Third Wheel | EDITING

By anne_luvs

Meet Lana. A professional third wheel at her finest. You would think being the school's power couple third... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 | Wait It Out
Chapter 32 | The Last Game
Chapter 33 | In The Crowd
Chapter 34 | Last Speeches
Chapter 35 | Surprise Dates
Chapter 36 | A Night To Remember
Chapter 37 | Trust Can Hurt
Chapter 38 | Sometimes Life Doesn't Go As Planned
Chapter 39 | Regrets And The Silence That Comes With It
Chapter 40 | Nothing Close To A Third Wheel
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter #1
Bonus Chapter #2
S E Q U E L
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL 2018
Editing!!

Chapter 26

48.4K 1.5K 234
By anne_luvs

Chapter 26

It was already 5 and the bleachers would soon be even more packed.

JV cheer was hyping up the crowd while the JV players dominated the game. It was nostalgic and sad to say the least; that the season was almost over.

As promised, Bradly was on my hip, shying his face away from the strangers that wanted to introduce themselves. 

Bradley on the other hand had been dragging Grayson ever since we arrived, pulling him back and forth with the endless energy he had harbored from the nap on the ride here.

"Gray! Gray! Are you going to be playing today?" Lincoln inquired, looking up at Grayson with his doe-like eyes.

"Yea little buddy, watch me okay?" Gray assured, pointing out where he would be standing, "I'll run out of the tunnel and remember if you find #1 on the field that's me." 

The two of us made our way to the end of the bleachers, the railing and track separating us from the field.

"Aight thanks for keeping Lincoln entertained, I got these two, go warm up and I'll catch up later," I told him, urging him to go with the rest of the team that was staring our way before hugging him.

"Christensen! Leave the wife and life behind and get on the field!" Travis yelled, earning a couple of snickers and fist bumps from the team.

Gray rolled his eyes and discreetly flipped them off before hopping the railing and heading to the other side of the field.

As he left, I grabbed ahold of Lincoln's hand so he wouldn't run off somewhere before I was tapped on the shoulder and met by an elderly couple.

"I just wanted to say how it's adorable how you and your boyfriend are raising two young kids at such a young age." The woman tells me, bending down to pat Lincoln's head, "Most kids your age wouldn't have been able to handle the responsibility of kids yet, but y'all look like you're doing just fine."

They gush over Lincoln and Bradley and before I have time to tell them otherwise, they left.

By the time I had checked my phone once more, it had already been 6:15 with the Varsity game starting at 7.

I had dropped the boys off with Asher, the assistant coach, and a close friend of my father and the rest of the team,  both cheer, and football.

The locker room was packed with gossip, everyone was excited about the scouts being present. It wasn't just for football, a few select of the girls would get chosen as well to be offered scholarships, something that didn't happen very often.

Just as I finished changing, Denni and Hailey approached me, most likely about to dish the newest rumors.

"Wow, dating Christensen huh?" Hailey teased playfully, prodding for more information, "I never got the chance to ask about it! That's so crazy!"

"Yup," I shrugged, "It just ended up like that somehow."

It wasn't news to anyone that I haven't had a serious relationship in a while. Talking stages here and there but nothing this serious.

"Surprisingly, I'm not jealous, y'all deserve each other," Hailey admitted, smiling for me. Denni nodded in agreement, despite the two gushing over him back in our junior year.

I didn't bother doting over his past relationships, it wasn't going to do anything now after all. 

I thanked them and they walked off, talking more about the new PE teacher that was apparently 'surprisingly young and hot'. Something didn't sit well at the thought of them wanting to go after a faculty member none the less. At Clearwater, seniors and juniors don't have to take physical education, making it a rumor that circulated up from the lower classmen.

"GIRLS, FIX YOUR BOWS, YOU'RE OUT IN 5!" Coach Tori yelled out, calling for me and Hailey.

The two of us shrugged and fixed ourselves up in the mirror one time before heading to our coach.

"Alright, you two pay attention and make sure you show a lot of spirit out there today okay? It's unheard of that the cheer coaches come to high school games and they will be looking at you two most likely so don't disappoint. Make sure your flips and tumbles are in sync and on point. Work with each other and good luck!" She explained, gesturing to the field multiple times.

I could see why Gray was so restless.

The bleachers were packed, scouts most likely scattered at the front of the bleachers with dedicated a good seat. The turnout was huge, after all, Clearwater thrived off being a football school.

The two of us nodded, looking at each other, before stretching and talking our routine. 

•••

As soon as the 5 minutes were up, all of us had lined up with our respective football players, ready to walk them out to the stadium as their guardian angels. 

Guardian Angels for football season was a long time tradition where cheerleaders were paired up with football players, making each other gift baskets and posters for games.

Hailey and I had made some changes, me switching players from Evan to Collin. The two who played defense always spent their time making crude jokes that we put up with anyways. I had always been paired with seniors, up until I was one, being an underclassman in Varsity and now that I was a senior, nothing had changed.

"Girls, make sure to smile and use your pom-poms!" I screamed out at the sound of the band.

The student body had created quite a show, with their cheering and chants loud as ever.

"Quick change, you're up at the front with the captain permanently, we got another sub for Collin." Coach Tori said, ushering me to the front. My curiosity peaked and I followed, weaving myself through the players.

I saw Grayson with a smile, comforting without a care in the world.

"Cough it up, how'd you get me up here? We were already given our guardian angels for this season." I questioned, shamelessly eyeing Grayson down suspiciously.

His shoulder pads were on and his jersey with the #1 in bold white print. He held his helmet in his right hand as his smile reached his eyes as he looked at me.

Gray chuckled, touching my newly placed pink bow with his number on it. It was a tradition if you were dating a player to put their number on your bow, a sign of support.

"I might've pulled a few strings to get my girlfriend to walk me out for the rest of the season." He smirked, touching my number once last time.

I smiled and let him pull me into a kiss knowing he was on edge despite being sure of the fact that my lipstick was sure to smear. Just as he tightened his arm around my waist, the horn sounded for the start of the game.

"Ready?" I asked, adjusting my bow only to see him nod. 

"Ready as I'll ever be," He replied, sticking his hand out for our handshake which we quickly did and sealed it with a kiss. 

I blushed before we were given the cue to go.

"OUR CAPTAIN AND OUR QUARTERBACK, GIVE IT UP FOR #1! GRAYSON CHRISTENSEN!" The announcer yelled out, clearly excited himself.

The two of us ran out, me pulling a few flips and tricks all the way to the edge of the field.

"Christensen! Christensen! Christensen!" The students chanted as Gray wore an ear to ear smile across his face.

His hand wrapped around mine as he looked and waved to Bradley and Lincoln on the side.

He was happy.

And I'd be stupid not to see that this was when he was happiest.

•••

Happy last day of the first month of the year loves! Here's a new chapter to celebrate!

Sorry once again, I've been so caught up with school but I managed to write another chapter! This was going to have a cliffhanger in it, but I decided it would be better off as a filler chapter :) Anyways, the next chapter is going to be heart breaking(?)!

Stay tuned guys!

Also, my new book 'Chasing the Forbidden' just released its first chapter! Go check it out and give it a lot of support!

Anyways, like always please vote, comment, follow, and share this book! 

-Anne

•••
Updated: 1•31•17
Edited: 10•30•20

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 234 15
(Attention: definitely not the story I'm most proud of... wrote this in my free time, wasn't too into detail - at all. I actually don't recommend thi...
182K 7.2K 31
Kayla Ryans tries to maintain control in all aspects of her life and avoids relationships at all costs. When she signs up for a Co-ed Summer Beach Vo...
258K 5K 32
#1 in couple 08/20/23 #3 in college 07/12/23 #3 in college romance 07/06/23 #2 in spicy 07/24/23 Emily Caldwell was a normal girl, living with her be...
652 48 12
Bubbly and chubby Cara Knight's life was going pretty well. She worked hard in school, excelled in sports and was the life of the party. One chance e...