Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 37 Betrothed

689 53 23
By the_hooded_girl

Felix Matís smiled playfully. "Who would have thought that a single dance at your brother's wedding would lead to us getting engaged?" He had been at court three months now and Vara's behavior amused him. Her every word was cautious yet polite and she feigned disinterest. She was playing a game and he enjoyed it. He was a man that liked the hunt, and Vara ví Aurelios was a high prize he was determined to win.

"Really?" Vara replied, "it was my dancing skills you were attracted too? Perhaps I should have stepped on your toes more often."

Felix smirked. "Cicero warned me about your sharp tongue, but it won't discourage me. I am an expert with the sword. I can handle sharp objects."

"It seems you and Cicero have a lot on common," Vara commented dryly, "perhaps you should consider marrying him."

"Do I intimidate you this much, lady Vara, that you believe you need to lash out at me to win my respect? I assure you, you have nothing to fear." He smiled amused.

Vara hid her annoyance. The past three months had been stressful. Felix had been given his own quarters in the palace. They were located near Cyrus' rooms and that on its own was reason for stress. Almost all of her time was spent in the company of Felix. The only time she could escape was at night when she was asleep. Her first impression of him being a shallow and vain man hadn't changed, and now she discovered he was also arrogant. He thought she belonged to him now.

"I assure you," Vara told him stiffly, "I am not afraid of anyone. And I have handled my share of sharp objects."

Felix chuckled. "If your skill with the needle is anything like your skill with words, then I'll make sure to stay away when you sit down with your embroidery."

Vara gritted her teeth, but didn't reply. She had promised to behave no matter how much she wanted to slap him. "Let's just find seats." Felix had taken her to the horseraces today just outside of the city of Auros. Cyrus and Ariane were unable to join them today. Ariane had fallen ill and the king wouldn't allow Cyrus to accompany them by himself, so it was only Iason to guard her.

They found seats in the crowd. The royal family usually had their own lodge, but Vara didn't feel like sitting there today. Felix had scowled, but she had ignored it. He needed to learn that being engaged to her didn't mean he would have any privileges. They weren't married yet. And she liked sitting in the crowd. They still had a good view from here.

"Lady Vara,"a soft and melodious voice sounded at her shoulder.

Vara looked up to find both Priskilla Tempa and Riccardo Prias standing there. She stood up to greet them. "Lady Priskilla, lord Riccardo, how nice to see you again. So it is official now? Can we expect a wedding soon?" She smiled.

Priskilla blushed and looked down, making Riccardo chuckle. He bowed at Vara. "I am pleased to tell you that I will be able to call lady Priskilla my lady wife very soon. An invitation should find you in the next few days."

"I'm looking forward to it," Vara smiled.

"Vara dear," Felix had stood up as well and cast an annoyed look at Riccardo, "we should take our seats. The races will start soon."

Vara didn't answer him, but kept her eyes on Priskilla and Riccardo. "Why don't you two join us?" At least with their company she wouldn't be alone with Felix.

"I'm sure they have plans of their own," Felix commented.

Priskilla's eyes met Vara's and she saw the pleading look they held. She placed a hand on Riccardo's arm. "Let us sit down with them. I haven't had the opportunity to thank lady Vara yet for inviting me to court."

Riccardo smiled at her lovingly. "Of course." He turned his head and nodded at Iason, who sat behind Vara to guard her better. "Iason, was it? Good to see you are still guarding the lady."

Iason bowed at him. "My lord." He was secretly grateful the two had arrived. He didn't care much for Felix Matís.

The first race had begun and Felix turned his attention to the horses, having placed a large bet.

Priskilla leaned towards Vara. "I wanted to thank you, lady Vara. Lady Ariane told me you suggested she invite me to her gathering. You are most kind."

Vara smiled. "I hope you enjoyed your stay. Ariane is in need of friends. Perhaps you can help each other."

"Certainly," Priskilla nodded seriously, "and you seem to have found yourself a partner too." She studied Felix carefully.

"The king deems it a good match," Vara replied courteously.

"I see," Priskilla said in an understanding tone. There was sympathy in her eyes. "Well, in any case, we would like to return the favor and invite you back to Genvi. This time you must stay a few days."

"I would love to," Vara answered.

"But I'm afraid we must decline," Felix cut into the conversation. The first race had finished and he had lost. He turned his attention to Priskilla now. "There won't be any time for visits any time soon. We have much to prepare for the wedding and we wouldn't want any scandals to be rumored about us visiting anywhere unwed."

"Oh," Priskilla said startled. She hadn't meant to invite Felix at all. He made her uncomfortable. "Well, perhaps after the wedding then?"

"We will see," Felix said curtly. He turned back to the races.

Vara had listened to his words with open mouth. How dare he decide these things for her! She felt Riccardo's eyes on her and when she crossed looks with him, he offered her a sympathizing smile. Inside, he was seething. He knew Felix Matís well and he did not like the man at all. This was who the king wished for Vara to marry? He wondered if king Marcos knew Felix' true nature. He would try to get an audience with the king as soon as possible. "I am sure we would be able to find away," he said, "perhaps lady Ariane and prince Cyrus will accompany you, to thank her too for her kindness."

Vara smiled, understanding and appreciating what he was trying to do. "I am sure she would be delighted."

Next to her, Felix was cheering loudly when his favorite horse won the race.

Vara grimaced. She pulled on Felix' tunic to draw his attention. "Why don't I go get us some refreshments? There will be many more races."

"I don't like the thought of you walking around here by yourself," Felix said, "your servant can get us refreshments."

Vara refrained from pointing out that Iason was her guard not her servant. She tried to stay polite when she answered him. "My guard was ordered to stay at my side at all times. I cannot send him on an errand if that means leaving me on my own."

"But you're not one your own, dear. I am with you. I can guard you just as well. And when we are married, you will have no need of his services anymore."

Her breath stocked. He couldn't be serious, could he? But she knew he was, and it made her blood run cold. She had come to rely on Iason. She enjoyed his company. She didn't want to lose him.

Vara straightened herself, suddenly annoyed with Felix' constant controlling behavior. "Seeing as how we are not married yet, my guard will have to stay at my side."

Felix flashed her a smile. "I suppose we will go without refreshments then. Or we could sit in the lodge where we will have servants to see to our needs."

Vara gritted her teeth. "No refreshments then." She knew it would annoy him, but she didn't want to give in to him. She didn't care if she was being stubborn.

Priskilla was about to say something, but the soft pressure of Riccardo's hand told her not to interfere. She bit her lip. Lady Vara had been so kind to her. She could have chosen to marry Riccardo, but had stepped aside for Priskilla so she wouldn't stand in the way of their love. And now Vara was forced to marry this horrible man.

It hardly seemed fair.

There were six more races, but none of them were profitable for Felix, so he was in a bad mood at the end of the day. Vara was just glad to go home. She said her goodbyes to Riccardo and Priskilla before following a scowling Felix.

"I am sorry you lost," Vara told him once they were alone.

"Are you now?" Felix scoffed, "I would think you hadn't noticed. You barely paid attention to the races. I brought you here because I thought you would enjoy it. Instead you spent your time chatting with that low born girl that, might I add, snatched your suitor from you."

"They love each other," Vara said, "how could I stand in the way of that?"

"Love," Felix snorted, "how foolish you are. But I supposed I should thank them for their indiscretion. It handed me you."

Vara narrowed her eyes at him. "I am not an object for you to possess, lord Felix. I was not handed to you. You are merely an option."

His hand locked around her wrist and he pulled her around to face him. "Right now, I am your only option, my lady. You may act all high and mighty, but all the kingdom knows why the king wishes for you to wed so soon."

A sword appeared under his chin. "Release the lady now," came Iason's dark voice. His eyes were menacing as he glared at Felix.

Felix chuckled, but he released Vara's wrist. "Defending her honor, are you? Very loyal of you, but I doubt she has much of it left." He smirked. "Or perhaps you already know this, soldier? I have seen you look at her."

The edge of the sword pressed harder against Felix' throat. Iason glared at him with a disgusted look. "I do not like what you are insinuating, my lord," he said through his teeth, "you have insulted the lady. You will apologize."

"And if I won't?" Felix asked smugly. He knew full well the man couldn't lay a finger on him and Iason knew it too.

"The only reason you walk away today is because of your family name," Iason said, "but you will never go near lady Vara again."

Felix' smirk was still on his face. "That is going to be problematic, seeing as we are engaged to be married."

"You won't be for long once I've spoken to the king."

Vara turned her head confused. The words had not come from Iason. Instead, Riccardo stood not far away, a shocked looking Priskilla a few feet behind him. The girl's hands were covering her mouth and her eyes were wide.

Felix narrowed his eyes. "This is no affair of yours, Prias. Run along now with your little whore. You've had your chance. You chose your little wench over the princess. Take your loss and leave."

"You are despicable, Matís," Riccardo said coldly, "you tarnish your family name. And I'm sure that once the king learns about certain... mishaps he will have no problem breaking off the engagement and degrade your family. I'm sure you wouldn't want that."

Felix was still glaring, but didn't comment. He scoffed and straightened his clothes.

Iason took his sword from the man's throat, but remained between the two parties. He kept his eyes on Felix as the man retreated and walked away without a word. Only after Felix was out of sight did he put his sword away and turned to Vara. "Are you alright, my lady?"

Vara let out a breath and took a step towards him. She locked her arms around him. "Thank you," she breathed.

Iason stiffened. He wasn't sure how to react, but Vara had already let go of him and now turned to Riccardo.

"You too, my lord," she said. She curtsied to honor him.

Riccardo bowed from the waist. "I am glad to have been of assistance. I would even be more glad to see the king break off your engagement. Felix is not worthy of the Matís name."

Vara let out a shaky breath. "What am I to do now?" Would she have to go through all of this again? With new suitors? She wasn't sure she could handle that.

"There is room in our carriage, lady Vara," Riccardo said kindly, "let us drive you home. It would ease my mind to see you home safe."

"I'd be grateful," Vara said, "and please, stay the night. It's the least I can do."

Riccardo bowed again. "My lady." He accompanied her to his carriage where she sat down next to Priskilla.

"Iason," Vara muttered when Riccardo sat down across from her.

There was a faint smile on Riccardo's lips. "Your guard can ride with us, my lady. I have no objections." He made room for Iason, who awkwardly seated himself with the nobility.

Riccardo signaled his driver to head for the palace. Priskilla bit her lip. "I am so sorry this happened to you," she told Vara, "especially since it is my fault you could not marry Riccardo."

"It's not your fault," Vara assured her. She smiled weakly. "It is my own. I didn't choose carefully. I should have known what he was like."

Riccardo shook his head. "You could not have known. He is a master at hiding his true nature. It is only coincidence that I found out. I would have spoken up sooner, my lady, had I known you were to marry him."

"I am just grateful for your help today," Vara said. Then she stiffened. Her face went pale. "He has quarters at the palace," she choked out.

"He won't for much longer," Riccardo promised, "I will speak to the king."

Vara wasn't so convinced. The Matís family were still well respected courtiers and the king was already annoyed with her. He might very well still make her wed Felix.

Priskilla leaned forward and smiled at Iason. "How long have you been a guard? Iason, was it?"

Iason looked down and bowed his head, not used to nobility engaging him in conversation. "I am but a simple soldier, my lady, I was wounded in battle and the king appointed me lady Vara's personal guard."

"I'm sure lady Vara is very grateful to have you at her side."

Iason kept his eyes down and stayed silent.

"I am," Vara spoke. She smiled at Iason. She had come to rely on him and his company. "I wouldn't know where I'd be without him."

"I'm sure you would be fine, my lady," Iason said quietly.

"Don't do yourself short," Vara said, "I wouldn't want anyone else at my side."

They pulled up at the palace and the four of them climbed out of the carriage. When Vara made for the doors, Riccardo held her back. "If you please, my lady, may I speak with you in private a moment?"

Vara looked at him curiously. "Of course," she nodded. She signaled Iason to wait and allowed Riccardo to pull her aside.

"I'm sorry if what I say will offend you," Riccardo said, "but I feel the need to speak. I am in your debt and I only wish to help you."

"Speak please," Vara said, "you worry me."

"That is not my intention," Riccardo said, "forgive me."

Vara nodded. "What is on our mind?"

"When we parted at Genvi," Riccardo said, "I told you I wish you happiness. And I still do. I speak from experience when I say that sometimes we are searching for something so fiercely that we don't recognize what is right in front of us."

"I'm sorry," Vara said confused, "I'm afraid I don't understand."

A light smile was on Riccardo's lips. "I speak of your guard, my lady."

Vara blinked confused. "Iason?" she questioned and she looked over her shoulder.

Either he felt her eyes on him or he had heard his name being mentioned, but he looked up at her and their eyes briefly met. Quickly Iason cast his eyes down again. He shifted nervously.

Next to him, Priskilla smiled at him assuring. Some words were exchanged, but Vara could not hear. She turned her attention back to Riccardo. "Please explain," she said.

Riccardo cleared his throat. "I am not the only one who has taken notice. Priskilla has seen it too and I have no doubt Felix figured it out." He paused and his eyes turned serious. "You know I care not for status, and I know you share that opinion, but for your sake as well as his, either release him from his duties or marry the poor lad."

Vara blinked startled. "My lord?"

Riccardo took a deep breath. "My lady, your guard is in love with you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.8K 865 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...
79.9K 3.9K 52
Have you ever thought that you would go back in time? Especially, 1000 years ago? Have you ever thought you would fall in love with a person there? ...
46 0 40
In the small kingdom of Satia, a momentous announcement was made - Princess Mia had been declared the next in line for the throne. However, there was...
567K 15.7K 31
He did not love her. It was a loveless marriage to him. In his eyes, she is just a burden who cooks food for him. And in return, he will earn money a...