Third Wheel | EDITING

By anne_luvs

Meet Lana. A professional third wheel at her finest. You would think being the school's power couple third... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 | Wait It Out
Chapter 32 | The Last Game
Chapter 33 | In The Crowd
Chapter 34 | Last Speeches
Chapter 35 | Surprise Dates
Chapter 36 | A Night To Remember
Chapter 37 | Trust Can Hurt
Chapter 38 | Sometimes Life Doesn't Go As Planned
Chapter 39 | Regrets And The Silence That Comes With It
Chapter 40 | Nothing Close To A Third Wheel
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter #1
Bonus Chapter #2
S E Q U E L
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL 2018
Editing!!

Chapter 2

96.1K 2.4K 681
By anne_luvs

Chapter 2

People say that you aren't thankful for what you have until you lose it.

But in my case, I don't think missing out on cafeteria food or more commonly known to our student body as 'slop' would honestly hurt me in any way.

In fact, it might assure a better living.

I stabbed the dry spaghetti noodle with my fork and examined the disaster. Meatball crumbs and an orangy colored sauce coated the bite as I put it in my mouth reluctantly.

It was cold.

"I'm done bitches," I announced after downing the concoction. "I can't eat this shit without lessening my lifespan by at least 10 more years."

Tony and Belle looked at me and laughed before Belle threw a bag of baked hot Cheetos my way, "I knew you wouldn't have been able to even eat the lunch at school Ms. 'I need to pack my meals'. School lunch just ain't it for you."

After thanking her, I gladly turned away and opened the bag and began eating as I scrolled through Instagram to pass time knowing that Belle wouldn't stop drooling over Tony anytime soon.

To be honest, I was never jealous of their relationship.

It was just how it all turned out that bothered me. In a matter of six months into their relationship, they went from 'friends with benefits' to dating.

The worst part?

Definitely, the fact that I found out from her boyfriend instead of her.

"Give it a few months, she'll tell you we're official eventually."

A few months passed and Belle did. In fact, I even put on a show. Playfully slapping the two of them on the arm and acting surprised but still happy. I remember catching a couple of curious looks from Tony but if he wanted his ass saved, he best let her think I had no idea.

Now, senior year rolled around and the two of them were still going strong.

The school's "athletic" couple. One of the most envied and gossiped about. People hated how they were still stuck in the 'honeymoon' stage after a whole year and I assured them that there was nothing I could do to stop their PDA. After all, you can only go so long without air and my best advice to them is to breathe a little.

Literally.

Honestly, sometimes I wondered how she was still alive along with her suffocation partner.

It wasn't like I wasn't actually happy for her but I was more or so on the 'worried' side. Tony wasn't exactly holding the best reputation when they started talking and Belle completely braced herself while they were 'friends with benefits' to not catch feelings.

And then she did just the entire opposite of that.

But together, they were extra alright. Athletically inclined humans that loved to workout more than the human body required. Belle did basketball all her life, inside and outside of school, and eventually picked up track in middle school. Tony did wrestling, water polo, and soccer as well. Too extra.

As for me, I stuck to cheer and photography more, especially after my injury in volleyball.

Nothing else except my pom-poms, a camera, a bag of chips, and kneepads to keep me busy. The only extra about me was the winter mint gum I carried around.

Before I knew it, I glanced up and the bell had sounded off.

My chips had been finished and disappeared without me realizing, Belle and Tony were saying their goodbyes until 6th period like Jack and Rose, and teens who didn't even look like teens were shoving each other left and right to get to class.

•••

The rest of the day pasts by smoothly with me doing nothing but trying to make my notes look aesthetically pleasing in my AP Psychology class. Keep in note, trying not succeeding.

After a group activity, the bell rings yet everyone is still sitting in their seats because of that dumbass rule the teachers enforced:

"The bell doesn't dismiss you, I do."

We all stay until Mrs. Meacham decides that her holding us back longer just eats into her prep period.

The kids who have a seventh let out a groan and rush as soon as the two-minute bell rings.

I, on the other hand, pick up my books and head down to the field where I wait until practice starts.

It's homecoming season and our school spirit for throwing around the old pigskin is in full-fledged force.

In all honesty, I was down there to start my new year off by hopping back into my routine. The two-month break from working out proved me nothing except that you can burn a hole in your wallet from eating nothing but chips.

Personally, I hated working out seventh. Preferring the cold overheat, I'd much rather be working out at my ungodly hour to most at 5 AM. Yet here I was, dropping my bags along the bleachers and heading for a warmup mile after my stretches.

I stripped from my jeans and hoodie to reveal spandex and a dry-fit tee shirt. The heat was starting to seem unbearable but I quickly changed from my Air Forces to my Nike runners.

The field was starting to slowly fill up with football players who needed to practice early, other cheerleaders who needed a meeting place to gossip, and cross country athletes who were already starting their 3 miles warm-up.

"Lana!" Renee yelled out, snapping me back to reality, "Ready to run?"

Renee Wilson was undoubtedly one of the closest people to me on the cheer team. She was tall, had the prettiest chocolate-colored skin, and was my back spot for cheer.

"I can trust you with my life but I don't know if I can trust that you'll keep my pace." I joked before standing up.

Renee had been a track star and we met again after she moved schools and wasn't only on my competitive cheer team but my high school cheer team as well.

The mile took a toll on me, reality hitting me hard. It was like life was telling me I failed and that I don't deserve oxygen.

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a bit.

From a distance, I could hear the last bell of the day ring and decided to end it there as Renee and I made our way up to the locker rooms with our stuff.

"And so, Evan told me that Jason is actually lowkey gay and is using football as his shield from the wrath of high school students." A voice echoed through.

Ahh. Nothing beats high school gossip.

"Who actually even talks like that?" Renee commented, rolling her eyes.

"So now, Amanda is worried that she and E— oh Hi Lana! Hi Renee!"

It was Hailey and Jorden. Two of our biggest bitches but if you were on the cheer team you were fine to hoe around with them. Unless you weren't and decided to create beef with them. In that case, you're an idiot.

"Hey Hails," I greeted. "Hey, Denni."

"What were you guys talking about?" Renee asked. Despite acting like she doesn't like the gossip, Renee was all for it as long as she wasn't the topic of discussion.

The two of them waved us over and retold the story. It wasn't like we were close. We weren't. But we were some one of the only girls who didn't seem to be interested in any of their male interests and they seemed to take a liking to that.

"I knew he was gay!" Denni screamed as the two laughed.

I acted surprised before excusing myself to my locker and changed from the dry-fit tee to our cheer practice shirt.

The three of them continued to gossip as I changed, still sticky from the heat. I grabbed my cleansing wipes and cleaned up a bit, adjusting my ponytail so it stayed high before fastening an old cheer bow onto it.

Quickly, I found myself just in time for warmups when the coach called me in.

"Coach Taylor?" I questioned, curious as to why she had called.

"Ah, Lana," She sighed as she scanned through her clipboard and checked me off. "I already told Hailey this but you two will be practicing your tumbles today on the field and track to make sure you don't land in the middle of the game when the season kickoff starts. Make sure you don't interrupt the players or get to close to their plays. "

I nodded and walked off down to get Hailey only to see her flirting with Sam, one of our wide receivers.

Clearwater High had a football team that served not only talent but looks as well.

I would know, cheering for the team made every comment about our players clear as day from the stands of the opposing side and ours as well.

Today was gonna be a long day.

•••

I hope you enjoyed the next chapter and an early update. As of right now, I'm going to try to update once a day or every two days for the next 2 weeks. Forgive me though guys, I'm seriously lazy, love chips ;), and have finals coming up. It's the dead week right now and I'm just praying I'll make it through. Anyways enjoy and vote, like, and share!

-Anne

•••
Updated: 12•11•17
Edited: 10•3•19
Edited 2: 101020

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 37K 51
He towered over me. His green eyes gazed at me and for a moment I was captivated by them. I cleared my throat. "I need your help to become a good gir...
208K 25.4K 70
"This book is the perfect mixture of deep and hilarious. I'm in love with that" - crackhead4ever Teen fiction has given cheerleaders a bad rap. And...
2.6K 234 15
(Attention: definitely not the story I'm most proud of... wrote this in my free time, wasn't too into detail - at all. I actually don't recommend thi...
466K 7.1K 38
*This book has mature scenes* Hazel is the captain of the cheer leading team at South Ridge High. She isn't like most cheer captains, not outgoing or...