Love In Design

De moudenes

After years trying to break through with their work at The Image Factory, a team of graphic designers gets hi... Mai multe

Chapter 1 - Students
Chapter 2 - Colleague
Chapter 3 - First Day
Chapter 4 - News
Chapter 5 - Father
Chapter 6 - Late Night
Chapter 7 - Broken
Chapter 8 - Return
Chapter 9 - Date
Chapter 10 - Past
Chapter 11 - Search
Chapter 12 - Forgiveness
Chapter 13 - Heartbroken
Chapter 14 - Trip
Chapter 15 - Miracle
Chapter 17 - Problem
Chapter 18 - Secret
Chapter 19 - First Love
Chapter 20 - Pain
Chapter 21 - Arrest
Chapter 22 - Nap
Chapter 23 - Surprise
Chapter 24 - Guest
Chapter 25 - Love
Chapter 26 - Nightmare
Chapter 27 - Stranger
Chapter 28 - Parents in Law
Chapter 29 - Two
Chapter 30 - Goodbye
Chapter 31 - Limit
Chapter 32 - Away
Chapter 33 - Unexpected
Chapter 34 - Switch
Chapter 35 - Hope
Chapter 36 - Father
Chapter 37 - Disappointment
Chapter 38 - Baseball
Chapter 39 - Hero
Chapter 40 - Impressions
Chapter 41 - Home
Chapter 42 - Last Fight
Chapter 43 - Danger
Chapter 44 - Help
Chapter 45 - Grateful
Chapter 46 - Celebrations
Chapter 47 - Family
Chapter 48 - Ten Years

Chapter 16 - Client

1.1K 98 23
De moudenes

ELVAM

Even though David warned us about the consequences of accepting the contract with Face Incorporated, we went through with it. These sorts of projects are usually handled by large marketing businesses and we are only a design studio, lacking perhaps strategy skills. We might even need to hire a few consultants to help us with that part, but no one could deny that it's an exciting opportunity for us to show what we are capable of.

When Andrea called to invite me for a lunch to discuss the project, I felt hesitant. Usually David handles the clients and the meetings. Everyone reassured me it was the right thing to do since she made the first contact through me, although they don't know exactly under which circumstances.

Right before I left for the lunch, I left Zack and Kaley arguing again. He made an idiotic remark about her day dreaming over a fuck boy and she burst. She's been moody and distracted, and I swear she had been crying when she came in this morning. But Zack should know when to stop. I'm not great at communicating, but those two are hiding something.

My reflection on the restaurant window makes me gain some confidence. It has been long since I've worn anything that isn't black, but I want to come across as a competent business man. As I open the door, the beautiful place brings bittersweet memories. My mom used to bring me to restaurants like this, just the two of us. My father would be away for weeks at a time and I think she felt I needed the extra attention.

Andrea waves at me from the table she and another woman occupy and the maître d' escorts me to them.

"Elvam, it's so nice to see you again," Andrea kisses my cheek and I feel a bit awkward at her affection. "I would like you to meet our CEO Jackie Stewart. Jackie this is Elvam Kadar."

I turn to shake the hand of Ms. Stewart, and she looks familiar. Her eyes also show a hint of recognition.

"Pleased to finally meet you. Andrea told me you know each other since college."

"We do. That's why working with her and Face Incorporated in this project feels like old times. I have read the brief and discussed it with the team, but I always find that it comes alive when we go through it with the clients."

"We are so excited about this project," Andrea begins. "As we discussed, and I sent you in the brief, we have completed the development of an organic line of beauty and skincare products for teenagers. Hundred percent natural and vegan. A soft palette for a natural look with products for hair, nails and face. In my head I see a simplified look with light wood, white, soft gold, pastels. Line illustrations on colored backgrounds. Here I have a mood board that is almost final, and we just got the store development plans from the architects. I'm sure you get what I mean, you always did."

My lips curl into a smile remembering the times Andrea and I paired up on projects in college and how she hasn't changed at all. Whatever idea she presented to me was beautiful and well-thought, and I couldn't help it but to agree with it.

"It certainly matches my initial thoughts. Does the line have a name?"

"We've called it Pure Bliss. We hope that your team can create a unique look and feel."

"Our team has the capabilities to meet your needs. Owen McKay and Nathan Larsen have both design and development backgrounds. So not only they can make a beautiful website, they are also experienced in e-commerce integration, if you eventually want to add it. Kaley Sloan will take on packaging design and Zack Valentine together with me will work on the branding and marketing materials. Andrea also knows Kaley and Zack from our college years," I say to Ms. Stewart.

"You were a magical trio back then. Everything you guys made was stunning and detailed," Andrea adds.

"Thank you. As soon as I get to the studio, I'll begin on some rough drafts using this," I tap on the mood board.

Andrea and Ms. Stewart nod at each other. Then Ms. Stewart's attention moves to something or someone behind me. Her face breaks into a smile as she stands up.

"Excuse me for a minute. Hello, Serkan. I haven't seen you in a long time."

"Hello, Jackie. I hope you are well," says a voice I thought I would not hear again.

I turn around to find my father standing next to us. His cold eyes glance briefly at me and then continue looking at Ms. Stewart. What is he doing in Greenwood?

"I'm doing fine. Let me introduce you to two brilliant people. This is my Marketing Director Andrea Sullivan, and Elvam Kadar, co-owner of The Idea Factory. His team will take on the branding and design for our newest product line."

My father shakes Andrea's hand and nods at me.

"Serkan Kadar and Elvam Kadar. Aren't you related?" Ms. Stewart looks from me at him.

"No, I don't think so," he says before I can answer.

"I'm so sorry about the loss of your wife. I was on vacation when I heard the news. Hopefully you received the flowers I sent. That must have been terrible for you," says Ms. Stewart to my father, who eyes my reaction.

I keep my sweaty and shaky hands under the table and wipe them on my trousers.

"Yes, it was a terrible loss," he says, still looking at me.

"How's your son?" Ms. Stewart says. Now I remember where I know her from; she's been to parties at the house when I was younger.

"My son died too," my father says with no emotion.

My skin turns cold and I feel dizzy. We are shortly interrupted by the arrival of our food, but I have lost my appetite. Ms. Stewart and my father say their goodbyes and we return to our meeting. I try my best to eat and keep up with the conversation, but the bile rising in my throat makes everything taste bitter.

After declining a cup of coffee after the meal, I agree to give a presentation at their office with some branding ideas in a week. When I get to my car, my hands shake so badly I have trouble getting the key into the ignition. To deny my existence, declare me dead to him, has left me empty and lost. When is this nightmare going to end?

OWEN

Elvam came back to the office and assured us that the meeting with Face went great, but something was obviously off. Not to the degree like when he disappeared for a week and came back, but he looked distressed. Kaley looked as if she wanted to ask him what was wrong, but seemed to make her mind up and stepped back. Elvam then went to the meeting room with Zack to brainstorm ideas for the logo for Pure Bliss, and I felt sort of glad since Kaley and him have been arguing the whole morning and I was on the brink of going home so that I could concentrate.

After I read Face's design brief and found out we'll be dealing with a line of teen products, I've been wondering if we will get any samples. Ciara will certainly benefit; she's crazy about makeup and there isn't a place in the bathroom that is not occupied by something pink, sparkly or flower-scented. Our relationship has become stronger since she's home again and we communicate better. My girl and I have agreed to be honest and talk about our feelings. She's also doing well in school and caught up quickly with the material she missed.

The moment I enter the house, I see my daughter curled on the couch hugging a pillow while sobbing. The TV is not on, so it can't be that she is crying over a sappy movie.

"Why are you crying? Are you sick? Are you hurt?" I kneel in front of her and brush her hair off from her face.

"I'm... Sorry... So... Sorry..." She says between sobs.

"What is going on? Why are you sorry? Ciara this is scaring me!"

Ciara moves the pillow away, and I see a plastic stick resting on the sofa. She grabs it and hands it to me with a trembling hand. It's a pregnancy test, and it is positive.

"Oh, Ciara..." That is all I manage to say. This whole situation is too familiar.

Almost 16 years ago, I was lying in my bed after baseball practice. My body ached after a brutal cage batting session but I enjoyed every minute. Always a procrastinator, I had a ton of homework to do, but didn't want to move a finger to make a start. I had been thinking about Noelle, my first girlfriend, my first everything. We had been together for four months and had sex as often as we could. Being a hormone-ridden teen back then, all I could think of is how she felt when we shared my bed, which was a messy situation since we were not sure what we were doing. It was then when my mother's screeching voice interrupted my blissful moment.

"OWEN!"

I startled and sat on my bed right when my door burst open. My mom looked at me with so much anger.

"Get your ass downstairs. NOW!"

"What happened? What did I do?" I hurried after her.

I took a peek into the living room and saw Noelle and her parents sitting on the couch. Noelle cried while her mom rubbed her arm. Her father stood up and grabbed me by my neck.

"You little bastard! You have ruined my daughter's life!"

He let me go when my mom got in between us and screamed at him. "Lay a finger again on him and I will have you thrown in jail!"

"I don't understand... Noelle, what is going on?"

Noelle's father paced the room to avoid being near me. My mother is a judge and crossing her is never beneficial for anyone. My girlfriend wouldn't even look at me, and with a trembling hand gave me a white plastic stick. I felt totally confused about what that had to do with me ruining her life.

"What is this?" I asked while looking at a tiny window with a cross in it.

"It's a pregnancy test, you moron! She is pregnant!" Her father said.

My mom looked as if she was the one wanting to grab me by the neck. It felt as if I was looking at everything and everyone through glass. Noelle was pregnant... Noelle had a baby in her belly... My baby, I would be a father! I was only 14 years old, and would turn 15 in a couple of months. Dad was traveling for work on that week and I felt more scared of how he would take the news than the fact that I would become a father.

"Noelle? Is this true? Are we having a baby?" I asked her in a low voice while kneeling in front of her.

"Owen... I don't... Want it. I want... To get rid... Of it..." She said between sniffles while finally looking at me with so much hatred. "You did this... To me."

That part I understood immediately. She wanted to kill my baby.

"No, Noelle, please. It's my baby too."

My mom's anger turned into concern and her voice came out soft. "Owen, do you want to raise a baby by yourself? Do you really understand what that entails? You'll be giving up your freedom," I could only nod.

"Noelle will get rid of that thing, if that is what she wants!" Her father said.

"Owen is the father and has as much right over that child as she. If she doesn't want the baby, then fine! We will take care of her," my mom said clearly.

It was then when I cried. Tears of gratitude to my mom for standing up for me among the circumstances.

"We will pay any costs incurred while Noelle is pregnant. After the baby is born, she can sign the full custody to me as Owen is still a minor."

And eight months later, when I was fifteen years old, I held a tiny pink bundle in my arms who grew up to become a young woman who now hands me a positive pregnancy test.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

3.7M 130K 91
No one deserves to be stuck in a complicated love triangle with their arranged husband and his girlfriend, especially not Kyra Casella, a broken youn...
547K 17K 65
Why are you doing this?" I whispered, my head dropped to the floor as the floor began to blur with my tears. "Pardon?" "Please stop, Khyson." "Ms...
4.6M 107K 31
THIS IS ONE OF MY FIRST BOOKS ON WATTPAD. "Get out", he shouted at me "get out now and never come back" I wiped at the tears that were streaming dow...
16.9M 375K 28
After a drunken night out leads to a one night stand with her smoking hot best friend, Maya can't help giving in to temptation again and again. But a...