STRANGER ━ Jon Snow

By stxrmborn

❝ The Gods gave me a rare woman and I loved her well. ❞ THE RARE WOMEN SERIES - NOVEL #1 GAME OF TH... More

SUMMARY
PLAYLIST
SCORE
GRAPHIC GALLERY
EPIGRAPH
BOOK I: JORRΔ€ELAGON
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
BOOK II: IVΔͺLΔͺBAGON
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
FORTY ONE
FORTY TWO
FORTY THREE
FORTY FOUR
FORTY FIVE
BOOK III: SΔͺMONAGON
FORTY SIX
FORTY SEVEN
FORTY EIGHT
FORTY NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY ONE
FIFTY TWO
FIFTY THREE
FIFTY FOUR
FIFTY FIVE
FIFTY SIX
FIFTY SEVEN
FIFTY EIGHT
FIFTY NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY ONE
SIXTY TWO
SIXTY FOUR
SIXTY FIVE
SIXTY SIX
SIXTY SEVEN
SIXTY EIGHT
SIXTY NINE
SEVENTY
SEVENTY ONE
SEVENTY TWO
EPILOGUE
APPENDIX
AUTHOR'S NOTE

SIXTY THREE

15.5K 755 172
By stxrmborn

CHAPTER 63 | EASTWATCH

JORAH Mormont was a strange type of man. After meeting the likes of his first cousion, Lyanna Mormont, Maia decided that Jorah was the exact opposite of her. He seemed very dedicated and courageous though, and Maia could see how devoted he was to Daenerys. She knew he had been with her for years, but Daenerys had informed her that he left to find a cure for his greyscale, which was the disease she remembered Shireen Baratheon having.

The more she looked at Jorah, she thought of little Shireen. They seemed to be both kind and pure souls. They were dedicated to compassion. Not to mention they both were cured of the same disease. Maia missed Shireen, and she couldn't believe it had been a few years without her. She felt the same with Gilly, whom she missed very dearly. Maia missed the times she would sit with Gilly inside Castle Black, helping her read by the fire. Gilly had been the first person Maia truly trusted, and she would forever feel the same.

A raven arrived for Jon shortly after Jorah Mormont's arrival. Maia had been standing on the shores of Dragonstone, allowing the water to just barely graze her feet. Davos was speaking with her about inventions in her world when she spotted the raven flying in her direction. Maia quickly took off her boots and ran into the water, just a bit. She met the raven where the ocean stood at her knees. The raven dropped the scroll in her hands before sailing off, back North. She knew the letter was for Jon.

And so, they held a meeting. Daenerys sat at the head of the Painted Table in her council room, with Jorah and Varys standing on both her sides. Jon stood at the other end, and both Maia and Tyrion sat uncomfortably at the table, while Davos placed himself near his king. Jon read the words of the letter addressed to him carefully, making sure he caught every word. A moment later, he looked up to say, "I thought Arya was dead. I thought Bran was dead."

"Then this should be good news," Maia lifted her head, "right?"

"I'm happy for you," Daenerys congratulated, noticing the odd look on Jon's face. "You don't look happy."

Jon folded the letter on the table. He was, indeed, happy to hear of his siblings survival; he just hated that they still had to grow up in a world that would soon be distraught by war. "Bran saw the Night King and his army marching towards Eastwatch. If they make it past the Wall –"

"The Wall has kept them out for thousands of years, presumably," Varys interrupted.

"I need to go home." Jon said, eyes then landing on Maia. "We need to go home."

Daenerys frowned. "You said you didn't have enough men."

"We'll fight with the men we have. Unless you'll join us."

"And give the country to Cersei?" Daenerys rolled her eyes. "As soon as I march away, she marches in."

"Well," Maia cleared her throat, "how about this: we try to find the closest weirwood tree and I can travel back to my world. While I'm there, I can research information and devise a plan to combat the dead."

Jon shook his head. "The closest weirwoods are too far from here, and who knows how long you'd be away. We don't have the time to wait around for your information, as much as that would be easier. The Night King is on the move, faster than ever."

"Perhaps another idea," Tyrion turned to Daenerys' wandering stare. "Cersei thinks the army of the dead is nothing but a story, made up by wet nurses to frighten children. What if we prove her wrong?"

"I don't think she'll come see the dead at my invitation," Jon added.

Tyrion walked forward, past Maia's chair. "So bring the dead to her."

Jon furrowed his brow. Maia felt her stomach churn with worry.

"I thought that was what we were trying to avoid," Daenerys said.

"You don't have to bring the whole army," Tyrion suggested. "Only one soldier."

Davos glanced to Jon. "Is that possible?"

Jon looked to his feet. He hesitated, choosing his words carefully as he reflected on his past. "First Wight I ever saw was brought into Castle Black from beyond the Wall."

"Bring one of these things down to King's Landing and show her the truth," Tyrion persuaded.

Maia bit at the bottom of her lip. This seemed like an extremely dangerous plan.

"Anything you bring back will be useless, unless Cersei grants us an audience," Varys argued, "and is somehow convinced not to murder us the moment we set foot in the Capital."

Tyrion stared off into the bright fire in the torches before him. "The only person she listens to is Jaime. He might listen to me."

Daenerys brought her hand forward. "And how would you get into King's Landing?"

All heads turned to the back of the room. "Ser Davos isn't known for smuggling onions for nothing," Maia muttered.

Davos sighed. "I can smuggle you in. But if the Gold Cloaks were to recognize you, I'm warning you. I'm not a fighter."

Tyrion nodded as Daenerys quipped, "But it will all be for nothing if we don't have one of these dead men."

"Fair point," Varys agreed. "How do you propose to find one?"

Jon's hand lingered on the table in front of him. His stare went to Maia, who watched him with her laced hands in front of her face. She shook her head silently at him. Maia Sanders had always been Jon Snow's little storm, but it was time for him to face the bringer of storms himself – the Night King.

"With the queen's permission, I'll go North and take one," Jorah spoke up. Daenerys viewed at him with worry. "You asked me to find a cure so I could serve you. Allow me to serve you."

Jon nodded his head towards Jorah. "The Free Folk will help us. They know the real North better than anyone."

"They won't follow Ser Jorah," Davos reminded.

"They won't have to." Jon replied quickly. "I'm going."

Maia closed her eyes for a moment. All thoughts came to her at once. The first time she found the weirwood tree in Washington. The first time she laid her eyes on Jon Snow. The first time he kissed her. The moment he was killed by his own Watch brothers. The time Melisandre had revealed she was the Traveler. When Jon asked to marry her. The day she found out she was having his bastard. Everything was happening, all at the same time, and she couldn't do anything about it. It was all leading up to this; to this moment.

"You can't lead a raid beyond the Wall." Davos said, after a moment of silence. "You're not in the Night's Watch anymore. You're King in the North."

"I'm the only one here who's fought them," Jon argued. "I'm the only one here who knows them."

Daenerys swallowed hard. "I haven't even given you permission to leave."

"With respect, Your Grace, I don't need your permission. I am a king." Jon replied, keeping his eyes trained on the dragon queen. "I came here, knowing you could have your men behead me or your dragons burn me alive. I put my trust in you – a stranger – because I knew it was the best chance for my people, for all our people. Now I'm asking you to trust in a stranger, because it is our best chance."

The room held no sounds, no echo. It was utterly quiet. Everyone sat back and thought to themselves, until someone finally spoke. Maia recognized the words she said once to Jon, and was proud of him for repeating them.

"You haven't asked my thoughts yet."

All stares turned to Maia, sitting in her chair at the middle of the table. She viewed at Jon with sadness, her eyes almost welling up with tears. Jon couldn't look away, and it physically pained him to see her with so much worry. "So," Davos coughed, "what are your thoughts, Lady Maia?"

"I say no," Maia replied quickly, tracing her fingers in the crevices of the Painted Table. Flashes of her dream appeared in the corner of her eyes. "Jon Snow is a king and should be treated as such. He needs to stay here and allow others to lead the raid. He must not put himself in harm's way yet again. This will not end the way we want to."

And as if time was repeating itself, Jon said to Maia, "You cannot ask that of me."

Maia looked up. "And yet, I am." She slammed her fist down on the table. "I won't let you do this."

"Maybe this conversation can be made private –" Tyrion suggested.

"Quiet," Maia seethed, glancing back to Jon. "Please, remind me, Your Grace – what happened the last time you did not listen to my predictions?"

Jon shook his head, hoping she wouldn't spit out the truth. "This is different."

"This is no different!" Maia exclaimed, standing up to face him. "This will be a repeat of what you said happened at Hardhome. I will not allow you to risk your life on a solution that Cersei Lannister won't even listen to." She stared at him angrily. "These are my thoughts, Jon Snow. Take them or leave it."

Before Jon could retort, Daenerys cleared her throat. "Perhaps you two can continue this behind closed doors?"

Maia and Jon sent each other one last glare before releasing a sigh. Maia looked to Daenerys at the head of the table and nodded at her request. She shouldn't have gotten so heated in front of everyone. Her affection and worry made her look like the odd one out.

"Meeting adjourned."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 6.5K 36
snow touching stars is a rare thing. a jon snow fanfiction| game of thrones A Targaryen and a Vela were always meant to be together. But when...
581K 22.7K 28
❝ You Lannister lions are nothing but sinners. ❞ THE RARE WOMEN SERIES - NOVEL #3 GAME OF THRONES - SEASON 2 & 3 © stxrmborn COMPLETE...
18.2K 592 24
She saw firsthand how loyalty could falter, how war destroyed everything in its path, how men died serving fools. So much that could have been preven...
5.8K 202 33
CURRENTLY ON S6 " there's a million things.. there's a million things I can say .." jon snow x wilding fem oc ~while on his adventure in the north, t...