Love In Design

By moudenes

After years trying to break through with their work at The Image Factory, a team of graphic designers gets hi... More

Chapter 1 - Students
Chapter 2 - Colleague
Chapter 3 - First Day
Chapter 4 - News
Chapter 5 - Father
Chapter 6 - Late Night
Chapter 7 - Broken
Chapter 8 - Return
Chapter 9 - Date
Chapter 10 - Past
Chapter 11 - Search
Chapter 12 - Forgiveness
Chapter 13 - Heartbroken
Chapter 14 - Trip
Chapter 16 - Client
Chapter 17 - Problem
Chapter 18 - Secret
Chapter 19 - First Love
Chapter 20 - Pain
Chapter 21 - Arrest
Chapter 22 - Nap
Chapter 23 - Surprise
Chapter 24 - Guest
Chapter 25 - Love
Chapter 26 - Nightmare
Chapter 27 - Stranger
Chapter 28 - Parents in Law
Chapter 29 - Two
Chapter 30 - Goodbye
Chapter 31 - Limit
Chapter 32 - Away
Chapter 33 - Unexpected
Chapter 34 - Switch
Chapter 35 - Hope
Chapter 36 - Father
Chapter 37 - Disappointment
Chapter 38 - Baseball
Chapter 39 - Hero
Chapter 40 - Impressions
Chapter 41 - Home
Chapter 42 - Last Fight
Chapter 43 - Danger
Chapter 44 - Help
Chapter 45 - Grateful
Chapter 46 - Celebrations
Chapter 47 - Family
Chapter 48 - Ten Years

Chapter 15 - Miracle

1.1K 98 7
By moudenes

KALEY

David and I spent a good part of the evening looking up information online about risk pregnancies. We even found a practice which specializes in people like me and have appointments until early in the evening. That way, I won't have to make up excuses to Elvam and Zack as to where I'm going in the middle of the day. I will call during the lunch break for an appointment and hopefully they can see me soon. David's enthusiasm is contagious and I want to believe that it could happen, but I don't want to fall in love with the idea of having a baby to then get my heart broken again. If my body gets the pregnancy to term, it will probably be my only chance to become a mother.

I'm looking forward to seeing David, even though he left for work an hour ago. He kept me calm through the evening and reassured me this morning he will be there for me no matter what happens. As I walk inside, I find him sitting at his desk and typing fast while sporting a scowl. Owen laughs as Zack tells him something I can't hear. What's going on?

"Hey, there is the little liar!" Zack smiles wickedly.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"This time, you can't deny it. I saw you with my own eyes. How was your date with Nathan?" He asks in a syrupy voice.

"I haven't been on a date with Nathan."

"See? You are lying Kaley, I saw you on Saturday at the food court with him, and then you guys went to the movies. Quite cheap for a date in my opinion."

I'm speechless and furious. This annoying bastard, who is supposed to be my best friend, is twisting the truth in front of my boyfriend. Elvam and Nathan come inside and stop at the tense atmosphere.

"Hey Nathan, weren't you at the movies with Kaley on Saturday?" Zack asks him over my shoulder.

"Yeah, we went to the movies. How do you know?"

The timing couldn't be worse. We were not on a date and I can't explain to David what happened without causing suspicion. My boyfriend stands up from his desk, keys in his hand and says something to Elvam before leaving.

"Where is David going?" I ask Elvam.

"He needs to run errands. Guys, what's happening?"

"Kaley went on a date on Saturday with Nathan. She's denied for so long that there's something between them and now I have proof," Zack says with a triumphant smile.

"Wait, we were not on a date," Nathan says. "Kaley was at the food court and I joined her at her table as I couldn't find anywhere to sit. While talking, we found out that we were going to the same movie, but it wasn't planned. It was all coincidence."

"Thank you, Nathan! I hope you are fucking happy Zack! Thanks for ruining my day," I turn and leave the studio.

I need to call David and explain it all. With the events of last night, I never got to tell him about what I did in the past days. He must think I'm playing him and that isn't true. As I get in my car, I dial his phone number but it goes straight away to voicemail.

"David, everything is a big misunderstanding. Please call me back. I never went on a date with Nathan. Remember, you are my only choice," I say desperately into the messaging service.

A big wave of nausea hits me and my breakfast makes it to the parking lot. When I feel well enough, I drive towards David's house and on the way there I call Nathan.

"Nathan, don't say it's me. Can you talk?"

"Sure, let me go outside," he whispers. I hear some rustling noises on the line, and then the soft whoosh of cars. "I didn't understand what happened before you left."

"Zack has this unhealthy obsession that I have feelings for you. I mean, you are an attractive guy and all, but the truth is that I'm in a relationship."

"Why don't you tell him? He will stop assuming stuff."

"Because I'm David's girlfriend, and you have seen how well they get along."

"David? Our David?"

"Yes, we've been together for over a month now."

"Oh, shit! Oh, my fucking timing! I said we went to the movies when David was there, but he didn't hear when I said we were not on a date. I'm so sorry, Kaley. I will set things straight with him, I swear. Do you think I come by you guys after work?"

"I think it will be okay. I'll text you the address. Please, not a word of this to anybody."

"I won't. See you later."

DAVID

Did she cheat on me? I keep telling myself over and over that this can't be true, but Zack saw them and Nathan confirmed they were together. Why did this happen when I was enjoying the happiest day of my life? I feel so betrayed right now that I don't want to hear the message she left. Have they been planning this behind my back? Waiting for me to go out of town for a couple of days to spend time together. Nathan... Little shit. After everything I have done for him.

The things I have to do will take me most of the day, so luckily, I won't have to go back to the studio to see any of them. What I wonder is if she will come to the house after work. Probably now that the truth is out, she will grab her stuff and leave. Just when I thought life was rewarding me for my misery, it just throws salt on my wounds. I only hope that if the pregnancy goes without problems that she lets me see my kid.

Kaley's car is parked at my house. I touch the hood, and it feels cold. She came in a while ago. Inside, I don't hear noises. I feel so exhausted after everything that has happened. My appetite has abandoned me and all I want is a hot shower and my bed. I find Kaley right on that bed sleeping while curled on her side. She wears my favorite sweatshirt and a pair of leggings. She's here and all her belongings are in the usual place, and further there are no signs of her wanting to leave. As I sit next to her, she opens her eyes and gets startled at my sight.

"Thanks God you are here. I called you several times."

"I know. I wasn't ready to talk then."

The moment is interrupted by the doorbell. I rise from the bed, and she follows me. Nathan stands outside and anger rushes through my veins. I keep it under control for the sake of Kaley and her pregnancy.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to explain. I know about your relationship with Kaley."

Kaley nods when I look at her behind me and I step aside to let him in. He stands awkwardly in the living room, and I motion for him to take a seat. Kaley heads to the kitchen, and a moment later I hear the coffee maker.

"Kaley and I didn't go on a date. You need to believe me," he lets out a big sigh. "I was at the food court and couldn't find a seat. I asked her if I could sit with her. She agreed, and while talking, we learned that we were going to the same movie. We didn't even sit together. There was a giant tub of popcorn in the seat between us. Two colleagues watching a movie by coincidence. Zack jumped to conclusions."

Suddenly, I feel all the stress of the day disappear. Kaley carries a tray with two cups of coffee into the living room and I take it from her.

"No carrying stuff," I whisper and wink at her.

"You fit well together," Nathan says while looking at our exchange.

"She makes me the happiest man in the world," I place a cup of coffee in front of Nathan and the other in front of me.

"No coffee for you?" Nathan asks Kaley.

Her body tenses, but the movement is subtle.

"I don't feel like it right now. Anyway, I'm more into tea. Would you like to join us for dinner?" She smiles sweetly at him.

"Sounds tempting, but I will head home. I need to make dinner for my mom."

"How is she doing?" I ask and Kaley gives me a curious look. I've never told her that I know what is going on in Nathan's life.

"Not great, she's still drinking. I'm having trouble figuring out how she's sneaking booze in the house. She must be tricking somebody into buying cooking wine and sherry for her as groceries. In her state, even a small amount is too much."

"And did you find out more information about the nursing home?"

"Yeah, but it's not affordable. Living with her can be frustrating at times, but most days are fine. I still feel comfortable enough to go out when I want to."

Kaley listens to our exchange in silence and I'm sure I will have to dish all details later.

"Thanks, guys. Again, I'm sorry for all that happened. Hopefully, the rest of the week will be better," he stands up to leave.

After Nathan leaves, I walk to Kaley and hold her in my arms. "I'm so sorry. I will never doubt you again."

"It's Zack's fault and no one else's. He needs to chill the fuck off. Let's not think about this anymore. I made an appointment with the obstetrician in two weeks and hopefully everything will still be okay with me. Would you like to come with me?"

"Of course."

Two weeks seems like ashort time or an eternity, depending how you look at it. I need to keep Zackaway from Kaley as much as possible to ensure we make it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 14.6K 9
*Officially published by Black Velvet Seductions* *Previously featured by Wattpad* "Laryssa Mitchell is one of the lucky ones. The death of her abusi...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

239K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
176K 5.3K 30
|||| COMPLETED |||| Highest rank on what's hot list: #2- heartbreak #2- betrayal #2- billionaire #2- relationships #6- lovestory #13- love #27- se...
16.9M 375K 28
After a drunken night out leads to a one night stand with her smoking hot best friend, Maya can't help giving in to temptation again and again. But a...