The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

61 - Quandary

6K 462 114
By MayaR-31

(Elissa's PoV)

I immediately recognise Cosmos's aura. It is the first time that he has visited my dreams since that vision. Part of me wants to ignore him, while the other part is seething with anger and wants to confront him.

I'm still deciding when his voice rings out, "Elissa, you need to leave Alfheimr."

Anger is victorious; I throw back the covers and leap up to face him.

"Need!" My voice holds an edge of menace. "Why should I listen to you? How many lives must you destroy? I hold you at least partially responsible for my mother's death. Then you send the Light away and the whole of Elysium suffers."

"I know that I failed in life. I am trying to make amends in death." He slumps, a defeated man, my words cutting him as effectively as any blade.

I feel a bit bad, but push as I have the advantage, "Where is the Light?"

"You will find the Light when the time is right."

The ground rumbles beneath our feet. "I am fed up with your evasions! Where is the Light?"

He gives a little smile, which just infuriates me more. Blue electricity sparks across my skin. "You find this amusing?"

He holds up an appeasing hand. "No, it is just that your powers are starting to manifest and it is a sight to behold. I cannot tell you how to find the Light, only guide you on the right path."

I calm, though still eye him with suspicion. He takes this as a sign to continue. "I thought that you would be protected at Alfheimr. I admit I underestimated my son's cunning. He was not supposed to witness what he did and now he will be even more determined to capture you, though he will not so easily trick Celestia a second time. I fear that if we do not act soon then she will have you secured tightly within the White Palace."

I flinch. This place already feels a little too much like a cage for my liking and I protest, "But I have Alex guarding me."

"The light elves are always ruled by a queen. Celestia has borne only sons. If she is unable to produce an heir herself then you, as her direct descendant, might bear the next queen. I have no doubt that Celestia will do everything in her powers to secure you in a union with a light elven noble."

"W-what about Aren?" My voice quavers.

"An impossibility if you remain here." After allowing that to sink in, Cosmos continues. "I am also deeply troubled by Morpheus's personal interest in you."

Guiltily, I recall that kiss. For a moment I had taken all leave of sense and had responded to the siren's call. He has not tried anything in the intervening days, barely even noticed my presence, so I'm convinced that he was just messing with my head. "What do you mean?"

"Initially I thought he was taking a similar approach to Celestia and would try to secure you in a union with a dark elven noble. However, he appears to be courting you for himself."

I scoff, "That is ridiculous. He's my ..." I stop to work it out. "My great uncle?"

"Elissa." He pats my shoulder in a fatherly way. "You are of royal blood. You may have the appearance of a light elf, but the dark elven blood within you is exceptionally powerful. Furthermore you are..." His cheeks colour slightly and he clears his throat before continuing, "... highly fertile. Many will seek your hand. It would be an unconventional union, although not without precedent. I advise that you do not allow yourself to be alone with Morpheus."

Yeah well, that might be easier said than done.

"I have a plan. Leave Alfheimr under the cover of night. There is a tributary not far from the Eastern Gate. If you can make your way there, then the nymphs can carry you away. Send your servant on ahead to secure a horse for you."

"Servant? Do you mean Alex?"

"NO! On no account inform Alex. I mean the wood elf."

My voice takes on a dangerous edge. "Darish is my friend and I don't want to endanger him."

"Elissa, please at least enquire whether he will assist you."

.......

Ever since my true identity was uncovered, there have been no cosy dinners for father and me. Instead we have had to dine at the high table. I guess it's a small mercy that we sit on the queen's side of the table.

Tonight is no exception and I'm sat next to some light elven lord visiting Alfheimr. He keeps trying to engage me in conversation, however, I'm not really in the mood for being sociable.

All day I have been subdued, Cosmos's council gnawing away at me. I glance across the table to Morpheus. I don't think that he has looked my way once this evening. He is a complete enigma to me.

As if feeling the weight of my stare, the king turns away from my cousin and his silver gaze swings to me. Immediately I look away, but not before seeing a sly smile creep across his face.

As soon as dinner is over, my father insists that we leave and not linger over drinks as is customary. The queen seems disappointed and belatedly I wonder if my dinner partner is one of her schemes.

As soon as we get back, I'm sent off to bed, however, I can't sleep as my mind a still whirring away. I don't like Cosmos's plan, for it means abandoning my father. I am growing to really care for him and want him to be happy. He has already lost the love of his life, my mother and me leaving would hurt him.

Then there is Darish. If he helps me escape then this could put him in real danger. I don't want him to suffer the wrath of either the queen or the king.

However, it feels like this place is slowly suffocating me and changing me in ways that I don't like. I can't ignore the burgeoning power growing within me; one which I can't control.

Furthermore, I want to be with Aren and I'm scared that if I stay here, Celestia will try to force me into a marriage of her choosing. Sometimes I miss the days when I was a nobody and not subject to royal politics.

Eventually, I must have fallen asleep because I awake standing beside Aren's bed. My heart flutters. He looks so peaceful in sleep. I gently stroke a messy strand of hair from his face and those gorgeous blue eyes flicker open.

An infectious grin spreads across his face. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me onto the bed. Giggling, my worries melt away, his presence is like a balm to my troubled soul and his kisses even better.

He breaks away, his eyes amber with passion. As we lay there, he brushes his knuckles tenderly across my cheek. I love him so much. I wish we could be together, but fate seems to be conspiring against us.

A frown crinkles Aren's brow. "What troubles you, my love?"

"Cosmos says that I have to leave Alfheimr."

"Why? I thought it was the perfect place to keep you safe from the High King."

"Well..!" I falter. What can I tell him? "There are other dangers here and the queen may not sanction our union," I finally confess.

A low growl rumbles in his chest.

"That is one of the reasons that I want to leave," I try to reassure him.

"So you are coming home to me?" His face is so filled with hope that it sickens me to have to dash it.

Lowering my eyes, I shake my head. "Cosmos wants me to travel east."

He rakes at his hair. "What if he is just leading you into a trap?"

I want to make him happy, but going back to Arcadia will just put them all back in danger and mean having to run the gauntlet of Corinth once again. "Aren, I have to trust him."

"Do you even want to be with me?"

"Of course I do. I did not ask for this fate." I touch his arm, but he shakes it off.

Amber swirls into the blue of his irises, although given the hard lines of his face it is likely an indication of anger now.

"I do not know if I can keep doing this."

His words make my heart clench painfully. A fierce wind blows through the room and my vision blurs under a film of tears.

"Elissa!"

I blink and look up into Darish's soulful eyes. I'm back in Alfheimr. He pulls me close and my tears dampen his shirt.

He murmurs soothingly, "Shh. It was just a dream. You are safe now."

Pulling away, I shake my head. "It is all such a mess!" I meant the situation, but glancing around the room, it looks as if a hurricane has just blown through.

Darish gives a wry smile and pushes a cup a herbal tea into my hand. "Tell me your woes."

My heart patters anxiously and I trace a finger over the dragon on my cup. "I don't know what to do. I am getting pulled in different directions. Cosmos wants me to leave. If I do I will hurt father and if I stay I risk getting forced into being a broodmare. Aren wants me to go back to Arcadia, but that would endanger him. Now I fear that I am too much hard work for him."

"Elissa, you ignored Cosmos once before and ended up in Corinth." Guilt and determination war in his features. "I failed you then. I will not fail you again. Tell me what you want of me and I will do it."

"But what will happen to you?" I shudder.

"I care not for myself." He places a hand over mine.

The door opens and Alex walks in. Darish whips away his hand and hurries from the room, while Alex stands there like a sentry. There is a look of mild disapproval on her face, although she doesn't pass comment.

I feel the need to explain. "He's my friend. One can be friends without any ..." I waggle a hand, struggling to find the right word and settle on, "... inappropriateness."

Alex gives a little smile. "Indeed, your Highness. I will await you in the room of contemplation."

I groan and get ready very slowly, trying to put off a training session with Alex. My mood is certainly not improved an hour later when once again I get hit by the flat of Alex's blade. Ugh, another bruise.

"Come on, princess. Concentrate," Alex urges.

"I've had enough," I assert.

Ignoring my remark, Alex swings the blade up, pointing the tip towards me. "Do you think an enemy would be so lenient?"

I stare at the sword with loathing, my temper bubbles over and the blade vibrates. Alex's biceps quiver with effort at trying to hold it, but the sword is forced to the floor by my will.

I am rewarded with a second smile. What is the world coming to?

Alex bows respectfully. "Your greatest weapon is not one made by steel but your own magic. Learn how to wield it and it will serve you better than any sword."

..........

The song for this chapter is Hostage by Nothing but Thieves - I saw them at a festival and they were amazing - the sea of mud less so.🌂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 6K 27
The day that changed my life was the day I ran from it all and made the hardest decision of my life. But I had too, I never got to chose as I was cho...
1K 309 23
UPDATIONS: Completed NOTE: Story is in journal format "And by prophecy shall it be revealed... Two made by the bond of the halfling's blood... Shall...
105K 1.4K 12
Only the first 10 chapters are open.. NOW ON AMAZON! PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SHOW ME SOME LOVE! COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT EACH AND EVE...
21.4K 928 39
Book 1 of the Enchanted Love Series A realm where magic exists and Fae, Shifters, and other supernaturals live together. The realm is divided into la...