Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 35 Between love and duty

793 54 16
By the_hooded_girl

The morning was spent with the princess Elvira. After she had uncomfortably and stiffly apologized for her behavior the previous night, they had set on a walk in the garden that were greener than even the gardens in Zeir. There were so many flowers and trees and ponds, that even Darius was impressed. He could understand now why the girl had called Tireze stuffy and barren. Compared to this, he really did live in a desert.

But as lovely as the gardens might be, the conversation was not blossoming at all. He had to draw out every answer and the girl looked like she'd longed to hide herself away, probably in the corner of her beloved library.

Aside from that, she seemed on the verge of tears the entire time.

It didn't help that Darius had to fight to be polite to her. He didn't feel inclined to comfort her. She was seventeen after all. Too old to act like a child. It was time for her to put her bookrolls and scrolls behind her and start acting like the daughter of a king.

No, this one was not suited to be his wife. All of Tireze would mock him if he brought back this child.

He was glad to drop her off at the palace again, and she all but fled from him.

Lunch was spend with Elora. It surprised him how well she carried herself. There was no sign from the smart mouthed girl from last night. Instead, she was polite and charming. She poured wine for him and asked him how he enjoyed his stay so far.

No mention of her behavior the prior day, nor his response to it.

When Darius was cutting his meat, the doors to the salon opened and the youngest princess shuffled in. She walked up to her sister and looked at her expectantly.

Elora smiled at the young girl. "What is it, my sweet?"

"Will you read me a story?" Elena asked.

"I have to share stories with our guest now," Elora said kindly, "why don't you ask Elvira? She knows many stories."

Elena pouted. "Elvira only knows boring stories, about ships and birds and plants."

"And what about Eloise?"

Elena shook her head. "She doesn't want to tell stories. She says she's busy looking for a dress to wear so the prince will like her."

Elora bit her lip to keep from laughing. No doubt Eloise would be mortified if she found out Elena had said that in front of prince Darius. "Is that so?" she asked.

"Yes," Elena nodded, "and Eloni and Byron are not here, so there is only you."

"Hm," Elora put on her most troubled expression, "that is a serious problem indeed. You see, I have already insulted prince Darius twice. If I leave him alone now, even if it is to read to my favorite sister, then he might not like me at all anymore. So what should I do?"

"He would understand," Elena said seriously, "he is a prince."

Elora glanced at Darius who had put down his fork and was watching her carefully. She looked back at her sister. "Well then. If you are so sure, then you will have to ask him yourself."

There was a thoughtful frown on Elena's face and she turned to Darius. "Do you understand Elora has to read me a story?"

"Elena!" Elora gasped, "that is not the proper way to ask."

"Then what is the proper way to ask?" Elena questioned innocently.

Darius looked at Elora unimpressed. "I would almost believe you planned this, my lady, to escape from me."

Elora laughed. "I assure you, prince Darius, I feel no need to escape from you. And I certainly wouldn't use a child for it. Now Elena, let me finish lunch with prince Darius and then I will tell you a story, alright? Can you play nicely until then?"

Elena sighed. "Okay." She pouted and walked out of the room.

Darius watched the little girl go. He wasn't sure what to think. He almost regretted coming here in the first place, but fact remained he needed an heir. And for that he needed a wife first. There was still one more sister he had to deal with before making a decision. Now he was the one that needed an escape.

***

"Welcome to Genvi, my lady," Riccardo Prias made a deep bow and extended his hand to help her up the steps.

Vara smiled at him. "Thank you, lord Prias," she said.

After the attack on Sylice, the king had decided to send her to the small estate or the Prias family deep in the inland of Zeir. She had already accepted Riccardo's invitation, only now the visit had been moved forward. Vara was happy for it. The whole city of Auros had been in an uproar, the palace was overrun by Strega soldiers, and refuges from Sylice had been coming and going to be directed to new homes. It would be nice to have a quiet day.

Because of the attack on Sylice, the king had only been able to provide a small escort for her. Aside from Iason, there were only three other soldiers with her, who had been directed to the kitchens until they were needed again.

Ricardo smiled at her. "I have arranged for some refreshments in the garden. Would that suit you? I had flowers planted from Lavos. They are famous for their flora."

Vara smiled back. "I would love to see it." She let him guide her towards a secluded part of the garden. There was a small fountain and a table with two chairs. A large plate with fruits, bread and slices of meat was on the table and a decanter with wine next to it. The area was surrounded with beautiful flowers and she could hear birds sing in the trees.

A little to the side was a smaller table that also held refreshments. When Riccardo saw her look at it, he smiled kindly. "I thought your guard would appreciate some food as well."

"That is very thoughtful of you," Vara answered. She nodded at Iason, and her guard bowed at Riccardo.

"Thank you, my lord."

Riccardo inclined his head and pulled out a chair for Vara. When she was seated, he sat down across from her and poured both of them a goblet of wine. "I heard about the attack on Sylice," he said, "I understand that you were there at that time. I hope you were not hurt."

Vara shook her head. "By the time the news reached us, the attackers had already gone. But the village of Sylice is destroyed. The king and the Strega family have been working to get the villagers relocated so they can start rebuilding. It is upsetting though that Balor has managed to attack at all with the defenses we have. I fear this will be a reoccurrence."

Riccardo nodded. "As long as we are at war, there may be more attacks like this, but the realm has good soldiers and we have the support of Tireze now. You shouldn't worry."

"I know," Vara sighed, "I just wish this war would end."

"Don't we all," Riccardo commented quietly.

Vara smiled sadly and looked around. "Your garden is truly lovely," she complimented.

"Thank you," he answered, "my mother loved flowers, so my father had them imported from various nations. When she passed away, father kept the gardens intact in her memory and I saw no reason to undo the work, so the gardeners tend to the flowers now and keep it all in order."

"Well, they have done an excellent job," Vara commented.

Riccardo smiled. "Would you like to see more? Once you've finished, I'll take you on a tour around the estate."

Vara nodded. "Of course. We can go now." She accepted his arm and let him guide her away.

***

Eloise was the last of king Elon's daughters he'd have to endure today. It seemed like her little sister had spoken the truth. She appeared to have chosen her dress with care, in the colors of Tireze, black and gold. She was waiting for him quietly, her hands folded in front of her and her eyes downcast.

It pleased him. At least one of these women knew how to behave properly.

When he asked her where they would be going, he only received a 'wherever you wish, my lord'.

Darius sighed. "I do not know my way around Tolais, my lady," he answered, "if you have a suggestion?"

"If it pleases my lord," Eloise answered, "we could take a stroll in the garden."

"I have already seen the gardens," Darius said stiffly, "I was there this morning with your other sister." Was there nothing else to do here?

"Of course," Eloise answered, and she bowed her head submissively.

Darius waited, but she said nothing else, so he spoke again. "Is there anywhere else we might go?"

"If it pleases my lord," she answered, "we could have some musicians play for us, or other performers, whichever you prefer."

"That actually would please me," Darius answered. At least then he could avoid actually speaking with her.

Eloise curtsied and turned to a nearby servant. "Send some of the musicians towards the parlor and call a few tumblers. Prince Darius and I will have refreshments as well."

The servant bowed and went to his tasks. Eloise curtsied at Darius again. "If it pleases my lord, we will head to the parlor." She waited for Darius to give his consent and guided him towards the parlor. Their trek there was filed with silence.

It annoyed him.

He took a deep breath. "Tell me, my lady, what perfume do you wear? I do not recognize the scent."

She kept her eyes cast down. "It's lotus fragrance, my lord. It is won from our own gardens. We make perfumes and scented oils from what we grow. Does it please you, my lord?" A light blush had appeared on her cheeks.

"I was only making conversation," Darius commented, "since you were so quiet." He could clearly see her shoulders sink.

"If it pleases my lord, I will speak more."

Darius narrowed his eyes. Before today, he wouldn't have believed those words could grate on his nerves so much. Out of all of king Elon's daughters, this one behaved the most like a woman should behave. And it was exactly this one that irritated him the most. She was exactly how she should be; pretty, well-spoken and submissive, and he hated it. Her ever 'if it pleases you' wore him out. It was exhausting. He had wanted someone different from Zara, and he got exactly that, but it wasn't what he had expected.

Darius sighed as he tried to relax in his seat and watch the tumblers perform. For a moment he tried not to think about wives and his impending decision. For a moment he would simply try to enjoy the show.

***

She wasn't the only guest at Genvi. Another noble family that owned the adjoining estate was also visiting. The Tempa family and the Prias family had been friends for generations and regular guests at each other's estates. She was introduced to lord Atos and lady Geneviève and their daughter Priskilla, who was only a few years her older.

Lady Geneviève smiled warmly at her. "How do you enjoy Genvi so far, lady Vara? I hope young Riccardo here has shown you the gardens at least?"

"He has, my lady," Vara answered, "thank you for asking. It is quite a beautiful place."

"It is," the woman nodded, "our Priskilla adores walking there. I think she would rather be here than at home."

"Mother!" Priskilla hissed in embarrassment. Her cheeks were bright red. She glanced at Riccardo and Vara nervously and then cast her eyes down.

Vara smiled kindly. "I can imagine." She looked at Priskilla. "I don't think I have ever seen you at court, lady Priskilla."

Priskilla bit her lip. "We are only a lesser house, my lady. I fear I would not fit in with the other ladies."

"Nonsense," Vara said, "you will be my personal guest. You are welcome at any time. It's the least I can do for a friend of lord Prias."

"You are most kind, my lady," lord Atos bowed to her, "you honor us."

Priskilla had looked up at her father's words. She looked at Vara. Her lip started to tremble and she fled the scene crying.

Vara looked at her retreating form startled. "Did I say something wrong? I didn't mean to upset her."

"It's nothing, lady Vara," lord Atos assured her, but there was sadness in his smile, "I'm sure she is just overwhelmed by your invitation. We will go check on her." He bowed at both her and Riccardo and left with his wife in tow.

Vara bit her lip and looked up at Riccardo. There was sadness in his eyes too, but he smiled at her warmly. "You were very kind to her," he said, "she doesn't have many friends among the ladies of the other noble families. They look down on her."

"But you do not," Vara noted.

His expression became more serious. "My parents raised me to always have respect for everyone, no matter their birth, whether it is noble or commoner. Priskilla is a kind young lady. We grew up together." There seemed to be something unspoken in his words.

"You care for her," Vara said softly.

The slight flinch in his body betrayed him. He didn't meet her eyes. "I am a man of my word, my lady," he said decisively.

Vara smiled kindly. "No word has been given yet, my lord, only a request."

"A request is as good as a promise," Riccardo said seriously, "when I wrote that letter, I had every intention of making you my wife, my lady, if that had been your wish. It would be of poor taste if I go back on that now."

"Wouldn't it be of poorer taste to speak of love where there is none?"

Ricardo sighed sadly and shook his head. "I meant what I said. I do hope some feelings will be involved, but as you said yourself, love needs to grow. Like you, I have a duty towards my people. I need a wife."

"I understand that," Vara said, "but why me? Why not lady Priskilla? You said yourself you do not care for position. Even if she is from a lesser house, she is still noble born."

Riccardo looked down in shame. "I had not realized she returned my feelings until after I had written to the king. She is upset, but she understands I need to keep my word."

"Lord Prias," Vara said, "I understand all too well how it feels when duty comes first. I wouldn't want to be responsible for your duty getting in the way of love when you could have both. Please, don't do this on my account. I will not hold it against you."

Riccardo looked at her hesitantly. "But... what about you, my lady? People will talk."

"People always talk," Vara shrugged, "let them." She smiled at him. "I will be fine."

Riccardo shook his head astonished. "You are a remarkable woman, my lady."

"No," Vara said, "I'm truly not. I just don't want to be the cause of heartache."

Riccardo sighed. "I wish you happiness, lady Vara. You deserve it. I am sorry it had to be this way."

Vara smiled. "I will be fine. But I do expect a wedding invitation."

Riccardo answered her smile and inclined his head. "You will always be welcome here."

"And you and lady Priskilla at court," Vara replied.

"Thank you," Riccardo said.

They said their goodbyes and Vara left with Iason to call together the rest of her escort.

Iason watched her sadly. "Are you alright?" he asked softly when he saw her face.

Vara took a deep breath. "It's like I am cursed," she whispered, "cursed with bad luck."

"Why would you say that?"

Vara shook her head. "It is my punishment for wanting something I can't have." She looked at Iason. "I liked him. I would have chosen him."

"You have a good heart, my lady," Iason said kindly.

Vara scoffed. "It's not doing me much good, is it?"

"It will," Iason assured her, "good things come to those who wait. You will find happiness, my lady. Just be patient."

"You are kind," Vara attempted a smile. She took a deep breath. "Let us go home."

***

Darius rubbed his eyes. All he wanted was to go to bed and sleep, but king Elon had organized a large farewell dinner in his honor, so he was forced to sit here until the king ended it.

Darius held out his goblet for more wine and a servant girl was quick to refill it. He looked around the table.

Princess Eloni was conversing with her husband.

Across from him, the king and queen were also speaking with one another.

Little Elena held a frown on her face while she was doing her best to keep her long sleeves from falling in her soup.

Elvira kept casting glances at her lap, probably to read the scroll she was trying to hide from her father. The conspiring smile her sister Elora wore, proved that she knew and was quite amused with it.

Eloise was her usual poised self, her blonde curls carefully pinned up with a few strands delicately down. Silver clips were holding it all in place, decorated with sparkling gemstones.

Musicians and dancers were performing around the table.

"You look tired, prince Darius," princess Eloni leaned towards him, "I hope my sisters didn't wear you out."

Darius smiled wryly. "Well luckily I only have to marry one of them."

His words drew the attention of king Elon. The king turned away from his wife and looked at Darius. "Does this mean, prince Darius, that you have made your choice?"

Darius took a deep breath. This was it. After tonight, he'd have a new wife, one he picked himself. He could only hope she wouldn't turn out like Zara.

His eyes met king Elon's. "I have."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 171 36
A spoiled elvish princess in love with a lowly soldier. Unfortunately (well, fortunately. But don't tell her that) she will come to realize her life...
10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...
567K 15.7K 31
He did not love her. It was a loveless marriage to him. In his eyes, she is just a burden who cooks food for him. And in return, he will earn money a...
24 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...