Cardinal County

By synnicals

[FANFICTION VERSION - ENG] I was thinking more of only protection but if you want to be mine, who am I to com... More

Cardinal County
Prologue
ARC I
01: Wang Princess
02: Bloody Encounter
03: Judah Kohen
04: Silver Ring
05: His True Identity
06: Protection and Possession
07: Babydoll
08: Sweet and Ice-cold
09: Knowing Secrets
10: Worth to Remember
11: Protective Brother
12: Thin Line
13: Up to No Good
14: Unanswered Questions
ARC II
15: Missing in Action
16: The Evil Sister
17: Love is Stupid
18: Eventful Nights
19: Dinner Date
20: Back to Reality
21: The Ultimatum
23: Stranger Danger
24: Such a Small World
25: Obsessive Admirer
26: Puzzle Pieces
27: The Nameless Bird
28: Forgotten Little Boy
29: Star Swimmer
30: Secret Missions
31: Never-Ending Feud
32: Where Jealousy Leads
33: Prodigy's Return
34: Deal With The Devil
35: Meeting the Mastermind
36: A Significant Character
37: Her Saving Grace
38: I Love You
Epilogue
CREDITS (No Sequel)
Special Chapter 01
Special Chapter 02
Special Chapter 03
Special Chapter 04

22: Much Needed Break

13.5K 714 161
By synnicals

Lisa's POV

The water engulfed her entirely in one swift dive and just like that, she was in another world. She started her usual butterfly strokes, gracefully threading through the six-feet deep pool. She was hoping to finally beat her record this time, and she's not planning to stop until she does.

The moment her hand touched the starting edge of the Olympic-sized pool, her Coach-nim's whistle echoed throughout the hall followed by a set of enthusiastic claps.

"Twenty-five point sixteen seconds faster than your last record, good job kid!" Heechul proudly exclaimed showing her the stopwatch around his neck.

Lisa smiled, "that's a good start," she simply said, hoping to beat her newly-achieved record once again.

Heechul checked his wristwatch, "that's enough for today Liz. You just finished your exams, you should take some rest."

"You go first Coach-nim, I'll do a few more laps then I'll go."

Heechul immediately frowned, "Liz, what did I tell you? You don't have to tire yourself out that much, you're already good. You don't have toㅡ"

"Coach-nim, just a few, I promise. Besides, I'm not that tired yet and I still have to wait for Jaebum-oppa. You can go now Sonsaengnim, I know you have a lot of work to do."

The professor sighed in defeat and crouched down to pat the top of her head. "Stay healthy kid, we don't want you getting sick before or much worse ㅡ during the competition. Wait for your brother's friend before leaving okay? I'm going now."

"Understood Coach-nim, drive safely," she smiled, which was returned by another one from her Coach.

Once alone, she pulled her goggles down to cover her eyes again and did a couple more laps. For four days now, this had become her routine ㅡ wake up, study for exams, go to school, take the said exams, train, go home, study some more, and sleep.

And if you're asking why there's no 'eat' on the list, that's because she rarely ate properly for the past few days. She knew it was wrong, especially for an athlete like her, but she can't control it. She would always lose her appetite from time to time. Was it stress? Was it because of her constant overthinking? She had no idea.

But atleast her worries have lessen a bit this morning when she coincidentally met with Taehyung once again, this time it was in a coffee shop.

"Well your brother only said no Jungkook, he never said no BTS in general right?" He remembered BamBam saying earlier. He was her appointed 'babysitter' that time ㅡ her favorite one might she add, because the guy is cool with everything and is actually fun to be with.

She then walked towards Tae and took the vacant seat across him. He was startled at first when he looked up from his music sheets, but it immediately turned into his familiar boxy smile.

"Hey Liz, long time no see," he greeted making her smile genuinely, a first since that chaotic day.

"You're alone again?" She asked.

Tae shook his head, "nope, I'm waiting for someone."

Her eyebrow instantly rose in question, "are we talking about that someone?"

He just laughed shrugging, it caused her to feel even more curious. "I see you're not alone yourself," Tae commented, effectively changing the topic before glancing at BamBam who's seated at the table near the shop's entrance.

She gave him a tight-lipped smile, "security has been strict these days," she quipped trying to lighten the mood. "So how's our song?"

"I still need a few more lyrics but I'm almost done with half of it!" Tae excitedly said, causing her to feel giddy too.

"Really? That's awesome! I'm really looking forward to the final outcome Tae," she smiled.

"Do you have some lines that you want to add?"

"Hmm..." she was quiet for a while, contemplating of some poetic words she could come up with to make somewhat acceptable lyrics for a song. "How about; The nameless bird that sings in the park at dawn, where are you?"

She stopped in the middle of the pool and pushed her goggles up to her swimming-cap-covered forehead. "The nameless bird that sings in the park at dawn, where are you?" She absentmindedly whispered to herself before closing her eyes.

"He's still in Seoul," she remembered Taehyung saying randomly during their conversation. "I feel like you've been wanting to ask me where he is. He's still in Seoul, whenever his brother ㅡ Joongki-hyung ㅡ gets a break from the army, Kookie usually spends more time with his family."

"That's... good to hear, I guess," she muttered quietly. At least it's easier for her to fulfill the deal with her brother.

But it seems like her mind had a plan of its own because questions began to echo in her head once again. Are they always going to be like this? Go on with their own lives without communication for almost a week?

Then one would suddenly appear out of nowhere and they'll act like everything between them is fine though it's far from it. Are they taking each other for granted? Is he even worried about her like how much she is to him? Should they even go on with whatever they have right now?

"He'll be back soon, don't worry," Tae smiled and was about to say something more when a familiar figure reached their table. "Oh noona you're here," he said, looking up.

Lisa's eyes momentarily widened, "I didn't know you two are related," she said, surprise coating her voice.

"He's my stepbrother," Irene smiled, "it's nice seeing you again Lisa."

"Yes, it felt like it's been ages since I last saw you. Iㅡ"

"Liz," BamBam called out, making her turn to him, "sorry I need to be somewhere, can we go?"

"Yeah sure," she nodded before facing the two again, "sorry I have to go."

"No worries Lisa, I'll see you again soon," Taehyung grinned making her laugh.

"Okay, have a nice day. Bye!"

She was about to turn around and start walking when Tae held her wrist, making her stop. "Just trust him Liz, he cares for you a lot."

"Thank you for reminding me."

●○●○

Her coach ended her training two hours earlier than usual so when she was done taking a shower and changing back to her uniform, there's still half an hour left to spare. She sat on the steel bench in the middle of the locker room and unlocked her phone, only to see text notifications from her friends.

FROM: Roseanne

Liz! We're planning to sleep over Jisoo's tonight, your brother better be fine with it or else he's going to have a taste of my wrath.

FROM: Pres Chichoo

You're coming tonight right? Let's have lots of fun Lalisaaaaa ♡

FROM: Jennie

Hey Liz, take a break from everything and hang out with us understand? I'll see you tonight.

Her lips instantly tugged upwards but just as she was about to reply, a new notification popped up.

FROM: Jackson-oppa

Mom called, there's something she needs to talk with us. JB is on his way to fetch you.

Just like that, her bright mood was gone, and a certain brown-eyed guy invaded her mind again for the umpteenth time. She gazed at her phone and uncontrollably tapped the Phone Log logo and scrolled through it ㅡ instantly finding the unregistered number that has been calling her at least five times a day.

There was a great possibility that it was him but there's still a chance that it wasn't. Why won't she accept the call? Simple, she's afraid of both possibilities. What if it's him? She made a promise with her brother and a deal is a deal. What if it isn't him? Then it will hurt because she hoped it's him. She wished it's him.

That's how ridiculous she is being and it's driving her crazy. She doesn't know what to do. She doesn't even know what she wanted anymore! She made it through the midterm week easily like usual but emotionally? She knew she's far from okay.

She needs a break.

The moment the idea hit her, she was on her feet before quickly slinging her backpack on her shoulders, and running out of the pool area towards the school's back entrance.

She's going to escape for a while, clear her head, think things through and come back when she got her senses back. She doesn't care where she will go. She doesn't care if she'll get lost. She doesn't care how long it will take. She doesn't care about the fact that she left her phone on that steel bench she was sitting on earlier, she just needs to breathe.

And when she comes back, she will be Wang Lalisa again. That girl who think things through before making decisions and that girl who despite of being clueless, still remains independent and true to herself.

That's her. That's Lisa.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61 0 11
Hi lovely reader, welcome to my first-ever fanfiction. This book is in honour of BTS and because I miss them. To sum it up, this book takes place in...
181K 5.7K 33
Being in love with your best friend is not the best choice,but you can't decide who you fall for. Your heart decides for you. The danger of the frien...
PAINFUL LOVE By AngelicDoll13

Mystery / Thriller

916 59 12
Two men are standing facing each other, the space around them is filled with loud gunshots, blood and screams, they are pointing guns at each other w...
844K 42.7K 54
[FANFICTION] Nothing's wrong with her. She's pretty, nice and has an angelic voice but.. she's not Lisa. WARNING: One of my early books in this app...