Night Rider

By Hermione_Hofferson

Night Rider - A httyd and Hiccstrid book. -Astrid's pov- 8 years. That's how long it has been. 8 lonely, cold... More

Prologue
The Flashback
Night Rider
The Arrival
A Useless Reptile
What?!
An Understanding
Hiccup
Do You Trust Me?
Attack
The Wound
Deadly Nadder
We Are In This Together
The Gang
Threats
Kreak
Chief
Fire
Little Saviours
Gothi
North Beach
Green Eyes
Leave
Nadder Training
Thoughts
T or D
Oh No
*A few questions*
Realisation
Back to Kreak
The Real Deal
Imprisoned
Playing The Part
Prison Life
Childhood Secrets
Snotlout's 23rd
UppgjΓΆrsdagur
We Found It!
The Cove
The Cure
The Fight
Finding a Way
Reviving
He Doesn't Deserve Me
The Great Hall
Breaking Secrets
"Surprise!"
Away
Dragon Freeing
Haley's island
Illness? Poison? Dragon!
Preparations
The Last Victim
The Little Boat
Changes
It's Only The Begining
Antidotes and Alphas
The Two Alphas
Trust
Explorers
*Answers to 'A Few Questions'*
*Extras*
E1: First days
E2: A New Allegiance
E3: Viva La Revolution!
E4: Moonspines
E5: To The Rescue!

Remedies

1.7K 40 45
By Hermione_Hofferson

Warning: Soz if this chapter is a little weird and crazy and childish- I was in a giddy and crazy and weird mood when I wrote it. :/

-Hiccup's pov-

"So you have absolutely no idea if this will work?" Fishlegs asked.

"Not really." I answered truthfully. We were walking back into the village of Berk, our arms laiden with different plants, bark, insects, flowers and leaves plus pure water in a bottle in our grubby arms, stray leaves falling out and drifting to the snowy ground every so often.

A day had already past since I arrived back and the village was letting me work in peace and keeping their distance, although my dad was doing it rather reluctantly and angrily. I allowed Gothi to watch over me as I made the medical remedy, and yesterday we found out that she had known it was me for a while - since the day we got Astrid back. Apparently she couldn't help but overhear our conversation in the cove when she went out to get fresh herbs and she watched it from above the cove wall. I was shocked at first, but then I realised that it could have been a lot worse if someone like Mildew or my father had found out that early and we thanked her for keeping it a secret.

"So, this may not work?" Fishlegs asked nervously. Over night, Thorom and Rilsa had died and they had had a formal viking funeral at noon today. It was quite a nice affair, given the circumstances. The sun was warming the air, but the fluffy and sparkling snow was still resting on the ground below our feet. It was only a week to Snoggletog now, so a huge campfire was lit next to the tremendous tree in the plaza and vikings were dancing and drinking to the upbeat music being played by Gobber (on his pipes), Mulch (on his sheep-skin drum) and Ack (on his wooden guitar with only two working strings - another 2 broken ones - which he bought from Trader Johann). Right at the very end, two rowing boats were set out to sea and set fire too as they sailed into the horizon to send them off to Valhalla.

The spirit of the party was still radiating around the village as we entered Gothi's hut with the supplies, so most people didn't even look our way when we walked through the village, except my father but Toothless took care of him again. At first he tried to fight the Night Fury, but after one simple blast which took the head clean off his new favourite axe (after we destroyed his original one), he backed down and sulked in his house.

"It may not work. But it might, and it's the best chance we have." I answered him. I was using the same remedy for when someone gets poisoned by a Scauldron, except I had added a few ingredients like uzdrowić leaves, bark off a heilbrigt tree and lækna flowers instead of the usual added herbs and foliage needed to make the concoction. (Google translate the foreign names of the plants if you can be bothered)

I dumped all the neccassary ingrediants into the steaming pot of boiling water and honey (just to make it taste nicer) which hung in a blackened copper pot over a cozy fire in the middle of the back wall of the house, beneath a row of jars which contained creepy creatures which had eyes in odd places. I tried not to look at them as I stirred the pot, but I found that my gaze was always drawn to them, almost like if you were told not to think of pink, fluffy elephants you always try not to think of pink, fluffy elephants but pink, fluffy, elephants always seem to enter your head, unwanted when you are being told not to think of pink, fluffy elephants. (You're thinking about them now, aren't ya?)

When the pot was giving off steam that smelled vaguely like a fire with honey and perfume drizzled onto it, and was bubbling uncontrollably, I lifted it off the fire and set it onto the table inbetween the four remaining patients. Gustav hasn't woken up since we came in yesterday and non if the other ill people have even flinched, so it was a calming yet unsettling feeling in the air as I added the flakes of heilbrigt bark into the final cups. They immediatly stared to wither and looked like wiggling worms in a puddle, but soon enough they had dissolved in the mixture and all we had to do now was wait until they had cooled to a suitable temperarure so the patients could drink it.

"What happens if it doesn't work?" Asked Fishlegs.

"Then we will try something else." I told him.

"What about if there isn't enough?" He asked. The simple answer would be 'we can just make some more' but unfortunately, Berk had a very low supply of Heilbrigt tree and we had stripped it clean of all the useful and healthy bark, so there was non left. The next simple answer would be just to go and buy or find some more, but I only know of two more trees - both of which are atleast a one and a half day round trip to get them and then we would have to make everything else again and by that time they would probably all be dead.

"We will have enough." I answer Fishlegs, a false sense of confidence in my voice, but he didn't sense that.

"I think it's ready, Hiccup." Said Astrid. I walked over to the cups and they weren't steaming any more so we each took a cup and poured it down a patient's throat. They made no noise and didn't move at all.

"Umm... Hiccup?" Squeaked Fishlegs.

"It's fine. It's fine. It just takes a few hours to wake them up and clear the dragon venom, that's all." I answered him.

"What do we do now?" Astrid asked. I wanted to get out of this room because the clashing of many different smells was very overpowering, but I also wanted to see my father, to try and get things straight with him, even though I still hated him.

"I'm going out." I told them.

"Where?" They asked in unison.

"To see my father." I answered confidently.

"Hiccup, no! If he really did do those things to you..." Astrid protested, "then you cannot go back alone! I will go with you."

"No, Astrid. I need to do it alone." I told her.

"We are all going, or no-one is going." Fishlegs spoke up.

"Then non of us are going." I told them. This was a lie of course. I would pretend to go on a flight with Toothless and then when they are gone I will sneak back in and speak to him alone. So that is what I did.

XxXxXxXxXxXx

I entered the chief's hut without knocking. I don't need to knock - he is not my chief and I am not his guest - so I didn't. Some people may class that as rude, but I on the other hand class it as giving a person what they deserve, and Stoick does not deserve formalities or manners. I had left Toothless around the side of the house in the shadows and told him to stay quiet. I had left my helmet with him too, because if I wanted to speak with my father I needed to seem like I wasn't going to attack him or seem threatening.

When I entered. A strong smell of meade and burnt meat filled my lungs. Leaves dotted the floor and it looked like he hadn't swept up in years. Dirty plates were stacked on the table and the fire had nearly died out: there was a single log still crackling on it and nothing else. A small, bare Snoggletog tree stood in one corner and below it was a dead rat as if Stoick hadn't even bothered to clean up at all. I picked up the rat and buried it in the snow outside - I will give it a proper burial later - and went into the house again.

Nothing had changed within the house when I entered only seconds after except one thing. I could no longer see the Snoggletog tree and instead I could see a very large man with a red beard, heavy boots and a rotund stomach.

"Hiccup." He stated, softly yet confused at the same time.

"Stoick." I replied, not meeting his eyes. Instead I kicked the door closed to stop the cold air from blowing in and helping myself to a chair at the table. It was infact my old chair and it hadn't changed a bit.

"Why? - What? - Where?" He stuttered.

"I am not here to talk about me. I am here to talk about your attitude towards strangers." I announced.

"Look, son-"

"I am not your son." I scolded him. He gulped then continued his speech.

"I didn't know it was you. I would have acted differently if I knew that it was. Please. Forgive me..." He pleaded.

"I will not forgive you any time soon. A single 'sorry' will not take back those 15 years that you beat me before I left or this time when I have been with you. Why did you think I left? Maybe it was because of how you treated me. Maybe it was because you never listened. Maybe it was because you forced me to kill dragons. Maybe it was because everyone bullied me. Or maybe it was a mixture of all of them! I will never forgive you for all that, Stoick. Never."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Stoick crumbled.

"Stop your worthless begging." I shouted. "The point is, you saw me as a threat before I had done one thing against you. I have never done anything against Berk since I arrived, so what made you hate me so much?" I asked. I got no response from the fully grown man who was now kneeling before me on the dirty wooden planks which made up his floor. His head was bowed so it was impossible to tell of his expression. I continued. "What did I ever do? Except save your sorry butts. If anyone in this tribe is a worthless, useless and I am not even going to say the other one which you had no fear in saying, then it is you. You need to seriously change your ways, Stoick. I am not shouting at you or telling you how bad you are. This is constructive criticism and you need to act on this. I am trying to help you. If you want allies and good trading partners, change your ways. Be more inviting. Be more cheerful. Be more warming and friendly. Be compassionate. Be active. Be there for you people, Stoick, because wouldn't Berk be a better place if you did?" I finished.

"Don't you tell me how to run my tribe." He scowled, his voice seething with hatred. He lifted his head and I saw fire raging in his eyes, a fire that could kill. And all that rage was then transferred into something more physical.

My left cheek burnt up with heat and pain.

Oh! Damn! Stoick...

🎵On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me:

Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree🎵

Published on: 15th December 2017

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 86 20
Hiccup and Astrid, childhood bestfriends, get separated for 5 long years when Stoick sends Hiccup off to boarding school. They both part ways with un...
6.1K 247 15
What if Hiccup wasn't an only child? What if he had a twin sister? What if she was blind? What if she also liked the fearless Astrid Hofferson? Find...
35.4K 406 29
-------π™π™žπ™˜π™˜π™¨π™©π™§π™žπ™™ 𝙛𝙑π™ͺ𝙛𝙛 π™€π™£π™šπ™¨π™π™€π™©π™¨.β€’ ❝ im with you.❞ - astrid ❝i know.❞ - hiccup !α΄„α΄α΄α΄˜ΚŸα΄‡α΄›α΄‡α΄…! β™‘ .β€’ ' i dont own howtotrainyourdrago...
3.7K 169 53
Alaya is a normal teenage girl. Without much drama in her life, she has two trustworthy friends and three brothers as well as a baby sister. So w...