The Other-worldly Protector

By Whiplash246

Previously titled "Take Flight on a Dragon" _________ The dragon growled, revealing a set of gleaming teeth... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Dragon Moors
Chapter 2: Led By Sound
Chapter 3: The Crystal
Chapter 4: Discovery
Chapter 5: Stranded
Chapter 6: A New Friend
Chapter 7: Where's Kiara?
Chapter 8: Pepper Spray
Chapter 9: Take Flight
Chapter 10: Speak to me
Chapter 11: Home Away from Home
Chapter 12: Whispering Fear
Chapter 13: Dark Deep
Chaper 14: Boulder
Chapter 15: Storm & Shelter
Chapter 16: Rhythm
Chapter 17: Melody
Chapter 18: Song
Chapter 19: Falling
Chapter 20: Thief!
Chapter 21: Three Months Later...
Chapter 22: Unexpected Visitors
Chapter 23: Unholy Offspring
Chapter 24: Nightfury?!
Chapter 25: Ryker
Chapter 26: Painful Consequences
Chapter 27: The Cost of Victory
Chapter 28: New Beginning
Chapter 29: Race to the Edge
Chapter 30: Silent Ears
Chapter 31: Interrogation
Chapter 32: Clifftop
Chapter 33: We've been tailed
Chapter 34: Training with Astrid
Chapter 35: The Dragon-Eye
Chapter 37: Complications
Chapter 38: Thunder Ear
Chapter 39: Dragon Whisperer
Chapter 40: Living on the Edge
Chapter 41: To Berk or not to Berk
Chapter 42: This is Berk
Chapter infinity
43. Prince Petals
44. Heather
45. Meet up
46. Brother
47. Ambush
48. Edge of disaster
49. Changewing Down!
50. Shambles
51. We lost.
52. Funeral
53. No one blames you
54. You haven't been around here much
55. I have a plan
56. Everything accounted for
57. Tight schedule
58. Split ways
59. Trial and Judgement
60. Still apart
61. The Market
62. Oleander Field
63. Kuffnut
64. Reunion
65. Mala's Wrath
66. Her fault
67. Preparation
68. Arrival
69. A Walk with Viggo
70. A Talk with Viggo
71. When Adversaries Meet
72. Uncovering Secrets
73. Break free
74. Headstrong
75. Berk's Gold
76. Snotlout's treasure
77. Touching it
78. The Marble Project
79: You're one of them?!
80. Doomed Island
81. Not easy pickings
82. Long walks on the beach
83. How to Retrieve Your Dragon-Eye
84. Evade
85. Together and fighting
86. A Distant Connection
87. Untidy Trade
88. Back from the wizards
89. Heather's return
90. Hunter Friend, Spy Friend
91. The Deranged
92. Common frenemy
93. New Rider... or New Toy?
94. Lessons learned
95. Parting Gift

Chapter 36: Robbie Returns

3.5K 155 112
By Whiplash246

"Well," Kiara clicked her tongue before continuing, "this explains why you didn't bring your other half."

"It's a rare occurrence for me to be able to ditch my sister, so you're quite lucky."

"Are you sure she won't mind?"

"Of course she won't, she's too busy chasing Björn boar out of our hut."

Kiara gave him a disbelieving look then shifted her weight, trying to adjust to the unfamiliar saddle. She was seated on Barf while Tuffnut sat on Belch, with his chicken, of course. Yes, a pet chicken.

Sitting on a zippleback was a strange experience for Kiara. Firstly, she wasn't even on the dragon's back. She had her legs wrapped around the top of the dragon's long neck and was unusually high above the ground. It felt far less secure and Kiara couldn't imagine how much worse it would be in flight. Well, for her anyway. Tuffnut seemed right at home on his mount, casually ruffling Chicken's feathers now and then.

"So, you want to play with fire?" he asked Kiara, wiggling his brow.

Kiara grinned. "Now you're talking! Am I on his sparking head?"

Barf shook his head no, almost making her slip, at the same time as Tuff replied, "Nope, Belch is my head."

"O-okay," said Kiara, still regaining her balance. "So how does the gas work?"

"Easy. You just yank on the horns and Barf will barf out the gas, and I'll spark it."

"He'll be okay with me yanking on him?" Kiara asked doubtfully.

"He loves it." Chicken squawked loudly as if reminding Tuffnut of something. "Oh, and don't breathe in the gas," he added hastily.

Too late.

Kiara, having yanked on the horns as soon as Tuff said it's okay, felt the gas hit her like heat from an oven—a really nasty oven. She coughed, trying to expel it from her lungs but her head was already spinning like a top. She barely noticed the world turn sideways before she slid off the saddle completely. Tuffnut's fingertips swept across her palm as he tried (and failed) to grab her. Then something else broke her fall and swiftly placed her on the ground. Her legs wobbled as she found herself leaning against purple scales. "Whiplash?"

"Er, gotcha?"

"Thanks, Whippie."

"That was awesome!" Tuff exclaimed, sliding down Belch's neck with Chicken in his arms. "How did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"You stopped falling, like you hit an invisible pillow, then landed next to Whiplash!"

Kiara laughed. "You come up with some weird stories, mate. Must be fun to have a brain like yours."

"It is. Hey, I didn't make it up! Invisible pillows are real!"

"Okay, okay," Kiara giggled. "We'll discuss your brain later. I need to talk to my dragon, privately." Tuffnut's face fell, obviously disappointed. "How about we meet up later?" Kiara offered and his face lit up instantly. He was such an open book; Kiara knew she wouldn't think twice if she ever needed to trust him.

"Sure. At the clubhouse?"

"Yup."

"And of course, after your session of torture—er, I mean training." He let out a snort of laughter. "Good luck with that."

"Oh yes. Thanks."

He turned to walk away. "Come on, Barf, Belch. We should probably help Ruff catch that boar before she gets mad enough to start cursing in boar Latin." And he was off.

Kiara turned to Whiplash. "We need to talk." Her stern tone snapped Whiplash's attention to her and away from whatever she was staring at

Or whoever she was staring at.

"Um, hi. What are we talking about?"

"You."

"Vague but okay. Do you like how shiny my scales are?" she asked with a hopeful smile.

"I'm serious Whiplash, you've been acting different lately. Is everything okay?"

The dragon gulped, looking especially guilty. "Yes, I've been quite... distracted. With the new island and everything. Sorry if I worried you."

"It's okay. I just wanted to ask about Robbie."

Whiplash's head shot up in surprise. "What about him?"

"There's still the matter of letting him know we're here, silly. It's our second day here. He must be confused and worried." Whiplash scoffed. Then covered it up with a loud hiccup that sounded like she was choking. Kiara wrinkled her nose. "Now that's just weird."

Whiplash grinned sheepishly. "I was thinking we should discuss this after your class."

"Our class."

"Not mine yet."

"Are you avoiding me?"

"No. I just need to consult with the guardian angel." Whiplash hissed and narrowed her eyes at a point behind Kiara.

Kiara heard scuffling and turned around just in time to see a haphazardly arranged group of barrels get knocked over, the culprit nowhere in sight. Was it the night terrors? She turned back to Whiplash with a frown. "What do you mean guardian angel?"

"I'll explain later. We'll talk, I promise. Shouldn't you get to the dome right now?"

Kiara glanced at her watch. "Ah, crud. You're right. See ya later." She jogged off.

Robbie uncamouflaged moments later, heaving a sigh of relief. That was too close! he said.

Whiplash rounded on him. Close? You made me lie to her!

Chill, girly... Don'tchya like me being her 'invisible pillow'?

No. You're going to reveal yourself, Now!

Now? How's about.. before sundown? Pretty please! I need to find a dramatic way of doing it.

Whiplash rolled her eyes. Fine. No later. Or I'll tell her myself.

Deal. Robbie held out his paw, grinning. Come on, Whipster. Let's shake on it.

Whiplash whacked his paw away. Don't call me that, she grumbled, still majorly pissed at the changewing.

-

Astrid's class was no different to yesterday, a meal forced into Kiara's mouth. The intensive workout was the type of starter that will crush an appetite to crumbs, smart targeting training was the main course, and there was a side-dish of jabs about Kiara's (lack of) strength. There was no dessert. And the side-dish was the foulest.

The not-so-hidden insults were probably Astrid's version of "motivation". Kiara did not approve of the method. But, after the session ended and Astrid left, she realised that it was actually working. She was motivated. Not because she didn't find herself weak and lacking, but because she was the type of person who rebelled against labels and worked heart and limb to rise above them. She realised this when, after Astrid asked her to do 100 punches in her own time, she found herself doing three times as many.

Actually "asked" is putting it too lightly. Astrid's exact words were: "You will beat your fists against a dummy at least a hundred times if you want even a chance at gaining strength."

Harsh.

Despite her pounding fists and sweat-soaked T-shirt, Kiara left the training dome with a smile, knowing she was one step closer to proving Astrid wrong. She hurried off to the nearby lake; all thoughts of talking with Whiplash had completely vanished. That's what happens when you're in desperate need of a bath.

-

"Favourite hobby?" Ruffnut asked. "Other than flying of course."

"Easy," said Kiara, "Sketching."

"Ah. A little Haddock you are. Ours is yak-tipping."

"But we enjoy playing in the boar pit just as much," Tuffnut added, then leaned forward. "Wanna try wrestling a boar?"

"N-no thanks. Er, hand-to-hoof combat isn't really my thing."

They sat together in the clubhouse but weren't the only ones there. Hiccup and Astrid were having their own conversation on the other side of the room. Fishlegs was humming contently as he shifted through what looked like dragon Q-cards. Snotlout had his helmet over his eyes as he leaned back on his chair, probably asleep.

"My turn," Kiara declared. "What's your favourite drag-"

"ZIPPLEBACK!" they answered at once.

"I meant other than your own."

"Oh," they said.

"Well..?"

"Mine's those small glowy ones that burn hotter than the sun," said Tuffnut.

"You mean like the one that burnt your hand after you stupidly picked it up?" Ruffnut asked.

"Fireworm," Fishlegs informed them absentmindedly.

"Yeah that," Tuff confirmed.

"Well, mine is Scauldron," said Ruff.

"Whoa. You two gave me different answers."

"Well, duh. We're not identical, you know. Physically or mentally."

"Or emotionally," Tuff added with a dramatic display of wiping invisible tears.

"Right, fraternal twins. Point taken," said Kiara. At that moment Whiplash bounded into the clubhouse.

"There you are!"

"Hey, Whiplash. Where've you been?"

Whiplash huffed and gave her an annoyed look. "I've been waiting for you."

Kiara's eyes widened. "Oh, I'm sorry! I completely forgot." She hastily got up to leave.

"Wait!" said Tuff. "You haven't answered yet."

"Yeah, what's your favourite dragon?" Ruff asked. "Other than the Scorching Wrath."

A look of interest shone in Whiplash's eyes and she settled down. Everyone in the room seemed to be mildly paying attention now.

"Changewing," Kiara answered, "without a doubt."

Snotlout laughed. Kiara groaned; he wasn't asleep. "You're kidding, right? You'd be an idiot to like those dragons. They're horrible."

Kiara folded her arms and mockingly raised a brow. "Whatever's wrong with them?" she cooed. "Do they give the little Jorgenson nightmares?"

Snotlout's eyes widened and the twins snickered from behind Kiara. Tuff leaned forward and whispered, "They probably do. He's had baaad experiences." Kiara cracked a grin.

"How does she know my last name?" Snotlout muttered. Fishlegs shrugged, putting his cards away. "Whatever. Changewings are stupid either way."

"They are not!" Kiara exclaimed heatedly. "Changewings are one of the most intelligent dragons. Don't hate on them just because you couldn't outwit a single one."

The twins burst into laughter at Snotlout's reddened face and made some unnecessary "oooh" sounds. Kiara felt warm surprise that they were taking her side.

As Snotlout gritted his teeth and clenched his fists, Hiccup stepped forwards to end the fight before it got out of hand, but Astrid gently held him back. He turned to her with a questioning look. "I get that you're the responsible one and all," she murmured and a small smile rose on her lips, "but I wanna see how this goes. It's not physical anyway."

"Shut up!" Snotlout shouted, effectively quietening the twins. But nothing could wipe those grins off their faces. "You're the one who's stupid," he sneered at Kiara. "You've probably never even met a changewing."

Kiara rolled her eyes. Was that supposed to be a comeback? "Well, you're wrong," she said. "As it turns out, I'm best friends with a Changewing."

Snotlout scoffed. "Please, if you're gonna lie, at least make it believable. No one can befriend a changewing. They're on the untrainable list. Even I know that."

Kiara scowled at his accusation and Whiplash bared her teeth, sending him a warning growl. "I'm not lying." Kiara's voice was low and firm, daring him to contradict. The sinking sun's red glare flooded into the clubhouse as the two stared each other down.

"Okay, guys..." Hiccup chuckled awkwardly, trying to ease the thick tension. "That's quite enough."

Hiccup: ever the adult.

"Oh come on, Hiccup!" Snotlout exclaimed. "It's so obvious she's lying! Do you expect me to just ignore her when she spills one ridiculous lie after the other?" He stomped up to Kiara. "How can we believe anything she says?" She glared back at him with walls of fire burning in her eyes, walls that hid the stab of hurt she felt in her stomach. "She's a liar, and a freak!"

"Snotlout..!" Hiccup warned him not to continue.

"Why is she even here?!"

"GHRRRAAAAAWRRRR!"

Shimmering red scales materialised on the wall behind Kiara as Robbie let out his fiercest roar. Everyone jumped, including Kiara, but Snotlout was the worst. His tough demeanour was reduced to ash as he fell backwards with a high-pitched scream and hurriedly shuffled away, eyes wide.

"GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE COWARD! I'LL SHOW YOU FREAK!"

Kiara jumped out of her shock and held the dragon back with all her strength. "No, Robbie! Find your calm! Keep your peace!" She just got dragged along as he stampeded after the screaming Viking.

"I'LL 'FREAK' YOU WHEN YOU TASTE MY ACID—"

Kiara's eyes widened and she swung herself around, positioning herself in front of his mouth. "Stop!" she ordered, her arms spread either side of her. Robbie abruptly sat up like a huge scaly puppy. He smiled."Hi."

"Hi?" Kiara glanced around the room. Everyone looked quite shaken and were breathing heavily. Snotlout was hidden behind a pale-looking Fishlegs. Kiara chuckled nervously, a bit breathless herself. "Hehe... We'll just make our leave now." She pulled the two dragons out of the exit.

"S-see that!" Snotlout's voice followed her out. "She brought a ch-changewing onto our island! What else is she hiding?"

Kiara gritted her teeth and ignored him as she walked steadily away, a dragon either side of her. But what came next caught her by surprise. "No Snotlout. She was as surprised as the rest of us," said Astrid. "She didn't plan any of this."

"So, she like your bestie now, or do I need ma ears checked?" Robbie asked.

"Shut up and keep walking. You two have a ton of explaining to do."

___________________

A/N:

Heyyy Dragon Lovers!

FUN FACT: Robbie met Snotlout before he met Kiara!

Yes, guys. That was Robbie.

They didn't get along.

And he's kind of the reason Snotlout hates changewings.

Welps, I hope you enjoyed the chapter! Sorry again for the big gaps between posting these. Time is finite, unfortunately.

Till next time,

-Tan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.3K 2.5K 31
Only the figure's eyes were visible, the rest hidden by a changewing cloak. Hiccup's jaw dropped as he realized. He knew those eyes. * The Dragon Rid...
6.7K 212 22
It all starts at the episode of auction heroes. Cause, what if something went wrong? What if Viggo had a younger sister who happened to be friends wi...
94.2K 1.5K 15
#1 hiccupxreader Warning: LEMON, also, following this story will put you in major FEELS! I didn't change Hiccup or Toothless's personally btw:) summ...
88.6K 3.1K 35
(Complete) When Hiccup and the others are on a mission to free dragons from dragon hunters, they encounter something they never thought they would. A...