ALiVE (KHR Fanfic)

By -idxris

『 Dying of Asphyxiation was seriously not my goal in life. 』 Neither was meeting a Governor of the Afterlife... More

0. Intro
1. Breathe
2. Void
3. Life
4. Fall
5. Break
6. Wail
7. Please
8. Timeskip
9. Begin!
10. Reborn!
11. Smile
12. Skylark
13. Baseball
14. Family
15. Lambo
16. Fever
17. Reception
18. Magic
19. Sawada
20. Kids
21. Found
22. Household
23. Cavallone
24. Condition
25. New Year
26. Parents
27. Hospital
28. Blossoms
29. Birth
30. Sea
31. Bazooka
32. Festival
33. Attack
34. Captured
35. Scream
36. Will
37. Stand
38. Sisters
39. Faint
40. Dream
41. Action
42. Recuperate
43. Coincidence
44. Recovered
45. Reprimand
46. Holding on
47. Lost
48. Walk
49. Encount
50. Cold
51. Hint
52. Rain
53. Solace
54. Subconscious
55. Bewildering
56. Summation
57. Celebration
58. Lull
59. Broker
60. Seeing
61. Chess
62. Rat
63. Rot
64. Raid
65. Explosion
66. Dread
67. Switch
68. Ruins
69. Conquer
70. Base
71. Fulfill
72. Name
74. Choice
75. Words
76. World
77. Act
78. Perspectives
79. Speak
80. Truth
81. Final
82. Byakuran
83. Regrets
84. Fare
85. Well
86. My
87. Sister
88. Eve
89. Gone
90. Strength
91. Zen
92. Settle
93. Rose
94. Melancholy
95. Neutral
96. Wimp
97. Staccato
98. Strangle
99. Perception
100. Vindice
101. Juncture
102. Drag
103. Migraine
104. Seclude
105. Spill
106. Curse
107. Pride
108. Worth
109. Progression
110. Almost There
111. Proxy
112. Identity
113. Go
114. Closure
115. His
116. Endure
117. Overcome
118. Kazane
119. Meaning
120. Montage
121. Path
122. Reform
123. Sunrise
124. Decision
125. Recognition
126. Resolution [END]

73. Relation

3K 233 49
By -idxris

73. Relation

Sui

"Eh-" Sui pulled her head out of the machine and turned to me, "Rei-chan?" she had to confirm, "What are you doing here?"

"Time travel, maybe?" I chuckled. Calmly pulling out a handkerchief from my pocket, I wiped away a brush of oil from her face. "What about you? What are you doing in this ruined, half-base, tinkering with Mini Mosca?"

"I'm not tinkering with Mini Mosca!" she whined, "I'm fixing it."

"Yes, yes." Folding my handkerchief back together, I sighed. "I'm glad I'm seeing you become more expressive after growing up." I smiled at her.

She pouted, "And Rei-chan, you're the exact opposite."

"Huh?"

"Nothiing." she mumbled. "Shou-chan and Spanner-san are over there." she pointed in the other direction where a light brown tent was set up-- 

"But I came here to see you, Sui," I chuckled, "Won't you talk to your dear older brother?"

"I'm older than you now, Rei-chan." she responded. 

"I'm gonna cry." 

With a sigh, she picked herself up and gave me a hug. She was my height now, despite being twenty two years old. But her being taller than me was almost anticlimactic. 

Ruffling her hair, I let out a sigh. "And there goes your beautiful black hair," I whined, "I thought you didn't like it short?"

"It gets in the way," was her response.

"That's exactly what  thought Sae would say," I chuckle, breaking the hug. "Did my sisters change personalities in those ten years?" I joked.

Sui gave me a curt little smile, bashfully, with a cute chuckle. 

"Speaking of Sae," I absentmindedly spoke up, realizing a missing link in the equation, "Where is she in this time, and what is she doing?"

Sui's eyes lowered, softened-- and she didn't dare look me in the eye.

-

The Girls

"I didn't expect Rei-san to be here too!" Haru giggled, serving me a cup of green tea, "How have you been?"

A little taken aback, I eyed the cup for a long moment. "...I'm fine," I managed, "But you girls are a lot happier than I assumed."

I'm quite sure Squalo came by just after the boycott episodes. I thought the girls would be quite a tad more depressed than overly lively.

"That's my line!" Kyoko whined, "What's this I hear? You knew about the Mafia too?"

"That's right, that's right!" Haru nodded vigorously, "Why were us girls the only ones left out?" 

Pressured by the girls now, I was surrounded and could do nothing but awkwardly smile. "Uh-" I really didn't know what to think. My mind blanked out and- oh god no someone get me out of this situation help-

"Now, now, don't pressure him."  

I perked up at the voice-- it was a calm, deep, woman's voice-- soothing and gentle-- "Ah, Bianchi-san." I addressed her, standing up quickly and giving her a polite bow in greeting. "It's nice to see you again."

"I should say the same," she smiled back.

Our eyes locked for one long moment-- until Bianchi broke the contact. She turned to a small figure hiding behind her-- and urged her to go forward. 

With hair a rich, deep shade of purple; and surprisingly mellow violet eyes--

"I don't think we've met before," I gave her a friendly smile, "I'm Rei. Nice to meet you."

Chrome Dokuro stood forward nervously-- although she tried to duck behind Bianchi again a few times-- and with her looking hesitantly at my hand, she tried to speak up.

"A- uhm," she couldn't quite compute, "...Same here."

"She's Chrome." Bianchi offered helpfully as the girl went back to a half-hiding mode, tucking behind Bianchi and peeking out shyly, "but I suspect you already know?"

Chrome perked up curiously at that, but I only laughed.

"Yep, I did." I said, "I already knew."

The girls eyed me strangely-- but only  Bianchi smiled knowingly.

"Nice to meet you, Chrome." I made my over to where she was, and leaned down slightly to meet her with a friendly smile-- "I really hope we'd get along."

Chrome definitely wasn't naive or gullible-- so even as I tried to be friendly, she was reluctant to make response. Instead, she clutched Bianchi's shirt-- and eyed me cautiously.

I sighed despairingly. First impressions were a failure, I see.

-

Takeshi

It was about the dead of the night-- no, a bit more than that-- it was nearly morning, perhaps-- I didn't know the time.

But I had gotten up and out from the room for a light walk, perhaps for the toilet too. Fuzzy-eyed, I rubbed the sleepiness away and tried to walk straight--

I ended up crashing into a bigger figure.

Stumbling back, still half-asleep, I instinctively, balanced myself and bowed quickly, "Sorry, sorry, I wasn't looking--"

"Eh?" the man was surprised.

Hearing the voice, I lifted my head a little more conscious--

"Eh?" I unintentionally echoed, "Ta-Takeshi?"

-

"So you really did come into the future too!" Takeshi managed a laugh, "I've been so busy with Squalo's training I didn't even get a chance to notice!"

He had just finished his training and Squalo had called it a day-- at like 5am maybe-- and despite the short break he had been given, he opted to have a little chat with me.

Clunking our cans of hot chocolate at each others', we took one short gulp before we simultaneously sighed. 

I chuckled after him. "You look terrible."

He had band aids and plasters over him, and soon enough I know he'll end up looking his appearance in the Choice Arc.

He chortled. "Squalo's pretty angry, after all."

"Well, he did end up bulldozing through the seas to come here." I sighed, "Sharkdozing."

"Huh?"

"Nothin'."

I brought the can to my lips again-- but this time the hot liquid burned my tongue. 

"Ouch!" flinching, the can shook and some spilled-- 

"Woop," Takeshi quickly got up, reaching into his pocket and finding a handkerchief. "C'mon, you know you're not good with hot drinks, Rei."

I let out a chuckle. "Sorry!"

Wiping my face clean, he patted my head and sighed. "What will you ever do without me?"

Hm? This was strange-- wasn't it usually the other way around? It was amusing to think-- when did Takeshi become so mature? When did I become the childish one? When did I become the less adult one? When did Takeshi become the older one?"

"Eat neatly," Zen used to keep saying, "it's alright if it's slow. It's alright if it goes cold." he would chant every meal, "You're a girl, so be a little more self-aware."

He would complain, but at the same time he would be cleaning up every speck of mess his little sister had made. He would always bring around a handkerchief, for her.

Oh, I realized. 

"Hm, What's wrong, Rei?" Takeshi spoke up, noticing my daze.

Takeshi reminds me of Zen.

"Nothing," I told him, giving a toothy smile. "Thanks, Takeshi!"

Zen was honest, but quiet.

Eve was talkative, but dishonest.

Takeshi sat back down beside me-- and took another sip of his hot chocolate. Picking up my own-- I didn't drink it yet.

Hey, Takeshi, do you believe in the afterlife? I didn't ask. There really wasn't a reason to asking other than impulse. I needed to control that urge. 

"I was most commonly known as Merah."

"Mera and Biru, you just need to tell me where these two are."

"Eve was the Red Clown."

"Red, Blue, Green; Merah, Biru, Hijau."

I sighed, putting the can down.

"What's wrong, Rei?" Takeshi asked again. I'm not sure how many times he's asked now-- but he didn't seem irritated at the lack of answer.

"Hey, Takeshi..." I spoke up slowly-- and stopped to sigh again. 

Takeshi chuckled, "Take your time to ask," he assured.

I found myself leaning my head on his shoulder. It was serene-- a soothing, gentleness-- like the tranquil rain Takeshi was-- it seemed to calm me down.

"What would you do if-" I couldn't phrase it well enough, "-someone you really, really, held dear to you-- but you lost them-- like, a long time ago someone that really meant a lot to you! Like a-- sibling? family? maybe even a--"

Takeshi didn't interrupt me. I stuttered and overlapped my words, replaced them, emphasized weirdly and made strange descriptions-- but he listened silently, patiently--

I felt a sting in my throat.

"What would you do, Takeshi," I asked him, a cry in my tone, "If someone like that suddenly came back to you? You thought you'd never meet them again, but they came back to you-- and they probably don't know you're the one?"

"Well," Takeshi's answer came without hesitation.

I couldn't see his face from my angle, but he probably wasn't having much of surprise, or confusion-- I could know from here-- he was having his usual, neutral faces. Perhaps his eyes are closed-- enjoying a moment of peace. Perhaps his curt, small but sweet smile is on his face-- soft and not bright, but just gentle enough to wash away the heaviness in my chest.

I didn't even need to see it to know.

Takeshi chortled. "Well, the first thing I'd do is greet them loudly, and give them a great, affectionate hug." he joked. 

That made me laugh, "Even if he doesn't know you?" I asked.

"Even if he doesn't know me." he repeated firmly.

With my head at the crook of his neck-- and with his head laid on mine-- we stayed there for one long moment--

"Thanks, Takeshi."

You're my best, best friend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 7.7K 47
Dying and getting reincarnated in a different world was not something ##### expected. Now going by the name Kocho Tomoe, she just wants to live a pea...
48.7K 1.4K 83
Well, it all started one day when I was out at the bookstore. My dad had let me go to the bookstore while he and my sister went to the store right ne...
27.2K 569 31
[Katekyo Hitman Reborn: UNDER EDITING] Sawada Mitsuki, Tsuna's twin sister. Pretty, smart, and troublesome. Now joining in the story of Tsunayoshi a...
326 9 4
It's different, having Hibara Kyouya as you childhood friend makes you grow quite different than how it was originally going to be, that's how it was...