Birthright

By APJensen

A madman creates a massacre that leaves hundreds dead. There’s one survivor. The problem is, according to the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Ten

88 10 0
By APJensen

Mr. Parker wasn’t at dinner. Kelly explained that he had to take care of business. Jordan was relieved, but she didn’t show it. If it was possible, she was even weaker than she’d been before and she didn’t want to hear what he had to say about it. When the Valor followed Jordan into the house, Kelly tapped her chin with a finger. 

“I guess I should’ve seen that one coming. Does he shed?”

Jordan blinked and Kelly waved a hand. 

“I guess we’ll find out. Let’s see what we have here.”

She rummaged around in the fridge and pulled out raw steaks and placed them on fine china. The Valor sniffed the air, but didn’t go into the kitchen. Kelly artistically arranged vegetables around the steaks. She began to place the plates on the floor, reconsidered, and then left them on the island in the kitchen. The Valor was taller than both of them.  

“Go on, Knight,” Jordan said. 

“Knight?” Kelly clapped her hands together. “That’s so cute! And Guardian’s protect so…”

“I had to call him something.” Jordan was embarrassed, but pleased. 

Knight edged forward. He was like a baby elephant in the house. He was as tall the fridge and when he lowered his head to the food, Kelly took a step back when she caught a glimpse of his teeth. As daintily as his fangs would allow, Knight demolished everything in sight. Kelly, who loved feeding people more than anything, got really excited and pulled even more stuff out of the fridge. Jordan was falling asleep by the time Knight seemed satisfied. 

Kelly helped Jordan up the stairs. It was a tight fit for Knight, but he managed. He led the way into Jordan’s room as if he’d been doing this for years and curled up in the middle of the room. Kelly hovered as Jordan made her way slowly around the room. 

“I’m sorry about today,” Jordan said, feeling unworthy of Kelly’s worry. “It was stupid-”

“Don’t let what Donovan said get to you,” Kelly admonished. “We never told you not to go there and we wouldn’t have anyway. Times have changed, though. Until you’re at full strength, just stay on this side of the stream and tell me if you want to go to Heath’s.” She shot a glance at the Valor. “But I’m sure Knight won’t let any harm come to you. They’re programmed to stick to their owner’s side like glue.”

“I still don’t understand this,” Jordan said, staring at the massive Valor sprawled over the expensive carpet. 

“You don’t have to, babe. Just go with it,” Kelly said and left the room. 

Jordan showered and when she came out of the bathroom, she couldn’t quite believe there was a half lion, half tiger in her bedroom. His ears twitched when she came out and he purred as if he approved of her shampoo. She sat on the edge of the bed and braided her hair and eyed her new companion. She was comforted and wary.

She woke up several times that night, throat aching with the need to scream. The first time, she thrashed to wakefulness, Knight was in the middle of the room, body tense and alert. She tossed and turned and the second time she reached consciousness, she found Knight on the bed with her. It was the most sleep she got in months. 

When Jordan went downstairs the next morning, the whole dining table was laid out with enough food for twenty people. Knight immediately set to work eating every last crumb. Jordan ate grits and orange juice and watched Kelly “bake” a cake. 

“Did you sleep better last night?” Kelly asked as she threw four eggs into a mixing bowl.

Jordan nodded, distracted by the crunching sound as Kelly stirred. Jordan never baked before, but she was sure Kelly was supposed to crack the eggs and put the insides in the bowl.

“Guardians are the stuff of legend. No one’s awakened a Guardian in over a thousand years.” 

Kelly tossed butter, walnuts and other ingredients into the bowl and whipped them up. She poured the mess into a pan and Jordan swallowed when she saw the eggshells and powder floating on top. Kelly put the pan in the fridge and leaned on the island. “How do you feel?”

“Sore, stupid,” Jordan confessed. 

“Don’t listen to Donovan. He was so scared, he didn’t know what to do. Men are useless sometimes.”

“Scared? Don’t you mean pissed?”

“He was pissed because he was scared.”

Jordan shot her a doubtful glance. 

“It was fun watching you two face each other. You’re very similar.” Kelly laughed at Jordan’s offended face. “Neither of you want to hear it, but it’s true.”

Kelly opened the fridge and pulled out a beautiful steaming cake. She turned the pan upside down on a glass platter. She patted the Bundt pan a few times until the cake fell out, poked holes in it with a fork and spread a glaze over it. It smelled divine, but Jordan was hesitant to taste it. 

“And voila, a rum cake.” 

“I think I’m gonna walk.”

“Alrighty. Just holler if you need something.” Kelly went back to rummaging in the fridge. 

As Jordan moved to the back door, Knight flanked her. She made her way slowly onto the porch and was immediately engulfed in heat. Knight didn’t seem to mind. He shook his mane and trotted ahead, sniffing and pawing the ground like a happy pup. Jordan smiled. She knew what he was capable of, but she had no fear of him. Odd. 

Knight rounded the dome where the pool was and headed off, sniffing the air before he rounded back to her. He circled, rubbed against her and went bounding off in a cloud of weeds and grass. She tilted her head up to the sun as she walked and held the circle pendant in one hand. I wish Levi could see this, she thought. For a selfish moment, she wished she wasn’t in this alone. Levi could vouch for her and tell Mr. Parker she wasn’t lying about Haven. She shook her head. She refused to gamble with his life. She didn’t know what was going on here. Only time would tell. 

She was sweating by the time they reached the stream. She’d never been to this side of the property. Across the bridge were pastures that declined into nothingness and then appeared again in the distance. Jordan sat in a bed of flowers, kicked off her boots and let her toes skim the water. Knight splashed his paws in the river before he eased in. He paddled, which meant the water was deeper than she suspected. He let the current carry him downstream and Jordan stood up, but caught a glimpse of his eyes, which weren’t in the least worried. She settled again as he swam out of sight. 

“As if I could save him anyway,” Jordan muttered and plopped down again. 

As time passed, she became more and more uneasy. Without Knight, she felt exposed and vulnerable and she didn’t like it. Just as she was about to rise, she heard someone approach. She cursed, withdrew her feet from the stream and lay flat, trying her best to lose herself in the foliage of trees and flowerbeds.

A white stallion with black booties crested the hill and came straight towards the bridge with a rider bent low over its back. Why does this keep happening to me, Jordan thought. This time, she was on the right side of the stream, so she wasn’t breaking the rules. What would happen if the rider tried to cross? Maybe the bridge would collapse. She hoped something would happen because she didn’t have the energy to take off at a quick walk. 

The horse stopped on the opposite side of the bridge and the rider slid off. Jordan lifted her head very slightly and saw a guy around her age wearing a white half unbuttoned shirt, jeans and sneakers. He was tall and lithe with broad shoulders. He was in a rage about something. He kicked at innocent flowers and muttered to himself while the horse drank water. Jordan’s brows rose when he stripped the shirt off and leaned down to dip it in the water. He dropped it soaking wet over his head. 

“Damn hot,” he said and turned to the horse. “Wait here.”

With his shirt draped over his head, he crossed the bridge and nearly stepped on Jordan. She rolled and clambered to her feet. She was proud she didn’t fall over. Light blue eyes narrowed, but he didn’t crouch into a fighting stance. There was no calculation or wariness on his face, just irritation. The hair plastered to his head was such a dark red it was nearly black. 

“Are you a King?” he asked, a sneer on his face.

King? “No.”

“Reporter? I’m not in the mood.”

Jordan was even more bewildered now. Did she look like a reporter? Why would anyone interview him anyway? “I’m not a reporter.”

“I didn’t know Heath had any family left.” Before Jordan could answer, he clicked his fingers. “You’re a stray? That’s Aunt Kelly for you. Uncle Van is gonna flip.”

Uncle Van? “Mr. Parker brought me here.” 

His brows nearly disappeared into his hairline. “Uncle Van brought you here? Is someone paying him?”

His disbelief where Mr. Parker was concerned made her relax slightly. He obviously knew Mr. Parker well and she didn’t feel any inner alarms where he was concerned. He draped his shirt around his neck. 

“I’m Cibrian, and you are?”

She hesitated and then, “Jordan.”

He tilted his head to the side. “You feel… Quiet. Have you Awakened?”

Awakened, a word the reporter used. “I don’t know what that means.”

“Uncle Van wouldn’t bring you on his land if you weren’t valuable in some way,” Cibrian mused and circled. 

She didn’t like it. She faced him, arms crossed and a little angry. “Who are you and what are you doing here?”

“I’m Aunt Kelly’s nephew. Her mom and my mom are sisters. So, you haven’t Awakened, huh? That’s weird. How old are you?”

“Fifteen.” 

“You’re definitely late.”

“What’s Awakened?” she asked through clenched teeth.

“It’s when you come into your power.”

How to explain that she was recovering from a broken soul tie, so her power was on vacation? She decided to go on the defensive. “What are you doing here?” 

“I came to eat, of course. What did Aunt Kelly bake today?”

“Rum cake.” 

“Oh yeah,” Cibrian said and did a little dance. He slicked his hair back. “Well, come on, let’s go. I’m starving.”

“Go ahead,” she said, hoping he would leave her alone. 

“Come on, I’m not gonna bite you,” he said impatiently. 

“I don’t know you,” Jordan said.

He looked dumbfounded. He spread his hands wide as if he was an open book. “I’m Cibrian.”

She crossed her arms. “That doesn’t tell me anything about you.”

He smiled roguishly. “You’re stubborn. I like that in a woman. Have a boyfriend?”

Jordan was nonplussed. “No.”

“This might just be my lucky-” he stopped abruptly as his eyes focused on something behind her.

Without warning, Cibrian leapt forward to grab her arm. Jordan jerked back and landed against something large and unyielding. A low growl filled the air and Cibrian let out a hair-raising scream. Jordan covered her ears, sure she was now deaf. Cibrian looked around frantically, but there was nowhere to run. Knight edged forward, fangs bared. Her hand dove into his fur and clenched as his menacing growl raised every hair on her body. 

“Shut up!” Jordan shouted over Cibrian’s fervent prayers to ward off evil. “He’s mine.” 

Cibrian stopped his backwards retreat. “Yours?”

“Mr. Parker said I woke him up. He listens to me, I think.” 

Knight’s muscles were still bunched in preparation to attack. 

“You woke up a Guardian? How’s that possible? Only a Parker can-” His face was incredulous. “You can’t be Uncle Van’s daughter.” 

Jordan scowled. “That’s under debate.”

“Give me your hand,” he said imperiously, holding out his own.

“No.” Freaking weirdo, she thought.

“I’m a Tolly. I can see people’s destiny. If you give me your hand, I can tell your fortune.”

“You’re joking,” Jordan said scornfully. 

“Just give me your hand,” he snapped. 

“No.” 

Knight accompanied her denial with a hissing sound that made Cibrian stumble back. 

“Okay, okay. I can take a hint. Don’t kill me.” Cibrian made a shooing motion. “Tell him to scat. What does he want?”

“He’s protecting me,” Jordan said and couldn’t stop the smug satisfaction in her voice. 

Cibrian shot her a scathing look. “This isn’t funny. If you are Uncle Van’s daughter… Whoa. How come you haven’t Awakened?”

“I am. Kinda. It’s a long story. Weren’t you going to see Kelly?”

“Not anymore. So, where’s he been hiding you?”

Knight let out a disgusted sound and started back towards the Parker house. When Knight passed Cibrian, he huffed in his face, making the young man tremble in fear. Jordan followed Knight with Cibrian beside her, watching her avidly as if she was his favorite rock star. 

“What?” 

Cibrian shook his head. “This is huge. I’m related and I never heard of you. Everyone’s gonna flip. So, seriously, where have you been?”

“Recently? Las Vegas.”

“Sin City? Nice. Who is your mom? I know it can’t be Aunt Kelly.”

“My mom died a long time ago.”

“Was she powerful? Was she famous?”

Jordan let out a hollow laugh. “No.”

 “We’re cousins.” 

His eyes roved over her face and settled on her lips for several seconds.

“We’re not related by blood, are we?” he asked absently. 

A cousin, Jordan thought, struck by the notion. 

“No chance either way,” Jordan said firmly.

He shrugged. “No matter. Uncle Van would kill me anyway. Where is he?”

“Away on business.”

Cibrian fingered his lip. “That’s right. Everybody’s probably wondering if he’s going to replace William.”

Jordan stopped in her tracks and so did Knight. She turned to Cibrian, snippets of conversation running through her mind from Mr. Penn and the reporter. “You’re talking about William Stan?” She swallowed because her mouth was suddenly dry. 

Cibrian’s eyes were on Knight. “Yeah, Autumis needs a new Guide.”

“Mr. Parker said William was some kind of President?” 

Cibrian turned back to her. “Why do you call him Mr. Parker? He’s your dad.”

“Why would anyone ask Mr. Parker to take William’s place?” Jordan repeated. She felt this was important, a missing piece she needed to know.

Cibrian shrugged. “Your dad’s powerful.”

“Aren’t there a lot of “powerful” people?”

“Not like him. There aren’t many sorcerers in the world.”

“Sorcerers?”

Cibrian looked as confused as she felt. He opened his mouth to ask another question, but Knight hissed and he jumped. “Sorcerer’s are the only beings that handle all four elements.”

She remembered her conversation with Heath. “Don’t most people have only one or two elements?”

He nodded. “That’s all most people can handle, but people like your dad and William, they’re born with more power than we can imagine.”

William and Mr. Parker were the same. Sorcerers. Just as dangerous, just as deadly. A distant part of her wondered if she’d known all along and hadn’t let herself believe that Mr. Parker was just as lethal as William. Despite the heat, her skin was cold and clammy. 

“William went crazy,” Jordan whispered. “What stops Mr. Parker from being just like him?”

“Aunt Kelly. She’s a Grounder,” Cibrian said.

So many things fell into place. Mr. Parker and Kelly’s strange relationship, Heath guarding the property and Mr. Parker knowing exactly how to break the soul tie between her and William.

“Do they have a soul tie?” Jordan asked through numb lips. It was what William believed would save his sanity, uniting their souls together. The remembered pain, the violation of having something precious ripped from her and replacing it with something warped and evil made her tremble.  

“No.” 

Jordan’s eyes were filled with horror and fear. “So, Mr. Parker can lose control like William?”

“Who says William lost control? I heard he was assassinated. Aunt Kelly won’t let Uncle Van go crazy.”

She ignored his comment about William because she had more important things to iron out. “But Mr. Parker can lose control, right?”

Cibrian nodded and took a step forward when she swayed, but stopped short at Knight’s warning growl. 

“Are you a Grounder?”

“Why would you think so?” she asked harshly.

“Mr. Parker’s a sorcerer, so everyone assumes you’ll inherit your birthright from him.”

“What birthright?” Dread spread through her. 

“All the elements. Men with all the elements are called sorcerers, the women are Grounders.”

The information nearly sent her to her knees. Now, it made sense. If William knew Mr. Parker was her father, he assumed when she came into her power she would inherit all the elements and be able to save him. Jordan had the sensation of falling and felt Knight brush against her, bucking his head against her shoulder to keep her in the present. Did Catherine know who her father was? Someone who knew her father served her up to William on a platter. She felt sick. She turned and started back towards the stream. Knight paced restlessly around her, whining as she leaned down to splash cold water on her face. 

“Jordan?” Cibrian’s voice came from somewhere behind her. “Are you okay?”

She wasn’t okay. She couldn’t live in a house with a sorcerer, a man capable of murdering if he lost control. He could turn at any moment. Mr. Parker was just like William, a monster. What if Kelly couldn’t control Mr. Parker? Kelly was so sweet and good and he was so… like William. No. She had to get away. 

“Do you live near here?” Jordan asked in a voice as level as she could manage. She had to see the layout of the property so she could make a plan to escape. 

“About a ten minute walk. Are you okay? Want me to call Aunt Kelly?” 

Jordan got to her feet. “No, but do you mind showing me your place?”

Cibrian looked puzzled, but didn’t argue. “Sure. Can you walk?”

“Yeah.” 

Cibrian walked back across the bridge and she followed. 

“Mr. Parker said no one can cross the stream without his permission,” Jordan said, needing as much information as possible.

“Yeah, it doesn’t affect family though.” Cibrian pulled on his shirt, which clung to his skin. “Did I say something wrong?” 

Jordan clenched shaking hands together. “Mr. Parker never told me any of this.” 

“But, you must have heard stuff while you were growing up.”

Cibrian’s horse caught sight of Knight and took off at a gallop.

“I met Mr. Parker two weeks ago. I didn’t know anything about any of this,” Jordan said. 

In every direction, all she could see were gently rolling hills. Where was he taking her? 

Cibrian stopped dead in his steps. “What? Uncle Van couldn’t let you grow up not knowing who you are, what you could be.”

“Well, he did and you know what? I was better off not knowing. Maybe this is all a big mistake. I mean, I don’t have all the elements.” She handled only water and fire. She didn’t deal with earth or wind stuff. Maybe this was all a big mistake and William and Mr. Parker were wrong about her. Her mom never talked about her father except to say he left before Jordan was born and she definitely hadn’t shown signs of magic. 

“You don’t come into your full power all at once. It takes time,” Cibrian said.

Anger, fear and betrayal burned in her gut. Had she actually begun to believe she was safe, that she could heal here and live a normal life where she didn’t have to be on guard? Were they ever going to explain what Mr. Parker was? Did they think she wouldn’t find out?

“I didn’t save him. I can’t be a Grounder,” Jordan muttered.

“Jordan?” Cibrian stared at the circle pendant that sparkled with light every time Knight brushed against her. 

“No! I’m not his daughter. Maybe we should take a paternity test or something.” She marched ahead, ignoring the weariness. She didn’t have time to be tired or weak. She had to get out of here, preferably before Mr. Parker returned. 

 “I really don’t think Uncle Van’s the type of guy to take on another guy’s kid, if you know what I mean,” Cibrian said.

“He didn’t take me on at all. Mr. Penn had to force him.”

“Penn? How’s he involved in this?”

“It doesn’t matter. It’s just- wow.”

They stood at the top of the decline. It was as if a bomb went off in the middle of the pasture, creating a crater. At the bottom of the crater was a beautiful white mansion trimmed in gold paint that gleamed in the sun. 

“That’s your house?” Jordan asked. 

“Yeah, watch your step,” Cibrian said and started downhill at a run. 

Jordan looked around, but there was no sign of any other houses or roads. Where the hell in Texas was she? She made her way down slowly, holding onto Knight for dear life. 

“How do you get anywhere?” Jordan puffed as she walked towards Cibrian who stood on gold steps leading up to the porch, which had baby angel statues playing the harp.

“What do you mean?”

“How do you get groceries, clothes?” She nearly crawled up the steps.

“The Tolly way.” Cibrian smiled and walked into the house.

“Tolly?” Jordan repeated and entered after him.  

Jordan blinked several times and even raised her fists to rub at her eyes, but the scene didn’t change. She stood on a gold path that ran from the front door to a huge white and gold staircase. The staircase led to a circular floor that floated in midair. She tilted her head back and her mouth dropped open. There was no discernible ceiling. Light pink rose petals floated downwards in thick sheets that dissolved several feet above her head. 

To the left of the path was a meadow with high green grass covered in flowers of every color. A gentle breeze carried a sweet scent on the air and pink and white cherry blossom trees grew over endless hills. Horses grazed in the distance and she saw Cibrian’s horse join the herd. A slow moving river cut through the meadow, completing the scene of perfection.

Jordan shook herself and turned to the right. At first, all she could see was a blanket of blinding white and then the picture registered. Snow covered the ground, pure and thick. There was a huge frozen pond in the distance. Bare trees sprouted up from the snow, branches sporting long icicles that glittered in sunshine that shone from nowhere. 

Jordan’s knees began to shake. She turned to look at the door she came through, the door that led out into the “real” word. There it was, solid. On either side of the door was a wall that went out about five feet and disappeared into nothing. Her dazzled eyes fell on Cibrian who watched her with a large smile on his face. At another time, she would have taken exception to his gleeful smirk, but she was too astounded to care. Jordan looked left and right at the winter wonderland and meadows, dumbfounded

“Welcome to Tolly House,” Cibrian said.

“You could have warned me,” Jordan said faintly.

“You wouldn’t have believed me anyway.”

Jordan crouched down and brushed her hand over the springy grass. She plucked an indigo colored flower from the meadow and sniffed it. She ignored Cibrian’s grin and took three strides to the right and placed her hand over the snow and jumped. 

“This is amazing,” she whispered. 

“Yeah. You’re shaking.”

“This is too much,” she mumbled.

“What? I thought you’d like Tolly House.”

“I do.” She paced and flung her hands into the air. “Too much is happening. Haven, magical worlds, crazy sorcerer’s, a father showing up after all this time, Knight, reporters, the pendant, Kelly…”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Cibrian said.

“I didn’t ask for this, you know?” She walked into the meadow and was engulfed in the sweet smell of flowers. A cool breeze brushed over her face and tugged strands of hair from her braid.

“Being you isn’t so shabby. You’re a Parker,” Cibrian said as if that made up for everything.

She whirled back to him. “Finding out I’m a Parker has caused nothing but trouble.”

Cibrian eyed her. “So, where exactly were you raised?”

“Mostly nut houses,” Jordan said flippantly. When Cibrian raised his brows, she elaborated, “Asylums. You know, where crazy or dangerous people go. They sedate you and make you play with puzzles.” She could feel a scream building in her throat and a jumble of emotions tore her in every direction. To calm herself, she closed her eyes and listened to the sound of birds and whinnying horses in the distance. 

“You mean, you were raised Ignorant?” Cibrian was incredulous.

“If you mean normal people that don’t have power, then, yes.” She walked further into the spring environment because she couldn’t stay still. She could feel herself beginning to unravel. 

“Why would Uncle Van do that?” 

“Because he walked away before I was born. The only reason I’m here now is because he was forced!” Jordan shouted on her way to the river. “Well, he doesn’t have to feel that way much longer because I can’t stay anyway.”

“You can’t go,” Cibrian said, racing after her. “Uncle Van is the only one that can protect you.”

She stopped and turned. “He can lose control at any moment, yet you’re telling me I’m safer with him than anyone else? Didn’t you hear that William killed over two hundred people at once?” She snapped her fingers in his face. “That fast, they were gone. Every one. Workers, families…” Memories coated her voice in fear. 

Cibrian stared at her in dawning horror. “There’s a rumor that William Stan was after a girl, but- Are you…?” 

“I can’t do this again,” Jordan whispered. “I can’t.” She sank down on the grass and clutched her chest where her heart throbbed painfully.

“Jordan.”

Cibrian’s hand fell on her shoulder and she looked up to see sky blue eyes expand until there was no white, only endless, eerie blue. She jerked away and Cibrian fell on his hands and knees beside her, breathing hard. When he raised his head, he stared blindly ahead for several minutes without moving. 

“Cibrian?” 

He blinked and when he looked at her, his eyes were back to normal and filled with awe. “You’re a Parker, alright.”

“What? What happened to your eyes?”

“I told you, I can tell fortunes when I touch someone. It’s only happened once so far, but it’s a Tolly birthright.” He took a deep breath and sat beside her, deep in thought. “Usually when we touch someone, we get snap shots of paths a person can take, but with you you’re either going one way or the other. The choice is yours.”

“Okay, Yoda,” Jordan said uncomfortably, ignoring the goose bumps that erupted over her skin. 

“Who’s Levi?”

Jordan grabbed fistfuls of his shirt and leaned close. “How do you know Levi?”

“I heard you say his name. I saw his face too,” Cibrian said quickly.

“How? From your visions? He’s alive?”

“He must be. Your fates are entwined.”

“What does that mean?”

Cibrian carefully extracted his shirt from her grasp. “I don’t know. We’re not allowed to tell people their fate. It messes with their heads.”

“He’s alive.” Jordan closed her eyes as relief washed through her. Some of her desperate fear faded. Knowing Levi was alive distracted her from her present problem.  

“Are you okay?”

She opened her eyes and watched two horses run over the meadow. “No.”

“Did William-”

Over the sound of the horses, someone called Cibrian’s name. 

“That’s Rhonda, my cousin. She takes care of Tolly House. I’ll be right back.”

Cibrian squeezed her shoulder before he started back towards the gold path between the spring and winter environments. She was surprised how far they walked. She drew her legs up to her chest and watched the horses drink from the river. The breeze on her face was comforting and she closed her eyes and let the sound of water soothe her. 

She had to leave. She couldn’t sleep, knowing she was under the same roof as a sorcerer. Why didn’t Kelly or Heath tell her? It was true that Mr. Parker hadn’t hurt her. He actually helped break the soul tie, but wasn’t it just a matter of time before he became like William?

Knight lay beside her and she buried her hand in his fur. Her thoughts switched to Levi. He was still out there, somewhere. Did the Master find him or was he still on the run? She had to get in touch with him. Why wasn’t she able to connect with him? She knew he would do anything for her, as she would for him. 

Jordan didn’t notice the circle pendant flare with light as she unconsciously reached for the mental connection she shared with Levi. As Jordan’s thoughts drifted, something familiar brushed against her senses and melded. 

Jordan?

She stopped breathing. Levi? Was she imagining his voice?

For a moment, there was nothing and then, Jordan? Are you okay?

Tears of joy and relief fell from closed eyes. I’m fine. Where are you?

I’m in El Paso. Why the hell haven’t we been able to connect? I’ve been going out of my mind. His voice was rough with worry and anger. 

William did something and- You’re in El Paso, Texas? What were the chances that Levi would be in Texas?

I’ve been tracking you. It’s been damn difficult. Yesterday, for a moment, it was like you sent out a beacon. I knew exactly where you were and then I lost you. Right now, I know exactly where you are. I can be there in eight hours. I’m leaving now. Levi’s voice was focused and steady.  

Jordan shot to her feet and lost the connection. She clutched her head, which throbbed because of the severed connection. 

“Why does this keep happening?” she moaned. 

Her foot brushed against Knight and she saw the circle pendant flare. The pendant acted as a prism, blossoming over and over with light trapped in glass. She felt Levi brushing her senses again and latched on for dear life. Catching on, she leaned against Knight and saw the pendant flash so bright, she closed her eyes again. 

You can’t come here. It’s not safe, she said as quickly as she could. 

I’m not leaving you there. Who has you?

She heard the determination in his voice, that unstoppable quality that got them through the horrors in Haven. 

My biological father. I need to get away because he’s just like William-

Levi’s panic hit her and the breath whooshed out of her. 

He hasn’t hurt me, but there’s a chance he could become like William and lose control. I can’t take that chance. Maybe I can meet you in the nearest city. She didn’t want Levi coming here and facing Mr. Parker. Just the thought of that confrontation made her sick.  

The nearest city is Austin, but I’m not leaving you there. Are you locked up?

No, I can get away. She tried to sound confident, but fell short and Levi picked up on it immediately. 

 I’ll be there soon. Be ready.

Jordan shook her head. If I can’t get away, just leave me here. 

We promised. His voice was rough with frustration.

I don’t care! Didn’t you hear what William did? This guy can do the same thing-

You got me out of Haven. I’m not going to leave you with another William. 

This time, Levi cut the connection and no matter how much she plastered herself against Knight, she couldn’t connect with him again. Levi was blocking her, that stubborn ass. Now, what was she going to do? As if she didn’t have enough problems, now Levi was adding himself to the mix. So, she had to find a way to make a break for it by sunrise. How? The only thing she could think of was to follow the driveway to the front gate. The drive from the highway to the house was around… fifteen minutes? She groaned and buried her face against her knees. Knight stretched and moved away from her. 

She clutched the circle pendant in one fist. It was cold to the touch and clear as crystal once more. She could connect with Levi only when she had power. When she faced the reporter and reached for her power yesterday, that must be the moment Levi sensed her. If she touched Knight, she could connect with Levi too. She wasn’t sure how long she sat there, ideas passing through her mind one after the other, but she realized sitting there wouldn’t solve anything. 

Jordan rose and winced at the aches. She looked around for Knight, but he was nowhere to be seen. She started back towards the gold path and found it odd that Cibrian hadn’t come back for her. She saw movement to her left and jumped. About twenty feet away, dressed in a black trench and jeans stood the Master of Haven. The breeze tugged at his blonde hair and his skin gleamed in the sunlight. Jordan was so terrified, she couldn’t move a muscle. 

If you're enjoying please vote or leave comments below!! Any questions, feel free to ask!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 248 29
It came during the most desperate of times, after a reign of bloodshed. It thundered on in spite of terror, hopelessness and the great chain of inequ...
1.7K 263 46
Highest Rank: #144 in Adventure. He was 18-years-old when his father died. He was also 18-years-old when he received his powers, one of which was the...
11.7K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
208 28 20
Angie frowned, "I don't understand. What does any of this has to do with Harper?" I stood, tears were already streaming my face, "I'm the child in th...