Soufflés and Stars [Whouffle...

By cosmicchelc

I assume you most likely know me because of my "Soufflés That Got Burnt" one shot book. Those stories were al... More

Pizza Delivery [Whouffle]
The Straight Faced Science Boy [Whouffaldi]
My Angel [Whouffle]
Do You Know What I Want? [Whouffaldi, slight bit of Whouffle]
Impossible? Ah, Screw It. [Slight Whouffle, Allonswin and Tenrose]
I Don't Care How You Look [Whouffaldi]
Cat Issues [Whouffle]
Savior of The Universe, Taken Away From Him [Whouffaldi]
Prom and Memories [Whouffle]
Piano Keys [Whouffaldi]
Life Goes On, She Stops [Whouffle]
Her Professor and His Student [Slight Whouffaldi]
Picturesque [Whouffle]
I Would Let Go. But I Can't. [Smoleman]
Dear Clara... [Whouffaldi]
Meet My Friend (Part 1) [Whouffle]
Her Weaknesses [Implied Whouffle and Whouffaldi]
Mating Season [Whouffle *smut??*]
Here Comes a Thought [Whouffaldi]
Crossing Paths [Whouffle & Slight Whouffaldi]
Be My Valentine [Whouffle]
A Taste of The Past [Allonswin and Whouffle] ft. my friend
A Car Ride Down The Dark [Whouffle]
Breathe, I'm Here [Whouffle]
I Forget [Whouffle]
A Beautiful Melody [Whouffle]
This Is How It Ends [Whouffaldi]
A Doctor of People [Whouffle]
Sleeping Cycles [Whouffle]
More Time [Whouffaldi]
Black Coffee [Whouffle]
One Last Hurrah [Whouffaldi]
The Hand Holding Experiment [Whouffaldi]
The Hand Holding Experiment Pt. 2 [Whouffaldi]
To Be Closer [Whouffaldi]
In Poetry [Whouffaldi]
Wilted Flowers [Whouffle if you squint]
Last Night [Whouffaldi]
Suppression of Words [Whouffaldi]
The Muse [Whouffaldi]
A Bit of a Dip [Whouffaldi]
Phone Call [Whouffaldi]
Flowers for Miss Oswald [Whouffaldi]
Patronus [Whouffle]
This Disease Called Love [Whouffaldi]
The Start of Something New [Whouffle]
Star-Crossed Lovers [Whouffaldi, rated M]
To Remember [Whouffaldi]
Forgotten Coordinates [Whouffaldi]
To The Keys [Whouffaldi]
Limerence [Whouffaldi]
Everything You've Always Wanted [Whouffaldi Snippet]
Starry Night Dreaming [Whouffaldi]
So Close [Implied Whouffaldi, Thirteen x Clara Present]
Four Times a Charm [Whouffle-ish]

The Hand Holding Experiment Pt. 3 [Whouffaldi]

123 6 6
By cosmicchelc

I had though this would only be three parts, but I ended up giving a cliff hanger. I am so sorry! Enjoy, though. There will be one last part, I swear.

 Hobbiton, by the way, is in New Zealand. Look it up if you don't know what it is!

--

The Doctor finally concluded that experiment one hundred and twelve would be the successful one.

He landed on the planet of Liefde, after enough hours for Clara to recuperate from whatever she may be doing. He did enough calculations to settle on a hand holding position and Liefde was a planet that was mainly known for their telepathy, something he was well versed in and could explain to her with gusto and amaze her, as he usually did. The Doctor was sure Clara would enjoy the telepathic waterfalls, which would settle on what her mind was thinking and create beautiful images. Being a seasoned time and space traveler, the Doctor was also sure it would be a beautiful display.

The TARDIS, at that moment, decided to come out and once again give him the talk, but using a hologram. The old girl had used one of his regrets, Donna Noble, on display. Not that he regretted any second with the wonderful temp from Chiswick, of course not, it was just the idea of what he had done to her. Which was probably why the TARDIS was using her image.

"Why are you doing this?" The hologram demanded. He flinched slightly at the sound of her voice.

"Why are you in the image of Donna?" He fired back.

"You erased Donna Noble's memory. You did it to save her life. What life are you saving here?" The image of Donna crossed her arms, glaring. It was hard to not look at her, the wonderful woman who had become the Doctor Donna. The woman who should have had many more adventures with him, but couldn't. She forgot him, but he never forgot her.

"I thought I had told you not to come unless I had asked." He muttered, continuing more calculations on his chalkboard. "And I thought we went over this! If this does not work, I will tell her directly!"

"Or if it was an emergency." The TARDIS added on and the Doctor scowled. The image of Donna sighed, "I know you, Doctor. You will probably do the opposite and continue to run, just like you always do." With the Doctor's silence, the TARDIS continued, "You shouldn't be wiping Clara's mind like that."

"Since when did you start addressing her by her first name? Actually, since when did you even start to care about Clara? Last I heard, you were still moving her bedroom and doing things to frustrate her." The Doctor frowned and the image put it's hands on it's hips. Something Clara would do.

"We have grown to become friends. She is no longer a mystery. She is now what keeps you grounded." The image simply stated, then changed to the bow-tie clad mad man of his last regeneration. "Will you listen to your past incarnation?"

"I'm not listening to you." He said, putting more pressure onto his chalk as he wrote down the name of the waterfalls.

"Really then?" An invisible eyebrow raised ever so slightly, "Why have you become so selfish with your feelings? You know Clara loves and cares for you. Her mind is so open to me. She is lost and confused." A short pause and the room felt heavy. The image was staring at him, then finally said, "When she finds out, she will leave. She has her own free will."

The Doctor stayed silent. "Do you think she will forgive you?" The TARDIS pressed on, before finally becoming the form of Clara. Her dark brown curls just barely touching her shoulders. Even if the hologram had no scent, he could imagine the different scents she would have from the product in her hair. The hologram looked so real, the Doctor felt as though he could touch it, but he held himself back.

"Could you be a different form? Anything but her?" He requested. The hologram smiled slightly in victory, then returned back to an emotionless look.

"Was it for her own good?" Her voice sent a chill up his spine. The hologram blinked twice, but it's gaze never left him.

"Shut up." The Doctor finally said, the chalk in his hand snapping into two in the middle of him circling the words Telepathic Waterfalls on the chalkboard. His eyes pierced into the hologram of Clara, but the hologram was not a person; it stared, back, equally as hard, challenging him. He could imagine the fight they would have, it would probably be this.

"You know, you never really asked her. You erase her memory when she gets too close, or if you are too impatient. She has been here for two years; with your rate, she could be here for five. When will you finally stop?

"No, no, this one is going to be perfect, I assure you." The Doctor said, waving his hand dismissively. "I calculated every possible scenario and this just cannot fail."

"You call me a machine, yet you believe a specific set of variables will work when the uncertainty is always a factor." The Doctor clenched his fist around the chalk, allowing it to turn to bits and pieces, then to just mere dust. He tossed the dust to the side, walking down to the console.

"I'm always right," The Doctor said, "I know what I'm doing."

"No, Doctor, you do not. When will you ever listen to yourself?" The Doctor flipped some switches and forced the TARDIS interface to disappear. He could still hear the TARDIS' disappointed sounds, but he blocked them out.

He sighed and peered down at his hands, one was dusty white from the chalk. Why was it so easy for his previous incarnations to do this? It was just holding hands. He had loves and companions in the past who held hands with him. This shouldn't be a problem, but it was. Perhaps it was because his new set of regeneration made everything new to him, including the mere notion of holding hands. He clenched his fists tightly, enough for the knuckles to begin to turn white.

Experiment one hundred and twelve. Two years of calculations and much uncertainty, but he was sure he finally got it down. It would be perfect.

But to be fair, he's been saying that ever since experiment one.

--

Clara stumbled into the console room an hour later, wearing a maroon dress that was a bit short. She wore tights, boots, and her hair was up in a ponytail, but her bangs were still in her face. She looked like perfection to the Doctor's eyes, but he didn't have time to admire. He jumped from his platform and went about explaining everything of the planet, but noted that Clara was only half-listening. Her mind was clearly thinking of something else, but he continued on, pretending to be absolutely oblivious. He couldn't risk failing experiment one hundred and twelve. He took her hand in his and he swore she flinched, but ignored it. He opened the TARDIS doors and allowed her to take in the scenery.

It was kind of like Hobbiton, in New Zealand. The entire planet was covered head to toe with greenery and there were some people out and about. Most of them were the size of a small Oompa Loompa, the tallest one in the vicinity was to Clara's waist. They had pale blue skin, with antennas coming from their heads. Besides that, they looked fairly human.

The Doctor stepped out onto the grassy plains, but Clara stayed in.

"Clara?" The Doctor turned, suddenly looking nervous. Clara did her best to look the very definition of composed just as the Doctor did his best to hide his nerves. They were faking each other.

"Ah, I forgot something. I'll be right back." She closed the door on him, despite his look of shock, then called, "TARDIS interface, please." Just like before, the TARDIS interface came alive, this time, using the body of the Doctor as a way of communication. The TARDIS hologram stood in all his glory in front of the console, his perfect likeness captured by the TARDIS.

"Yes, Clara Oswald?"

"You told me he's messing with me. What is he doing?" Clara demanded and the hologram pointed towards the chalkboard, up on the second platform. Clara walked up the steps, coming to a stop at his chalkboard. She didn't think twice about the equations on the board, as usually, they were things Clara knew she wouldn't understand. This time, they were pure English rather than confusing words and symbols. "Wasn't this gibberish earlier?"

"I translated it for you, or rather, let your mind see what he sees when he writes like this." Clara's finger traced the words in his ever elegant scrawl. On the top of the chalkboard, it read 'Experiment 112.' He drew the planet to the side, with surprising detail for a piece of chalk, then listed characteristics, which were things he knew Clara liked. She had grown a liking for nature, something she didn't think he'd remember. Then hand holding plans, which was odd. Drawings of ways to hold hands were littered all around the chalkboard. If Clara didn't know any better, she'd say it was his obsession. There was no need for him to over analyze, however. She liked hand holding, but she didn't understand why all of this was all over his chalkboard. He didn't even like hugs. Her head ached once more at the words and drawings, for some odd reason. She clutched her head, frowning.

She could hear the curt knock on the doors and the Doctor's muffled words, "Why aren't you letting me in, old girl?"

"Look at the bottom edge. Confront him there." The hologram said, appearing right next to her and pointed to the specific area. Clara looked over and found words that were circled multiple times. 'Take her to the Telepathic Waterfalls.'

"Telepathic Waterfalls." Clara read, "Right. Thanks, TARDIS."

"Of course, Clara Oswald. It is our duty to protect and help the Doctor." The hologram disappeared at those words, rather than waiting for her instruction. Our duty? She must be in good graces with the TARDIS now. It was odd to hear the old girl be so familiar with her, but she shouldn't be complaining.

"Makes sense." Clara muttered, seeing her black purse on a jump seat, already prepared for her. She picked it up and with a nod, went back to the doors and opened them. She was met with a nervous and uncomfortable Doctor. His breathing was labored and he looked to her with anticipation. Clara noted how antsy he seemed to be, clutching onto the sides of the TARDIS. If the TARDIS wasn't a sentient box and could maintain shields, she wouldn't be surprised if the wood started to break under the pressure he was putting it. He was terrified.

"You took awhile." He noted.

"Sorry, the TARDIS hid my room again." She shot the TARDIS a fake irritated glance as she stepped out. The Doctor nodded warily, but didn't question it at all. He took her hand into his and took her around the plains of Liefde.

--

The Doctor didn't let her out of his sight all through the evening, since they still had to save the day. To the Doctor's irritation, they had to stop a civil war from occurring between the East and the West factions before he could even get close to Telepathic Waterfalls. It was a petty thing, involving the Prince of the East and his unhealthy obsession for the Princess of the West. The Princess loved him, regardless, but she was concerned about the Prince's unhealthy infatuation and brought it up during one banquet. The Prince took it personally -too personally to be called normal- and declared war. He was considered the King as the current reigning King was declining in health and his subjects didn't even ask. The Princess, terrified, had closed all borders between the East and West and interrupted all communication. She did not want to fight, as she did not want to hurt her love more.

The Doctor and Clara had then swooped in, stopped the fighting, and reminded the Prince of his love for the Princess and how there was a complete difference between love and obsession, which was mainly Clara's duty to do. The Prince had finally calmed down and was reunited with his love, the borders were opened, and the conflict was over. The Doctor had about had it with the interruptions and was ready to lead Clara straight to the Telepathic Waterfalls in order to save this outing, when the Prince came over to them. The creatures mainly spoke telepathically, but whenever Clara was near, they always used their mouths. The Doctor noted this, but decided it was just because she was human.

"Would it be possible to speak to your companion, Doctor?" The Prince asked. The Doctor looked down at the little creature, before complying. He muttered something along the lines of waiting outside as he let go of her hand hesitantly and left the room. Clara crouched down to the Prince and smiled shyly.

"Can I help you?" Clara asked. The Princess came to stand besides the Prince, taking ahold of his hand. The very image of them doing so felt like something was poking her head with a sharp stick. She winced slightly, but kept composure.

"I do not want you to take this the wrong way, Clara, but your mind is damaged and we would like to repay your help by helping you."

"I've been hearing that multiple times...from a telepathic ship and now your kind. What do you mean?"

"Ah, then your ship, which I assume is a TARDIS, can feel your torment. You may be suppressing it using your outward appearance, but you do not fool us. Your mind may be strong, from conditioning that nobody in our time would understand, but it is still loud for all of us to hear and we can feel that it is in pain. That is why you see us speaking and not using our telepathic powers in front of you. Even if did not prevent our civil war from escalating, we would not have wanted to give you such pain. No creature should ever have to feel it. Have you been receiving dreams, or perhaps flashbacks?" The little man inquired. Clara bit her lip, before finally nodding. The Princess and Prince looked to each other, then to her. "We may be able to help, to release the dam that he has built in front of the memories that are threatening to come out, but with your consent."

"What will it do, if you don't mind me asking?"

"it is very similar to a Timelord and his way of...poking through one's mind. We will tread carefully through and open the proper door," The Princess piped up, "We will not rush your mind with these memories, as they seem to be long and arduous from the pulsating we can feel from it. We will trickle these memories in and it will only take a moment. I would suggest you sit, however." Clara sat on a chair that was pushed to her. The Prince and Princess took this as a signal of consent and motioned for stools. They stood upon the mahogany stools and both took one three fingered hand and placed them on either side of Clara's temples. Her eyes grew heavy and in seconds, she fell onto the back of the armchair. The Prince and Princess followed in suit, falling into similar chairs given by the servants.

--

The Doctor was starting to get impatient.

It was just a talk, what the hell could they possibly be discussing? They had gotten the people of Liefde out of their predicament, the least they could do was just let them go into the Telepathic Waterfalls. He was getting quite antsy- the falls were quite spectacular during this time of day, so perhaps it was a good thing they did stop the conflict. He did land a tad bit early so Clara could take in the sights before the main attraction, but saving the day always took it away. He grimaced as he paced.

The little guard that stood in front of the door looked up to him and asked telepathically, "The falls are indeed lovely today."

Right, his walls were up, but his basic thoughts were still bleeding through. He stopped pacing and responded back, "So I have heard."

"Doctor, correct?" The little guard asked and the Doctor nodded, although he did not desire small talk. The guard was making an effort, but perhaps the pacing the Doctor was doing was starting to unnerve him.

"Quite so, yes. And you?"

"V, sir. Though, I am merely called Guard Seventy-Two."

"How many of you are there?" It was idle chat, he knew that.

"In the Princess' cabinet, there are about ten, same with the Prince's. The King and Queen of both respecting factions have twelve. The rest of us are just guards for different areas, like the throne room." He nodded and was about to think about how amazing their royalties have not changed for so long, as he did his research on them. He then realized his thoughts, or at least, his wavering thoughts, were not private and stopped himself.

It took him five minutes too late for it to dawn on him.

"V, why don't you speak telepathically when Clara is here with me?" The color on V's face drained and he shifted from foot to foot, holding onto his weapon just a little tighter. The Doctor knew the answer to the question, but he hoped he was wrong.

"She is merely human. We chose to speak with our mouths to make her feel comfortable. It is slightly jarring when you are spoken to through your head." The uncertainty in V's voice was enough for the Doctor to know his hypothesis was correct and he shifted to open the door. V blocked him from continuing. "Please, Doctor, I am just doing my job."

"What are they talking about in there?"

"I don't know sir, I just have to keep you in here. Please don't go in there." The Doctor ignored the cries of the guard and forced the doors open. The entire cabinet of government, that had been in witness to whatever was going on, turned to their direction. Clara and the royals had their back turned to him, but he didn't need to guess what their facial expressions were.

V walked meekly besides the Doctor, his head lowered in shame and sending out quick messages that he was sorry about his failure in keeping the Doctor out. Clara was straightening herself up slowly and the Prince and Princess did as well. The Princess and Prince glanced to one another, then turned and looked to the Doctor. Their expressions were unreadable.

For the first time in awhile, the Doctor felt exposed. He felt like he was being judged for his actions. Not that he didn't deserve it.

"Two years?" The Prince asked.

"For a silly experiment?" The Princess added.

"I was obsessed." The Prince muttered.

"But not like this." The Princess continued.

"Because you couldn't express your feelings?" The two said in unison. They sounded like the TARDIS and the Doctor grimaced, hands turning to fists to keep himself under control. He should have known, he should have caught the reasoning to why they didn't speak with their telepathic abilities. Her mind, to them, must have sounded like agony from all the forced blockage. He shouldn't have taken her here. He had thought the Telepathic Waterfalls would have helped him ease into explaining how much he felt about her. Experiment one hundred and twelve, a failure.

Unfortunately, this time, he didn't have the liberty of getting her to forget.

Clara chose to stand up at that time, her footing a little wobbly, but nonetheless, possible. She kept her face hidden from him using her hair. It wasn't until she was close enough that he truly saw his damage. Tears were streaming down her face, her makeup smeared all over. Her eyes looked confused, scared, and more importantly, downright furious. They had inflated ten fold and she was trembling, her lip also slightly quivering. He didn't even get a word in before her small palm met his pale skin with a loud slapping noise, echoing all around the room. The entire cabinet winced. It left a sting, but he deserved it.

Her voice had reduced to a small whisper, unlike the one that was filled with charisma and cheer that he was used to, with one word coming from her lips.

"Why?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 185 30
All is well for the paw patrol after what happened. But curioty gets the better of the pups and they ask to see more about sapphire's past and merpup...
117K 2.6K 52
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
100K 1K 7
These were originally for Anne (@leahahnehn)... but We can't be selfish, Can we? This is for those Eugene Lee Yang fangirls