THE MISFORTUNE OF CITRUS

By Queen_Jenesis

description inside. completed 2020. More

0.
00.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
08.
09.
010.
011.
012.
013.
014.
015.
016.
017.
018.
019.
020.
021.
022.
023.
024.
025.
026.
027.
028.1
028.2
029.
030.

07.

9.9K 749 383
By Queen_Jenesis

Chapter Seven.

"Ain't you married?" —Reese Wilson.

Louisiana State University

Rubbing her tired eyes with the insides of her palms, Citrus let out a large yawn. Her eyes were dry from staring at the lecture board for so long while the middle aged professor known as Professor Robinson scribbled down his version of notes.

Citrus loathed the lecture days because the Professor was extremely pundit in it. He could go on and on throughout the whole fifty minute period, without so much as a break or a breath. Citrus knew that he got paid to do so, but with her learning style; just sitting and listening to a person talk never worked out for her. She was more hands on and the moving around and actually doing something type.

She lived for activities like debates, class discussions, learning based games, and projects. Lectures just were not for her.

Twirling the straw in the empty disposable coffee cup wishing that she hadn't downed all of it within the first ten minutes of class, Citrus's eyes shifted over to a raised hand that just so happened to belong to Miranda.  A sophomore and biology major who only took this Activism and Human Rights class, for the extra few credits.

Citrus mentally rolled her eyes. Miranda was a good student but she was the type to always ask questions, even if they were unnecessary. Those questions would take up majority of the class time too, leaving the Professor to yet another lecture for the following class. They were behind on so much work, solely because of Miranda and all of her inquires.

"Miranda?" Professor Robinson picked her, "What is it?"

Miranda lowered her hand and gave a slight smile, before throwing out her concern, "Let's say a person is at the point in their lives. Where negative things are constantly being thrown at them. Shouldn't it be human to feel like there's no point of living?"

Citrus's ears perked up at that question. She could empathize with that statement, there was a period of time where her life wasn't at the best place and she started to feel like there was no point.

Professor Robinson, ran his hands along his suit before opening his mouth to speak.

"No," A male voice from the back of the room sounded, "If anything, that's the best time to be grateful. You see, I feel that when we're constantly being put through bad conditions. It's a way for the man upstairs to test our ability and strengths. We're all here for a reason...a purpose. So how are we able to discover our purpose if we aren't able to know what we can't and can handle?"

All eyes shifted towards the door where the owner of the voice stood leaning against it.

Citrus found herself drooling, not literally but figuratively. He was extremely handsome.

At about six foot three, with the perfect build. He wasn't too skinny and too thick or muscled up either. He had just enough meat and muscle on him to make it known that he hit the gym from here to there. From the depth of his eyes to the gentle yet authoritative expressions of his voice, he was a true sight to see. He was dressed comfortable in a plain white tee, with grey Nike sweat-shorts, and Nike air maxes. He had a medium sized gold chain around his neck with the letter T for the pendent. His arms, legs, hands, and face were tattoo free. Showing off his smooth, canna shaded skin.

Citrus's eyes traveled down to his plump, heart-shaped lips, then his welly groomed beard and mustache that surrounded them. She continued taking him in until the tapping of her shoulder brought her out of the slight trance she had managed to fall into.

"Yes?" She turned towards the person that sat beside her.

Reese was a smooth talking, light-skinned, tatted up freshman from Virginia with a head full of hair and arrogance. Citrus only conversed with him when he needed answers, and they weren't working on anything now so she was confused on why he needed her.

"He's asking you a question," He pointed to the door. "And ya' ass been staring for five minutes straight. Drooling and shit," He whispered, "Ain't you married?" He pursed his lips forward before pointing out her ring.

Citrus rolled her eyes before turning towards the guy. He in fact was staring at her along with everyone else, awaiting some type of response.

"I'm sorry," She quickly apologized. Her fingers began shaking and she felt herself growing hot, "Can you repeat that fa' me, please?"

"I asked if you could possibly relate? You seemed interested in my response so," He chuckled, causing all thirty-two crimson whites to show.

"No," Citrus quickly shook her head. She knew that she could, she just wasn't for allowing strangers into her business, "I just appreciated what you said, that little speech was inspirational."

"Little?" He cocked his perfectly arched eyebrow.

"I didn't mean it like that," Citrus shut down his assumptions, "That's just how I talk, I'm not trying to offend you or anything that you said. I liked it a lot, I just. Sorry," She closed her mouth. She felt like she had already embarrassed herself enough.

"You straight, beautiful," He smiled once again.

'Oh God.' Citrus thought to herself. 'That smile.'

"I get what you're getting at," He continued before looking towards Professor, "I'll just take my seat, sorry for the disturbance, and my tardiness."

"Just don't let it happen again," He pointed towards the array of free-seats before returning back towards the board.

"He gon' bring his bobble-headed ass, Mr Steal Your Girl, this right here a Panty Dropper," Reese sung out, "Ass right the hell over here,"He looked towards Citrus who was now consumed in her notes, "You heard me?"

Citrus darted her eyes towards him and told him to be quiet with her finger.

Reese shrugged before he looked behind Citrus and towards the mystery guy who now stood above the both of them. He pointed to the empty chair on the right of her, and Reese nodded just as Citrus turned towards him.

"I was just asking if this seat was free," He pulled it out and sat down.

Citrus swallowed the spit in her throat and nodded.

"With that being said, I'd like to introduce our next project," Professor Robinson grabbed all of their attention.

"This nigga," Reese blew out a breath of frustration, "I still ain't turn in the last one, the fuck?"

Citrus snorted.

"Ion know why you laughing either cause if it's partners, best believe we working together sweetheart."

"As long as you do your part," She shrugged before looking back towards the board.

The Professor went into further depth on the project. The goal, when it was due, what he expected, and more. Before he passed out the rubrics, and dismissed everyone.

"Four months?" Reese popped his neck out, "Say the fuck less, the last two weeks sound good to you? We could meet up and get it all done?" He tapped Citrus, as she gathered up all of her papers and books.

"Do you know how complex this project is?" She looked him over, "It determines if I walk or not in May, so if you plan to play around then I'll just work by myself."

Reese nodded, "No cap, projects ain't even my thing, so I'm not finna set you up and put you through all that stress. I'll just use Miranda cause that bitch irritating. See you on Wednesday, Citrus," He threw out a thumbs up before going about his way.

Citrus laughed at his antics before she focused back on packing all of her belongings up. This was her last class for the day, and she couldn't be happier. From waking up at five a.m, to going to and from five fifty minute classes from here to now, she could say that she was beyond exhausted. She prayed that Braelin was actually on time today, and waiting right outside for her in the parking lot because she did not have the energy to wait forever.

"It's um Citrus, correct?"

Citrus looked to the side of her where the guy was now standing to his full height. He caressed his beard and looked into her eyes, as he waited on her to respond.

"Yeah," She nodded, "That's me."

"I wasn't eves-dropping or anything, I just happened to overhear," He began, "Would you like to work on this project, together? I'm a reliable partner," He threw his hands back in reassurance, "It's my senior year, so I'm tryna' walk just like you."

"Um,"Citrus tilted her head to the side, "I don't know."

She didn't like putting her education in the hands of people she wasn't too familiar with. Her grades were the second most important thing in her life, she took them very serious.

"No pressure. Just a suggestion," He licked over his lips, "I don't want to hold you for too long, so just think over it and let me know next class, okay?"

Citrus nodded.

"Yair....that's my name. Yair Nixon," He extended his hand out for her to shake, "It was nice meeting you Citrus."

"You too," Citrus took his large hand into hers, "I'll have that answer for you by Thursday."

"For sure," He took his hand back, before taking one last glance at her and making his exit.

Citrus finally took the time to exhale.

"Well I'll be damned," Braelin observed from against the wall, next to the entrance.

Her hand was in the middle of running through her hair, as her eyebrows laid perched up. She held a slick look upon her face, that she was not afraid to show.

"Bitch!" She exclaimed, leaning forward, "You got my ass sitting outside waiting on you, blowing yo' phone up and shit. In dat' hot ass car and you know my AC is broke, and you in here stepping out on Qadir."

"Stop it," Citrus grabbed her bag and walked towards her best friend, "It was jus' a conversation."

"My ass," Braelin looked her over before pursing her lips forward, "Dat' shit looked pretty intense and full of lust ta' me," She crossed her arms, "He was fine as hell though baybeh, so I get it," She smiled before spreading her arms out for a hug once Citrus reached her.

"Whatever," Citrus fell into the embrace.

"You betta' watch yourself around that fine and thick piece of sexiness," Braelin teased once they separated, "Late lunch on me or are you too tired?"

"We could grab a bite," Citrus nodded as she followed behind Brae who led the way.

"Alright so lemme' tell you about my crazy ass day,"She started as they reached the car.

Citrus nodded for her to continue even though she was consumed in her own thoughts.

"Yair Nixon," She mumbled to herself as they pulled off of campus.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 63K 58
"πšƒπš˜ πšπš˜πš›πšπš’πšŸπšŽ πš’πšœ 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚎𝚝 𝚊 πš™πš›πš’πšœπš˜πš—πšŽπš› πšπš›πšŽπšŽ πšŠπš—πš πš›πšŽπšŠπš•πš’πš£πšŽ πšπš‘πšŠπš 𝚒𝚘𝚞 πš πšŽπš›πšŽ πšπš‘πšŽ πš™πš›πš’πšœπš˜πš—πšŽπš› πšŠπš•πš• πšŠπš•...
5.3K 89 10
Just read it
24.3K 1.1K 35
The journey continues....
528K 26.9K 35
❝𝖠𝗇 π–Ίπ–Όπ—π—‚π—ˆπ—‡ 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 π—‹π–Ύπ–½π–Ύπ–Ώπ—‚π—‡π–Ύπ—Œ 𝗍𝗁𝖾 π–Ώπ—Žπ—π—Žπ—‹π–Ύβž Β©π–πŽπ‘πƒπ’ππ˜πŠπ€π˜ 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎 𝗆𝗒 π—π—ˆπ—‹π—„ # 𝟣 𝖠𝖿𝗍𝖾𝗋...