Three Weeks [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"I'm soooo in love with this story!" - Seagull88 "Do the rumors intimidate you?" Edison asked. Kit chuckled. ... More

Now that's a cast!
Gosh dang it! Author is passing notes again!?
Chapter 1 - "The girls weren't lying about you."
Chapter 2 - "I thank thee oh cousin of mine."
Chapter 3 - "Someone said you were a teenage bride."
Chapter 4 - "Am I going to regret this?"
Chapter 5 - "You think I'm hot?"
Chapter 6 - "Sassy and hot. I like it."
Chapter 7 - "You're jealous."
Chapter 8 - "Two words that can make any girl fall in love."
Chapter 10 - "Who are you, Kit St James?"
Chapter 11 - "It's all about the booty."
Chapter 12 - "Abort, abort!"
Chapter 13 - "Did I distract you?"
Chapter 14 - "You're not that important Reigns."
Chapter 15 - "Adventure is brewing!"
Chapter 16 - "Where have you been all my life?"
Chapter 17 - "You know where to find me."
Chapter 18 - "Don't worry, I don't scare easily."
Chapter 19 - "What if the girl is you?"
Chapter 20 - "Seriously, I don't deserve you."
Chapter 21 - "My place?"
Chapter 22 - "Only the special ones."
Chapter 23 - "Don't fall asleep on me St James."
Chapter 24 - "I just miss them."
Chapter 25 - "Kittery Maine! Wake up! Wake up!"
Chapter 26 - "You can't chicken out."
Chapter 27 - "There's a first time for everything."
Chapter 28 - "Hey Farewell? Really?"
Chapter 29 - "But you didn't answer my question."
Chapter 30 - "Don't punch me."
Chapter 31 - "I don't want it to end."
Chapter 32 - "Don't touch her!"
Chapter 33 - "That's it! I've had enough!"
Chapter 34 - "I deserve answers."
Chapter 35 - "What is going on?"
Chapter 36 - "Moving on, I'm thinking a winter wedding."
Chapter 37 - "I just wanted you to myself."
Epilogue
Give me a second!
Alternative Epilogue
Last Moments
A cover gallery!!

Chapter 9 - "I was born ready."

35.8K 2.3K 1.2K
By joymoment

Edison offered Kit his hand as she caught up to him and she took it. His short hair was slicked back on the sides from sweat but she thought he hadn't looked cuter.

"Don't think I forgot your bold statement about being MVP," he said.

She chuckled as he led her through the large gray buildings.

"I think I have a strong case," she said.

"I made a touchdown off an interception," he argued.

"That interception only happened because Drew doesn't really think girls can play football and wouldn't throw me the ball."

"That's your argument?"

"I think it's a fair point."

"You want to argue that you earned MVP by standing on the field and Drew's sexism?" he said. 

"I'm glad you agree."

"No, no, no. I never said that."

"Does that mean I don't get a MVP kiss?" She bit back a smile when he gave her a stunned look.

"I guess you played a key part in the interception," he said, with a casual shrug. His eyes flickered to her lips.

She smiled. "You're welcome!"

She turned and tapped her cheek, waiting for a kiss. But he put a finger beneath her chin, turned her face back to him and planted a light kiss on her lips.

"A real MVP deserves a real kiss," he said. He took her hand again and continued walking.

"Very smooth, Reigns," she said. "Just don't make it a habit."

"What? Calling you MVP?" he joked.

She smiled and gave him a playful nudge with her shoulder.

"Now, tell me, oh great adventurer, where are we headed?" she said. 

"Here," he answered as they rounded the back of the gym.

She took in their surroundings. A few dumpsters lined a wall, the concrete was dotted with black spots and there was a hint of trash smell in the air.

"I like it," she said. "It has potential."

He handed her the pizza. "You are right."

He climbed up on a dumpster located beneath a ladder attached to the side of the building.

"Come here," he said, holding out his hands.

She complied and handed him the pizza. She took his hands and he easily pulled her up next to him.

"You ready?" he asked, looking up at the ladder that climbed to the top of the three story building.

"I was born ready," she said, reaching for the first rung.

But she was singing a different tune when she reached the roof, out of breath from climbing. She looked down to find Edison climbing with one hand, their pizza balanced in the other.

"I'm impressed, Reigns!" she called down to him.

He gave her a look of disbelief. "I took you up a mountain, for a ride on a gondola and won a football game, but this is what impresses you?" he called back.

She shrugged with a smile.

"I've been working way too hard," he grumbled.

"Here, let me help," she offered as he neared the top.

She took the pizza from him and stepped back as he climbed over the ledge and joined her.

The high school was located almost in the middle of Lighthouse Point. One side of the gym overlooked the neat rows of the downtown, while the other side overlooked the neat rows of neighborhoods. By the time they were settled on top of a metal electric box, the sun was low in the sky, illuminating everything with a warm, orange light.

"This pizza is amazing!" Kit said. She reached for her second piece after inhaling her first. Edison smiled, his second piece already almost gone.

"Pete's has the best pizza. The whole team used to go there after all the home games," he said.

"How did they survive a whole football team of hungry teenage boys?" she asked. She could only imagine how chaotic that would be.  

"They always had to stock up on game days. And it wasn't just for the team but everyone's families and the cheerleaders usually joined."

"But Amanda said everyone was going to Al's for milkshakes?" she said.

"We go to Al's during the summer and Pete's during the football season," he explained.

She smiled. "I like traditions like that. I like the idea of things continuing even after people are gone. It makes sense why everyone was so bummed you didn't join them for milkshakes."

He shrugged as he reached for his fourth piece of pizza.

"Amanda seemed especially disappointed," she added.

He chuckled and shook his head. He didn't say anything for a minute while he finished up his slice of pizza. She waited patiently as he wiped his hands with some napkins and then looked at her.

"She'll be fine," he finally said.

"Was she fine when you broke-up?" She turned to face him, pulling one of her legs up onto the electrical box and swinging the other one in lazy circles.

"Do you want this?" he asked, pointing to the last piece of pizza in the box.

"It's all yours."

She waited as he methodically ate the piece, taking his time chewing. She let silence settle between them and gazed out at their view of downtown until he threw his napkins in the box and closed it.

"Why did you break-up?" she asked.

"She broke up with me."

Kit looked at him in surprise. From the way Amanda had been acting around him, she thought it had been the other way around.

He let out a deep breath that sounded more like a sigh, "Things changed between me and Amanda," he said. "In the beginning it was great. But we dated for almost a year and a lot can change in a year. I think she thought a break would fix me and then we could go back to how it was before."

"So she never thought you were really over?" He nodded. "Maybe that's why she pushed me the first night."

He gave her a guilty look. "You just caught her at a bad time."

"I'm glad to know she isn't always like that," she said dryly.

"No. She hasn't been in the best of moods, then you arrived -"

"And screwed everything up?"

He nodded. "But just for Amanda," he said. "I don't mind having you here." He winked and took one of her hands in his. 

"You're just saying that because I introduced you to waffles with peanut butter cups," she playfully argued.

"That is just one of the many reasons I don't mind having you around."

"And another reason is my amazing football skills?" She laughed as he shook his head.

"If you're bringing up the MVP conversation again, I will have every right to kiss you, per the official rules of MVPs," he warned her. "So please, continue."

She moved back as he leaned towards her.

"How about we split the title?" she said. 

"I'm not sure how the rules would deal with the kiss," he said. 

"How about you keep yours and I'll keep mine?"

"Okay. For now," he said, giving her a playful look.

"I must admit I was impressed with the way you played today," she said. "I thought everyone was exaggerating when they talked about how good you were."

"You doubted my skills?"

"One-hundred percent."

He gave her a hurt look.

"But you proved everyone right today," she said. 

A cocky smile slid onto his face. "I was pretty amazing, wasn't I?"

She rolled her eyes. "If you're fishing for more compliments, you better catch up with the cheer team at Al's, because I'm done giving them."

"I'm happy right here." He gave her a playful smile and she became aware of how close they had drifted together. She turned away, pulling her legs up and crossing them.

"What made you start playing football?" she asked.

"Didn't my mom give you a run down of my football career this morning?" he asked. 

She smiled as the image of a younger Edison popped into her head. "She told me some, but I have to admit I was distracted by your cheeks."

"I was hoping we could forget you saw those pictures," he grumbled.

"Never," she laughed.

"I guess you don't want to know why I started playing football then?" he threatened.

She bit her lip and calmed her laughter for his sake. "So...?" she prompted.

"I played football because that what's you do here," he said. "I don't know if you've noticed, but it's a pretty small town and there's not a lot to do. Everyone else was doing it, so I did too."

"What about now?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean..." She hopped off the box and walked closer to the edge of the roof. "I mean, this town isn't getting any bigger and now you don't even have football. What are you doing?"

He shrugged. "I've found ways to keep busy." He joined her by the ledge running along the roof. "Football isn't everything," he said. "What about you? What are you, Kit St James, doing in a town that seems far too small for you?"

She smiled and rested her arms on the ledge. "I'm here visiting Jaxon."

"That's right. Your cousin. And your parents are on a business trip and you live in a house without any furniture."

"That pretty much sums me up."

"What else?" he asked. He copied her, resting against the ledge, close enough that their arms were touching.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Come on," he said. "We've been hanging out nonstop for the last four days. I wanna know more about you."

"Okay. What do you want to know?"

"How about your name? Is Kit short for something?"

"Short for something?"

"I dunno. Like Kittery or Katherine?"

She chuckled and shook her head. "Nope. I'm just Kit. Always have been and always will be."

"Are you sure? I like Kittery."

"I can check with my parents the next time we speak. Who knows? Maybe they've been keeping my full name from me."

"Where are you from?"

"All over. My dad's work kept us on the move."

"When you say all over..."

"East coast, West coast. Europe, South America."

"Then why did you come here? You should have made Jaxon come to you."

"I like it here," she said. As if to live up to her feelings, Lighthouse Point began a light show as buildings and houses began to glow, as the sky turned a silvery blue and the last light of day vanished.

"Nothing happens here," he argued.

"What about milkshakes at Al's and pizza at Pete's?"

"That's the best we got."

"I like it. It's charming," she said. 

"It's boring."

She nudged his shoulder. He nudged back.

"Next question," she said.

"How long are you staying?" he asked.

"That hasn't been decided yet."

"Does it depend on when your parents business trip ends?"

"Among other things. But don't worry, you aren't getting rid of me that soon."

"Bummer," he joked.

"I can throw rocks at someone else's window," she offered.

"Actually, you can't," he countered.

"Oh, really?"

"There's this strange law here in Lighthouse Point," he said. "You're new, so I'm not surprised you don't know about it, but my house is the only one you are allowed to throw rocks at."

"Interesting."

"If you don't believe me, I can show you. It's law one-eighty-three, subsection A, paragraph five."

"That sounds very official."

"It is. It states that any girls named Kit/Kittery, that's you." She smiled at the official tone in his voice.  "Are not allowed to throw stones, the size of a golf ball or smaller, at anyone's window except for Mr Edison's. That's me."

"I guess if there's a law..."

"Then you are stuck throwing rocks at my window and my window only," he finished for her.

"There are worse things in the world."

"Yes, like famine or cold fries."

She laughed. "All this legal talk has me craving a milkshake," she said. "Al's?"

"It's more fun when its just us." He leaned in so close Kit could feel his warm breath. His eyes took on an intense and captivating look.

"I think I've had enough fun for the day," she said.

"One can never have enough fun," he argued quietly. 

She smiled at his game and took a step back. "My answer is still no. Do you want to join me for milkshakes?"

He pursed his lips and studied her like he was debating whether she was worth the trouble.

"Milkshakes it is," he said after moment. He grabbed the pizza box and led the way to the edge of the roof.

**********************************************************************

Well hello there noodle!

So a good many things baffle me. Like socks with sandals, boys sagging their pants, electricity...stuff like that. The thing that really befuddles me is people being prejudice to other people solely based on their skin color. For real I just straight up don't get it. 🤷‍♀️

You can change your skin color as easily as you can stop the sun from rising, so why do you judge people based on this? I know long ago white people where awful and started this but why it is still going on? 🤔

You want to know who I'm prejudice towards? People who mistreat the people around them. People who are cruel for no reason. Those are the people I'm prejudice towards. People should be judged on their actions not their skin.

Well that's my thought anyways and I'm just an odd author, so what do I know. ☺️

What's something that baffles you?

Love, peace and ice cream!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 1.1K 39
I stepped forward and asked, "Where do you want me?" It took me a second to realize what I just said. Shit! I placed a hand on my crimson face and mu...
205K 11.7K 51
Yet again Darkness is hungry for a war to end it all, but Light will always have troops at the ready. One girl. One kingdom. Eleven friends. Four Ele...
136K 10.6K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 π”»π•’π•£π•œ οΌ† π•ƒπ•šπ•˜π•™π•₯ π•Šπ•–π•£π•šπ•–π•€ ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...
148K 7.8K 54
NOTE: I REVISED BEFORE YOU GO, SO THERE WILL BE SOME MISINFORMATION IN THIS ONE REGARDING LEON & ELIZA'S RELATIONSHIP. I WILL FIX IT SOON, THOUGH! *...