The Female Bodyguard

By Jing-Yi

"You have to stop doing that." "Stop doing what?" "Saying things that makes me want to kiss you when I can't... More

The Female Bodyguard
01 ‖ The Psychotic Prince
02 ‖ The Suicidal King
03 ‖ Nincompoops
04 ‖ The Desk Lady
05 ‖ Tomorrow
06 ‖ The Dress
07 ‖ Dance With Me
08 ‖ Abducted
09 ‖ Pretty
10 ‖ Heartbreak
11 ‖ His Name
12 ‖ Girlfriend
13 ‖ The Cherry Farm
14 ‖ Fiancé Of The Ex
15 ‖ The Badge
16 ‖ Hope Behind Bitterness
17 ‖ An Unknown Truth
18 ‖ Traitors
19 ‖ Lucky Day
20 ‖ I Don't Miss
21 ‖ Someone I Used To Know
22 ‖ My Lies
23 ‖ The Invitation
25 ‖ Never Wrong
26 ‖ The Unwanted Visitor
27 ‖ Only A Warning
28 ‖ Just A Traitor's Daughter
29 ‖ Make A Wish
30 ‖ An Inescapable Fate

24 ‖ The Ball

18.7K 879 528
By Jing-Yi

Before I can even process Alvaro's request, Casimir swiftly intervenes, rising from his seat in one fluid motion.

"You must be out of your mind," Casimir exclaims in exasperation, his voice laced with palpable disbelief and a deep sense of appalled astonishment at Alvaro's audacious proposal.

"Stay out of this, Caz. It doesn't even involve you," Alvaro retorts with an eye roll, his irritation palpable in his dismissive demeanour and tone.

"I don't give a damn about what you think, Alv," Casimir snaps, his frustration seeping through his words. "No way in hell will I let her get mixed up in your delusional schemes."

Sensing the tension mounting in the hut, I weakly clutch onto Casimir's arm, a silent plea for his attention. I can feel a growing urge to speak, to have my voice heard in the midst of the escalating conflict.

Casimir's gaze, previously locked onto Alvaro with an unwavering intensity, softens as he turns to look at me. I can see a glimmer of understanding and consideration in his eyes, a silent acknowledgement that my perspective matters to him.

"Explain," I murmur, my voice carrying a faint hint of fatigue as I struggle to make myself heard.

Alvaro turns to look at me, his hesitation palpable in the furrow of his brow and the uncertainty in his eyes. However, he begins to explain, his words cautious and measured as he unveils his motive.

"As you know, Rosalia's missing. But,the rest of the world doesn't know. Your physique is similar to that of Rosalia's. All I'm asking is for you to pretend to be her for one night. It's going to be a masquerade ball. Your face will be hidden, and I promise that no one will recognise you," Alvaro explains, his words carefully calculated to persuade me.

Yet, something in his demeanour raises an alarm within me. The way his shoulders tense and the evasiveness in his tone almost hint that he might not be revealing the entire truth. A gnawing feeling of unease settles in the pit of my stomach as I sense there is more to his request than he is letting on.

"That's not all, is it?" I press, my tone edged with a mix of concern and suspicion.

His eyes widen, clearly caught off guard by my question, but he swiftly regains his composure and lets out a light, dismissive chuckle.

"You're as sharp as your father," he remarks casually, and I cannot help but tense at the comparison, a feeling of disdain washing over me.

Upon hearing Alvaro's comment, Casimir shoots me a perplexed look, clearly confused as to why Alvaro is bringing up my father.

Alvaro finally comes clean, his demeanour as calm as ever. "It's likely that traitors are going to show up to the ball and if so, I would like for you to be there. I stand by what I say, you are the closest we'll get to understanding how these traitors act."

Not this again.

I cannot hide my annoyance as Alvaro's words sink in. The idea of being associated with my father and these traitors he supposedly gathered, even if only in a ruse, doesn't sit well with me. My lips tighten, and my gaze hardens as I contemplate his request, a mixture of frustration and reluctance bubbling within me.

Noticing my distress, Casimir immediately steps in.

"You're absolutely insane. She will not get involved in anything this dangerous," Casimir asserts with unyielding sternness, as he firmly opposes Alvaro's proposition.

"I don't want to force you, Larissa," Alvaro says with a measured, almost regretful tone, his demeanour surprisingly calm despite the implicit threat. "That's why I'm being truthful with you. But if you leave me with no other choice," he continues, his voice taking on a harder edge, "I won't hesitate." His words hang in the air, a subtle warning underscored by his unwavering determination.

Alvaro's veiled threat grates on my nerves, and I cannot help the surge of annoyance that washes over me. My jaw clenches, and my eyes narrow as I bristle at his words.

"And what exactly will you do?" I ask, my words edged with a steely determination that matches the fire in my gaze, despite the unease his threat has stirred within me.

"I suppose Casimir's pursuit of my missing fiancée will have to be revealed to the world," Alvaro declares without hesitation. "I wonder how he'll ascend the throne then, with our alliance shattered by his obsession over my fiancée. Just imagine the contempt in the eyes of every Acrerian when he returns home," he adds, a sly smile curling at the corners of his lips.

Casimir's anger simmers just beneath the surface, visible in the clenching of his fists and the tensing of his jaw as Alvaro spoke. His eyes glint with a steely resolve, and the muscles in his jaw twitch with contained fury. While he does not say anything in response, the intensity of his reaction is a testament to the rage that Alvaro's threat has ignited within him.

As Alvaro's words hang in the air, I am torn between conflicting emotions that churn within me. Fear grips my heart, but it isn't because of the danger that lies ahead. Rather, it is the fear of what might resurface from my past.

What if Casimir and everyone else find out how horrible of a person I am?

After all, Casimir already has his suspicions since our interaction with Chad and it has not been long enough since.

The thought of exposing secrets I had buried for so long fills me with a gnawing dread.

Yet, there is something else, something deeper that tugs at my conscience.

Something that I cannot quite comprehend.

"I'll do it," I respond curtly.

Casimir's anger, which had burned brightly just moments ago, is swiftly replaced by shock and he is speechless.

A smile creeps onto Alvaro's face.

"Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow night in Vesna," he declares, his tone carrying a sense of triumph.

With that, he exits the hut, leaving behind a thick, lingering tension that almost suffocates me.

"You don't have to do that, Rissa. I can bear the consequences of my own actions, you don't have to do it for me," Casimir says, his voice tinged with a mixture of apology and self-annoyance.

A fleeting moment of heavy silence envelops the hut.

"You'll be a good king, Caz."

A look of surprise briefly flickers across Casimir's face, but his expression quickly becomes unreadable. Nonetheless, he does not say another word.

♚♚♚

"I can't believe you guys actually agreed to this," Reece exclaims in disbelief, her fingers idly toying with the ruffles on her dress.

"Well, I'm not complaining. I look absolutely hot in this. I even counted this time," Dominic remarks with a casual shrug, radiating contentment.

"Counted what?" Ezra questions in confusion.

"The number of times a girl glanced my way. Can you believe it, 56 times? Well, 57 if we include our duckling here," Dominic teases and drapes his arm over my shoulder playfully.

"You wish," I retort with an eye roll.

Noticing this, Casimir subtly removes Dominic's arm from my shoulder, as he comes between us.

"Now that we're here, you can get as many girls as you want, Dom." Casimir announces as he begins walking to the right, shifting away from me while dragging Dominic along with him.

"I hate the smell of this place," Reece declares with a sigh, her voice tinged with a hint of forced disdain. "It's all roses and perfection. Why does it have to be so perfect?"

She seems to be making an effort to convince herself of her dislike.

"You're perfect too, Ree," Silas says bashfully, his eyes darting briefly over Reece's outfit before he quickly averts his gaze.

He isn't wrong.

Reece's ball gown is a fusion of midnight blue and silver, shimmering with every step she takes. It follows her every move, a striking reflection of her vibrant character.

"Once we're inside, remember not to remove your masks. None of us can get recognised here," Casimir cautions.

With that said, we enter the grand ballroom of the palace. The room is a breathtaking spectacle. Crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling, casting a shimmering light over the opulent decor.

The space is alive with the vibrant colours of elaborate masks, gowns, and suits, and a dazzling array of feathers, lace, and silk. People from all walks of life mingle in a dance of elegance and intrigue, their identities concealed behind intricately designed masks. The air is filled with the soft murmur of conversations and the enchanting strains of classical music, inviting guests to lose themselves in the enchantment of the masquerade.

"I have to find Alvaro now. Please be careful while I'm gone. It won't take long," I urge Casimir.

A look of reluctance smears across Casimir's face, but he nods in agreement nonetheless.

I turn and begin to weave my way through the crowded ballroom. The sea of masks and extravagant outfits makes navigation challenging, but I move with purpose, my eyes scanning the room for any sign of Alvaro. The soft rustle of silk, the elegant twirl of dancers, and the melodious hum of conversation envelop me as I venture deeper into the labyrinthine world of the masquerade.

I finally spot Alvaro in a far corner of the ballroom. Relief washes over me, but as I hurry to make my way towards him, the hem of my gown gets caught on something, and I stumble. Just as I lose my balance, strong arms envelop me, preventing me from falling.

I look up, only to find myself locked in the concerned eyes of a stranger, his mask concealing his identity. A hint of embarrassment colours my cheeks as I quickly regain my footing.

I quickly dust off my gown, smoothing out the fabric with a grateful nod to the masked stranger. "Thank you," I murmur, my voice soft and appreciative.

Just as I am about to leave, the stranger stops me, his voice, warm and inviting. "Would you care to share a dance with me, Princess Rosalia?"

Shrouded in the intrigue of the masquerade, his invitation holds a hint of curiosity and charm.

Nevertheless, I am taken aback by the way he addresses me, a recognition that seems to penetrate the disguise of the mask.

Does he think I am Rosalia?

Oh right, I am meant to be Rosalia.

Perhaps, this man knows her.

"I'm sorry, but you are?"  I ask cautiously, my curiosity piqued by the captivating air of mystery that surrounds him.

"Ouch, that hurts. Have you already forgotten me?" The man chuckles before graciously revealing his identity.

"Alaistair Mavis, at your service, princess."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.1K 1.4K 91
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED.] This book is a sequel to Assassin Love and cannot be read as a stand alone. READ ASSASSIN LOVE FIRST OTHERWISE YOU...
227 14 19
I smile at this loving the reaction he gave me. So go back to tracing. Purposely making each of my touches softer and slower. He grabs my hand and tu...
206 1 14
It's 1700 King Louis XIV is King, and homosexuality is illegal. However, that won't stop Darcy and Vivianne, or will it? The story of two girls figh...
894 232 38
After Priscilla commits the murder of her best friend's fiance, it causes her to agree to a witch's demands that soon destroys her everything. **** W...