Damsel In Distress (A Wattpad...

By JoMarch08

Trope: ✓ marriage of convenience ✓ hate-to-love ✓ slow-burn ✓ Muslim characters/love story ✓ Bad boy/good gir... More

Prologue
CHAPTER: 1 | THE WEDDING (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 2 | THE WEDDING (PART 2)
CHAPTER: 3 | AFTER STORM (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 4 | AFTER STORM (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 5 | THE DAWN (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 6 | THE DAWN (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 7 | THE OTHMANS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 8 | THE OTHMANS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 10 | CERTAIN UNCERTAINTIES (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 11 | WEDDING BELLS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 12 | WEDDING BELLS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 13 | WRONG IMPRESSIONS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 14 | WRONG IMPRESSIONS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 15 | CONNECTING DOTS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 16 | CONNECTING DOTS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 17 | BITTER REALITY (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 18 | BITTER REALITY (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 19 | BLAST FROM THE PAST (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 20 | BLAST FROM THE PAST (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 21 | THE CONSEQUENCES (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 22 | THE CONSEQUENCES (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 23 | BURNING HEARTS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 24 | BURNING HEARTS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 25 | SCATTERED PEARLS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 26 | SCATTERED PEARLS (PART-2)
CHAPTER : 27 | WOUNDED SCARS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 28 | WOUNDED SCARS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 29 | THE NEGOTIATION (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 30 | THE NEGOTIATION (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 31 | OBLIVIOUS SOULS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 32 | OBLIVIOUS SOULS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 33 | RUDE AWAKENING (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 34 | RUDE AWAKENING (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 35 | AWKWARD CONFRONTATIONS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 36 | AWKWARD CONFRONTATIONS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 37 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 38 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 39| CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-3)
CHAPTER: 40 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-4)
CHAPTER: 41 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-5)
CHAPTER: 42 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-6)
CHAPTER: 43 | CHANGE OF HEARTS(PART-7)
CHAPTER: 44 | CHANGE OF HEARTS (PART-8)
CHAPTER: 45| THE GAME (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 46 | THE GAME (PART-2)
SUMMARY OF THE STORY SO FAR
CHAPTER: 47| PLOT TWIST (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 48| PLOT TWIST (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 49| THE PARTY (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 50| THE PARTY (PART-2)
THE BUTTON (A BONUS CHAPTER)
CHAPTER: 51| BETWEEN US (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 52| BETWEEN US (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 53| BETWEEN US (PART-3)
CHAPTER: 54| BETWEEN US (PART-4)
CHAPTER: 55| THE ART OF LETTING GO(PART-1)
CHAPTER 56 | THE ART OF LETTING GO(PART-2)
CHAPTER: 57 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-3)
CHAPTER 58 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-4)
CHAPTER 59 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-5)
CHAPTER 60| THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-6)
CHAPTER: 61 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-7)
CHAPTER: 62 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-8)
CHAPTER: 63 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-9)
CHAPTER: 64 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-10)
CHAPTER: 65 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-11)
CHAPTER: 66 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-12)
CHAPTER: 67 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-13)
CHAPTER: 68 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-14)
CHAPTER: 69 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-15)
CHAPTER: 70 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-16)
CHAPTER: 71 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-17)
CHAPTER: 72 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-18)
CHAPTER: 73 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-19)
CHAPTER: 74 | THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-20)
CHAPTER: 75| THE ART OF LETTING GO (PART-21)
CHAPTER: 76 | THE ECLIPSE (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 77 | THE ECLIPSE (PART-2)
CHAPTER: 78 |THE ECLIPSE (PART-3)
CHAPTER: 79 | THE ECLIPSE (PART-4)
CHAPTER: 80 | THE ECLIPSE (PART-5)
CHAPTER: 81 | THE ECLIPSE (PART-6)
CHAPTER: 82 | HER KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR (PART-1)
CHAPTER: 83 | HER KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR (PART-2)

CHAPTER: 9 | THE OTHMANS (PART-3)

7.7K 630 110
By JoMarch08

It was around nine when the ladies were summoned to the dining hall for the feast. Sarah and Laiba led the guests to the table and pulled out the chairs for them which they accepted with 'thanks'. The decor and the furnishing of the hall were grandeur and marvellously opulent with all the lights dimmed around them except for the chandelier that was casting its light straight down on the table which was flooding with food. The table linen draped over the teak-wood-made banquet table was a glossy, purple satin and the crockeries placed on it were all pure white ceramic pieces containing, roasted lambs, roasted chicken, all varieties of fishes, prawns and carbs, bread, rice, soups, salads, fruits, bowls and bowls of gravies with chunks of meat floating at the top and lots and lots of desserts.

Maha's eyes were wide and jaws agape at the sight of the cakes on the table. "HOLLY MOLLY !!!" She exclaimed, "Am I hallucinating or is it an apple cheesecake over there?" She grabbed Habeeba's arm and leaned enough to squeak in her ear.

"MAHA." Habeeba chided her sister and pushed her away gently. "Behave." She hissed between her teeth, glaring hard. She then sat straight and smiled when Laiba came to serve her the soup.

Maha stuck out her tongue at Habeeba and pulled out her phone from her jeans pocket. She opened the camera app and looked to her left and then right, making sure no one was watching before sneakily snapping a picture of the cakes at the corner. She quickly pulled her mobile down, under the table and smiled at the picture she just clicked. "Perfect." She muttered, satisfied.

She forwarded it to Burhan and typed:

M: Eat. 😈

She laughed devilishly in her head knowing well that Burhan would be burning with jealousy after seeing the picture. Not after a second, her phone beeped.

B: HOLY SHIT!! *eyes popping out of the sockets*

B: It's looks f**king delicious.. *mouth watering*

M: It's way more delicious than it looks. Umm, *moaning* sorry, I'm eating. I can't text you. Bye.

B: Hey! Hey! Be a good girl and save me some.

M: In your dreams.

B: Three steps:
1. Grab a large piece of cake.
2. Use clean tissue paper to wrap the cake.
3. Stuff it in your pocket and come to me.

She placed a hand on her mouth and suppressed her laughter. She was about to type a reply when-

"Soup?"

Maha dropped her phone on her lap, startled. She looked up and saw Laiba standing with a bowl in her hands, smiling at her with an eyebrow raised. "Oh! Nohh!" She exhaled, pulling herself together. "No thanks, no soup." She said, smiling a toothy smile.

"Okay," Laiba nodded. "What would you like to have then?"

"Umm.." Maha ran her tongue over her lips and slowly turned her head towards the cakes at the corner.

Laiba followed her gaze and smiled, "Do you like cakes, Maha?"

Maha chuckled like a child caught doing something naughty, "Very much.." She confessed, turning pink while Laiba took her plate and wheeled around the table. She placed a piece of every cake on her plate and brought it back to her. "Here, you can have all of it.." She said, placing her hand on her hair. She reminded Laiba of Alice from the movie Twilight with that beautiful plump-round face, short form and pixie-cut hair. She found her innocent and cute, that type of girl who was completely oblivious to the dark side of the world.

"Err.Thanks." She thanked her, biting her tongue and winking at Areesha who was shaking her head, disapprovingly.

Laiba moved and took a seat next to Sarah at the end of the table, she said, leaning a little, "She's so cute.." With her eyes, she gestured towards Maha who was taking a large bite from the apple cheesecake, savouring it with her eyelids closed. The girl was wearing a sleeveless parrot green kurta, ripped blue jeans and a sports watch on her right wrist. Laiba remembered she had a thin dupatta on her neck when she first came but now, it was nowhere to be found.

"Maha?" Sarah raised an eyebrow, sipping on her soup. "Yeah, she's a sweetheart but a little cracked."

"Look who's saying.." Laiba commented, grinning as she helped herself with the soup.

Sarah rolled her eyes before turning, "Aunty, taste this.." She stood up and served Umme-Zeeshan the grilled chicken, who was seated opposite to her.

"It's the best in the whole Dehradun..nice, right?"

Mrs Yusuf nodded to her in agreement, chewing with her eyebrows raised in astonishment.

"I told you...Here, have some more." She offered, discarding a few more pieces from the skewers.

Laiba shook her head, smiling to herself.

Fifteen minutes later, everyone was done with the main course and just when the round of desserts started, Yusuf Othman and Haider Ahmed came walking into the hall and halted a little far away from the table, asking permission.

"If you, ladies, would be so kind to give these, two poor souls a few of your precious minutes, only if you all are done nothing, of course." Haider Ahmed turned and grabbed Yusuf Othman by his shoulder. "My friend here has something to share with all of us and expects our sincere attention."

"We are just having desserts. You are welcome, my brothers." Zara Othman said with a hearty smile while everyone else nodded in agreement.

They thanked and reached the table. "Let's see what he has to say.." Haider Ahmed made Yusuf Othman sit on the master chair and took the seat, adjacent to him for himself.

When they were seated, Yusuf Othman spoke, "I can't contain this again longer," The Othmans smiled at each other, knowing well what Yusuf Othman was about to say while Laiba and Sarah exchanged a clueless look with Haider Ahmed, frowning yet smiling.

Yusuf collapsed his hands together in front of him, happy to get to this part finally. "Haider, first of all..Jazakhillah for the feast. It was beyond delicious." He looked at Haider Ahmed, appreciatively who was looking at him with a smile on his face. "My brother, there's something I ought to tell you.." He glanced at everyone at the table who were all looking at him keenly.

"Really? What is it?" Haider Ahmed asked, suddenly anxious.

Everyone's eyes were on him, waiting for him to speak.

Yusuf Othman's eyes flickered to Laiba for once before they met Haider Ahmed, "I ask Laiba's hand in marriage for my son, Zeeshan." He said just like that, not wasting one more minute, he just said it, his voice echoing in the hall for everyone to hear. "If it's not too much to ask." He added, smiling expectantly at Haider Ahmed who was looking at him, dumbstruck.

Seconds ticked by.

Haider Ahmed blinked, opening his mouth to speak but nothing was coming out. He couldn't believe what he just heard, "Ah!" He breathed out, perplexed. "I-I..don't know what to say." He squirmed in his seat and glanced at Laiba, who had turned into a statue.

"You don't have to say anything, I can only imagine how hard it must be for you all after what happened." Yusuf Othman placed his hand on Haider Ahmed's and looked at him in the eyes, "I understand, it's too early and how difficult it must be for Laiba to even think of another wedding this soon but like you told me once, the sooner, the better. And you don't have to worry about anything. I've talked to Zeeshan and so now, he knows everything he has to know about Laiba. He has no objections from his side and would like to meet her whenever she thinks she is prepared for it.." He squeezed his hand, comforting him.

Laiba was extremely shocked, thunderstruck, dumbstruck and more than that, baffled. ME? MEE?? MEEE??? They are talking about ME??? She tightened her grip around the spoon she was holding, her heart thrumming like a wild beast inside her ribs.

Umme-Zeeshan raised her head, "Yusuf couldn't stop talking about her and now I know why. I have seen her not just with my eyes but with my heart and soul and I know for once that yes, she is the one for my son." She added her voice to her husband, "Brother, I would love nothing more than to see Laiba, married to my son and come to our house, as my son's wife and be our beloved daughter."

'Oh my god!' Sarah defrosted, smiling, grinning as she looked at everyone, face by face with gleaming eyes. She was overwhelmed by happiness and excitement at the moment with what she just heard. She let out a laughing breath, putting her right hand on Laiba's lap and squeezing it in merriment.

Yusuf Othman looked at his wife, fondly. Habeeba and Maha gushed, clenching each other's hands with delight. Zara Othman placed her hand on Umme-Zeeshan's shoulders and bobbed her head, appreciatively, while Areesha kept scrutinising her gaze at Laiba, studying her every twitch.

And Laiba? She kept her head low, trying to hide her blush and staring at the ice cream bowl, watching it melt. No one has ever made her feel as much esteemed as Mrs.Yusuf just did.

The affection and love for Laiba were evident in Umme-Zeeshan's eyes and when Haider Ahmed witnessed it, his lips curved into a smile. He felt his shoulders ease, his heart lightened and his mind, free. He realised he was feeling happy, so much so that he felt his eyes moistening.

"Zeeshan is a good son and I believe he shall make a good husband. His mother taught him to fear Allah, to love our beloved prophet Muhammed(peace be upon him) and to respect women. He offers all the five Salahs and is well-informed about shariah-" Yusuf Othman was proudly appraising them when Haider Ahmed cut him off.

"I know Zeeshan from his childhood. I have no doubts regarding him..after all, he is raised by you.." He nodded, clenching back his hand. "Nah, no sane man would doubt the values of the Yusuf Othman's children..." He smiled with water in his eyes, "I knew Allah(SWT) would answer my prayers but this soon?" He shook his head, gulping the lump, "I'm just surprised, guess I didn't see it coming.."

"I understand." Yusuf Othman began, "Take your time, think about it, talk to Laiba, let her do Istikhara and then give me the answer. There's no rush.."

"There's nothing to think about and I don't think there is anyone better than Zeeshan for my daughter." He bobbed his head, up and down, "You have my consent, yes, you do." He finally gave his verdict, happily.

Seconds later, Haider Ahmed and Yusuf Othman were hugging and congratulating each other and here, everyone was getting up from their chairs and coming towards Laiba. Umme-Zeeshan and Zara Othman were the first, then Maha, then Habeeba, then Sarah, everybody congratulated her, embraced her, shakinshook with her, kissed her, and even Areesha smiled and congratulated her. Everyone around her was laughing with joy and shouting 'Mabrook' 'Mabrook' at one another but she couldn't see anyone or hear anything or believe anything. Sarah was clinging to Laiba from the back, her arms around her shoulders and was whispering something in her ears but all she could do was stand and let everyone do whatever they wished to do with her because it felt like a dream and she was waiting for it to end.

"Zeeshan has to go to London, tomorrow. I'm sending him there for business purposes and he won't be back before a week so I was wondering if our children could meet before he departs, that is, if Laiba is ready for it.." Yusuf Othman was saying to Haider Ahmed and Laila's ears were all on them. "His flight is at 4 pm so he has an hour after lunch with him to meet you all.."

"I'll talk to her and will let you know.." Laiba took a breath of relief at Haider Ahmed's answer.

"In Sha Allah."

It was then, that she realised that it wasn't a dream that would end, it was a reality that had just begun.

******************************************************

Around 11, Yusuf Othman and the ladies took their leave but the girls had to stay behind as Burhan was to come and pick them up. Haider Ahmed had already said his goodbyes and had excused himself as he was tired and needed to rest so Sarah and Laiba brought them back to the drawing room.

By then, Sarah had gotten along with them but Laiba had only more reasons to feel awkward in their presence. She sat quietly at the same place, beside Sarah on the corner sofa and tried to be invisible, irrespective of the fact that they were talking about her...and Zeeshan.

Zeeshan is this, Zeeshan is that, Laiba will love this, Laiba will have fun, they will make a cute couple and many more things that she went deaf, dumb and blind about.

Looking at her nails all she could muse was, Why me? Why not Sarah? Why me of all the girls? Why would anyone like Yusuf Othman choose someone like me for his perfect son? Why would anyone like Mrs. Yusuf want someone like me to be her daughter? Why would anyone like Othmans wish for someone like me to become a part of their family?

Laiba couldn't stop herself from fretting over the matter. The Othman existed in some other world, from the world she didn't belong to, from the side of the world she only dreamt of. Then how come someone like them would want someone like her? They were everything she was not.

She questioned herself, 'Isn't this what I always wanted? Isn't this what I always asked? then why is it so hard for me to just accept it's happening?' The sad truth was she knew the answer to her questions. She knew what she was feeling was not uneasiness but fear...

Laiba was in her world, rewinding and replaying, everything that happened in those four hours and the girls were talking to Sarah when Maha received a text.

B: Staying over at a friend's place, can't come..sorry ;(

"WHAT?" Maha snapped furiously, looking at the text with wide eyes.

"What's wrong?" Areesha asked, moving a little forward in her seat to peek at her phone.

"Burhan bailed on us.." She replied, mouth tightening. "That idiot just texted me, saying, he can't come.." She threw her head back and growled, aggravated.

"What??? He is saying to us that NOW???" Habeeba was mad at him as well.

"Forget him, it's getting late. I'm calling Aariz." Areesha said, taking her cell phone out of her clutch.

"Wait!!" Habeeba held up her hands as an idea popped into her mind, "Not Aariz, call Zeeshan." She said, grinning at Laiba who looked alarmed.

"Ohhhh yeaaahh.." Everyone dragged their eyes towards Laiba and then smiled at each other, getting the idea.

Laiba's eyes were as wide as saucer when she registered, what they were about to do. 'No, no, no, no, nooo....' Her heartbeats raced as she saw Areesha dialling a number on her cell phone. 'NO!! Don't!!' She wanted to stop her, tell her that she was not ready for it yet but what she did was, purse her lips tightly and watch it happening...

A few seconds later, the person on the other side picked Areesha's call, "Hello!" She pressed the device against her ears, "Zeeshan? Where are you?" Talking, she walked out of the hall, leaving her to gasp at what was about to come.

Sarah stomped Laiba's foot in excitement, making her jump in her seat. "Zeesshann..." Sarah gushed in her ears in a dramatically low voice. "They are calling Zeeshan."

Laiba turned and glared as hard as she could but Sarah only winked and wiggled her eyebrows teasingly at her.

"He's coming.." Areesha announced, tapping her cell phone on her palm while walking into the hall.

Maha and Habeeba high-fived each other, giggling as Laiba sat there, looking paler than before when the girls resumed their talks, unaware of the state they had left her in.

"Sarah, you have seen Zeeshan, haven't you?" Areesha asked her right hand on her left shoulder, stopping her dupatta from slipping.

"Yeah, I have.." Sarah agreed, "But that was five years ago. At Urooba's wedding, that's when I met every one of you."

"By the way, Laiba," Habeeba remembered something suddenly, "Did we tell you, you have a sister-in-law?"

Hesitating, Laiba shook her head in negative, turning pink. They had decided she was going to marry their brother even before she gave any answer at all.

"Well, now you know you have one. Her name is Urooba and she lives with her husband, a little far away from the city so we couldn't bring her with us, today but you will meet her very soon.." She told her, "She was so excited when we told her about you and Zee..she asked me to warn you that she'll not talk to you if you buy your bridal dress without her."

Everyone laughed, even Laiba smiled genuinely this time. Urooba sounded sweet.

"Oh my god, she hasn't changed much after marriage, has she? Do you remember-"

Laiba tuned them out, turning away. She couldn't believe this was happening. One week, just one week and everything changed from Shebaz to Zeeshan. It was confusing. Even though she thankfully never developed anything for Shebaz besides respect in her heart, it still was hard to think of another guy so soon.

She glanced at the night through the window and with slow movements, hugged herself as she suddenly felt chilled to the bones. Her hands were moon cold yet sweating, and her head felt heavy, like fainting. They would let her sleep if she told them she was feeling giddy, wouldn't they? They would let her rest if she told them how tired she was but for some reason, she stayed. She leaned against the sofa and closed her eyes, trying to prepare herself for the forthcoming moment, both physically and mentally.

In nervousness, chewing on her lower lip to the point where it was red and swollen, unbeknownst to her, she drifted off to sleep, right there on the sofa amidst her sisters-in-law-to-be.

Fifteen minutes later. She woke up with a jerk of her head to the voices of people talking around her. She sat up straight, closed her eyes and reopened them wider, trying to register the scene in front of her. Areesha, Maha and Habeeba were standing at a distance, making a circle and discussing something. She rolled her lower lip and bit it, remembering everything, the guest, the proposal, Zeeshan...' ALLAHHH!!!' She face palmed herself in utter embarrassment. Did she just sleep in front of them? 'YA-ALLAH!!' She shook her head, covering her face with her hand. 'Why does this happen only to me?'

"Laiba," Habeeba saw her awake and came rushing towards her, "Thank god, you're awake."

Laiba stood up abruptly, "I'm sorry, I-I'm so sorry," She told her, waiting for the ground to open up and swallow her. "I don't know how I slept-"

"Hey! Hey!" Habeeba placed her hand on her shoulders, "It's okay, it's okay.." She patted, trying to lessen her embarrassment.

"No, it's...not" She was saying, covering her face and shaking her head rapidly. "I'm sorry.." She was so abashed that she wanted to cry.

Meanwhile, someone was honking like a mad person outside.

"Okay, you are forgiven, if that makes you happy," Habeeba said in a hurry, looking out of the window. "Listen, We are leaving, Allah hafiz." She said, leaning and kissing her cheek.

"Wh-what??" Laiba walked behind her towards Maha and Areesha, looking for Sarah all the while. "Where's Sarah?" She frowned when she found her nowhere in the hall.

"She went to the washroom a few minutes ago and I guess, slept there..." Maha informed her while they hugged. She took a step back and smiled.

The honks interrupted them again.

"God! This is so not like Zeeshan." Areesha muttered, rolling her eyes before she gave her a hug, "Allah hafiz." She smiled before turning and walking away like a model on the runway with Maha following closely behind her.

Habeeba took her hand in hers and asked, "Aren't you going to see us off?"

Laiba hesitantly nodded her head, wishing Sarah would come out of the washroom then. In a state of haze, she exited the drawing room and started walking across the hall, towards the double door, letting Habeeba drag her along with her, knowing well she wouldn't be able to move an inch if she was left for herself.

Lub-dub.

Lub-dub.

Lub-dub.

With every step she took towards the door, her heartbeats were becoming louder and louder. Her ears were disabled and she could hear nothing but the sound of her heartbeats, banging it's wall like a crazy animal with every inch she covered between Him and her.

When they reached the doorway, she retrieved her hand from Habeeba's grip. "NO." She protested in a voice barely audible, dropping her head down low.

"What? Why?" Habeeba questioned her, looking at her restlessly with one leg on the veranda and the other on the step below, "You are allowed to see your spouse-to-be, you know that right?" She frowned.

"I know," She agreed, eyes down. "I'm okay standing here." She said.

Habeeba stared at her for a while and then looked at the guy, standing in front of the gate with his back to them. Maha and Areesha had already gone and sat inside the car. He leaned a little inside the car through the window and honked again, signalling her to hurry up.

"Fine, your wish.." She turned and gave her a 'goodbye' smile before stepping down. "It was nice meeting you, Laiba." She shouted in the air as she descended the stairs and almost jogged the rest of her way towards the car.

At the doorway, Laiba happened to find Miss. Husna, a senior maid who had been serving the Ahmeds since Sarah was a babe. Laiba was grateful for having Miss.  Husna was with her at the moment, not that she was close with her but at least she was not completely alone.

The night was rich purple with stars twinkling in the sky, gleaming down at the Ahmed residence that was already bright with every luminescent lamp lined along the fences, lit, illuminating the whole courtyard. Halfway across the gate, Habeeba came to an abrupt halt when she saw the guy turning around. She frowned and then sped up to him who was now facing towards the house, leaning against the car with his eyes narrowed angrily at her.

Here, Laiba saw him too and forgot to breathe for a second. Even though he was standing a good distance away from her, even though, she couldn't see his face quite clearly, she could say he was gorgeous. He wasn't very tall but wasn't short either, he wasn't very thin and he wasn't bulky either, he had that messed up hair she saw actors flaunting in the movies and he had that chiselled jaw that she saw the models carrying in the runway, he had that beautiful face that she never thought existed. He was simply way too..gorgeous for her.

"Laiba dear, don't mind me saying but your fiancé is honestly very handsome.." Miss. Husna commented, smiling broadly.

Laiba gulped and quickly muttered a 'Mashallah' at the compliment. She bit her lip and forced herself to look away, reminding herself that she sure was allowed to look at her spouse-to-be but not that long.

Outside the gate, Habeeba stopped and looked at the person, "Aariz," She moved and glanced inside the car behind him, checking if Zeeshan was there. "Where is Zeeshan?" She asked when she found only Areesha and Maha in the car. "What are you doing here?"

"What am I doing here? Really???" Aariz grunted, "I left my sleep, drove all the way here to pick you girls in the middle of the night and you ask me what I am doing here?" He towered her, looking down at her with smouldering eyes.

"Ba-ba-but," She stuttered, leaning away from him, knowing well how much Aariz hated waiting and how much he loved his sleep. "I thought Zeeshan was coming.." She gulped, clutching her purse against her chest.

Looking at her frightened state, he backed off. "He is tired so he sent me. Now, get inside or else I'm leaving without you.." He warned her, turning and opening the door of the driving seat.

"Shit!" Habeeba suddenly exclaimed, her hands flying to her head as she remembered about Laiba.

Aariz groaned, turning as his one leg was on the ground and the other, inside the car. "What now?" He snapped, frustrated with her already.

"Wait a second." She turned and cupped her hand around her mouth, "LAIBA." She shouted at the top of her lungs.

"What the hell?" Aariz muttered with clenched jaws. "What do you think you are doing? You are gonna wake-" He stopped when he saw her waving her hands towards the girl standing on the veranda.

Habeeba pointed her finger towards Aariz and then waved her hand, gesturing to Laiba that 'Aariz was not Zeeshan' but Laiba got it wrong. She thought Habeeba was bidding her 'goodbye' and so she waved her back.

Aariz's mind was disoriented as he squinted his eyes at the girl, timidly waving her hand at Habeeba. Their eyes met and then she dropped her hand, looking away. He noticed her slowly sliding behind Miss. Husna as if hiding herself from him.

When Habeeba passed him to get to the car, he asked her, eyes on the girl who had created chaos in his mind from the moment he led his eyes on her, "Is she, She?"

"Yeah, she's Laiba." She replied, getting inside the car.

He tilted his head and frowned when he caught her peeping over at him, from Miss. Hisna's shoulder.

Still looking at her, he took a step backwards, then another, then another and until he reached the car. He got inside after popping the door open and lowering himself into the driving seat.

With a last glance at her, he started the engine and zoomed away with his eyebrows, furrowed.

Laiba felt her heart sinking as he drove away..far away from her sight. She sighed, her shoulder falling loosely on either side of her, exasperatedly. She rubbed her face, wishing she would be able to erase his face as well because something told her that the face she saw a few seconds ago, was going to keep her up, all night.

On the other side, while driving back to the Othman house, all Aariz could think of was, 'I have seen her somewhere, I have seen that face..but where?'

********************************************************

Not caring to knock, Zeeshan barged into his brother's bedroom door, still in his night clothes. The room was dark for the blinds drawn across the French windows, cutting the mere source of the light. It was the incessant tune of the air-conditioner running and the tick-tocks of the clock, besides silence that greeted him. He left the door ajar and sauntered towards the bed, where Aariz was sleeping soundlessly in the humongous-sized bed, his whole body hidden under the canopy of an enormous snow-white quilt.

Zeeshan's weight dipped into the feathery mattress as he launched himself onto the bed, "AARIZZ, WAKE UPPP," He grabbed the quilt and uncovered him, "AARIZZ!!" He screamed in his ears, jostling his shoulders back and forth with all his might.

"Urgh," He growled in his sleep and pushed Zeeshan's face roughly before turning his head to the other side. "GO AWAY!" He shouted, pressing a pillow against his face.

It was Sunday, the only day Yusuf Othman allowed them to sleep until late but nobody in the Othman house slept as late as Aariz. He had always crossed limitations and had never lived within boundaries but always beyond them.

"Momma," Zeeshan cried, looking at the ceiling helplessly. No task is more arduous than that of waking people from sleep. He leapt over his body and out of the bed as he sat on the floor, facing him, "Aariz please, get up! It's already 1 for god's sake!" He pleaded, creases forming on his forehead with exasperation.

He nuzzled his face further against the pillow, trying to tune him out.

"I'm leaving for London in not less than three hours and I have to meet Laiba and her family before first." Zeeshan snatched the pillow from him and revealed his face. "She agreed to meet me today, Riz." He pronounced every word vehemently, looking straight into his brother's sleepy eyes.

Laying on his bed with his upper body bare, his skin red and hot with sleep and with his hair messily covering his forehead, he stared blankly at Zeeshan with half-closed eyes for a few seconds before pulling the quilt over his head.

Zeeshan sighed, his shoulders falling weakly on either side of him. "Listen, I can't go there alone. I want you to accompany me. You will, won't you?" He nudged him, knowing well he was listening. "You have to. Come on! get up!!!" He gave him a hard shove.

"Get lost!" Came his muffled retort.

Zeeshan chuckled, perceiving he was awake and was only pretending to sleep. "Freshen up and come down, you have fifteen minutes." He ordered, standing up on his feet and walking towards the door.

A pillow came flying at Zeeshan and he dodged it with his hands, laughing. "I love you too." He cooed before disappearing behind the door

Once the door was shut, Aariz unveiled the quilt from his face. For a minute, he kept staring at the dark ceiling as he listened to his breathing in solitude. Then he grudgingly pulled himself up in a sitting position with his legs bent. He draped his hands around his thighs as he laid his head on his knees, musing on what Zeeshan just appraised him. Last night, he had tried to recall where he had seen Laiba before but had ended up sleeping without answers. She was familiar and unfamiliar to him at the same time. He thought of sharing his suspicion with Zeeshan but he was not even sure if he had seen her in the past or if it was just his imagination so he decided to give his doubts some rest, that is, until he was certain of anything first.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid...or not?

******************************************************************

Sarah slid open the wardrobe's translucent door to the left and thrust her hand inside, turning on the in-built lights. She took a step back and stood with her hands on her hips, her eyes narrowing at every dress hanging from the hangers. There was a mustard colour dress, next to it was a lime yellow dress, then pale yellow, then bright yellow, then yellow, then yellow and only yellow.

She pursed her lips in a hard line and shook her head disapprovingly before turning towards Laiba who was sitting on the window sill. "You very badly need to rebuild your wardrobe." She stated, directing her attention back to the piles of yellows.

"Why? What's wrong with my wardrobe?" Laiba replied, scratching her eyebrows. She had just arrived from the shower and was grabbed in a baby pink bathrobe and a towel of the same colour wrapped around her head.

"Seriously?" She grabbed a mango colour top in her hands and spun on her heels, facing her. "I'm tired of watching you wearing yellow." She announced, gesturing to the dress in her hands.

"Yellow is a pretty nice colour I suppose.." Laiba shrugged, unconcerned.

"But this is craziness.." Sarah hurled the top at her, "-there's nothing but yellow in here."

"That's not true," Laiba defended, "What about that black, white and some blue colour dresses over there?" She jabbed her finger at the left corner of the wardrobe, where a few distinct colour dresses were hung.

"You mean the ones I bought you last year?" She raised her eyebrows, "Are you telling me you are gonna go in front of Zeeshan in one of those old clothes?" She looked at her incredulously.

"I never said that, did I?"

Sarah raised her hands, looking at the ceiling. "God!!! Help me," She wailed, sporting a crying face.

"What?"

"You should be the one standing here and fretting over what to wear." She pointed, tapping her right foot on the floor.

"I already have a dress in my mind.." She informed her, untangling the towel from her hair.

"Don't tell me it's yellow." Sarah mocked, crossing her arms.

Laiba smiled, throwing the towel on the bed. She passed Sarah to take her place in front of the wardrobe and started digging and searching through hangers, "Here," She pulled out a mustard colour skirt and a black polka-dotted white blouse and held it in front of Sarah, "What do you think of this?"

Sarah stepped forward and took the dress in her hands, flipping it over and over as she assessed it. "It-It's," She walked towards the full-length mirror and held the dress against her body. She tilted her head, looking up and down. "-nice," She turned and nodded at her, smiling with satisfaction. "I like it. This will do."

"I know." Laiba smiled back, gathering her wet strands off her shoulders and inspecting them.

"Hey! Laiba?" Sarah dropped the dresses on the bed, "I forgot to ask you, what happened last night? Did you meet Zeeshan?" She queried curiously, suddenly recalling about the previous night.

Laiba was caught off-guard. Her expression said it all as she stood there, looking at her blanking, processing the question.

"OHMYGOSH!!" Sarah grabbed her arms and pulled her towards the bed, making her sit with her. "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my GOSH!!!" She exclaimed, jumping on the bed. "How was he? Did you like him? Oh my god, did you guys talk? Tell me EVERYTHING!!!" She started bombarding her with myriads of questions, all at once.

"Heavens! Relax!" Laiba calmed her down, placing her hands on either of her shoulders, "Take a deep breath! Yes, like that." She instructed, an amused expression on her face. "Your enthusiasm regarding my matrimony is quite overwhelming.." Laiba let out a breathy laugh, smiling ear to ear.

"Stop dodging the topic and tell me already." Sarah squeaked.

Laiba sighed, her hands falling off her shoulders. "We didn't meet," She said with a cringed nose, "I just saw him, um, from a distance."

"From a distance? Is that all?" Sarah was disappointed, "Give me more details, did he see you?" She dragged herself forward and searched her eyes.

"Yes and no, I don't know." She looked away, refusing to meet her gaze.

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"I think he did, happy?" Laiba replied, "Now spare me." She joined her palms together in front of her before gathering her dress off the bed.

"Awwwww..." Sarah gushed, hugging her tightly. "That's so cute." She commented, clenching her hands and looking elsewhere with dreamy eyes.

Laiba rolled her eyes, "How on earth is that cute?"

"You see him, he sees you, eyes meet, heartbeats and then, LOVE LOVE LOVE." She sang in a dramatic voice, standing up on the bed and twirling with both of her hands spread open in the air.

Laiba snorted, "Don't you think your definition of love is a little illogic?"

Sarah lowered herself as she squatted on the mattress and brought her face near hers, "Isn't that what happens in those books of yours?" She arched her eyebrows, gesturing to the opened book that was lying upside down on the bed.

Laiba picked up the book and held it in between them, "It's called fiction for a reason, dear." She said, throwing it back on the bed. "Life teaches you lessons and there is life in every book but no man has or can ever write the right definition of Love.." She sighed, standing up and walking towards the dresser. "It's something that can only be felt, not explained." She finished, hanging the dress on the stand there.

Sarah sat flat on her butt, "I don't get it." She whined, pouting. "Life, love, book, definition, whatever that is. I just wanna know if you like him or not?" She got straight to the point.

Laiba halted near the window and stared at the cloudy sky, repeating the question in her head and asking herself. Do you like him?

That man she saw, was no doubt good-looking, he was the most good-looking guy she had ever laid her eyes on. His upright posture, his dishevelled hair, the contour of his impeccable face, the intensity with which he looked at her, just everything about him was unbelievingly, exceptionally attractive. Yes, attractive. She felt her stomach churn with the confession she just made, she found him very attractive.

She shut her eyes firmly and reopened them, shaking her head vigorously but the image stayed obstinately punctuated in her mind. The image of the man, leaning against a glamorous black car with a face so captivating and with a presence so distracting. No man had ever appealed to her before, they were just some other creations of Allah to her, who could either be as wicked and as ignorant as her father or as humble and as kind as Haider Ahmed. She had known men to be either good or bad, either truth or lie, either life or death, either black or white but she had not known them to be beautiful, not to be attractive, that is, until last night...

"Please, tell me." Sarah's voice brought her out of the reverie.

Laiba turned her head at the voice and found her standing beside her, leaning against the dresser and giving her a puppy dog face with her hands joined together in front of her. "I won't tell a soul, I promise," Sarah begged.

Laiba sighed, perceiving she was never going to let it go. She thought about why it was so important for her to know if she liked him or not. She hated confessing her feelings to anybody, even to herself.

"Please.."

Laiba took a deep breath, "Look-wise? yes."

********************

Aariz was driving, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel while listening to Eminem's 'Stan' that was playing on the stereo of his car. He was clad in denim jeans and a white linen shirt, the sleeves of which folded up to his elbows. His hair was gelled up perfectly, leaving no strands on his forehead. He murmured the song under his breath along with the singer, bobbing his head as he drove to the local convenience store, which was a fifteen-minute drive from the Othman house.

He was halfway there when his cell phone, sitting on the dashboard of the car, started vibrating. Aariz extended his left hand in mean meantime and caught the device before it fell. He glanced at the caller ID and hissed, checking the time. It was 3:10 and the person calling him was Zeeshan.

He turned off the stereo and quickly picked up the call, putting the phone on the holder and turning the speaker on.

"WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU????" Zeeshan was shouting on the other side, his voice rough with anger and frustration.

Aariz grimaced, his eyes on the road. "I'm near home..don't worry, I'll be there in a minute."

"You better be, Aariz. Do you even know what time it is? We are getting late!! You always disappear at the last minute!!!" Zeeshan was brooding over the phone, sounding worried and nervous at the same time.

Aariz took a turn from the street, rotating the steering wheel while glancing back and forth, "What's the rush about? Only the people who have nowhere else to be, arrive right on time..trust me, it's not cool at all. Let's go fashionably late." He suggested, waving hands as if he was there.

"Oh yeah! And fashionably miss your flight." He mimicked him.

Aariz laughed as he slowed down the car, looking out of the window for a parking space.

"-Keep your cool hacks with yourself. It isn't right to keep them waiting.."

Aariz pulled the car over the space and killed the engine, "You don't want to keep them waiting or you can't wait to see her??" He teased, clicking the seat belt open and collecting the keys from the ignition. "Despo Zeeshan!"

"I'm not being desperate, I'm just concerned about my flight.." Zeeshan launched and defended himself, justifying his action. "To be honest, I just want to get this over with."

"Okay! I gotta go..see you in a bit." He leaned and disconnected the call, sliding his fingers against the screen. He opened the door and got out, pulling a pair of designer sunglasses over his ash-grey eyes. He pocketed the car keys in the back pocket of his denim jeans and proceeded towards the store.

On reaching, he pushed the glass door open and sauntered in, running his fingers through his hair. He needed a few empty CDs for the assignment he was working on. Without wasting one more second, he went straight to the multimedia section and asked for them.

Aariz was leaning against the counter and glancing around the place, waiting for the salesgirl to arrive with his stuff when his eyes fell on the magazines that were placed on the racks, near the billing area. His eyes casually grazed them but paused when he caught something familiar in his vision. For a second, he didn't recognise Her but as he squinted his eyes at the front page, it was clear that it was Her.

He slowly, in a state of shock and uncertainty, took a step forward and another and another, his eyes fixated on the familiar face on the front pages of the magazines. Every noise around him was tuned out, everything around him was blanked out as he robotically moved towards the rack, his eyebrows knitted together, his hands clenched into a fist and his jaws tight. His heartbeats fastened with every step, and his eyes widened with every step. He halted near the rack and stared at the face with smouldering eyes.

***********************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 127K 65
•Completed• *Read only if you can accept the grey shade of life* The Kazi was called in, a few prayers were read in a tongue unknown to her and then...
379K 19.2K 34
Fahad, a 29 year old business man who has no interest in marriage agrees reluctantly after his mother insists him to get settled in life. Laiba, a vi...
348K 23.6K 30
NOOR SHEIKH "He always loved her and he still love her, I was never his priority" MUHAMMAD DAIYAN MALIK "You are nothing but a replacement of my firs...
64.1K 4.7K 22
Thanks to my Aaru (@__aaaarya___) for the gorgeous cover picture. Copyright Disclaimer: I don't own any rights of pictures used if any. They belong...