The Next World

By MoonPrismPower_92

Amelia has settled into Alexandria and so has the rest of the group. As they start to build their lives there... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 10

43 1 0
By MoonPrismPower_92

Once we got there, Scott was sleeping and Denise was reading, 'Grey's Anatomy'.

"Denise, you haven't been formally introduced to my uncle, Rick. Rick, this is Denise. She's going to be the new doctor around here," I said.

"Well it's nice to meet you," Rick said holding out his other hand.

She shook it.

"You need me to look at that?" she asked.

I handed her his hand and she looked it over.

"How'd it happen?" she asked.

"Taking out a walker. My hand slipped from the grip of my machete. Caught the blade," he said.

"Well, luckily it wasn't anything worse. Some ointment and a bandage will help it heal quicker," she said.

"I'll get the bandage," I said turning around and opening a drawer nearby.

Denise had cleaned Rick's wound. She placed the ointment on his hand and I wrapped it up afterwards.

"Thank you. The both of you," he said once we had finished.

"You're welcome," Denise said.

"Well, Denise. We'll let you get back to it. We appreciate you being here," I said.

She half smiled then Rick and I left. We had both caught sight of Jessie heading over to the space where we buried our fallen.

"Go on," I said.

"What?" he asked.

"Rick, I know you want to go and check on her too. I'll go check on Carl. You care about her. Go on, smooth operator," I said.

"We've got other things to worry about," he retorted.

"I know. That doesn't mean you can't try," I said.

He eyed me.

"Fine. Be careful," he said.

"Always am. Later," I said kissing him on the cheek.

I headed toward the direction I had seen Carl head to when we left the meeting. As I turned the corner, I didn't know what to make of the scene that was in front of me. Ron was on the ground and Carl was glaring at him. He then turned and caught sight of me. I walked over to him and he did the same.

"Should I be concerned?" I asked once we were within earshot.

"I just...its Enid," he replied.

"What about her?" I asked.

"I think she went over the wall before the herd came," he said.

"What? Are you sure? How do you know?" I said full of concern.

"When the attack started, she came in and said that she wanted to say 'Goodbye'. After it was all over, I couldn't find her anywhere in the house. All she left was a note," he answered.

"What did it say?" I asked.

"It was three words. 'Just Survive Somehow'. That's when I knew that she must have gone over the wall. I know she can take care of herself. Doesn't mean I'm not worried about her. I asked Ron to help me go and find her but he didn't want to," he said.

"You are not going out there," I said.

"But if she's out there alone," he began.

"Carl. It's out of the question. That herd of walkers is what we need to concern ourselves with. And I'd feel a hell of a lot better knowing that you are safe here," I said.

He was silent for a bit.

"You're right. I just can't help thinking about what could happen to her out there, you know," he said.

"Yeah. I know what that feels like. Go on home. I'll see you there later," I said.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Gonna help with the bodies. Check on people. See how they're doing. Just helping with what I can," I replied.

"Okay. I'll see you later then," he said.

I waved to him and watched him go toward the house. Me along with some others, had gathered the last of the bodies of the people with the Ws. We poured gasoline all over and lit them on fire. It was a good thing that it was still daylight. My mind kept going to Enid. She was out there alone. I knew better than anyone that being out there on your own did things to you. Daryl had Sasha and Abraham. Glenn had Nicholas. I would rather have had Glenn with someone else but at least he wasn't alone. I couldn't stand back and wait for something to happen to Enid. Carl would be devastated if something did. I needed to go out there to look for her. I needed to make sure she was okay. I walked over to the farthest corner of the community. Far away from the walkers. There was a way to get over the wall. I listened closely for the sound of any groaning. I couldn't hear anything. But I couldn't go over right now without someone spotting me. I'd have to wait until nightfall to make my way over. I went back to the house and got my backpack ready. A little food and some water. I hid it under my bed. I needed a gun or two. Carl had spent most of his time on the porch. When I came in, I had told him that I needed to go to the restroom. I had spent the whole time packing my backpack.

"All right, stay out of trouble, kiddo," I said when I passed him again on my way out.

I headed to the armory. I was relieved to find that no one was in there. I grabbed two handguns, loaded them up, and tucked one behind my back and the other in the holster that I had put on. I made my way back out. Rick was keeping busy. Checking on people. Scoping out the place. Like a leader should. I was really happy to see him back. The people needed someone like him. I had gotten started on dinner. Carol helped me out. Spaghetti. Not much of a surprise.

"Is it good?" I asked Carl when we had sat down to eat.

"Yeah. But if I'm being honest, I prefer the Alfredo sauce," he said.

I chuckled.

"Yeah? Well, I'll be sure to make it next time," I said.

Night had fallen soon after dinner. Rick finally walked through the door a few minutes before nine.

"What were you doing out so late huh?" I asked.

"Nothing. I just came back from Jessie's," he said.

I smirked at him.

"And?" I persisted.

"And what?" he retorted.

"Don't think I didn't notice that smile of yours when you said her name, Rick," I said.

"He did smile didn't he? I thought I was the only one who'd seen it," Carl retorted.

"All right, the both of you quit it. You eat something?" he said.

"Yeah. There's a plate for you over here," I said.

"Thanks," he said.

"You think he kissed her?" Carl asked me making sure it was loud enough for Rick to hear.

"Maybe that's why he came home so late," I said.

"That's it. The both of you go to your rooms," Rick ordered.

"Um, I'm a bit old for you to be ordering around," I said.

"I don't care," he retorted.

I laughed.

"Fine. I was thinking of turning in early anyway," I said.

I stood up, picked up my plate and took it over to the sink.

"You okay?" Rick asked when I turned back around.

He was clearly concerned.

"Yeah. To be honest, I'm tired as hell. Some sleep would do me some good. See you in the morning. Or maybe not. I was thinking of going on watch early in the morning. Just to see what I can see," I said.

Rick nodded.

"That'd be fine," he said.

"All right. Goodnight, Carl. Goodnight, smooth operator," I said.

Carl laughed and Rick rolled his eyes. I went upstairs and into my room. Carol and Michonne were keeping themselves busy as well. They had taken off to go on watch after dinner. I laid down on the bed and looked up at the ceiling. Some sleep would be ideal since I was going to be taking off later. That's what I did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The End By MARS

Fanfiction

10K 153 50
*This was my very first fanfic I ever attempted. There may be some grammatical errors but it just shows me how far I've come since then! 😊 So fair w...
1.4K 114 51
The epic conclusion to Amelia's story: The war is on... A plan is put into motion. Amelia and the group know what has to be done. An end needs to be...
7K 402 30
Stumbling upon Alexandria, Reese recounts the events up until now. Meeting Rick's group at the prison, scavenging, sickness, and attacks while creati...
130K 2.9K 32
My name is Amelia. I was only 18 when the virus broke out. When the flesh eating monsters plagued the Earth. Now, 2 years later, still with no cure...