Rosetta - A Warhammer 40,000...

بواسطة TEBramble

Should one not do what one ought to do? Faith in the God-Emperor of Mankind, duty and responsibility fulfille... المزيد

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part X
Part XI
Part XII
Part XIII
Part XIV
Part XV
Part XVI
Part XVII
Part XVIII
Part XIX - Mirabel's Fall
Part XX - Helios V is Liberated

Part IX

153 5 0
بواسطة TEBramble

The same bittersweet dream showed itself once more. The same damned dream. That same accursed Emperor's Children Legionnaire. This same dreaded bunker full of her fallen sisters. The sight disgusted and tormented her every time it haunted her.

Now it enraged her. These sisters who laid broken and dead all around her were good women. They were all novices. Fresh out of the Schola Progenium and ready for a lifetime of holy service to the God-Emperor. Now they join the tally of the lost to the most hated of enemies.

The dream carried out its course to its most dreaded point. Aura was so beautiful the morning of that day. The two had just received their armours for the first time and this was what became of it.

The real Aura had been her first light. The closest and most trusted and loving of friends. She guided Rosetta through the years of cold loneliness in the Schola Progenium. Such a saint did not deserve what she suffered. This foul fate made her blood boil with rage.

No punishment will suffice for the perpetrators of such wanton murder and destruction. Her sorrow fuelled her hatred of the archenemy as burned brightly at the sight of Aura's death. The pain, the anger, the sorrow, it all anchored itself as a feral rage within her soul.

Yet, like a bright like the blessed sight of Mirabel saved her from her blight. Standing tall and proud with melta and hope in hand she was benevolence incarnate. Utterly beautiful, utterly perfect.

'Perhaps you could give up your empty life for one with her?"

She shook with fright and awoke in shock. She found herself still in Aura's heart. She found Aura staring at her. She seemed both perplexed and worried. It was intriguing to see her appear in such manner.

She had maintained the serial image of the child Aura for so long Rosetta was convinced that she had taken a liking to it. Nevertheless, Rosetta wondered how the entity managed to talk to her in her dream.

'How-'

'Did I contact you on your dream?'

Rosetta nodded.

'We are bonded... One mind and one body. We share everything... Even our dreams.'

'You have dreams?'

'I'm not sure. I never sleep. Never mind that... Rest now... Recovery will take some time.'

-//-

Once Rosetta's body had been fully repaired and all signs of the battle removed Aura released her soul from the jewel. It was then that she awoke again. She looked around at familiar surroundings.

She had been placed on a bed. One among many which held the sick and the wounded. She looked around and found Sister Superior Alexis there watching her. She had been returned to Wyvern's Citadel.

Alexis regarded her with a mixture of relief and anger. Rosetta bowed her head and Alexis approached her and pick her up by the collar of her robe.

"Why did you do it?" She growled.

"My Lady?" Rosetta answered.

Alexis threw her back onto the bed.

"What were you thinking? You were a Celestian! One honoured among her sisters and you abandoned them!"

Rosetta's heart sank with regret. She showed in her grovelling look/.

"Sister, I-"

"Save it! Now that you are awake Lady Mirabel demands your presence."

Rosetta got up and followed Alexis through the halls of the citadel. Alexis was steaming with rage. The rage that she no doubt had nurtured just for Rosetta. She stared at her former superior for some time as they walked through the halls.

Soon it became apparent that none of the passing Sisters missed the chance to scorn at Rosetta. She shrivelled. Gripping her elbows she stuck closely to Alexis.

"Do you know the consequences of your actions Rosetta?" Alexis asked sternly.

"No, Sister."

"With Lara dead and you deserting we were oblivious to a traitor Astartes force sweeping from your position. We fell into a trap while searching for you. Lara, Lauren and Nadia all lost their lives protecting the Lady and Squad Cassandra was wiped out."

"Throne."

"Indeed, Sister. As for Lady Mirabel... I'll have to show you."

-//-

They eventually came upon the doors to Mirabel's quarters. The doors opened and Alexis lead Rosetta inside. There Rosetta thought she saw the most beautiful of sights. Lady Mirabel sat up on a bench with the full elegance of her back exposed.

The sight of her smooth curvy features made Rosetta's heart thump with joy. Aura was perplexed while Rosetta's very soul burned bright with pleasure and passion. All else seemed to fade away as she beheld true beauty.

Yet, reality revealed the bleak truth in all its horror. A massive, bloody cut stretched from left shoulder to right hip. Tweezers held her skin wide open while tech adepts and hospitallers tended to the cybernetic implants attached to her spine.

Were it not for them the Canoness would be paralysed, helpless. Rosetta's heart sank like a brick. She froze up and began to tremble. Did she cause that? To her Mirabel? It was too much. Too much.

She felt panic, sorrow and anger all swell up like a gathering storm. The urge to scream collected in her throat. Oh, how she wanted to scream, to blast away the sight and restore the galaxy to a better time.

Hush Sister. You are safe with me. Face the truth, Rosetta.

Like a warm hearth within her host's soul, Aura burned with loving reassurance. Aura managed to calm Rosetta down and allowed her the chance to regain her composure. In her mind, Rosetta thanked her.

"Lady Mirabel, Sister Rosetta has awoken. She is here now." Alexis said as she bowed her head in reverence.

"Very well, Alexis. Stay a while. You must be my witness." Mirabel

-//-

Once her operation was completed and Mirabel stood on her own once more she confronted Rosetta. The young sister sensed a whirlwind of conflicting emotions in the Canoness. All she could do was shrivel and shrink before her.

"These last five years I have never seen a sister match your ferocity and devotion... I still remember your face when first we met." As Mirabel spoke the Lady's eyes seemed to water at the recollection of that fated night.

"Five years ago... On Strix III... Do you remember what you called me? The title you named me under before the sisters of our order?" She proclaimed.

"Forgive me, my Lady, I was in a delirium. I remember little." Rosetta admitted.

Indeed, this was true. The only memory she had of the Siege of Strix III was the one in her dreams. It had been the only one she treasured, despite her paradoxical hatred of it. With mind, heart and soul she adored it so much it plagued her.

"Well, I remember much... I remember when the command bunker was struck, killing Canoness Elisa and all of the senior command and we fought over who would command you proclaimed me Canoness... Your words would have been heresy if it weren't for the truth and your holy fervour. Do you remember them?"

Mirabel's own words awoke memories long since kept dormant in her mind. She remembered accusations, raised voices and flaring tempers. She remembered Mirabel being silenced by the more vocal and the anger this inspired. She remembered pushing herself to her feet despite the hospitaller's warnings and barking the words Mirabel now spoke of.

Even now the memory flooded her vision as she recollected the battle. She recalled darkness, the lights were out and plumes of dust and gravel fell from the ceiling as shells slammed home from above.

The raised voices of Sisters Superiors and Celestians alike filled the air. Not in holy worship nor righteous battle cry but in petty bickering and fruitless fury. Something had to be done and so she stood up from where she was laid and face the remnant of her command and barked at them.

"Sister Mirabel! No. Saint Mirabel of The Order of The Sacred Rose! You must lead us! Not to the defence in this squalor but to victory out in the fires of hell! Lead the charge! While others fought for the honour you have saved so many! Lead us!"

Unable to argue, one by one, they all heeded her words and bowed before Mirabel. Mirabel, a mere Celestian, unsure of herself, rose above all else and took up the mantle thrust upon her by the words of an inferior. It was then and only then did Rosetta pass out from her wounds.

Rosetta allowed the memory to pass in her mind and focused back on Mirabel.

"Your actions brought victory that day... Now they bring defeat. The failure of the mission, the loss of a dozen Sisters and a total defeat in the field. What happened Rosetta? Why did you run?"

Rosetta dropped to her knee.

What are you doing?!

"Forgive me, my Lady. I didn't know what I was doing."

You fool! You've no need to answer to her! Let's leave this place!

Some time passed in frozen silence and Mirabel turned her back to Rosetta. Her voice almost trembled with sorrow as she spoke her next words.

"I-I am sorry, Sister. Imperial justice demands you stand trial for your actions."

-//-

Morning, the next day, Rosetta was lead into a small, featureless chamber of stone by Alexis. She could hear the ceremonial hymns of the order. She knew what they meant. She knew full well what awaited her in the next room.

Look. You don't have to do this.

'I have to do this' Rosetta told Aura.

Why? They'll demonise you, ridicule you. We were meant for more than this.

'I caused this. I deserve this. I must answer the call. Please... For honour's sake let me do this.'

Ugh. We are wasting time.

The door opened and Rosetta was lead into the court beyond. Alexis placed her at the centre of the forum. All the while Missionaries, Confessors and record-keeping servitors all sat around a central podium on an elevated stage.

On this podium stood Mirabel herself. When silence fell the lights focused on Rosetta. Soon only candlelight illuminated the court while luminous globes illuminated both Rosetta and the stage under the spot light.

"Sister Rosetta of our order. I have conferred with the Ministers in the matter of your case. You are hereby charged with dereliction of duty, desertion and descent." Mirabel announced.

Rosetta raised an eyebrow. No mention of murder? Perhaps they thought otherwise.

"What say you?" The Canoness Continued.

"I confess my full guilt to all charges my Lady."

Fool! It was an accident!

At that moment, the various ministers that sat upon the stage all whispered and muttered amongst each other. Some of this word reached Mirabel's ear. This trial had no meaning to it. It had been over before it began. Nevertheless, the gesture has been made.

Then there was a spike of frustration as Aura noticed Mimir watching from the shadows. The entity never trusted the psyker yet tolerated him out of necessity. Now her hatred and anger at him made it hard for Rosetta to keep calm. She had to focus to accept the coming judgement.

"Rosetta Theodora, your crimes cost the lives of a dozen dear Sisters of the order. They are worthy of death!" Mirabel declared.

There was a pause following Mirabel's declaration.

"However, you are given but one freedom. One choice for honour's sake. Rosetta, will you chose redemption? Choose to walk the path of repentance for honour?"

Rosetta ignored Aura now. Her heart glowed brightly with hope and gladness Aura's grew grim with annoyance. At the very least she can put things right before stepping into the light of the Emperor.

"I do my Lady! I choose repentance!" Rosetta declared.

"Very well. Sister Alexis!"

Alexis stepped for and gripped Rosetta's collar.

"Rosetta you are ashamed."

Alexis tore her robe down the back. Rosetta stood perfectly still, accepting this treatment.

"For honour. For justice..." As Mirabel spoke, Alexis tore away piece after piece of Rosetta's robe. "...In fealty to the God-Emperor of Mankind, I declare thee Sister no longer! You are a repentia now!" Mirabel declared.

As she spoke Alexis broke the collar holding what was left of Rosetta's robe. The fine cloth slid from her body and fell to the floor. Revealing her naked body. A sacred shame. Then she was handed the red hood of the repentia by Alexis.

"You are repentia now. Your life is forfeit. Your name is forfeit. Your honour is forfeit. All that is left to you now is fight and die to restore your honour."

-//-

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

1.8K 84 55
The year is 449, Millennium 51. Our story follows two siblings; Aida and Ingrid on the Kovenant world of Munich, each work in their own seperate jobs...
1.7K 85 53
This tells the story of two girls, two sisters by the name of Amanda Von Schabbs and her dear sister Octavia Lepidus Von Schabbs. Two sisters who hav...
1.3K 96 25
An old message alerts Ordo Xenos inquisitor Ilvex "Vex" Tamruth of a genestealer infection on the agrarian world or Eredius III. But he is unaware th...
657 45 40
An Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus has arrived on Cadia and has requested a regiment for assistance in his investigation. The 1333rd Cadian Regiment...