Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 36 The chosen one

656 50 11
By the_hooded_girl

The entire palace had been in an uproar ever since they had returned three weeks ago. Zara had been furious when the guard had escorted her out of her wing and into the harem. She had been cursing and threatening for all the palace to hear. Darius hadn't been worried in the slightest, but Torcan had deemed it wise to gather a few trustworthy men to guard the prince's new bride for the time being. He made sure the entire women's quarters were combed out top to bottom to check on any poison, weapon or other threat that might make the new resident's life cut short. Just to be certain, he had every item that had belonged to Zara removed, from bedding to leftover perfumes. All had been replaced and was now ready.

Elora was like a breath of fresh air, kind to the servants without losing authority. Being free to do as she pleased in the women's' quarters, she had already set up an inner garden with flowers from home.

Zara had never bothered with niceties except to indulge herself. Her only desire had been jewelry and rich clothing, along with expensive perfumes.

Elora mixed her own perfumes from the flowers she grew. She had ordered fresh flowers to be placed in every room in the women's quarters, and the whole wing now looked bright and inviting.

Definitely an improvement.

In other aspects, the girl had much to learn. Having been raised in Lavos made it hard for her to adjust to the Tireze lifestyle. She was trying, but the servants weren't used to her playful nature which led to many misunderstandings.

Likewise, Darius didn't seem to be sure how to handle his new wife. He was stiff but polite. That was at least more than he had been with Zara.

Torcan sighed and settled himself. It was a rare occasion that he had some time to himself, but Darius was with Elora and would not require him for a while.

Torcan unfolded the letter he had received. Another one from Vara, telling him about the disasters with her suitors and the attack on Sylice in the South. His heart went out to her. He hoped she would find someone to share her life with, preferably away from court.

He was pleasantly surprised when he read Ariane was slowly growing more comfortable in her role. She and Cyrus might not be close yet, at least she wasn't afraid to speak to him anymore.

Torcan smiled. It wasn't much, but there was progress. He folded the letter and placed it on the table. He wondered if Darius realized his new wife was much like Vara. Elora might not be as sharp-tongued, she still had the same spirit.

Perhaps it would be a good thing. It might reign in Darius' temper a bit.

Torcan stood up and walked towards the window. It was a nice day. He might get some training in or a ride, before Darius would need him again. He should make use of the opportunity. Soon enough his duties would claim him again.

...

"I can't believe your brother remarried," Vara commented to Ariane. Both girls had received a letter from Torcan, informing them about recent developments. The two of them sat in Ariane's chambers, sharing lunch. Cyrus was in a meeting with the Council to discuss border patrols.

Vara hadn't really wanted to spent time with her somewhat-sister-in-law, but couldn't decline the girl's personal invitation without coming off as rude. So now she was forced to uphold strained conversation until Cyrus returned.

Ariane bit her lip. She hadn't expected it either, but perhaps it shouldn't have surprised her this much. She remembered how Zara had spoken last time they met, about not wanting to give Darius a child. Maybe she was paying the price now. "I'm sure he has his reasons," she said.

"Well, in any case," Vara said, "Lavos is a wealthy nation. It will benefit Tirèze being allied with them."

"Won't it benefit Zeir as well?" Ariane asked.

Vara shook her head. "Not necessarily, but I suppose it opens doors for trade. It's for the king to decide."

Ariane nodded slowly. What Vara said made sense. She wondered what her brother's new bride was like. Torcan had mentioned she was very different from Zara. Kind and free-spirited. It was hard to imagine that kind of woman with her brother.

She looked at Vara hesitantly. "I meant to ask your advice," she said. "Lady Eurydice suggested I invite some of the ladies for a get-together, but I would not know who to ask."

Vara studied her a moment. It was no simple question. Who you chose to surround yourself with at court, sent a message to all the lords and ladies. You had to weed out those that had a double agenda without giving insult to their families. "Are there any who have been kind to you when you first arrived at court?" she asked.

Ariane frowned and shook her head. "You have, but I have not had much time to get to know anyone else. I suppose lord Iolaus' sisters have been kind to me, when we visited their home, but they do not reside at court."

And Vara wasn't so sure she wanted to share her friends with Ariane. She sighed and shook the jealous thought away. "Then you should invite them to visit. And I have another suggestion. Lady Priskilla Tempa."

Ariane frowned. She had heard that name before. "Is she not the lady that engaged herself with your suitor?" Why on earth would Vara want to invite her?

"She is," Vara nodded, "I met her when visiting Genvi. She is very nice and she could use some friends at court." She smiled at Ariane. "You could start with them. It doesn't have to be a large gathering."

Ariane nodded her head. "Thank you."

A throat was being cleared and Chloe curtsied to them. "A messenger, my lady."

Next to the girl stood another servant. He bowed deeply. "The king wishes to speak with you, lady Vara."

Vara frowned. "Is he not with Cyrus in the meeting?"

"He was, my lady," the servant answered, "but the meeting has come to an end. The king has sent for you. He is waiting for you in the council room."

"Thank you, Aeneas," Vara said. She turned to Ariane. "It seems I'm being expected elsewhere. Thank you for your invitation, but I'm afraid I have to leave."

"Of course," Ariane nodded.

Vara stood up and motioned to Iason to follow her. There was thoughtful look on her face.

"What would the king want with you?" Iason questioned.

"I don't know," Vara answered, "but it must be something official or he wouldn't have asked me to come to the council room." Whatever it was, she was certain she wasn't going to like it.

...

When she reached the council room, she found only the king there. He was studying the large map on the table, but looked up when she entered.

Vara curtsied. "You asked for me?"

The king gesture towards a seat at the table and Vara sat down. It took a long time before the king spoke. He seemed to be choosing his words carefully. "I sent a missive to the Matís family that you'll be accepting Felix' hand in marriage."

For a moment Vara couldn't remember how to breathe. "My king?" she asked hoarsely. She could feel the blood drain from her face. She swallowed the lump in her throat. "My king, you promised I would have the choice of it."

King Marcos sighed. "You did have the choice of it, Vara. I myself gave you the letters for you to choose from and you did. You selected three. I let you meet with all of them and you rejected two. That leaves Felix Matís." He looked at her. "You will not marry right away. There is still a few months left before the year is over. That will give you plenty of time for a proper engagement. The union will be officially announced two days from now. He is a fine young man, Vara."

Vara was quiet. She didn't know how to react. The king spoke the truth. She had made her choice, but now she wished she had thought about it longer. When it was still only letters, it had been an idea. Now it was something very real.

She had wanted to marry, if only to get away from court and from seeing Cyrus every day, but now she was afraid.

"Vara," the king said.

She looked at him, her face still pale. "Yes," she muttered, "I understand."

The king nodded. "Felix will arrive at court tomorrow and he will remain here for the time being so you will have the chance to get to know each other better. I expect you to make an effort. Ariane and Cyrus will accompany you two, as is appropriate." He smiled kindly. "Things will be better once you and Felix are wed, Vara. Cyrus will accept it and let go of you. And I have kept my promise. I saw to it that you were well situated."

"You have, my king," Vara said quietly.

He placed a hand against her cheek. "I mean to do well by you, Vara. Even when you leave the palace, I will still provide for you."

"I know," Vara said.

The king nodded gravely and Vara realized suddenly that he looked tired and old. This war was taking a toll on him and the situation with her and Cyrus was probably making things worse.

Vara swallowed and rose to her feet. "I accept Felix' hand in marriage."

The king placed a kiss on her forehead. "I am proud of you." He turned to Iason, who had been politely waiting by the door. "I trust you to keep serving her, soldier, even after she leaves here."

Iason made a deep bow. "My king."

"Go now," the king told Vara, "tomorrow when Felix arrives, you will come greet him, as is proper. Once he is settled, it would be nice if you two visited my parents. And at meals, he will sit beside you."

"Yes, my king," Vara said, "as you wish." She curtsied and left the room. She made sure to keep her composure as she walked down the halls, smiling pleasantly at everyone she encountered., while all she wanted to do was scream.

Iason followed closely behind her and once they were in a more deserted hallway, he leaned towards her. "The training grounds?" he asked quietly.

Vara drew a breath. "I think I'll go out riding."

Iason nodded and told the first servant the encountered to have their horses saddled.

....

The village of Dalós was quiet as ever. Vara dismounted and let Iason take care of the horses. She drew a few breaths and looked around. People were tending to chickens and pigs and goats. A woman was hanging out laundry to dry while another was beating the dust out of a thick mat. Men were hauling water or chopping wood while children ran around the town in a game of tag.

Yes, the quiet life. Exactly what she needed right now.

She made her way over to Eunice's house and found Antonia sitting outside in her chair. A blanket provided her some warmth. The woman still had the same faraway stare in her eyes, but still Vara found herself kneeling next to the woman and crying with her head in the woman's lap. "Aunt Antonia," she sobbed, "I will be wed. The king has decreed it. Before the year is over I will be someone's wife." She cried. "I'll have to marry Felix Matís, because no one else wants me. Hector Strega wants a wife that sits quietly in a chair and Riccardo Prias loves another girl. And now there is only Felix and he doesn't love anyone but himself. It's not fair, aunt Antonia. I just want to be happy."

Something landed on her head, startling Vara. When she looked up, she noticed it was Antonia's hand. Vara stared at the woman with tear struck eyes. "Aunt Antonia?" she asked confused, "did you... did you move your hand?"

The woman gave no reaction.

"My lady?" Iason's voice was filled with concern. Vara wiped the tears away and smiled at him, even when she knew he wouldn't be fooled. "I'm fine."

"You're not fine," Iason countered, "Vara, can you not tell the king you do not wish to marry lord Felix? You said he left the choice with you."

"I can't," Vara answered, "I gave my word. If I go back on it now, the king may lose the support of his lords. I'll have insulted him. What would you have me do? Stay alone all my life? Being forced to watch Cyrus and Ariane every day? Wanting what I can't have? You don't know what it's like!"

"Perhaps I do," Iason said quietly.

Vara blinked. "What?"

He looked away. "Forget I said anything, my lady. It's not important."

"Don't do that," Vara hissed, "don't hide behind that wall of formalities." She sighed. "Talk to me, please. I can't change my fate, but if there is somewhere, or someone you'd rather be, I can ask the king to release you from your duty. I would miss you, but I wouldn't want to keep you here against your will."

Iason shook his head. How could a girl so clever be so blind? "No," he said, "I don't wish to be released from your service." He watched as relief flashed over Vara's face.

"Vara?" Ethan walked up to them with a stack of large wooden plank in his arms. "I was helping some of the other with the new barn when I saw the horses. Is everything alright?" He looked from Vara to Iason and back.

Vara smiled at him. "I just wanted to let you and Eunice know I will be getting married."

Ethan studied her skeptically. "You can smile all you like, Vee, but you're not fooling anyone. You're not happy with it."

"I will be," Vara said, "I just need to get used to the idea."

"Vee," Ethan said sadly, "why don't you just leave that place? I understand the king took you in when you were a child, but you're not a child anymore. Just come back to Dalós. We'll have a place for you. I know it's just a simple life and you're used to all that fancy stuff now, but we would take care of you."

Vara shook her head. "You know riches don't matter to me, Ethan, but I gave my word. It won't be so bad."

Ethan nodded. "When is all of this going to take place?"

"Before the end of the year," Vara said, "Felix is coming to the palace tomorrow."

"Felix?" Ethan asked, "is that his name?" he sighed. "I hope he'll make you happy, Vee. You deserve it. Let me drop this off and I'll find Eunice. She should be at my mother's house." He motioned at the wood in his arms.

Vara nodded. "Thank you. We'll keep aunt Antonia company until you return."

He smiled at her and went off to deliver the wood.

Vara let out a heavy sigh. For at least a few hours she would feel normal again. This might be the last time she'd set foot in Dalós. After marring Felix, her life would be very different.

It wasn't even the prospect of marrying that had her so on edge. It was the fear of not being able to be herself, of being forced to behave like a puppet, always dancing to someone else's tune. No more riding when she pleased, no more shooting the bow and arrow or climbing the roof of the stables, but becoming a shadow of herself.

But she would face it bravely, even if it would take her away from everything she loved.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

746K 22.6K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
138 1 5
Two strong and independent women. One, who is obvious at what she does. The other, who maintains her subtlety. One, who kills professionally to prote...
1.4K 57 8
It was a beautiful beginning. She was a precious princess who was treasured by her father. Her life should have been filled with beauty, without wint...
46 0 40
In the small kingdom of Satia, a momentous announcement was made - Princess Mia had been declared the next in line for the throne. However, there was...