of Fred Hampton above his headboard. He slept with Angela Davis on his cover.

     Needless to say, Naomi had fun decorating his room.

"Sir Chase Ingram!" Naomi yells, snatching his cover off of his body.

      "I'm a Cartier." He mumbles sleepily before turning over.

Naomi touches the bridge of her nose, and laughs to herself. "My kids are characters, my God." She looks at him with an amused look. It didn't take him long to go back to sleep. "You want a hyphen in your name?"

    Unconsciously, Chase nods.

"Boy." Naomi cackles. "Get up."

    "Five more minutes, please Ma." Chase pleads. "I'm so tired. Please."

"No, five minutes to you means forever. Get up before I go get the ice water."

     Chase immediately sits up. "Not the ice water ma."

Naomi nods. "Yes, the ice water. Did you iron your clothes last night?"

     "Ms. Ayshah did."

"Ms. Ayshah is not your maid." Naomi looks at him. "You know how to iron your own clothes. Let's not make that a habit because I'm not raising dependent men."

     "Yes ma'ammm." Chase says as he stretches his long limbs.

"Can I get a hug and kiss? I mean sheesh, act like you missed me."

     Chase smiles and gets out of his bed. "I missed you ma. You my main lady." He says before hugging her.

Naomi kisses the top of his head. "I heard you beat up a boy for touching your sister."

    Chase shrugs. "He wanted to get got so I had to get 'em. I'ma protect my sis with my blood, sweat and soul."

"It's tears." Naomi corrects him.

     "I said what I said mama."

Naomi shakes her head at him. "Mhmm. Well, you know you can't sleep all day. Jamila never gets suspended but this is nothing new for you."

    "Yesss, I know. Clean up my room and the pool. I hope Bailey didn't use the bathroom in it this time." He sighs before going to his bathroom.

"Three down, one to go." Naomi takes the longer walk to the end of the hall to Nia's room.

     She opens the door, but doesn't find Nia in her bed. The bed was still made up which meant she didn't sleep in her room.

Naomi closes the door and opens the door next to Nia's room. She takes the stairs to the next floor, heading directly to Nia's art room.

    She opens the door and finds a sleeping Nia on the couch, with her head on Shiloh's arm.

A finished painting sat in the corner, and Naomi wasn't sure what it was. Had to mean something, though.

     She turns her attention back to the two teenagers and clears her throat, loudly. Nia's head flies off Shiloh's shoulder as if she's trained to know Naomi's voice.

"We did nothing, I swear." Nia says still half sleep.

    Shiloh's eyes open and is alarmed when they land on Naomi, who isn't pleased. The look on her face said everything she didn't need to say verbally.

Naomi leans on the wall, and folds her arms across her chest. She patiently waits for an explanation.

     "Mom, we didn't do anything. I was painting all night and I fell asleep in here." Nia, who is now wide awake, continues to explain.

"I trust you and believe when you say nothing happened." Naomi nods. "Rules were just broken, that's all."

    "I'm sorry, Ms. Naomi. I know I wasn't 'posed to be up here this late." Shiloh speaks up before getting off the couch.

"Just don't make this a habit." Naomi looks at him and he nods before walking to the door.

    "Shiloh." She calls after him, and he turns back around. "Do you all like french toast?"

Shiloh rubs his stomach. "To be honest Ms. Naomi, I ain't never had 'em but if you cookin' 'em, sign me up."

    Naomi chuckles. "Noted."

Shiloh leaves out of the room and Naomi looks back at Nia. "Hmp."

    Nia scratches her forehead and stands up. "Hmp what?"

"You don't even allow your brothers and sister inside your art room. Only Adrian. Now Shiloh, interesting."

    "Only because they're not at the age where they're responsible." Nia explains.

"Mhmm. You know the door has to be open if you two are going to be in a room and he has to be out by 11pm." Naomi looks at Nia.

    "Do y'all think we're really gonna do something? Especially in the house where my parents live?" Nia smirks.

"All I know is that I used to be sixteen and my boyfriend at the time, Qasir, was nineteen. The door was closed and we were doing things." Naomi says.

    "You were fast." Nia shakes her head.

"Moral of the story is that your grandmother didn't care." Naomi continues. "But, I do. That's the difference."

    Nia smiles a little and nods. "I know. I wouldn't want it any other way. I love you."

"I love you, too." Naomi kisses Nia's cheek. "Can you take Saint to school? You don't have to worry about Chase and Jamila."

    Nia nods again. "I heard about them. They're calling them the Mayweathers."

Naomi rolls her eyes. "I don't like when my children fight."

    "These kids be asking for it. Remember that girl in eight grade? Wynter? I beat the sleeves off that girl. Shouldn't have stole my cupcake off my plate."

Naomi laughs, pushing Nia out of the room. "Girl, go get ready."

     As the two exit into the hallway, they bump into Zeke who was half dressed with a pair of slacks on without a shirt.

"Why did I bump into Shiloh on my way up here?" Zeke looks directly at Nia. He moves her neck around for any evidence.

    "ZeeZeeee.." Nia whines.

"You know Ash is still here. I'm trying to help."

     "They didn't do anything babe." Naomi chuckles, grabbing his hand. "And Ash is still here? Why?"

"Oh, you need to talk to him." Nia says, turning serious. "As soon as possible."

      "Is it bad?" Naomi asks.

"Don't ask me because I'm going to cry. I've been doing really good." Nia says, walking past Zeke and Naomi.

   Zeke and Naomi exchanges glances. "What's that about?" Naomi asks. "Apparently, I've missed alot."

"I don't know anything about that." Zeke says.

     Naomi sighs. "I can't take anymore bad news."

Zeke leans on the wall, and folds his arms across his chest. "Can I ask you something?"

    Naomi looks at him and nods. "Sure, what is it?"

"I know Rayne is your friend." He starts. "And I know y'all talk about any and everything. That's my sister, though and I'm worried. Any thing I need to know?"

     Naomi bites her bottom lip and briefly looks away. "I think it'll be better if Rayne tell you."

"But, she's not."

     "She will." Naomi looks back at him. "You just have to give her time."

Zeke sighs and walks away causing Naomi to look at him weirdly. "You're just gonna walk away from me?"

"Didn't know we kept secrets." Zeke looks back at her.

"Come on, Zeke." Naomi follows behind him. "That's not fair. It's none of my business to tell."

"Does it have anything to do with Amir?" Zeke asks.

Naomi kisses his cheek. "Ask Rayne. I have to go get started on breakfast."

Zeke watches as Naomi goes down the stairs and bites down on his teeth, flexing his jaw muscles. He had a feeling that it had something to do with Amir and he hoped it wasn't what he thought it was.

Downtown LA
Afternoon

"This complex is right in the center of downtown which is quite busy." The realtor explains as he leads Naomi and Ayshah inside the penthouse.

"Hm." Naomi hums as she looks around the living area. "Tight security, correct?"

"Correct."

Naomi looks at Ayshah. "Is the location fine with you?"

Ayshah is busy looking at the size of the place, and how luxurious it looks. Never in her life did she imagine living in something like this.

"I'm not even sure." Ayshah answers honestly.

"Well, how about we look around to see if you like the place?" The realtor looks at the both of them and they agree.

As he leads them to the kitchen, Naomi takes the cigarette that Ayshah was about to light out of her mouth.

"No ma'am." Naomi says, throwing it into the trash. "Do you have a pack?" She looks at Ayshah.

"No, left it in the car."

"Okay, no more smoking cigarettes." Naomi looks at her. "We're eliminating the source of your anxiety. You don't need that anymore."

Ayshah nods and the two finally walk into the kitchen. "Wow, this is beautiful." Naomi says to herself.

"This may be too much." Ayshah admits. "It's just three of us."

"Do you like to cook?" Naomi looks at her.

"When I'm not working all of the time, sure." Ayshah shrugs.

"Well, you won't have to pull those long hours anymore which means you'll have more free time to cook. And Ayshah, I like to eat." Naomi smiles, and so does Ayshah. "You have to host a dinner or two."

"Don't worry." The realtor points at the dining table. "Furniture is included in the price."

"Amazing."

"Naomi, can we speak alone?" Ayshah asks.

"Sure. William, can you give us a minute?" Naomi looks at him.

"Sure thing."

After he excuses himself, Naomi looks at Ayshah expectantly. Ayshah sighs, taking a seat on one of the bar stools. "I can't let you do this."

Naomi lifts her eyebrow, and sits her purse on the counter. "Do what exactly?"

"Buy this lavish place for me."

"You think I'm just doing this for you?" Naomi clasps her hands together and rests them under her chin. Ayshah looks at her and Naomi tilts her head to the side. "Hm?"

Ayshah shakes her head. "I'm not understanding."

"You have two beautiful children, Ayshah. I'm not just doing this for you. I'm trying to help you, of course. And by helping you, you can create a better environment for them so they can thrive."

"I can always relapse and go back to Asheek. How do you know that I am a sure thing?"

Naomi walks over and stands in front of Ayshah. "You just told me that you are."

Ayshah looks confused. "How?"

"You acknowledge that you can relapse. Most women who experience domestic abuse don't do that. They would never tell me, they'd just go back. Ayshah, you want better for you and your kids. Just stop fighting me and let me help." Naomi explains.

Ayshah rubs her neck and looks out to the view of downtown.

"I'm just scared. What if I haven't escaped him?"

Naomi turns Ayshah's head back to her. "I know you're scared. But, let me worry about that. I promised you that he will never hurt you or your children again. And I meant that."

Ayshah looks at Naomi, feeling some sort of security in her words. She found herself nodding and agreeing to allowing Naomi to help.

"Why is William watching tv in the front room?" Nia's voice sounds through the kitchen.

Ayshah looks up to see Nia and young man walk over to them.

"We were discussing some things." Naomi says. "Hey Adrian."

"Hey Auntie Mimi." Adrian hugs her and looks at Ayshah. "You're Shiloh's mom?"

"Yes." Ayshah nods.

"Ms. Ayshah, this is my best friend, Adrian." Nia introduces the two.

"Nice to meet you, Adrian." Ayshah smiles, looking at how Nia has her arm linked with his arm.

"How long have you two known each other?" Ayshah asks.

"I met her when I was six. She was five. So eleven years." Adrian answers.

"Wow, such a long time. A blessing." Ayshah nods.

"Yeah, I guess. She gets on my nerves." Adrian shrugs.

Nia rolls her eyes and looks at Naomi. "Ready for me to go spy on ZeeZee?" She smirks.

Naomi plucks Nia's forehead causing her to giggle. "You're not spying on him. He left his small camera in the car and I'm too busy to take it to him." She says as she goes to get the camera out of her tote bag.

"Yeah, yeah." Nia waves her off and bites a piece of her airhead.

Naomi hands her the bag, but she points at Adrian. "I'm not carrying anything when there is a guy present. Thank you."

Adrian stale faces her. "I don't like you." He says as he grabs the bag.

"See you grabbed the bag, though." Nia flips her wig in his face and walks out of the kitchen. "Love you mom! See you later, Ms. Ayshah."

Adrian looks at Naomi and Ayshah. "Siccud."

"You spoiled her." Naomi shrugs. "And that's saying something because Ash and I had already spoiled her enough."

Adrian chuckles. "Come on, Dri!" Nia yells.

"That's my que. See you later." Adrian kisses Naomi's cheek then leaves out of the room, following Nia out of the door. "We really going to go spy on Uncle Zeke?" Adrian asks Nia.

"I am." Nia shrugs. "Don't know about you."

It only took a few minutes for Nia and Adrian to make it to Zeke's studio since it was just outside of downtown.

Nia puts on her shades, and grabs her bag from off of the backseat. She gets out of the car and so does Adrian.

She opens the door and smiles at the secretary that sat at the front desk. "Hi Rosemary." Nia greets the woman.

"Hi Nia. Does Mr. Ingram know you're here or you want me to call him?"

"He knows. Thank you, though." Nia leads Adrian down the hall to the photo-shooting area. Zeke is in the middle of taking photos and Nia pulls her shades down to just her nose to get a good look at the woman.

Zeke looks at her and Adrian, stopping what he was doing. "Hey Nia Bia. Wassup nephew?"

"Hey Unc." Adrian gives Zeke his camera.

"Thanks. Really needed this."

Nia finally removes her shades and points to the half naked lady in the studio. "Harpo, who dis white woman?"

"Nia." Zeke says in a warning tone.

A laugh causes her to turn around to look at the woman again. She's putting her robe on as she walks over to where they're standing. "You are stunning."

"I wish I could say the same." Nia squints her eyes.

"Nia, really?" Adrian kisses his teeth. "You don't even know her."

"It's okay. I'd be overprotective of my father, too." The lady says. "My name is Meghan by the way."

Nia looks at the tattoos on her arms and legs, recognizing the artwork anywhere. It looked like Amir did it. "Who did your tattoos?"

"I went to cARTier."

"Hm, sounds familiar." Nia looks at her. "My uncle owns it."

"Oh, didn't know." Meghan shrugs.

"I bet you didn't." Nia flashes a fake smile.

"Aight, let's go." Adrian pushes Nia to the door, and tells Zeke bye. Once they were outside, Adrian looks at Nia. "Why you acting like that?"

Nia places her shades back on her face and snatches open the passenger door. "Something isn't right about her."

"How you know?"

"I feel it." Nia slides into the passenger seat and closes the door.

Happy Valentine's Day! Hope you all enjoy it. Don't do anything I wouldn't do which isn't much!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 931 36
New life. New rules. New people. New beginnings. Everyone's been living their life to the fullest. But your past is always going to come back and bit...
3.2K 237 16
"'𝙲𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚖𝚎 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚍𝚘 𝚍𝚊𝚖𝚊𝚐𝚎" --𝙷.𝙴.𝚁.
3.3M 120K 61
𝚈𝙾𝚄'𝚁𝙴 𝙼𝚈 𝚂𝙰𝙻𝚅𝙰𝙶𝙴, 𝚈𝙾𝚄'𝚁𝙴 𝙼𝚈 𝙱𝙰𝙻𝙰𝙽𝙲𝙴
57.7K 2.4K 50
Alone book 2. More so focused on Joy rather than Amir and kalanie. Just a heads up but enjoy ♥️