Strength

By fiftyslays

Nia and the gang are all grown up. You should read Soft before you read this book. More

Introduction
.prologue.
Featured Cast.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
9.1
10.
11.
11.1
11.2
Y'all
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
16.1
16.2
16.3
17.
18.
18.1
Nominations
18.2
19
20.
21.
22.1
22.2
22.3
23.
24.
25.
26.
26.2
26.3
27.
28.
29.
30.
30.1
30.2
30.3
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.

18.3

16K 1.2K 727
By fiftyslays

Excuse any mistakes. Shiloh and Travis in the mm.

Compton, LA
Later that evening..

"I will be great. It's inevitable. Don't mark my words but instead mark this affirmation for yourself. Let's be great together."

Kourtney

The car is silent as Zeke and Shiloh are riding to Travis's apartment. The only thing that can be heard is the music playing on the radio.

"You're quiet." Zeke speaks up.

Shiloh tears his eyes from the window and looks over at Zeke.

"Not everyday I'm bringin' a multimillionaire to Compton." Shiloh says.

Zeke shrugs his shoulder slightly, glancing at Shiloh. "Nothing I'm not used to."

"Where are you from again?"

    "Chicago." Zeke responds as he looks down at his phone. "Southside. Englewood."

Shiloh looks at him. "Oh. I thought you was some rich black kid who grew up in money."

     Zeke laughs and shakes his head. He looks up from his phone to look at Shiloh. "My mother was strung out on crack. My dad was a sinful pastor and it was five of us living in a two bedroom house. Smack dead in the hood. Far from the rich black kid who grew up in money."

Shiloh cringes. "My fault."

    "Nah." Zeke smiles a little. "As you can see, I made it out."

"Any childhood friends?"

     Zeke looks ahead while the driver continues to drive. "It was four of us. I was kind of the follower. Just tryna fit in. Leon, Calvin and Omar.
Friends since kindergarten. Leon was the ring leader. Cal was second in command. Omar was like me. Just tryna find his way."

Shiloh shifts in his seat. "Where are they now?"

     A brief silence took over before Zeke continued. "One night, we were supposed to go hang out at a local burger joint. We was young, maybe 13 or 14. Anyway, earlier that day, I overheard Leon say that we was gonna rob it. Up until that point, I had done whatever he wanted. That was my boy, I had his back. But, I made a choice to stay home that night."

Zeke looks over at Shiloh. "The owner had a shotgun. He shot Leon in the chest, Omar in the back and Calvin in his abdomen." He pauses. "They're dead."

      Shiloh's body tenses up. "Damn. I mean dang." He corrects himself. "I'm sorry 'bout that."

Zeke looks back down at his phone. "Leon and Calvin, weren't my real friends. They didn't care about me. Omar, maybe. While I mourn sometimes, and this may sound harsh, but I didn't lose anyone of value."

    Shiloh doesn't say anything. It did sound harsh, but he could see where Zeke was coming from.

"Why you say they wasn't ya friends?"

      "I wanted better. For me, for them. While I was trying to think of ways to get out, even at that age, they were trying to find ways to stay in. They didn't want better for me or themselves." Zeke explains.

Shiloh nods. "Trav the brother I never had. We go back, like when we was in diapers. Trav taught me how to ride a bike. Showed me how to get girls. I taught him how to fight."

    "Sounds like a good friend. History, always important."

"Yea ion want nobody thinkin' he a bad dude. He  not." Shiloh says.

     "He's just a product of his environment." Zeke finishes for him and Shiloh nods his head. "Just like you. Your circumstances made you do things I'm sure you're not proud of. But, Shiloh, there comes a time when we want better. Do you think Travis do? Or is he complacent?"

Shiloh shrugs. "We'll see."

    The truck slowly comes to a halt. Zeke looks to see that they are outside of the apartment complex.

He places his phone into his pocket and looks at Shiloh. "As my wife said, prepare for a rejection."

    "I don't need to." Shiloh says before getting out of the truck.

Zeke lets out a sharp breath before getting out as well. Some of the residents were out, obviously being nosey. An expensive vehicle appears in the hood and everyone needs to know who's in it.

     Zeke looks around as he follows Shiloh up a flight of stairs. He gives the residents a polite smile, sticking his hands into his pockets.

He could hear babies crying and mamas fussing. The memories of his own childhood neighborhood reappeared.

     Oddly, it made him smile.

"Damn, he fine as hell." He hears one woman say.

     "Ain't it? He got money too. You see that truck. Wonder how Truth kno' him. Must be a new drug dealer."

Shiloh shakes his head at the nosey women and appears in front of Travis's door. He bangs on it before glancing at Zeke, who's now leaning on the rail.

    When there's no answer, Shiloh bangs again. "I'm comin!" A lady's voice yells.

Shiloh takes a step back as the door swings open. A frail lady appears, and smiles as her eyes lands on Shiloh. "Truth, wassup? Whea you been?"

    "Around. Is Trav hea?"

The lady looks at Zeke then back at Shiloh. "Who that? He got some on 'em?"

    Shiloh shakes his head. "He ain't no drug dealer, Harmony. Is Trav home or what?"

Harmony keeps her eyes on Zeke as she calls Travis's name. Zeke looks at her through his shades, unmoved by her flirtatious looks. Seconds later, Travis appears shirtless with a pair of shorts on.

   It looks like he's just waking up from a nap. "Gone ma, I got it." He pushes his mother out of the way, shaking his head. A smile appears on his face as he sees Shiloh. "Wassup nigga? I thought yo ass got kidnapped or some."

Shiloh laughs. "Nah. He still livin' here?"

   "Who? Ya step pops?" Shiloh nods. "Hell yeah his fat ass still here. Where y'all at?" Travis looks over at Zeke. "And why he here?"

"To help." Shiloh looks at Travis. "Naomi's parents wanna help us get out this dump."

"They don't kno' me." Travis says without looking away from Zeke.

Zeke walks up to the door, extending his hand. "I'm Zeke Ingram." Travis looks down at his hand before folding his arms across his chest. "Good, I hate shaking hands anyway. Listen, Shiloh came here to bring you with him. My wife has programs to help families like yours."

    Travis scoffs and shakes his head. "Bruh what? I ain't no charity case. Shiloh ain't either." He looks over at Shiloh. "You think they care? They don't. They just tryna look good."

Zeke glances at Shiloh. Shiloh sighs out of frustration.

   "Don't do this Trav. They gonna help us. Help us get better housing, better schools. I mean look at Harmony. She gettin' worse."

Travis lights his blunt before taking a hit and blowing the smoke into Zeke's face. Zeke smiles before taking a step back.

    "I ain't goin' nowhere. Snobby ass rich kids and rich people in general. That rich bitch got yo nose wide open." Travis shakes his head in disgust.

Zeke steps closer to Travis and grinds his teeth. "That rich bitch is my daughter. So, watch your mouth." He looks at him. "And she happens to have two fathers."

     "Why you provin' them right?" Shiloh asks. "I been defendin' you. And you provin' everybody right."

"Truth, we can get out. We don't need they help. You think Nia actually care 'bout you. She feel sorry for you nigga. You too blind to see that."

     Shiloh laughs bitterly. "If that was truth, it's 'bout time somebody felt sorry for me." He says before walking away.

Zeke and Travis watches as he walks down the stairs. Zeke looks back at Travis and shakes his head.

   "You were right." He says.

Travis looks at him in state of confusion. "Right?"

   "Yea." Zeke nods. "You were right. I don't care about you. My wife cares more than I do. This is her thing. I don't care for people who make things harder for themselves. Selfish people. I am the snobby rich asshole."

Travis doesn't say anything which makes Zeke continue.

  "It's a shame. You're gonna die in this shit hole." He motions around them. "And Shiloh is gonna live his life. Then he's gonna forget about you. Eventually."

    Travis blows smoke in Zeke's face again. "If I was you, I'd get the fuck away from me."

Zeke snatches the blunt from his lips and throws it on the ground, stepping on it. "If you gonna be some big time kingpin, at least smoke some good shit." Zeke shakes his head.

    "You don't kno' me."

"I thought we already established that I don't care and I don't care to get to know you." Zeke looks at him. "But I care about Shiloh and he actually gives a damn about you. So I'm giving you facts. You either find them resourceful or not."

     Travis looks at him, flexing his jaw muscles. "You are the snobby rich asshole."

Zeke shrugs. "My wife didn't like me when we first met. Now she loves me. I don't give a shit about what anyone else thinks."

    Zeke starts to walk away. "Zeke." Travis calls out.

Zeke turns around. "Mr. Ingram to you."

      "Mr. Ingram." Travis mumbles. "Sorry for callin' Nia a bitch."

Zeke shakes his head. "Don't be sorry, Travis. Be careful. Cause if another person try me, Ima become that asshole from Chicago. I left him a long time ago, but I'll bring him back."

     Travis goes back in the apartment and closes the door. Zeke walks down the stairs with a scowl on his face.

"Hey handsome." The woman from earlier speaks.

    "Hello." He speaks back but continues walking towards the truck. The driver opens the door and he slides into the backseat.

"What he say?" Shiloh asks as the door is shut closed.

    "Nothing." Zeke responds and sends a quick text to Naomi. Shiloh shakes his head and looks out of the window. "Shiloh, I'm not sure what Travis is gonna decide. He probably already made a final decision. But like I told him, I don't care. Who I do care about is Nia and if you break her heart, we're going to have major issues."

"Meaning?"

    Zeke looks over at him with a grave expression. "Meaning.. you need to put the other foot in the door. And close it."

NYC
Friday

    Naomi allows Marion to put the final touches to her outfit while she finalizes things for Saint's birthday party. Since she was in New York this week, she promised him that they would celebrate his birthday when she gets back to LA.

"I really enjoy the space theme. We can get galaxy chocolate cupcakes." Naomi suggests.

"You just want chocolate cupcakes." Remy says before putting a bottle of Hennessy to her lips and drinking it.

"That's also true." Naomi admits.

"I'm gonna divorce Amir." Rayne drunkenly blurts out. "I'm—I'm gonna do it."

Naomi rolls her eyes at her two drunk best friends and looks at Marion. "See what I go through?"

"I just wanna get laid, girl." Marion shakes his head, and pokes her breast.

"Marion." Naomi slaps his hand away. "Are you gay or not?" She laughs.

"Right now." He looks at the three women extensively. "I think I've been delivert."

"He's funny." Remy snorts.

"She looks like a wild one in the bedroom." Marion whispers to Naomi.

Naomi leans in. "She is."

Marion gasps and looks at Naomi. "Naomi, you naughty woman."

"I'm gonna call Amir." Rayne reaches for her phone. Naomi jumps up and removes it from her reach.

"No, you're gonna lay your drunk ass down."

Rayne mocks her under her breath. "I'm a functional drunk."

"Obviously." Remy says sarcastically. Suddenly her phone rings and she answers without looking to see who it was. "Dr. Lotus-Solomon." She greets.

"Her white girl voice." Rayne snickers.

"It's a habit, Keegan. And you are calling my work phone." Remy says. "Oh, my other phone is dead." She laughs as if it were funny. "Put her on the phone please."

Naomi looks at Remy and watches as her demeanor changes when she starts talking to María.

"I'll be home soon baby girl. Be good for Daddy. I know he's emotional and we're not." She jokes. "Te extraño. Te amo."

Naomi smiles, happy that her friend was able to experience motherhood. It kind of soften her a bit. Not by much, but just enough.

"I miss him." Rayne says causing Naomi to look at her.

She walks over to the couch and takes a seat. Placing Rayne's head into her lap, she rubs Rayne's hair and nods.

"I know baby girl."

Rayne begins to cry while Naomi attempted to keep her tears at bay. "What did I do wrong?"

"Can I be honest or do you want me to be cliché?" Naomi asks.

"Honest."

Naomi sighs softly and moves a string of hair out of Rayne's face. "You loved unconditionally." She says. "In theory, it sounds right. It sounds good. But, you can't. There has to be boundaries. Your love has to come with conditions. It protects you from this pain while still giving you the ability to love."

Rayne looks up at her quietly, mulling over the words.

    "So, you're saying it's my fault?"

Naomi shakes her head. "Don't put words into my mouth love."

    Rayne sighs, and nods. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." Naomi smiles. "Amir cheating is his own personal problem. I'm simply saying that you allowed some things to happen that you usually don't tolerate. Because you loved without conditions."

    "I'm sober." Rayne snorts.

Naomi joins in with her laughter. "Welcome back. So, do you still want to call Amir?"

   "No ma'am." Rayne sits up, and looks at Remy. "That bitch gone."

Naomi looks over at Remy who is slumped over in the chair. "She really enjoys her time away from her family."

    "I need to be more like her." Rayne says.

"Same. But, I'm the glue." Naomi looks at Rayne.
"Those kids will drive Zeke insane."

"Good." Rayne smirks. "Have Nia and the gang made it yet? The show starts in an hour."

     Naomi looks at her watch. "They should be on their merry way."

Just then, the door swings open and Nia walks in with a pair of blue patterned, wide legged pants and a white crop top. A pair of sunglasses resided on her face and her hair flowed down her back.

     "Naomi Jr." Rayne looks at her.

"Please don't ever in life put me on a flight with them again." Nia says dramatically, sitting her purse on the couch.

    "Who?" Rayne asks.

Nia hugs them both and points towards the door. Adrian, Shiloh, Mara, Roman, Miyah and Mariyah walks through the door, loudly talking.

    "Damn, can a bitch get some sleep around here?" Remy says as she wakes up.

Nia smiles at her. "TeTe."

    "Girl, get away." Remy waves her off. "I'm drunk and I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible."

Nia playfully rolls her eyes. "Where's Zeke?" Naomi asks.

    "Some lady was trying to tackle him in the lobby." Mariyah says as she plops down on the couch and crosses her legs.

"I think she got him." Mara adds.

     "Nothing Unc can't handle." Adrian hugs everyone.

"How are you?" Naomi pulls away to look at him.

    "I'm fine." Adrian keeps it vague and gives her a smile. "Ready to meet these east coast women. I'm a grown man now."

"Nigga please." Remy blurts out with her eyes still closed. "Still have Similac behind your ears."

    "Hey to you too Auntie." Adrian laughs.

"Hmm." Rayne hums, and looks at Shiloh. "I have never seen you before so I'm assuming you're the Shiloh guy that has my niece twirling her hair."

     "This is my TeTe Rayne." Nia looks at Shiloh. "The crazy one."

"You have a sister?" Shiloh asks Naomi.

      "Blood couldn't make us any closer." Naomi and Rayne says at the same time.

Shiloh nods her head. "Nice to meet you Ms. Rayne."

    "Please call me Rayne. I'm not old." Rayne looks at him. "Have you ever been close to death?"

Shiloh looks at Nia then back at Rayne. "Nah."

     "Well, fuck with this one." She points at Nia. "I'll help you meet your maker."

"Same!" Remy blurts out. "I shoot and ask questions later."

   Naomi shakes her head. "And that's my other sister, Remy."

"I've heard about her." Shiloh whispers. "She's 12."

     "Fuck me, huh?" Remy's eyes were open and she glares at him. Adrian snorts and so does Roman.

"Nah, nah. Nia told me alot about you and you kinda badass." Shiloh explains.

     Remy gets up and walks over to him. "Kinda?" She lifts up her eyebrows. Shiloh swallows his spit, looking for a way out.

"Remy, stop scaring the boy." Naomi laughs.

    "I'm just kidding." Remy rolls her eyes. "Nice to meet you Shiloh. I'm not kidding about helping you meet your maker though. I don't play about my godchildren."

"Okay, you all need to shower and get dressed. Zeke should have your rooms by now and Adrian, leave the models alone today." Naomi says.

    "Where's Khalil?" Rayne asks.

"Babysitting." Roman laughs.

    "How's everything?" Remy walks over to him and looks at his wound. "Still hurt?"

"Yeah, somewhat." Roman says.

    "Remember when I first got shot." Remy mumbles to herself.

"I bet you cried like a baby." Adrian blurts out.

    Remy looks over at him. "Actually, I didn't know I'd gotten shot. I went the entire day and I got home, went to take a shower and bam. A gun wound appeared."

"Badass." Miyah mumbles.

     The door opens and Zeke walks through the door. "Here are the keys. Please get out so I can have my wife to myself."

"Rude." Rayne mugs him.

    "Hello my beautiful sister who is ignoring her brothers' calls." Zeke smiles at her. "Any reason for that?"

Rayne looks away and shakes her head. "No."

    "Great, I need a shower." Nia grabs her key and walks out of the room. The rest of the crew does the same and the grown ups are left in the room.

"Ascaria, Adonis, Scarlett, and Amir are downstairs." Zeke announces.

    "Amir??" The three women say at the same time.

Zeke looks at them weirdly. "Yea? Why wouldn't he?"

    "I'll be back." Rayne gets up and walks out of the room.

"Well, I'ma go to my room so you can get laid brother." Remy pats Zeke's shoulder then suddenly squeezes it causing him to yell slightly.
"What is this I hear about you doing nude pictures?" She grits through her teeth.

     "Remy, my shoulder is gonna fall off." Zeke looks up at her.

"Good now answer the damn question." She squeezes harder.

   "It was a mistake." Zeke looks at Naomi, who is leaning against the wall. "I'm sorry. I've apologized all week."

Remy lets him go and smacks the back of his neck. "You niggas better get it together." She says before leaving the room.

    Zeke shakes his head and looks at Naomi. "Rem is nuts."

Naomi laughs and nods her head. "She is. And I love it."

     Zeke gets up and walks over to Naomi, moving his shoulder around to numb the pain. "Can we have makeup sex now?"

"As much as I would like to hear and watch, Naomi has to get to the venue. She's the host." Marion appears from the other room, dressed in a silk Gucci suit.

    Naomi looks at Zeke and smiles. "Duty calls."

I know y'all missed me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 281 10
a series of rarely updated imagines where i shall tap into your inner desires. so relax and welcome to crush on you.
92.5K 4.6K 31
"True blue it's tight like glue..." A love story...โ™ฅ๏ธ
3.2K 237 16
"'๐™ฒ๐šŠ๐šž๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š ๐š’๐š๐š‘ ๐š–๐šŽ ๐š”๐š—๐š˜๐š  ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐šŒ๐š˜๐šž๐š•๐š ๐š๐š˜ ๐š๐šŠ๐š–๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ" --๐™ท.๐™ด.๐š.