In The Spotlight | āœ”ļø

By KiwiAndKoalas

ā If she doesn't scare the life out of you a little, she isn't the one. āž Mckayla Silva has had enough. En... More

Prologue
The Characters
[ 1 ] Stupid Sass
[ 2 ] Dress to Unimpress
[ 3 ] Incredibe Innuendos
[ 4 ] Karma's a b*tch
[ 5 ] Gin and Tonic Traumas
[ 6 ] Second Hand Embarssment
[ 7 ] Misleading Words
[ 8 ] Shut Up and Drive
[ 9 ] Laced Up
[ 10 ] Moody Moo
[ 11 ] Stolen Kisses
[ 12 ] Blue Moon
[ 13 ] Legless and Lost
[ 14 ] Scarred Eyes
[ 15 ] Date Crashing
[ 16 ] Beg, Borrow and Steal
[ 17 ] Food Baby Fiasco
[ 18 ] Burnt Touch
[ 19 ] Family, Friends and FaceTime
[ 20 ] Careless Cupid
[ 22 ] Midnight Frenzies
[ 23 ] Buttercups and Daisies
[ 24 ] Missing to be Found
[ 25 ] The Price of Fashion
[ 26 ] Playing Along
[ 27 ] The Phone Call
[ 28 ] Hindered Success
[ 29 ] Not-so-Cinderella
[ 30 ] Flight of Fantasy
[ 31 ] Melting like a Snowman
[ 32 ] Irregular Regular Routine
[ 33 ] Word Twister
[ 34 ] Fishy Footage
[ 35 ] Bob the Bouncer
[ 36 ] Chocolate Freak
Epilogue
Author's Note

[ 21 ] Mean Girls Incarnate

588 49 4
By KiwiAndKoalas

"And action!" I yelled, snapping the clapper board. To be honest, it was probably my most favourite part of the day. I gave a heads up to Keith who began pouring the snow over River and Clara, who's hands were laced together. I surveyed her as she closed her eyes as River nestled up into the crook of her neck. When I realised that I was holding the chair so tight that it was probably going to snap, I let go quickly. One look at the not so happy expression on my mums face tells me that I was probably a splitting image if her a mere second ago. I have to remind myself that this isn't real.

Now focus on the damn storyboard Mckayla.

I shook my head. What the hell was I just thinking about? Get a grip of yourself. God, I was turning into a hopeless romantic like my mum. Ugh. On that note, my mum stood up and walked away from the set, with a smile of her face.

I'd given up on working out what was going on in her mind and carry on shooting.

The rest of the day breezes past, only with the pressure of my whole family sitting on set. They hadn't been lying when they said that they'd see me in the morning.

In the evening, I was sitting watching the almost complete video again and again. We only had one scene left and I was pretty surprised how we managed to pull it off with so little time. Mum had decided to make pastries for everyone which was why she left the set earlier. Thankfully, it hadn't ended badly and everyone on the crew were showering her and me in compliments for how nice they were.

It did feel a bit random for her to have sabotaged the kitchen on set to make some pastries but it wasn't like we were completely normal.

Turning around, I saw Joel blinking back at me from behind his glasses. "Hey, um... I saved you some food."

I smiled warmly at him, taking one of the pastries that he outstretched towards me. "That's nice of you, you didn't need to."

After a moment of awkward silence, I tried to look away. You didn't need a genius to realise that that was supppsed to mark the end of the conversation.

Now I was left devouring the pastry like a fricking ogre whilst Joel watched me. "Mckayla?"

"Mhm?" I said, my mouth currently stuffed with food.

He scratched the back of his neck, "Umm... I was wondering if you wanted to-"

"Joel! Have you tried one of these?" River called walking towards me, holding up an odd looking pastry. Joel looks shocked as to why River was talking to him but nodded. "Have another one, you know they're amazing!" He said before shoving it into Joel's mouth, and leading me away from him.

I shot him an odd look, "What the hell was that?"
"Your mums pastries are delicious!"
"River."

"Oh my god, Clara! Are you- are you pregnant?" I heard Harley scream in an ultra loud voice, higher pitched than usual.

Oh shit.

I turned around to see Clara walking around with her hand crossed over her chest. Sure enough, her stomach was swollen. God, she looked like a pufferfish, with her hair in all direction like she's just flown out a plane. I mentally rewind an hour ago to when she was on set. I'm pretty sure she wasn't as podgy then. Her head whipped towards Harley as she gave him the middle finger and storms away.

A thought entered my head as my face drops. Hah, the scenario sounded awfully like in Mean Girls like when-
I paused, a thought entering my head.
Mum couldn't have... I sprinted dramatically to the kitchen and when the door opened my mum shot me an apologetic smile.

Why?

You see, that was probably the moment where I thoroughly regretted introducing my mum to Mean Girls since they had clearly inspired her little act. I was about to scream at her when she held her hand up, "Sorry Mckayla, but that Spanish bitch was annoying me," I froze, surprised. I'd rarely heard my mother swear. "Besides this wasn't my idea..."

If it wasn't her idea then he's could it-
Oh. I don't say anything and instead turned around, prepared to go on a man hunt for River. Someone wanted to die before Christmas.

"Kayla honey, wait!" My mum called after me and I begrudgingly paused. I didn't know if I was proud of her or annoyed or a bit of both. "He's only doing it because he likes you, you idiot! You're perfect together! He's the cheese to your chalk?"

I shot my mum a wierd look. Was she right in the head? Actually, I already knew the answer to that. I'd followed in her footsteps after all. "Uh mum, you do know that chalk and cheese don't go together?

Point proven.

She crouched down, checking the dodgy pastries that were in the oven. "You know what I mean. Why else would he suggest it?"

I paused for a moment contemplating. He did practically shove one in Joel's face-
"Shut up, Makayla," I said to myself, awakening from my stupid daze. Just because I had never bothered to interact with men didn't mean that he hadn't either. I mean with woman. Like for him, not me. Calm yourself Mckayla.
Before I could do anything stupid, I walked away.

I had better things to think about. Like my birthday which was in two days.

-xXx-

I'd always been extra about the little things. I'd always thought that they still should mean a lot. Which was why I was currently making a list of what I want for my birthday tomorrow, and sending the message to my family. Talk about last minute.

I did need a new phone since my current one had developed an attraction towards the floor ever since it had arrived in America.
I quickly typed chocolate too.

I jumped a little when River walked into the hotel after going to the golf course near the hotel. "Hey Kayla, I forgot you'd be here. What are you doing?" He asked, cheerily strolling in.

The bugger wasn't missing a single opportunity in bringing the fact that my family had kicked me out of my room. I chose not to take the bait. "Not much, how was it?"

I watched as he lay back on the bed sighing, "Alright, pretty boring actually." We fell into a comfortable silence and after a few moments, I pulled out my phone again and continue adding stuff to the list.

Thorntons or Lindt?

"Hershey's!" River says behind me, as I find that he's been letting at my phone for the last minute.
I shrugged my shoulders pursing my lips, "I don't know... Thornton are pretty good?"

"Wait, can you buy Thorntons chocolates in Ney York?" I asked him. Or were they not available here.

I panicked for a moment at the thought of a world without Thorntons.
"Nope, not here," he says before gesturing dramatically. "But why would you need Thorntons when you have Hershey's?!"

My mouth drops. Was he for real? I stammered for a moment, trying to gasp the concept. "So- so you've never had a Thorntons chocolate?"

He chuckled before imitating me me, "So- so you've never had a Hershey's chocolate?"

I hadn't to be fair.

"Prick," I smacked him on the arm, a faint smile at my lips. How desperate was I to prove my point?

I bitted my lip. It wasn't like I was going to be in New York forever. I wasn't like I was going to be working with River forever?

I grinned standing up before grabbing my coat, "Right, I'm going to introduce you to the world of Thorntons."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7M 518K 74
Mia Collins just wanted to get through her senior year of high school with as minimal awkward situations as possible. However, that's kind of hard to...
230K 13.7K 38
"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes," I confirmed it. "Threw a drink in hi...
512K 10.8K 36
{MAFIA ROMANCE} "You, Aria, are like a piece of music that I could listen to, over and over again, and never get tired of hearing." Aria Remington w...
1.8M 64.6K 47
"You have already ruined my life, what else do you want?", I barked at him. "Ten minutes", he muttered. "What?", I asked as I was unable to hear him...