The Cell Phone Swap

By DoNotMicrowave

Keeley accidentally swaps cell phones with a rivaling high school's star quarterback. Unable to switch back u... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 iLost My Phone
Chapter 2 iWish I Never Picked Up
Chapter 3 iThink I'm in Hell
Chapter 4 iAm Going To Kill Him
Chapter 5 iHave a Plan
Chapter 6 iAm So Frustrated
Chapter 7 iBelieve He's a Dog
Chapter 8 iHave a Bad Feeling
Chapter 9 iCall a Truce
Chapter 10 iThink The Apocalypse Is Here
Chapter 11 iNeed To Apologize
Chapter 12 iAm So Confused
Chapter 13 iDon't Understand
Chapter 14 iHave the Chicken Flu
Chapter 15 iMay Have Overreacted
Chapter 16 iDream of Zombies
Chapter 17 iHurt
Chapter 18 iLike Him
Chapter 19 iAm a Fool
Chapter 20 iCan't Forgive and Forget
Chapter 21 iAm Being Wooed
Chapter 22 iWas Branded
Chapter 23 iTrust Him
Chapter 25 iNeed To Talk
Chapter 26 iFinally Get Answers
Chapter 27 iAm Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Chapter 28 iWon't Take the Bait
Chapter 29 iCall Foul
Chapter 30 iHave a True Best Friend
Chapter 31 iAm Willing To Fight
Chapter 32 iSay Goodbye
Chapter 33 iMiss Those Days
Chapter 34 iReevaluate the Situation
Chapter 35 iDie of Embarrassment
Chapter 36 iWasn't Expecting You
Chapter 37 iLost Him
Chapter 38 iAm In Shock
Chapter 39 iWill Show Him
Chapter 40 iTake the Leap
Chapter 41 iAm Caught
Epilogue iAm Happy
Bonus: The Cell Phone Swap-Alternate Reality
Dear Santa
Getting Published!
Reading and Illustration Videos
Interview Videos with FanLaLa
Tap TCPS Stories

Chapter 24 iDread Family Game Night

2.5M 70.9K 43.9K
By DoNotMicrowave

Keeley's fingers tensed around her phone as the front door opened. She sent the text she'd been typing to Talon off before dropping it in her lap. Seconds later, Zach entered the family room and their eyes briefly met. To most people, a quick glance couldn't tell them much, but for the twins it spoke volumes. Since birth—maybe even in the womb—they were in tune with each other. It was as if they could read each other's mind.

When they were little, they use to play elaborate pranks on their babysitters. They could maneuver through the house and time their pranks perfectly without saying a word. Their dad aptly named the mental connection their "twin talk." More than one babysitter was freaked out by it. By the time they were ten, their parents were forced to pay triple the rate just to get a babysitter to consider it.

A lump formed in Keeley's throat as her brother broke their connection and looked away. She expected the anger—so hot it almost scalded her, but she hadn't anticipated what lay underneath. Hurt manifested itself into an open wound, so raw and throbbing, she felt her own soul ache in response.

Zach had always been a hot head. Even as a child his temper blew with the slightest provocation. However, underneath all that bluster was a kind heart. Growing up, Keeley had been introverted unless she was with her brother. When he was around, she felt safe and protected. Knowing that, Zach made sure to constantly be with her. He would hold her hand in big crowds and speak for her when she was too scared to talk.

It wasn't until she met Nicky that she started to come out of her shell and rely on her twin less and less. She always believed Zach was grateful for that small miracle. He was finally allowed to make friends and hang out with other boys his age. He never complained though. However, she knew down to the very core of her being, that if she had never met Nicky, he would have kept being her champion. That was why the pain swirling behind his eyes affected her so much. She hated knowing she was the cause.

"Sit and watch TV with us," her mom said from the couch, cuddling next to their father.

"I'm going to my room. I have homework."

"Sit." It wasn't a request this time. Tension hummed through the air as he shuffled toward Keeley and sat down.

"Isn't this nice? The whole family together."

Keeley's lips twitched at the pleasant words. They were completely ridiculous considering the situation. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Zach trying to hide his own smile. If they were on speaking terms, they would have made faces, silently poking fun at their mother. Instead they ignored each other, acting as though a barrier stood between them.

"Make sure to be home tomorrow," their mother continued. "We're going to have game night."

Zach spoke up. "Actually I have—"

"Cancel them."

"But—"

Her eyes latched onto him, narrowing as she said, "I have put it off for three weeks now. We're going to sit down as a family and have some fun. Am I understood?"

Zach nodded. They both knew not to disagree when their mother took that tone.

"Excellent and Keeley," she turned to look at her, "you can invite Talon over."

"What?!" Keeley and Zach shouted. Did their mom want to start World War III?

"I am tired of this nonsense between you two. You're siblings. I will not stand by and watch you drift farther and farther apart. Zach, it's time to bury the hatchet with that boy and get over this stupid rivalry."

"It's not stupid," Zach mumbled. He slouched into the couch, his face mustered up in defiance. "I don't see why I have to wave the white flag just because she's dating that jack—"

"Zach," their dad warned, cutting him off. "You don't have to be friends with him, but I expect you to be civil."

"Fine," he said after a pause, "but why does he have to come over here—to my house? Can't I be civil from a distance?"

"Your house? I didn't know it was your name on the mortgage." He turned to their mom. "Great news honey, we can quit our jobs because our son is going to start paying the bills."

"Oh good. I've wanted to take a vacation for a while now. Maybe Barbados? Or how about Puerto Rico? I've heard their beaches are lovely."

Zach's expression turned dour. "You're not funny."

"Really? Because I think we're hilarious."

"You know what I mean. I don't want him here in my space. It's not fair to me."

The humor in their father's eyes faded as he leaned forward. "I have worked hard to provide for you and your sister. I have given you everything because I want you to have the opportunity to experience things I never got too, but don't think for one second that I won't take it all away. This is my house and I make the rules. If you don't like it, then you can leave."

"Maybe I will."

Their father's gaze darkened as his face grew thunderous. "Don't push me, Zach. I have been pretty lenient with you so far but my patience is quickly evaporating. I will not tolerate any attitude. Are we clear?"

A harsh silence descended over the room. It clogged the air, making it difficult to breathe. Nervous, Keeley fidgeted with her phone. She hated these conflicts between the two and they were occurring more frequently. She had a feeling it was because Zach yearned for his independence. The closer they came to graduation, the farther he pushed the boundaries.

"Zach?"

A muscle in his cheek twitched as he bit out an angry, "Clear."

"You can go to your room now." Dismissed, Zach shot out of his seat and ran to his room. Keeley flinched as the door slammed shut.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked. She was concerned and not just because of her brother. Frankly, the prospect of Talon spending copious amount of time with her parents terrified her. It was one thing for them to meet before a date; it was a whole other thing for them to spend hours playing games together.

"We want to get to know the boy who's dating our daughter," her mom answered.

"Dating is such a strong word," she said lightly. She crossed her fingers and hid them under her leg as she told a little white lie. "I like to think of us as friends who are testing the waters."

"That must be some murky waters," her mom commented, raising an eyebrow. "You spend hours on the phone talking and texting."

"Yes, well...well..." She bit the inside of her cheek as she tried to think of a reason. "How else am I supposed to get to know someone? And shouldn't you be proud that I'm being so cautious?"

"I would except that you've already been a date with the boy," her dad said dryly, not buying her excuse. "Do you not want him here because you're afraid we'll embarrass you or because we won't approve of him?"

If she were honest with herself, the answer would be a little bit of both. While her father tentatively accepted Talon a week ago, he wasn't completely sold on the idea. He still held reservations and she wasn't convinced spending time together would get rid of them. The boy did have a tendency to speak inappropriately.

"Would it help if we promised not to show him your baby pictures?" her mom asked.

Horrified, Keeley's mouth dropped. "You would do that?"

"I'd be more worried about the stories," her dad piped in. "Honey, remember that one Halloween when she was six? She wanted to give everyone in her class a special treat so she passed out candy she found in your purse."

"Dad," Keeley groaned.

"Special treat indeed," her mom said while chuckling. "Imagine my surprise when I got a phone call from the teacher asking why my precious daughter thought it was a good idea to hand everyone a tampon."

She hung her head in shame. Not one of her finest moments, but to be fair, those things did look like candy wrappers. "Can we please not tell him that story?"

"It's not as if there aren't others," her mom said with a grin. Keeley sent her a mock glare and she added, "You can't take away all our fun. After all, it is our duty as parents to embarrass you in front of your boyfriend."

"Says who?" she asked. "And he's not my boyfriend."

"It's in the parenting handbook. Right after the chapter on how to recognize when your daughter is lying."

A reluctant smile crossed her face as she picked up her phone. "Fine, I'll ask but no pictures." There was one especially embarrassing picture of her as a baby. She'd be mortified if Talon ever saw.

I have a proposal: Tomorrow night, you and me spend a couple of hours together at my house....with my family. What do you think? –Keeley

I accept but you typed it in wrong. It's supposed to say "without my family." –T

Unfortunately, the parentals and my twin brother are included in this offer. We're having game night and they want you to come. –Keeley

As wonderful as I am, somehow I have a hard time believing Zach wants me to come over. –T

He'll be on his best behavior...well sort of. Just don't provoke him. –Keeley

I never provoke, baby doll. I am the definition of innocence. I embody purity. –T

Righht....I'm sure if I looked it up in dictionary I'd find a picture of you right next to the good ole' Virgin Mary. –Keeley

Well, I wouldn't go that far if you know what I mean. *Wink* What time should I be there? –T

Surprised, she reread the text to make sure she understood correctly. She was positive he would come with a reason to decline.

It starts at 7. You really want to come? You don't have too, you know. I can come up with an excuse. –Keeley

If it means getting to spend more time with you, I'm willing to put up with your idiot brother. No provoking guaranteed. –T

A weird pressure burned in her chest as she read his words. She'd been stressing about him and the big football game ever since he asked her a couple of days ago. She was still unclear about what to do, but the fact that he was willing to deal with her brother to spend time with her...well that spoke volumes. He wasn't just saying his feelings he was showing them and it meant everything to her.

PS. I retain the right to bring up this benevolent act of generosity at a future time when you're mad at me. –T

Planning on inciting my anger often? –Keeley

Let's just say I like to keep my bases covered. ;) –T

She grinned at his impudence. She could see why her brother and him didn't get along. They were both too arrogant and brash. It was like two alpha dogs trying to occupy the same space. However, they would have to put aside their egos for one night and get along.

Speaking of brothers, she needed to talk to hers. She got off the couch and went upstairs to his room. She knocked and peeked in. He was on the bed, lying on his stomach with his laptop open. His jaw turned to granite as soon as he saw her. Quickly, he looked back down at his computer but not before she caught the twinge of pain flash across his face.

"I'm assuming you went through with it," he said in a flat tone.

Her first instinct was to apologize and smooth things over but she suppressed it. She would not back down, not from this. If Talon was willing to play nice with her brother, then Zach needed to do the same. She gathered her courage and lifted her chin. Defiantly she said, "I did. He's coming over tomorrow night."

Dark brown eyes met hers. His temper boiled under the surface but he managed to keep it in check. "Are you here for a reason Keeley?" His polite tone shocked her. She'd been expecting loud rants and angry hand gestures but not this. "I'll behave if that's what you're worried about," he added.

She was pretty sure her jaw just dropped to the ground. "Y-You will?" When all he did was give a nod in response without any swear words or threats her suspicions began to rise. "You're not planning on poisoning him or anything right?"

"The thought hadn't even crossed my mind," he said with a straight face.

She turned a wary eye on him. "What's wrong with you? Have aliens invaded your body?"

He gave a loud sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. "You're a big girl Keeley. Do what you want. I'm tired of fighting with you about it." He shook his head a little as his lips compressed into a tight line. "Just don't say I didn't warn you when that asshole breaks your heart."

"He won't," she staunchly refuted.

"For your sake I hope not."

****

Keeley's head craned out her bedroom window as she watched the road, searching for Talon's truck. He would be arriving at any moment and she wanted to talk to him before interacting with her crazy family. Upon arriving home from school, she discovered that her mother had decorated the dining room to reflect the theme of the game. Appalled, she immediately started taking everything down, but her mother wouldn't hear of it.

"It's festive," she said, laying down the camouflage-patterned tablecloth.

"I thought we'd play Jenga or Uno or something," she waved her arms around, "Not this! It'll take hours to finish the game. Are you planning on holding him hostage?"

"I just want some quality time with him. Is that so wrong?"

"This is a living, breathing nightmare," she muttered under her breath looking around at the green and black room. There was even a pile of camouflaged flages neatly stacked on top of each other.

Her mother let out a big sigh. "If only you would have let me show those baby pictures."

Keeley shook her head at the memory. The woman was unbelievable. She tried to talk to her dad about it but clearly he was in cahoots with her. Her brother's reaction didn't reassure her either. He just laughed and laughed all the way up to his room.

She forced herself to take a deep, calming breath. Panicking wouldn't help anybody. She just had to get through tonight and pray Talon still liked her when it was all over.

A couple minutes passed and then she saw his black truck. Racing down the stairs, she yelled, "He's here," and then proceeded to run out the door. Tucker followed close behind and both greeted a surprised Talon.

"Before we go in, I need to warn you about my family," she said blocking his pathway to the house. "They take game night very seriously."

"I can handle a few games," he snorted. He blew on his nails and polished them against his shirt. "In fact, among my family I am considered the connoisseur of Checkers and the titan of Twister."

She sighed. He didn't understand, but he would shortly. "Well, I hope you are a whiz at world domination because we're playing Risk."

His blue eyes sparkled with wicked delight. "I should warn you now...I won't go easy just because you're my girlfriend."

The last word gave her pause. They hadn't officially talked about the status of their relationship. "Are we boyfriend/girlfriend?"

He bent down to pet Tucker. "Your master is a little slow," he said to the dog. "I distinctly remember calling her that for weeks now."

"And I distinctly remember denying it."

"Yet here we are," he said, shrugging a shoulder. "Boyfriend and girlfriend. You really should listen to me more. I'm quite intelligent." Her lips pursed as she lifted his arm and looked at his side, then around his back. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"Searching for your off button. I'm sure it's here somewhere..."

He laughed as he hugged her close, dropping his head onto her shoulder. "You make me forget," he said, a smile evident in his voice.

"Forget what?"

A warm puff of air feathered against the base of her neck as he turned his head slightly. Her eyes widened in surprise when she felt the unmistakable brush of skin. It was soft, delicate kiss with a whisper of something more.

Her pulse began to race as he slowly moved up, his lips barely touching the delicate curve. He took his time, teasing her senses as he stopped every so often to nuzzle a certain spot. Her breathing turned shallow as he reached the shell of her ear.

"Everything," he whispered, his hands drifting down till the cupped her lower back. "You make me forget everything."

A shudder chased over her skin as he planted an open kiss where her jaw and ear met. The action felt so private, so intimate she couldn't help but feel a little vulnerable. For a second, she panicked but then she felt his hand caress her back and her alarm fled. There was something about the way he held her. How his arms cradled her as if she was a fine piece of china—delicate, yet secure. It calmed her, made her feel safe with him.

His mouth moved towards her and she pressed closer, letting him absorb her weight. Her body trembled as he captured her lips, engulfing her in a fiery passion. His tongue stoked the flames, repeatedly tangling with hers till she was burning with need.

After a few moments, he pulled back his breathing heavy. He said something but she missed it, her eyes pinned to his lips. They were red and slightly fuller, swollen from the intense kissing. She leaned into him, intent on kissing him again but he put his hand on her shoulder, bringing her to a halt.

"I think we should stop now before I become target practice for your dad."

She blinked and reality came crashing back around her. How did he do that? It seemed whenever he kissed her she forgot all reason. "And my brother," she added. "I'm pretty sure he'd like to shoot you too."

"That's nothing new. I'm always target practice for him." He reached into his truck and pulled out a medium sized gift bag. It was dark blue and had white tissue paper coming of it.

"What's that?"

"Hostess gift. My ma insisted that I bring it."

Amused at his embarrassed expression, she grinned up at him. "You're such a mama's boy."

"I am if I want my laundry done."

They walked up to the house and right before entering, she stopped him. "Thanks for coming," she said, giving his hand a small squeeze. "It really means a lot to me." He had no idea how much.

"Wouldn't be anywhere else." With a flourish he opened the front door for her. "Alright baby doll, let's go kick some—"

"Talon," her mother said, standing in the entryway. "I'm so happy you could join us."

Keeley's father stood next to her, his expression stern. "Yes, glad to see you finally find your way to the door."

She grimaced. He definitely saw what happened by the truck. That didn't bode well for tonight.

Talon seemed unshaken by the insinuation as he shook her father's hand. "Sir, nice to meet you again." He held out the small bag to her mother. "Thank you for inviting me."

"How thoughtful," her mom beamed. She opened it up and pulled out two mason jars of homemade jam. "Peach and strawberry, two of my favorites."

"It's an old family recipe passed down through the generations."

As they followed her parents down the hallway she leaned over and whispered, "Your mother didn't make that did she?"

He winked. "No worries. This is from my aunt's special stash." Relief coursed through her, but it was fleeting.

"Oh my God," she whispered to herself as soon as they walked into the dining room. It was as awful as she remembered. Tacky army decorations covered the walls. "I swear I am adopted," she told him as her mother placed a tray of dark green cupcakes with little toy soldiers on the table.

"You wish," a voice said behind them. She cringed as Zach stepped into the room. Grinning like a Chesire cat, he stopped beside her. "Hey Sis."

Instantly, Talon's whole demeanor changed. He went from relaxed boyfriend to intense football competitor in seconds. In fact, the turnaround was so quick, so extreme that it took Keeley by surprise. It was as if a completely different person stood next to her. Her stomach rolled into a tight ball as their gazes clashed. She feared there would be a confrontation, especially with how much hostility boiled between them.

"Brewer."

"Harrington."

Wow. At least now she understood the phrase, 'If looks could kill.' She moved to interfere but Zach shook his head slightly, stopping her. She sent him a questioning look and his eyes flashed briefly, silently asking her to trust him. After a few moments, she nodded and stepped back.

Talon's eyes honed in on the wordless communication. Underneath those baby blues, she could see he was piecing together how connected the twins actually were. During all their nightly talks, they never discussed Zach. She purposefully steered clear of the topic, not wanting to cause any arguments. This was the first time Talon would really see and understand their relationship.

"Would you like a drink?" Zach asked, a forced smile on his face.

Surprise flickered in Talon's eyes, quickly replaced by suspicion. "I'm good," he said in a guarded tone. She had a feeling he would have said more but her mom came in the room with the board game.

She sent everyone a bright smile. "Let's begin shall we?"

****

Game night wasn't as bad as Keeley feared. It was actually fun once they sat down and began playing. Talon and her mom got along really well and even her dad started to joke around with him. The only awkward moments were when Talon or Zach interacted. They were very polite to each other, but by the end of the night, the strain of being in each other's company was starting to show. There were a lot more menacing glares and grinding teeth on both sides.

During a quick refreshment break, Keeley excused herself to the bathroom. When she came back Talon and Zach were gone. Uneasy, she looked around but couldn't find either of them. "Where are the guys?" she asked her parents, an anxious note creeping into her voice.

"I think Talon went to get something to drink and Zach went to check his phone."

She sat down but couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. "How long have they been gone?"

"For a few minutes I think," her mom said. "Why don't you go get them?"

Immediately, Keeley took off. She checked the kitchen and family room but they weren't there. She went upstairs and looked in each room, but no boys. Nervous, she went outside.

She stopped short when she saw them by the corner of the house. They were obviously arguing—their stances stiff and their faces set in an angry scowl. Fear snaked down her spine when she saw Zach point a finger at him, getting right in Talon's face.

"I don't know what sick, twisted plan you concocted with your idiot friends, but leave my sister out of it," Zach threatened, his voice carrying across the distance. "She's an innocent bystander in all of this."

"Does the Ice Man actually have feelings?" Talon mocked. "And I thought you were just a coldhearted bastard." He shook his head. "Looks can be so deceiving."

"At least I have a heart," Zach said, his lip curling up in a snarl. "You only care about one person—yourself."

Talon's head snapped back as his chiseled features turned razor sharp. "You don't know what you're talking about. I care about Keeley."

Zach stepped back, his head cocked to the side. "Drop the act. You're not fooling me."

"Just because you treat her like crap doesn't mean that the rest of us do."

"Excuse me?" Zach spat, his fists clenched so tightly his skin turned white. "You don't anything about me and my sister. I love her and she deserves a hell of a lot more than some dirtbag like you."

"You can't stop me from seeing your sister. If there is one thing I know about Keeley, it's that she's loyal to those she cares about." Talon stepped forward, his eyes burning. "And news flash Brewer, she cares about me."

Zach's nostrils flared at that statement. "I swear to God Harrington, if she ends up like Claire I will hunt you down and tear you apart till there's nothing left."

"That will never happen."

Zach stared at him, his posture taut and then let out a string of curse words. "Let's go in before they start looking for us."

Keeley's ears burned as she snuck back into the house undetected. Claire? Who the hell was Claire? And how did she figure in with those two?

******

A/N Growing up, my parents always made me invite the boy I was dating over to the house. I remember being so nervous about it, worrying about what would happen. I'm in my 20s now, and I still get the same feeling when I introduce my parents to the guy I'm seeing. :) Have a great day and don't forget to vote and comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.9K 1.9K 12
A beloved football player must find his anonymous hater to clear his name. ⋆☆⋆ Jake Tanner is a lover, not a fighter. Attractive, charming and popula...
6.1K 55 35
June's senior year in high school starts probably the worst way possible - her first boyfriend and supposedly love of her life cheats on her and dump...
421K 5.5K 11
High school, some people love it, some people hate it. Levi is someone who hates it. She has pretty excellent grades, a good amount a friends but sh...
52.7K 2.4K 41
"He's a breath of fresh air. The happiness to my sadness. The calm to my anxiety. He's an equal and opposite force, blocking me from the course of se...