Right Next To Me

Por urbanstargazer

They say true love comes just once in a lifetime. Cate Ryan never stayed in one place. Her childhood was spen... Más

Chapter 1 My Summer Begins
Chapter 2 The First Boy of Summer
Chapter 3 Derek
Chapter 4 I am going.
Chapter 5 Topless Boy
Chapter 6 Seth
Chapter 7 A Day at the Fair
Chapter 8 The Lake House
Chapter 9 Cranky Boy
Chapter 10 The Inside Story
Chapter 11 My Kind of Summer
Chapter 12 A Family Dinner and A Box of Memories
Chapter 13 Always You
Chapter 14 At the White Luncheon
Chapter 15 The (Polo) Playing Field
Chapter 16 Dylan
Chapter 17 That (Awesome) Anniversary Dinner Party
Chapter 18 Operation Bring Back That Lovin' Feeling
Chapter 19 The Beautiful Ones
Chapter 20 A Day with Prince Charming
Chapter 21 Summer Getaways
Chapter 22 Surprise!
Chapter 24 One Stormy Night
Chapter 25 A Lovers' Quarrel
Chapter 26 One Last Hurray for Summer
Chapter 27 Another Summer Ends
Chapter 28 The Birthday Celebrations
Chapter 29 Whose Birthday Is It Anyway?
Chapter 30 The (Best) Morning After
Chapter 31 On Courage and Sleeping
Chapter 32 Merry Christmas, War Is Over
Chapter 33 Happy New Year Dear
Chapter 34 My Cranky Valentine
Chapter 35 The Love Intervention
Chapter 36 The Sweetest Thing
Chapter 37 The Birthday Boy
Chapter 38 On A Night Like This
Chapter 39 What Happens in California...
Chapter 40 Decisions...Decisions...
Chapter 41 A Promise I Make
Chapter 42 Right Next To Me
Chapter 43 Cheesy Lines and Perfect Words
Chapter 44 Endless Summer
Forever Summer Series

Chapter 23 His Point Of View

2.7K 30 1
Por urbanstargazer

Chapter 23   ~ His Point Of View

Dylan’s POV

I could not ask for more. Cate, the love of my life, has agreed to be my girl a few weeks ago. She is as amazing as I remembered her. Heck, she is even better. She has a killer smile, gorgeous face and hot, rocking body to match her already great personality. She makes me laugh and everything about her is so cool and easy.

Sometimes, I get scared with all the trust she gives me. Whenever I kiss her or touch her, she is so giving. She definitely blows my mind.  It is like she would give me anything I ask for. I don’t mind that. I mind that she might think I am taking advantage of her.

I am scared that I might fail her or disappoint her. I am being careful not to do anything stupid that might upset her or scare her in anyway.  I used to flare up easily, sometimes getting into fights.  Cate wouldn’t call me Cranky for nothing. Seth or Derek would keep me in check. Now that I have her, I became more careful in how I react. In a way, she has mellowed me down.

We picked up her friend Kendall from the airport yesterday. She came with additional baggage, Felix, Cate’s ex. If I were the old Dylan, I would have gone ballistic just by seeing her ex. The boy is considered gorgeous in female standards. He is tall, blonde and blue eyed. Any female would worship the ground he walks on. I didn’t know Cate liked blondes. Should I dye my hair? Nah.  

I am now looking at my hair in the mirror. Darn, I need a haircut. I am starting to look like Justin Bieber and that is soooo not good. I am actually going for a more mature and professional look, not a young, pop singer.

Seeing the way Felix looks at Cate during lunch, he is definitely still into her. I bit my tongue just so I do not say anything I might regret later. I would have lashed out at Cate for not clearing things up with Felix before we hooked up.

I have encouraged her to deal with Felix issues before we even got together. She must have forgotten. I would like to think she forgot about him because of me. Yeah, maybe she forgot about him because of me. I’ll give her that. I’ll give her the chance to explain when she is ready. I’m sure she has valid reasons for not dealing with Felix soon enough.

Crap, what if she is confused? What if she is torn between me and Felix? I shook my head trying to remove those thoughts out of my head.

No, she isn’t confused. I could see her love every time she looks at me. I could feel it in every kiss. She might not love me as much as I love her, but I know that she does.

She does seem shocked and annoyed at Felix’s arrival. She hasn’t told me what happened with her and Felix’s mother but it might have been something to do with that.

Felix, on the other hand, seemed oblivious to how Cate reacted. He had his hand on her back when we got out of the airport. I wanted to yank his arm away from my girl. Again, I just have to keep my cool for Cate. I must’ve counted up to a million just to calm myself down. OK, maybe just a thousand. The walk from the arrival hall to my car was short. I kept glancing at Cate the whole time but she seemed far off. She wouldn’t smile or say anything. I wondered what is going on in her mind.

When we reached the apartment and Cate and Kendall were unpacking in the bedroom, Seth told me that he has received several messages from Lady Marquardt. She was asking if what Julianna told her were true. As per Julianna, Seth and Cate are not dating. Lady M said Julianna is going berserk about being lied to. Apparently, Julianna saw Cate and I together at one of the concerts we attended last week with my friends.

It would have been easy to deny and still make her believe that Cate is not a threat if she hadn’t seen us kissing. Seth and I are thinking of how to deal with this mess before it gets out of hand. Julianna does whatever she pleases. I dread that one of those things could be to hurt me or worse, Cate. Speaking of Cate, I think I saw her silently approach.

“Cate.” I called her. She was ready to walk away. I hope she didn’t hear my discussion with Seth. She turned slowly on her heel to face me. She kept her focus on the floor, not even looking at me. I lifted her chin up. She closed her eyes, slightly wincing.

I studied her face for a moment. She looks scared or apprehensive. I don’t know. Why would she be scared? She slightly opened one eye to take a peek. She looks like a cute little one eyed bunny. I wanted to smile but she looks so serious. “Go ahead. Say it.” She said.

“What do you want me to say?” Was she expecting me to whip her ass because of Felix? Did she really think I am that ill-tempered to lash out at her? I don’t want her to be scared of me like this. I will not do anything to hurt her.

“Aren’t you mad at me for not clearing my issues with Felix?” She asked quietly, unable to look at me. I pulled her into my arms and kissed her forehead. “Dylan.”  She nudged me to say something.

“I don’t have anything to say. You were as surprised as me.” I lifted up her chin again so I could look into her eyes. “Were you quiet the whole time because you thought I was mad at you?”  She nodded, biting her lip. “Oh, Cate.” I sighed. “I know I have a bad temper but I will never lose it with you.”

“You’re not mad?” She asked again, her big blue eyes are staring back at me. I shook my head, smiling. She tiptoed and kissed me on the lips. “I promise I will clear up this mess by tomorrow.”

“Kendall will be there tomorrow, right?” I asked, tracing her jawline with my finger. She is so breathtakingly beautiful.  She nodded. “Good. I am not comfortable letting you go out alone with him. I trust you but I hardly know the guy so…”

“You’re not coming with us tomorrow?” She asked, frowning. Yep, she looks adorable even when she frowns.

“That will be awkward. He still thinks he is your boyfriend. I couldn’t bear seeing you with him either. Just don’t let him kiss you, please.” I begged. I swear I am going to smash Mr. Pretty Boy Blonde’s face if he touches my girl.

“Of course, Cranky.” She said smiling and grabbed my collar to kiss me again. So, that was it. If I behave and keep my cool, I get rewarded with kisses. I tightened my arms around her waist and pulled her closer. I felt her arms wrap around my neck. Her body fits mine perfectly and she gets me every time. I get turned on just by holding her and kissing her like this. I wonder if I could handle it if I have her beneath me, naked and inviting. Crap, I shouldn’t be thinking about this now.

I want to wait until she is 18 but oh my god, she gets me hot and bothered all the time. I was unable to control myself back in my apartment. I already had my hands all over her, ready to make love to her whether she likes it or not. She has parted her legs and moved her hips for me. She wanted me too!  It was a good thing (for once) that Chuck came in with his girls to disturb us. I would not have been able to stop myself otherwise.

I didn’t know how long we have been kissing. “Ehrm. The best friends are in the house. Do we really have to witness this?” Seth announced, crossing his arms to his chest. Kendall is grinning beside him, looking so thrilled.

We pulled away from each other. Well, I didn’t want to but we had to. “I am glad you two are not fighting.” Kendall said, looking relieved. “I promise I will explain everything to him tomorrow.” She continued.

“I will explain it to him, Ken. We need to talk anyway. I need your support.” Cate said. That’s my girl. I am so proud of her. She is mature enough to face Felix and thresh out their issues.

“Of course, Barbie. I will be there to help you tomorrow.” Kendall said happily, throwing her arms to hug Cate. I really hope Felix would take the news easily. I can’t deal with another suicidal ex right now. One crazy woman is enough.

“Barbie and Ken. Right. Got it.” Seth chuckled. His phone rang again and he frowned when he saw the caller ID. He glanced at me and I tensed. I don’t want Cate to know what is happening. I signaled him not to mention anything while Cate is around.

“Good night, baby. I love you.” I kissed Cate and gently steered her and Kendall towards her room. “Good night, Kendall.” I need to get rid of them for tonight so that Seth and I can deal with maniacal Julianna.

Seth will try to pacify Julianna so he will head back to the Hamptons tomorrow morning. We decided it is better if she does not see me and steer up whatever feelings she has for me. I also need to see to it that Cate is safe and away from Julianna in case she plans on hurting her to get to me.

I wasn’t able to sleep well last night. The situation has gotten worse. Marie called us from the Hamptons. She and Uncle Rick, Seth’s dad, has heard of the incident. Julianna has trashed Lady M’s place in anger. She was absolutely enraged that I kept my relationship with Cate a secret.

Well, secret or not I think she would have reacted just the same. I didn’t believe in obsessions but damn, I think, this is it. Marie said Julianna reminded her of Glenn Close in ‘Fatal Attraction’. I haven’t watched the movie but if it is in the movies, the acting must have been extreme. Uncle Rick will look into it while my parents are away. I didn’t want to disturb their vacation.

~*~

Kendall was flirting with Seth when I walked in the lounge. “Hey, Kendall. Where’s my girl?” I asked her looking for Cate.

“She is still sleeping. I don’t think she was able to sleep at all last night. She was tossing and turning.” She sadly reported.

I thought of going to Cate now but if she is sleeping, I didn’t want to disturb. I waited a few minutes and when I couldn’t take it anymore, I went to see her. I knocked tentatively on her door. When no one answered, I just opened it.

She wasn’t on the bed. She is sitting in front of her dresser. She turned when she heard my footsteps. “Kendall said you didn’t get to sleep.” The lines under her eyes are darker and more pronounced. She definitely didn’t get to sleep. I held her face with both hands and kissed her. She looks so fragile. “Puffy, what happened? Why can’t you sleep?”

She sighed. “It’s nothing.” She stood up and hugged me.

“Is it Felix?” I was carefully studying her face. She nodded, biting her lip. “Kendall said he will move to Chelsea.”

This is it. She is having a hard time making her decision. Oh my god, please make her choose me. I smiled sadly and pulled her in my arms. I want to just hold her in my arms forever.  I kissed the top of her head. “Hear him out and then make your decision.”

She pulled away from me and looked at me like I was going insane. “I have made my decision a long time ago.” She said. I will not feel secure until she has spoken to him and still decides to come home to me.

“Cate, you felt something for him. You dated him back in France.” Mr. Pretty Boy Blonde seems like a nice guy. I would have felt more confident that Cate would choose me if he was some bad boy. But, no. Felix seems like a younger me, just blonde and maybe even with better temper.  ”I’m giving you time to think now because if you decide to stay with me, I will never let you go.”

I swear if she comes home to me, I will never ever let her go. She hugged me tight and I rubbed her back. Please make her come back to me. I would die if she leaves me again.

I instructed Seth and Andy, Lily’s driver/guard to stay with Cate and Kendall. Felix looks harmless to me but it is better to be safe than sorry. Seth will leave them alone when Felix arrives. Andy will take over then.

~*~

I paced the apartment back and forth. I feel like blah. I feel nervous. What if Cate chooses Felix? Could I do a Julianna? Nah, I will not put her thru crap like that. If she chooses Felix, I will be gracious.

Seth came back a quarter before twelve. He is back early so that means Felix is already with Cate. Mr. Pretty Boy Blonde is wasting no time to get my girl back. I gritted my teeth.

“Relax, dude.” Seth said. “Cate is not into him. Trust me.” I know he is trying to make me feel better. Pretty Boy Blonde is not a big issue but still an issue. “You’re more handsome than him.” He wagged his eyebrow.

“I don’t know, dude. He seems hot, too.” I said, trying to joke my way out this lousy day. “You think he’ll get a leg up today?” Somehow, I feel I am in a competition. I just want to be the one to emerge victorious. Winning the prize is a life and death situation for me. Cate is my life.

“I have already voted in favor of Team Dylan.” Seth said confidently. “…if all else fails, I could always rig the contest or dispose of the competition. Which would you prefer?” Seth really has some zany ideas sometimes.

“I hope it doesn’t come to the part where we need to dispose of the competition. We still need to think where to bury the body. ” I said, stopping myself from thinking murderous thoughts. I will be a gracious, freakin’ loser for Cate’s peace of mind. I will not be as mad as Julianna is right now.

~*~

Seth and I were having lunch when his phone rang. Uncle Rick wants us back in the Hamptons as soon as possible. He has arranged a meeting with the Marquardts seeing as Julianna is acting irrationally. We need to explain what happened.

Julianna is also threatening to kill herself if I don’t get back with her. Like hell I would. But I will meet with her and her family just to shut them up. I don’t owe them any explanation. Julianna and I are over a long time ago. She does not have any right to act like I cheated on her with Cate. Seth is also furious not just with Julianna but with the Marquardts. They were acting like they own us.

I don’t want to leave Cate alone here. Kendall, Andy and Mindy will be with her but I will not have any peace of mind knowing that I am not around her. I couldn’t leave Seth here with her since he is also wanted in the Hamptons. I called Derek. He will come home from Chicago to stay with Cate on Thursday. He will arrive in the early afternoon at the most. I would have wanted him with Cate earlier but early afternoon would do. That’s all set. My brother will look after Cate while I fix my mess.

I called Cate to inform her I will go home earlier and without her. “Hey Cranky, miss me?” She said as soon as she picked up. Despite all the awful things I have to deal with right now, I can’t help but smile. My heart just leapt with happiness at the sound of her voice.

“Yeah. I do. I’ll give you the chance to miss me too. Baby, I need to go back to the Hamptons…” I hate to leave her especially since Felix is around. He could take her away from me anytime.

“Why? I’ll go with you.” She said suddenly. Uh-oh. I don’t want her anywhere near the Hamptons in case Julianna runs amuck.

“I am needed at the Hamptons, Cate. It is better if you stay here in the city with Kendall. I will be back on Friday morning to be with you before she leaves.”  I said trying to convince her. OK, I am not sure I’ll make it back on Friday. I hope I could. Even then, at least Derek will be there to keep her out of harm’s way.  “Baby, are you listening?” I had to ask again because she didn’t say anything.

“Yes, I am listening.” She didn’t sound too happy. Please make her understand I have to do this even if she doesn’t know what I have to do. “I’m going to miss you, Cranky.” I could picture her smiling now.

“I’m going to miss you too, baby. I’ll see you Friday. Behave.” I am feeling hopeful that I will be able to see her again on Friday or even sooner. I am also crossing my fingers that she would still be mine when I get back.

~*~

I drove with Seth back to the Hamptons. We reached home in the early afternoon. I was immediately greeted by a worried looking Jessie at the front door. She has an overnight bag with her. “Rick needs you next door. Be careful with Julianna.” She was addressing me and Seth.  Jessie will spend two nights at her sister’s place and will be back on Friday afternoon.

When we went to Seth’s house, we found out that Uncle Rick sent Marie and the little girls to Montauk. It is that bad. I immediately phoned the doorman and Andy to ensure no one could come up to the apartment where only Cate and Kendall are staying. I am now worried sick. What if Julianna gets someone to go after Cate? I have watched too many crime series to know it could happen.

“How bad is it?” Seth asked his Dad. Uncle Rick related that Julianna found out about me and Cate last week. She saw us watching a concert. She let her anger simmer for a few days, investigating further. I am amazed that the fact that she saw me kissing Cate in front of Seth didn’t hit her. Or maybe, she was in denial. Just like she can’t believe that we have broken up a long time ago.

A few nights ago, Julianna got drunk and trashed Lady M’s mansion when the couple was out. That was when Lady M asked what was wrong with her. Julianna wouldn’t say anything and just went drinking again. She then took some pills along with it. Lady M found her slumped in her bedroom floor, unconscious. Lord Marquardt got worried and thought we hurt his niece. Uncle Rick decided to call us back here to defend ourselves.

The Marquardt couple is now on a suicide watch. Julianna has tried to end her life a couple of times before. She always does it when she couldn’t get what she wants. Well, they better watch her closely. She will never get me back.

Uncle Rick tried calling the Marquardts to settle this tonight but no one is picking up. They feel they are so high above everyone. “You better stay here tonight, Dylan. We’ll deal with this in the morning.”

I tried to sleep but sleep would not come. I keep thinking about Cate, wondering how she is doing. Since I arrived at the Hamptons, this will be the first night we will not sleep under the same roof. Except for the night I spent alone at the lake house while I was sulking. I sent her an SMS to say good night. I decided against calling her because I know that once I hear her voice I will go running back to her.

~*~ 

At the breakfast table, I was trying my best not to fall on my face. I didn’t get any sleep at all. I was waiting a few more minutes to call Cate in case she is still sleeping. I didn’t want to disturb her. Seth has his game face on. He is absolutely pissed with the Marquardts and is ready to have a showdown with them later this morning. I don’t care how this goes down. I just want Julianna and her antics out of the way and out of my life.

Seth’s phone rang. He gave me a worried look and showed me the caller ID. Cate is calling him. Why didn’t she call me? If something happened, surely she would call me and not Seth. I checked my phone to see if I missed any call from her. There was none.

 “Hey, Cate. You just made my day. I’m fine, beautiful. How are you doing?” I heard Seth say. “Aww, baby I miss you too.” He winked at me as he said it. I wanted to bash his head with the coffee mug. He shouldn’t even be pretending to hit on my girl if I am in a bad mood. He looked at me again but his expression has changed. Cate must have said something that worried him a little.

“What? No.” He denied vehemently.  He was vigorously shaking his head to stress his point. “Chillax, Cate. Dylan will pick you up tomorrow. Just enjoy your day with Kendall and Mr. Blondie. I didn’t know you and Dylan had a thing for blondes.” He laughed. He was talking about our respective exes Felix and Julianna being blondes. I glared at him and signaled him to end the call. I don’t want Cate to get any ideas about what is going on.

I sent her a good morning message after she hang up the phone with Seth. I also said ‘I love you’ and that I will be back on Friday to drive her back to the Hamptons. She replied with ‘couldn’t wait to see you’. She didn’t say ‘I love you’ back.

Could this day get any crappier? I felt my anger rising again. I don’t deserve what Julianna and the Marquardts are putting me thru. This is all an act. I should not have been dragged into this. I should have been with Cate at this moment.

~*~ 

Uncle Rick drove for me and Seth. They have set the meeting at the country club after lunch. Only Lord Marquardt showed up. Lady M and Julianna are feigning sickness. I don’t really care if they don’t show up. I don’t even want to see them.

Seth and I got to explain our side of the story. We told him how Cate and Seth pretended to be together to fend off Lady M’s advances towards Seth. I am glad he acknowledged his wife’s indiscretions. He also believed Seth when he told him the affair is long over.

Uncle Rick gave Lord M a good lecture in law plus some threats. We believe he will reign in the women in his family after that. He said he is planning to relocate Julianna back to England to help her forget. I really hope that pushes thru. Seth and I will be the happiest people once the Marquardts are out of New York.

We were still discussing the issue when Lord M received a phone call. He went pale and he got up quickly.

“What’s the matter, Lord Marquardt?” Uncle Rick asked, a little confused. He was in the middle of explaining the repercussions of Lady M’s actions.

“That was my staff. Julianna just shot my wife.” He said almost inaudibly. He is on the phone probably calling his driver.

We all just gaped at his announcement. Why would Julianna do that? Has she totally lost it? Uncle Rick offered to drive with him to the hospital. Seth and I followed in Uncle Rick’s car. We just drove in silence, still unable to wrap our minds around this latest development.

We reached the hospital at the same time that Lady M is being wheeled in. We didn’t see her but Lord M was running with the medics so it must have been her. Seth and I decided to stay out of the hospital and wait at the entrance.

“Why?” Seth asked. He did not particularly direct the question at me. I shrugged. We heard Julianna has done some things but we didn’t expect it to be like this. “What if she didn’t intend to shoot her aunt? What if it was meant for us?” He asked looking at me this time, horrified.

I closed my eyes. I feel so tired with all that is happening. I hope she did not intend to shoot anyone. That what happened is just an accident. “Where is Julianna? Is she still out there?” I heard Seth ask someone.

I opened my eyes to find him asking an aide of Lord Marquardt. “We are keeping her at the villa until the police pick her up for questioning. Don’t worry. She will not be able to hurt anyone.” The aide answered.

The police have arrived at the hospital to start the investigation. Uncle Rick is still with Lord M and we didn’t want to leave him alone. It was our mess after all. If we didn’t get involved with Lady M and Julianna, we wouldn’t be here.

I took out my phone to send a message to Cate. I asked her how she is doing and to take care while I am away. I couldn’t call her right now. I might say the wrong things and make her worry. I couldn’t lie to her either. I have decided to keep her in the dark rather that make some story out. I will tell her what happened when everything is fixed.

The sky has darkened considerably since we arrived. It is only about 5 o’clock in the afternoon but it looks like much later than that. It will most definitely rain. A thunderstorm in the summer after a shooting accident. Just great. I shook my head, unable to believe this day is happening.

Uncle Rick emerged from the hospital with news that Lady M will be fine. She was shot in the abdomen while trying to grapple with Julia, who pointed a gun towards herself. Again, Julianna has done this before when she got depressed after a breakup.

I can’t help but raise an eyebrow. We broke up a year ago. Why is she reacting like this only now? Uncle Rick said Lord Marquardt will deal with Julianna. Seth and I are off the hook. He has acknowledged that his niece has some problems to deal with.

“We better go before the rain pours.” Uncle Rick said, looking up at the dark sky. We all piled in the car and cautiously drove home. The downpour is really heavy. We are unable to see any vehicle near us at all.

I would have wanted to wait the downpour out in Seth’s house but I got worried about my house. Jessie is not home. I knew she left yesterday to stay in her sister’s place for the night. There might be an open window and soak whatever important stuff there is. From Seth’s bedroom window, I could also see that the porch lights did not automatically turn on like it is supposed to.

I jogged towards the villa. The umbrella I borrowed did not help at all. I am soaked to the bone. I gritted my teeth in the cold. Some summer, I cursed under my breath.

It is taking me a long time to unlock the door. It is really dark and I couldn’t get my freaking key in the lock.  When I finally got to open it, I slowly stepped in and reached for the switch.

No light came on and I felt something hit me in the back of my head. I blacked out.

~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~

There you go...lover boy's POV

Surprisingly, I wrote 14 pages on word document for Dylan's POV. That is definitely faster than I would write Cate's..Hmmm..I think I am turning into a man...sigh.. Think like a man  xD

 Can I get VOTES???!!!  or COMMENTS???  PRETTY PLEASE  :))

© 2012 by urbanstargazer

 All rights reserved. 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.5K 72 23
In life things don't always go the way planned love is never real people lie and the past will always come back to bite you in the ass especially wh...
27.5K 1.5K 53
(On adultfictions reading list) Can you fall in love with the same person twice? "I can't be with you, I just can't," she said turning away. "Why not...
42K 3.1K 17
Him : it's was just a revenge and i don't have ever loved you one more thing forget everything . Her : What was my mistake, why did you do this to m...