The Usual... A Max Schneider...

By theundisclosedgirl

Symphony Andrews leads a relatively quiet life... She co-owns a small yet popular coffee shop with her dad, w... More

Prologue: The First Time in a Long Time
Chapter One: Star Gazing
Chapter Two: Rolling Thunder
Chapter Three: Opportunity
Chapter Four: Late at Night
Chapter Five: Figuring it Out
Chapter Six: Gentleman
Chapter Seven: Cliche but Not
Chapter Eight: Lukewarm
Chapter Nine: Stay
Chapter Ten: Fearful
Chapter Eleven: Rebellion
Chapter Twelve: Without
Chapter Thirteen: Right of Passage
Chapter Fourteen: The Answer
Chapter Fifteen: His Own Drawer
Chapter Sixteen: For His Sake
Chapter Seventeen: How'd that Happen?
Chapter Eighteen: Spoiled
Chapter Nineteen: Cards
Chapter Twenty: Ready
Chapter Twenty-One: Beautiful Mess
Chapter Twenty-Two: Gifting
Chapter Twenty-Three: Keeping Promises
Chapter Twenty-Four: Keeping Time
Chapter Twenty-Five: Wait Up
Chapter Twenty-Six: Lifted
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Right Person
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Relax
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Yours
Chapter Thirty: Trivial
Chapter Thirty-One: Cracked Plaster
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bucket List
Chapter Thirty-Four: Coming to Terms
Chapter Thirty-Five: Wandering
Chapter Thirty-Six: Slipping
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Desperate
Chapter Thirty-Eight: It Matters
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Outage
Chapter Forty: Trying
Chapter Forty-One: New Life
Chapter Forty-Two: Loving
Chapter Forty-Three: Nervous
Chapter Forty-Four: Right Now
Chapter Forty-Five: Hitched
Chapter Forty-Six: Reason
Epilogue: Happy Little Family
Bonus: Alternate Plot Chapter

Chapter Thirty-Three: Terminal

1.3K 18 10
By theundisclosedgirl

~ How many times do I have to tell you? Even when you're crying you're beautiful too... ~

Chapter Thirty-Three: Terminal

"Hey Daddy," I laughed, kissing his cheek. Dad grinned, squeezing my shoulder.

"Hey pumpkin," he smiled, ruffling my hair. Dad gave Max a light punch on the arm behind me, making Max grin. "Hey, Max," he spoke. "You being good to my little girl?"

Max laughed lightly. "Always," he told him, bringing me closer and softly kissing my temple. My dad just smiled sleepily as us, letting us follow him in.

"So how's it going at the shop, Simmy?" Dad asked, letting Max and I settle on the couch. I smiled slightly, feeling Max's arm gently drape across my shoulders as he absently pulled me closer.

"It's going fine, Daddy," I assured. "Like it always is."

Dad smiled. "I always I have to check," he laughed. "You know how I am."

I nodded a little, feeling Max absently tracing patterns on the back of my hand as he watched me and Dad talk. He gave a small smile now and then, his eyes soft and bright as their brown color stayed trained on me.

"How're you, Max?" Dad asked, watching the love my boyfriend displayed as I slowly shifted my legs, sprawling them across his lap. Max chuckled lightly at my actions, his arm falling down around my waist and pressing me closer.

"Wonderful," Max told my dad, kissing my hair. "I'm simply perfect."

Dad laughed. "That wouldn't have anything to do with my daughter, would it?"

Max grinned, nuzzling into my hair. "It has every little bit to do with your beautiful daughter," he assured with a smile, causing my heart to flutter.

"Eight months," I told my dad. "Eight loving months."

Daddy just watched us, chewing his lip thoughtfully. "I know," he spoke. "I've never seen you happier than these last eight months."

I giggled, slowly standing and kissing Max's forehead. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom before dinner," I said, ruffling his hair. "I'll be right back."

Max smiled and nodded, squeezing my fingers as I made my way to the bathroom. Once I was finished, I crept down the hall, quietly hearing Max and my dad talking softly, and... I can't help it, I eavesdropped on their conversation a little.

"... never as content as when you hold her," I heard my father's hushed voice. I listened as Max gave a quiet chuckle, a smile evident in his voice.

"I want to be everything she needs to be happy," he spoke. "That's all I want, really... Her happiness is what's most important, whether it involves me or not," he laughed quietly. "I'm lucky beyond words that her happiness does include me."

I smiled softly to myself. "My daughter has fought her share of battles," my dad said. "She's become very skilled at hiding her pain, and she's reluctant to let many people into her world; she doesn't like to be coddled, doesn't like to be comforted, has never let herself be loved that way."

Max gave a small, humorless laugh. "I've noticed."

Dad chuckled. "But she's opened up to you," he said. "She's let you protect her, which is something she's never trusted anybody else with, not me, not even Lucas, really," my dad explained. "She's truly given her heart to you."

Max was quiet, and he must've nodded, because Dad continued. "All I ask is that you care for her," he whispered. "All I ask is that you never stop treating her like the princess you've been treating her like. You're the only true safe haven she's ever had."

I bit my lip, listening as a short silence passed. "I promise," Max spoke suddenly. "I'm gonna try my damnedest to be everything she needs, to be that warm, safe place for her to run when she needs it..." Max paused. "The same way she's that place for me."

My father chuckled lightly. "That's all I could ever ask for."

I heard soft shuffling, and I slowly made myself known. Dad and Max smiled at me as I re-entered the room, slowly walking behind Max and sliding my arms around my shoulders, kissing his curls as he laughed, holding my hand.

"You guys ready to eat?" Dad asked, watching as Max tilted his head back to look up at me. He smiled sweetly, kissing my nose and reaching up to absently tug at my curls.

"Yeah," I told Daddy, leaning back up. Max stood and offered me his hand, allowing our fingers to intertwine softly as we moved closer together. Dad followed us slowly into the kitchen, lazy conversation taking place as we all made plates and began eating around the island, not even bothering to sit down at the table. Dad didn't eat a whole lot, more just talked and watched my boyfriend and I interact. Max lightly bumped my hip now and then, a gesture as if to say he loved me.

"So..." Dad trailed off. "How's Lucas holding up?"

I sighed quietly. "He's been doing a lot better since we came to see you," I told my father. "I don't think you really get how blood terrified he was that you were gonna be disappointed in him."

Dad shrugged slightly. "I can't really be disappointed in him," he told me. "He's a twenty-one year old kid, I can't expect him to not have sex; and he really did try to protect himself. So I don't have any room for disappointment..." Dad shrugged again, finishing the last of his dinner. "These things happen."

I nodded lightly, feeling Max watching me, like he always was. "Speaking of," my dad spoke. "Are you..." he avoided my eyes, rubbing the back of his neck as he cleared his throat. "Are you still on the, um, the pill?"

I frowned lightly as Max and I blushed at Dad's question. "Dad!" I hissed. "Really?"

Dad huffed helplessly, though not in anger, more like exasperation. "Well I have to ask!" he said, just as embarrassed as Max and I at having to bring it up. "You're both twenty-one year old kids, just like Lucas, and you really don't think I'm naïve enough to believe that you guys aren't sexually active, do you?"

Max cleared his throat, avoided my father's gaze at all costs. "Y-Yeah," he told my Dad. "She's still on the pill; I watch her take it every day."

Dad let out a breath of relief. "One less thing to worry about," he smiled, before looking at Max. "If you get my daughter pregnant, I might have to end you."

Max blushed hardcore and forced out a small, nervous laugh, nodding slightly. "Duly noted, sir."

I rolled my eyes. "Dad," I said. "Don't scare him like that..." I paused, trying to bite back a smile. "If you do, he probably won't come anywhere close to touching me for a week."

Dad plugged his ear suddenly. "LA LA LA LA!" he screamed, making me giggle lightly as Max groaned, looking down at me.

"C'mon, little dove," he spoke, frowning. "Are you trying to get me killed?"

I grinned, kissing his cheek. "I wouldn't do it if I didn't think you were safe," I teased, my hand resting over his. "You'll be fine, baby."

Max sighed over dramatically as Dad slowly bought his hands from his ears, making me laugh to myself as Max came behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me warmly against his own body. My father couldn't help but smile at this, watching Max gently press a soft, loving kiss to my temple, his fingers interlocking over my stomach as I relaxed into his embrace.

"Are Lucas and Sophie still as in love as you two are?" Dad asked, watching us. Max and I laughed quietly, nodding slightly.

"Oh yeah," Max said. "Definitely. They won't go a day without each other."

Dad smiled. "Kinda like you guys."

I giggled. "Kinda like us," I agreed, leaning my head back on Max's shoulder and smiling up at him. Max grinned, teasingly sticking his tongue out at me, making me laugh as I returned the gesture. I reveled in his smile, in the brown of his eyes as he stared at me like he never wanted me to move.

"Ow..."

I looked over at my dad, seeing him holding the right side of his abdomen. I furrowed my eyebrows, leaning forward slightly as Max loosened his grip.

"Dad?" I spoke, watching his face twist in pain. "Dad, are you okay?"

Panic began to rise in my body as he didn't respond, instead doubling over slightly. "Dad?!" I called again, suddenly very afraid for my father. I began to pull away from Max, before his arms tightened, making me struggle slightly as he pulled me back and put his phone in my hand.

"Don't," Max told me softly. "Call nine-one-one... I'll get him to the couch."

I only nodded, seeing him suddenly beside my dad as tears slowly welled in my eyes. I dialed nine-one-one as fast as I could while Max helped my father into the living room, laying him down on the couch and getting him to relax slightly as Max let him squeeze his hand to let out the pain.

"This is the emergency service department, what do you need?" came a voice on the other end of the call, and I couldn't make the words form. Max sensed this, reaching out his free hand for the phone, and I slid it into his grip, kneeling beside Dad.

"I need an ambulance right now," Max spoke as my father cried out again. "There's a man here who's in an extreme amount of pain."

Max gave them the address and listened intently, flinching once when my dad squeezed his hand so hard it caused him real pain. "He's conscious and breathing; he was fine, but he suddenly started clutching his side a few minutes ago and calling out in pain."

I felt the first tear fall, then another, and another as Dad stiffened. "Thank you," Max spoke, before hanging up the phone and setting it beside us on the floor. "They're on their way, Mr. Andrews," Max spoke, his eyes flickering over to me as he offered his now free hand. "They're coming."

My dad let out a strained, forced, painful chuckle. "Max," he said, his voice hoarse. "Under the circumstances, I think it's okay for you to call me John."

Max gave a tiny, comforting smile to my father with a small nod, bringing me closer and trying to ease my mind as well. Tears were rolling by now, my body trembling as the next few minutes went by, listening to my father cry out in pain every few seconds as the time between yells got shorter and shorter.

There was a sudden banging on the door, and I jumped to my feet, moving to let the paramedics in. They rushed in and fired short questions about his health as Max stepped back, letting me answer what I could as they worked. I felt Max by my side again, and I drew strength from him as I watched my dad get lifted onto a stretcher.

"Ma'am, are you coming with us?" one of the paramedics, a younger guy, asked me. I opened my mouth to respond, before stopping short, looking up at Max. My boyfriend sensed my reluctance, nodding his head.

"You need to go," he told me. I began to protest, before he set one of his hands over my mouth and the other on my shoulder.

"Look at me, little dove," Max whispered, his brown eyes staring right into my green ones. "Go with them. I'm gonna take the car and follow, and call Lucas on the way to let him know what's going on. I'll be right behind you, and you won't be alone for long... Got it?"

His reasoning broke through my simple desire, and I nodded slightly. Max gave a comforting smile as they began carting my dad out, softly kissing my forehead. "That's my girl," he whispered. "Now go... I love you."

I felt myself begin to breakdown all over again as he lightly pushed me towards the ambulance outside. The paramedic from earlier held his hand out to me, and Max lifted me by my waist into the back of the ambulance.

'I love you too,' I mouthed to Max, and he nodded, letting me know he understood as the doors closed behind me.

The ride was a blur. There was yelling and calling out for various things and the loud scream of the siren, but it was just all one huge sound as I watched my dad, watched them put an oxygen mask on his face.

When we got to the hospital, I followed closely as they wheeled Dad into the ER. They took him down a long hallway, but that was all I saw before a nurse grabbed me and held me in place.

"Ma'am, you have to stay here," she told me, trying to hold me back. My crying was out of control now, my vision blurred with tears.

"No!" I told her. "You don't understand, that's my dad!"

She nodded sadly. "And they're doing everything they can to help him," she told me. "But you need to stay out here and out of their way."

I cried out suddenly, before a pair of strong arms had me. "I've got her," a voice told the nurse as I felt myself being dragged away.. "I'm her boyfriend; I'll take her."

Max's voice automatically cleared my head and made me see reason, slumping slightly as he tugged me back towards a corner of the waiting room. I turned suddenly in his arms, letting him envelope me in his soft embrace, his fingers carding through my long red hair.

"Shhh..." his voice murmured quietly. My body shook as I tried to hold back sobs, small whimpers escaping now and then. "Let it out, lovely," Max coaxed, kissing the top of my head. "Just let it out and let me hold you."

I let out a tiny, choked sob, beginning to let out soft ones into my boyfriend's chest. Max gave me a comforting smile, kissing my hair and trying to console me.

"Symphony!"

I heard my name, though I didn't move, recognizing the voice to be Lucas. I felt him come behind me and felt Max nudge me against Lucas, letting my best friend hug me tightly as he let out a small whimper.

"What happened?" Lucas asked Max, realizing I was in no position to answer any kind of question. Max sighed.

"I have no idea," he told my best friend honestly. "He was fine, and then all of a sudden he wasn't."

Lucas shook slightly, and my mind slowly began to worry for my best friend. I clung to him tighter, feeling the pain in my chest making me shiver as I willed myself to calm down.

"Here," Lucas spoke, kissing the top of my head. "Take Symphony back, Max. She has a better chance of keeping calm if you're holding her."

Max hesitated for a moment, before giving a small sigh, setting his hand on my shoulder. "Baby..." he murmured, turning my body slightly. I felt so numb and so cold, shivers now flowing up and down my back as I felt Max's hand drift down my arm. He realized suddenly I was freezing, quickly shedding the flannel he was wearing and setting it across my shoulders. I very slowly tugged my arms through it, more tears forming in my eyes as I turned into him again. He let out a breath of relief as I did, wrapping himself around my body and protectively shielding me from the world.

"It's okay, lovely," he whispered against my hair. "I'm right here."

I pressed myself into his chest. "Please just hold me..." I spoke brokenly, my voice cracked and scared as his grip tightened. He held me so warmly and so securely that I felt almost instantly calmer, though I still couldn't feel much as it was.

"I'm not going anywhere," Max assured me, tugging me slowly backwards. "C'mere... Come lay down on this couch."

I let him move me, sitting down at one end and pulling me down, letting me lay my head in his lap and turn so my face pressed into his abdomen.

"Has she been like this since you guys got here?" I heard Sophie's soft voice whisper. I hadn't even noticed she was here.

"She's pretty much been like this since it all went down," Max whispered, playing with my hair and tugging lightly on the strands. "It's terrifying. She hasn't really said much of anything to even me."

Lucas sighed quietly. "I've only ever really seen her like this once before."

Max's movements stopped. "When was that?"

There was a long stretch of silence as I waited for my best friend to form the words I knew were coming. "The night I found her in the pouring rain," he whispered. "The night we found out about her mom."

Max tensed. "That's what I was afraid of..."

There was another silence. "So what now?" Sophie asked. Lucas sighed, before slowly responding.

"Now we wait."

* * * * *

"Symphony..."

I was slowly tugged out of something like a rough sleep, shifting slowly as I registered the smell of my boyfriend.

"Simmy, wake up, baby."

All the memories and thoughts came rushing back to me all at once, and I cringed further into his body, not wanting to move.

"Symphony."

I sighed, tears threatening to spill again as I forced myself to sit up. "What?" I said, my voice harsher than I'd intended. Max didn't flinch though, simply tucking my bangs behind my ear.

"The doctor's out," he spoke softly. "She wants to give you an update."

I tensed again, looking over to where a woman in a white coat stood, patiently holding a clipboard in her hands and giving me a soft, comforting look. I didn't dare move, hoping that maybe if I didn't, all this would be a bad dream.

"Want me to come with you?" Max asked, reaching for my hand. I allowed his fingers to close around mine, finding comfort in the small gesture as he slowly stood. I gave a tiny nod, noticing Lucas and Soph sleeping in a chair beside the couch. I let them sleep for now, letting Max guide me timidly over to the doctor. I suddenly felt bad for snapping at him, squeezing his hand in apology. He squeezed right back, understanding perfectly and kissing my hair.

"Hello," the woman spoke as we approached. I shied away slightly, taking Max's arm and hiding; I didn't want any bad news, and I was scared to death that's what it would be. "Are you Mr. Andrews' daughter?"

I nodded slightly. "Y-Yeah," I whispered, my voice weaker than I would've liked. "Symphony Andrews," I elaborated. She smiled and nodded, before looking to Max.

"And you're the boyfriend, correct?" she spoke, watching him. He nodded as he bit his lip, looking down at me.

"I am," he said. "I'm Max."

She nodded slightly. "I'm Dr. Elizabeth Sage," she told us. "I was called in a few hours ago when your father arrived."

I nodded slightly, my stomach twisting. "Can you tell me how he is?"

Dr. Sage sighed. "For the moment, he isn't in any pain," she told me. "He's asking for you though, Ms. Andrews, you and company."

I nodded slightly, trying to make myself move to go wake up Lucas. Max sensed I couldn't, kissing my temple lightly. "Let me go for a second, sweet girl," he whispered. I tried my best to nod and slowly released his arm, letting him quickly jog over to my best friend and his girlfriend. He woke Lucas softly, shaking his shoulder gently and pulling him from his slumber. It took Lucas a moment, before cradling Sophie and waking her as well, setting her on her feet and standing slowly.

After brief introductions with the doctor, Max was beside me again, letting me hold onto his arm and hide again, absolutely blood terrified of the news. "You guys ready?" she asked, smiling sweetly. I slowly nodded, and she began leading us back to a room.

"He's stable, currently," she told us. "Once we figured out what was wrong, it was easier to make him comfortable."

I held tightly to Max. "What was... What what wrong?"

Dr. Sage's smile turned sad suddenly. "He's made me promise to let him tell you," she told me, stopping in front of a door. She nodded at it, setting her clipboard on a hook beside the door. "I'll leave you to it."

She turned on her heel and slowly walked back down the hallway, leaving the four of us in front of the wooden door. I stood there and stared at the knob for a moment, before taking a deep breath, hesitantly reaching forward with one hand while the other grasped onto Max's shirt, making him watch me worriedly. I slowly turned the knob, stepping inside the room with everyone following behind.

"Oh, Daddy..." I whispered, closing my eyes as my hand flew over my mouth. Dad smiled gently at me from where he laid in a hospital gown in the bed, two IVs attached to either arm.

"Hey pumpkin," he spoke quietly, beckoning me closer. Max gently nudged me towards him, Lucas and Sophie following closely.

"Daddy, what happened?" I asked, trying so hard to keep tears at bay as I drew strength from Max. My father frowned suddenly, looking back at Lucas.

"Sit down..." he whispered, patting the edge of his bed. "You too, Lucas."

Lucas stepped forward, sitting down beside me with Dad. "I've been keeping something from you guys lately," my father confessed, his eyes sad and apologetic. "And I'm truly sorry for it."

I tensed, longing quietly for the comfort of Max's body holding mine. "What, Daddy?" I whispered, my body shaking. I felt Max stiffen from across the room as he watched my body, watched me slowly begin to break.

Dad took a long, deep breath. "A couple of months ago..." he paused. "I was diagnosed with stage-four liver cancer."

Silence enveloped the room, the statement registering... And as it did, I crumbled.

"W-What?!" Lucas spoke, his voice shocked and broken. Everything in my body went hollow and empty, my body almost totally shutting down.

"They caught it too late, and told me last time I went to the doctor that I had a year to live," Dad told us, the room breaking down around me. "I was supposed to tell Symphony and Max today, and then Lucas, but... The cancer is spreading far too quickly."

I shut my eyes. "My liver is shutting down, and the cancer has spread to the rest of my organs," he told us. "I'm dying."

I chocked out a single sob, bowing my head. My father reached forward to me, watching as I curled into myself, feeling every single part of my body breaking down. Dad took my hand and tugged me closer, letting me slowly lay down on his chest. I wanted so desperately for someone to wake me up from this nightmare, this bad, bad dream.

"You have to be strong, pumpkin," Dad whispered into my hair. "You have to stay strong."

I sobbed again. "What if I don't want to be strong?" I spoke through my tears. "What if I want to be weak and cry into my daddy's chest?"

My father gave a sad smile. "For right now," he said. "That's okay. But you have to find a way to be strong, Symphony."

My tears became painful, my body convulsing. "Daddy..."

I heard another small sob, and I realized suddenly that Lucas was deep too. "Dad..." he whispered. My father just patted his chest, and Lucas walked around the bed, laying down like I did and curling into Dad. I realized with a start this was just as hard on Lucas, losing the only father figure he'd ever known.

"You'll both be just fine," he assured us. "You've got every support system you need to be happy and healthy again."

Lucas sniffled loudly. "When?" he asked, and we both knew what he meant without having to ask.

"They say in the next few days," my father said. "They said it could be as soon as tonight."

Lucas and I let out simultaneous sobs, and I felt my world crumble around me. My body ached and my throat was raw from the crying and I seemed to notice everything about that room in that single moment.

Except the two people watching us from the door with heavy hearts and tear stained cheeks, waiting for the world to cave inward on the only people they'd ever loved. I didn't notice the way Max and Sophie stared on in sorrow and pain as Lucas and I fell apart.

I didn't notice Max softly close his eyes and do something I'd never known him to do; he tilted his head down, and began to pray.

_______________________________________________

Not that bad, actually.

Kind of really loved it, lol

I'll see y'all soon, okay?

Bye!

- Casey

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48 3 2
Emmeranne Quintus, A not so ordinary but looks it on the outside recently turned Eighteen year old girl, With lots of child trauma and daddy issues...
63.2K 2.9K 23
Riele's mom has gotten a new job that requires her to take numerous business trips ranging anywhere between 5-14 days. This quickly becomes a problem...
521 14 17
A teen fiction romance novel with a twist. Read to see what happens when fate brings these two total opposites together. Sophie Maxwell, the girl t...
94.7K 1.9K 7
Sample only, Ebook available on Apple books, Book by Barnes and Nobles, and Kobo. Links in bio ❤️ ***** "You are going to come again, but not until I...