Extra Ordinary

By oeurwari

The story of an ordinary girl's encounter with an extraordinary hero and what trials and tribulations come af... More

Chapter One - 'Groceries At 8 & Getting Kidnapped- Same Thing'
Chapter Two - 'You're Bloody And Wounded, You're Fine'
Chapter Three - 'Ghoulish'
Chapter Four - 'This Is A Good Milkshake'
Chapter Five - 'Like From Pokemon?'
Chapter Six - 'Which Sweetheart?'
Chapter Seven - 'Walking, Teleporting- Same Thing.'
Chapter Eight - 'I Picture A Dude In Spandex'
Chapter Nine - 'That Doesn't Sound Right...'
Chapter Ten - 'Can't Mind My Own Business, Clearly'
Chapter Eleven - 'Emergency'
Chapter Twelve - 'Thanks For Asking'
Chapter Thirteen - 'Silent Showdown'
Chapter Fourteen - 'My Bad'
Chapter Fifteen - 'Did I Become Prettier?'
Chapter Sixteen - 'Thugs' Doing'
Chapter Seventeen - 'That's Not Vague At All'
Chapter Eighteen - 'Scars Don't Go Away'
Chapter Nineteen - 'I Sound Like George'
Chapter Twenty - 'I'd Prefer It If You Were A Dog Person'
Chapter Twenty-One - 'We've Bonded Over Pain'
Chapter Twenty-Two - 'You Could Give The Devil Chills'
Chapter Twenty-Three - 'Weaselled Her Way In'
Chapter Twenty-Four - 'A Big Heart'
Chapter Twenty-Five - 'The Liv Limit'
Chapter Twenty-Six - 'Weird Trash Talker'
Chapter Twenty-Seven - 'Everything Sucks'
Chapter Twenty-Eight - 'Death By Brownie'
Chapter Twenty-Nine - 'You Shed Like Crazy.'
Chapter Thirty - 'Delivery Girl- Psych's Sidekick!'
Chapter Thirty-One - 'The Sweetest Bloody Angel They've Ever Met'
Chapter Thirty-Two - 'A Hellbent Demon'
Chapter Thirty-Four - 'Do I Have To Beat Someone Up?'
Chapter Thirty-Five - 'I'll Kick You In The Shin'
Chapter Thirty-Six - 'The Peculiar Case Of Three Heroes'
Chapter Thirty-Seven - 'Is That Blood?'
Chapter Thirty-Eight - 'I've Seen Her Without Bangs'
Chapter Thirty-Nine - 'A Cat's Choice'
Chapter Forty - 'Your Number Two Hero'
Q&A +

Chapter Thirty-Three - 'A Certain Kind Of Dumb Luck'

7.6K 461 246
By oeurwari

[ A/N: Sorry this chapter came out later than usual! It wasn't initially apart of the plan but it ended up as the longest chapter I've written (seriously, I even had to cut out stuff)... So I hope it makes up for the delay! ]

-

It's amazing how much mess a bunch of sophisticated looking adults can leave when they have a little bit of wine in them. So many carpet stains... it looks like blood spill. At least if it were, it would've been more of an interesting night. Elizabeth had stressed about the carpet's state for the last two days since the party and even after making me pour an unsafe amount stain removers and scrub until my arms were sore, they all still remained in all it's glory.

I'm pretty sure the remaining toxic smell of the stain removers are getting to me because I've been harbouring a horrible headache and heartache for the last two days, though I know the latter is entirely my own fault, the ache runs so deep it almost feels physical.

Low and behold, I'm still feeling miffed about the pregnancy, even more so after learning they'd been 'trying' for the baby for months now- and keeping me in the complete dark.

I suppose there's some upsides to it, the fact that it makes me feel a little bit better knowing my dad's not entirely oblivious to my obvious bitterness. I've noticed he's more wary of my presence than usual and typically has a conflicted expression etched across his ageing features, too. But feeling satisfied with just that is a little saddening, so it depresses me even more that he can't even try to talk to me.

I'm staring at the patch of faded red on the carpet at my feet when my phone starts ringing. I'm quite delighted at the name that pops up and I answer it gladly, putting it speaker. "Grandma!"

"Good morning, Livvy!" She greeted warmly. Hearing her voice brought me a strange amount of relief, though I'm not quite sure why besides the usual fact that I always miss her. Maybe all the pregnancy stuff that's happening is making me feel more attached to the only woman who treats me like a daughter.

"That's debatable." I said lightly, leaning back into the couch. "What's the occasion?" I asked her, Grandma was a busy, working lady, so she didn't typically call out of the blue. Her visit a while ago is still a little hard to believe.

"How's my favourite and only granddaughter feeling now that the special day is coming up soon?" She cooed.

I frowned, "I'm surprised you heard about the pregnancy." I admitted, considering my dad no longer has any true relation to her- nor any reason to talk to her.

"I beg your pardon young lady?" she shrieked, making me flinch away from the phone, I can't tell if she's happy or angry- I just figure she now thinks I'm the pregnant one, confirming that she doesn't know about Elizabeth.

I began laughing, "My bad. I'm not the pregnant one, Elizabeth is."

"Elizabeth is pregnant?" Grandma said incredulously, "Oh dear..."

"So what special day were you talking about Grandma?" I asked, trying to divert the path of conversation that demanded to be talked about. The fact of the matter was that I just didn't have the proper mindset to talk maturely about the pregnancy I'm irrationally sour about. My thoughts are in disarray and my feelings are all over the place- safe to say I probably won't be ready to talk about it for the following few months of maternity Elizabeth had left.

Grandma caught on quickly to my silent request, "Your upcoming birthday of course! Don't tell me you forgot? You love birthdays!" she said animatedly as if the topic a moment ago had never came up. I love her.

I smiled sheepishly in realisation, "I totally forgot. So it's already December, huh?" I murmured, finding myself a little disheartened. She was right, I loved birthdays, I especially loved mine- so the fact that I forgot was strange considering I'd make it a big deal every time. Hating being called every type of synonym to childish makes the excitement of getting older a giving.

"Indeed, this year went by rather quickly." she mused, "You sound disappointed, dear."

"Tyler's going to be leaving." I said numbly, "But you knew that, didn't you?"

She sighed, "Livvy..."

"Why did you..." I began to accuse, only for my voice to break horribly. "I don't understand..."

There's a long, dreadful silence on the other line before she finally responds, "Tyler's..." she began hesitantly, "Tyler's wanted this for a while. Brought it up himself- even surprised me."

I narrowed my eyes at the phone incredulously, "He brought it up? Tyler told me you asked." I said, my thoughts not in disarray as I tried to remember everything Tyler's said.

But I can't seem to remember him telling me this.

People can lie, people lie all the time. I'd know.

But the thought of Tyler of all people was hard to process. Even if he'd lied for my sake.

Good liars have the worst lies.

"Oh dear, I suppose the cat's out of the bag now. We knew it'd break your heart so I suggested..."

So she suggested to put the blame on her? It all sounds so ridiculous that I begin to laugh deliriously- as if the fumes has intoxicated me in more ways than one.

"Has he told you where he's decided to move?" she asked softly, "If I recall correctly, he mentioned an interest in New York."

I was barely grasping the fact that it'd been Tyler all along, that Tyler had lied merely to lessen the blow for me; now hearing the place he had decided to leave for was numbing. 

"I thought... what?"

"He never did seem the type to stay grounded." she said without catering to my confusion, "You can't stay mad forever, Livvy." she continued, her gentle words coaxing me- also serving as a cold slap in the face. "I'm sure you understand his reasons- you'll just have to learn to accept them, fast."

Tyler, you idiot.

"I...know." I said, managing a smile. "For now...can we talk about something else?" I asked after I recollect my thoughts.

"All right dear, how have you been lately? How are the cardiology consults?"

I'd actually rather talk about Tyler leaving; but I bite my tongue, I've done enough tantrums to last all month. "I'm fine. And I don't really have to go to them regularly." I told her tersely. I'm pretty sure I've blanked at every consultation, the fact of the matter was that I was going to be fine.

"I'm glad you're fine." She said grimly.

"Anyway, anything new with you?" I asked her.

"Not particularly, no." She said, then she gasped, as if suddenly remembering something, "Oh! Brian is having his wedding soon. I'm quite excited."

I laughed- happy to hear of him again, "Tell him I said hi and give him my congrats, Grandma." I requested.

"I certainly will." She said cheerily, "What about you, got anything coming up? What about for your birthday soon?"

"I... don't think I'll do anything. I'm pretty sick of parties right now." I admitted sheepishly, "Maybe I'll just invite Tyler over."

"That sounds lovely. Any plans for today?"

"I have a date soon." I told her, trying to suppress a goofy smile.

Grandma gasped, "A date? With who? Is it that friend of yours who couldn't handle spice? What's his name?" She asked, an avalanche of questions overwhelming me.

"It's not Ash. It's actually his older brother, Reece." I told her, laughing, "And I really like him."

"I'm so thrilled to hear that. I hope I'll get to meet him one day soon!" She awed, "What's he like?"

I looked at my palm, recalling the night I properly met him, which was at the diner with Tyler, Kimmy and Ash months ago- time really does fly. "Unfiltered." Was the first word that managed to come out, "Surprising, sarcastic, scarily perceptive, sometimes crude..." I listed off, feeling my cheeks warm.

"Most of them sound like flaws." She commented heartily, "He sounds very interesting. I suppose that as long as treats you well, I could love him too."

"It's way to early to be saying that Grandma." I laughed.

"But if he hurts you I'll come back and beat him up." Grandma continued seriously, so seriously that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. And as much as I'd like to see her to come back, I'm sure she won't be anytime soon under those circumstances.

"I love you." I said just as seriously.

"I love you more." Grandma replied without question.

I laughed softly, "You have no idea."

She chuckled, "You know I could go on forever. So for now, Happy early birthday, Livvy."

"Thank you." I said before begrudgingly ending the call. I miss her voice already.

I looked up to find Elizabeth standing at the end of the stairs, looking at me curiously. "Eavesdropping?" I guessed flatly.

She didn't deny it, shrugging. "When's your birthday?"

I narrowed my eyes, "Saturday." I said, "Why?"

She cracked a wicked smile, "You'll be a year overdue for moving out." She said honestly, "You can't live under this roof forever."

Overdue? Am I a loaf of bread to her? I clenched my jaw, watching her stroke her flat stomach. I know what she's doing, and it's working because she's right and I have no idea how to respond to that. "Do I look like Julia right now?" I found myself asking, meeting her eyes.

Her beady eyes widened as she processed what I'd just said, "What?"

"Do you hate me because I'm horrible or because I look like your sister? Is it both?" I asked, my voice strained. I could start to feel some type of heavy emotion emulating from her, and though it's uncomfortable, I think it's a necessary conversation we need to have.

She slowly approached me, and I somehow feel both like prey and predator. "Who told you about her?" She asked, her voice low and her eyes unfocused as she stopped to stand two feet away from me. Two feet too close for comfort.

My throat felt dry, "Your mum."

Elizabeth gritted her teeth, "I told you to stay away from her." She said coldly, practically seething.

"She approached me." I said evenly, "I'm sorry if I'm overstepping, but if you really do have that bias towards me, I feel like I should know."

"Did she tell you how she died?" She asked instead, she sounded so unlike herself, so vulnerable and broken. It was strange and frankly uncomfortable to see.

I nodded, watching her closely, "Alcohol poisoning." I said.

"Suicide." She corrected, staring at me just as intently- but it doesn't really feel like she's looking at me. "So that's what she's telling everyone, huh?" She muttered sourly.

"My condolences." I said sincerely, no one deserved that.

"Whatever." She sniggered, brushing it off, "What else did my mother tell you?"

"That I look like her." I said firmly, "Do I look like her?"

"You do." She said without hesitation. "Especially when you're being a brat."

I'm starting to understand something. "Do you pick fights with me just to see her again?" I blurted, cringing as soon as I said it. I wait for her to begin to lash out at me and deny it. But seconds go by until I realise she won't.

"I don't care if you hate me as I am, as Olivia." I finally said, "But I'm not Julia."

Elizabeth looks like I've just slapped her, she also looks like she's about to cry. "I'm sorry." She whispered, her voice barely audible.

Something in me seemed to crack, like the gates of a dam, the hollow feeling I've been harbouring in for a long time seemed to shatter and begin to overwhelm me with feelings I've been holding back. She's sorry? "What for? Treating me like shit for being born the way I am? Keeping important information from me? Knowingly creating a rift between my dad and I? Neglecting me as your daughter? What are you apologising for?" I asked steadily, though my heartbeats are erratic.

Tears cascade down Elizabeth's cheeks, and I'm not sorry that I don't feel a single thing for them. "Daughter?" She echoed, lips barely moving, voice barely audible.

"Stings when you hear it that way, doesn't it?" I said quietly, "I know I'm a brat, but do you know you're a bitch?"

Elizabeth flinched.

"We're no better than each other, but at least I'm trying." I muttered, getting up from the couch and looking over at the clock on the wall. Two hours. I turned on my heels, brushed past the stricken Elizabeth and headed for the stairs- I have a bloody date to prepare for.

When I reached my room, I collapsed onto my bed and pulled out my phone to call Tyler. He answered quickly, "Hey." I said into the phone, feeling the adrenaline I had moments ago die down. I didn't want to think about what just happened.

"Hey Liv!" Tyler greeted happily, "Everything okay, dude?"

I inhaled deeply, "Yeah. Everything's okay."

Tyler laughed, "You sound very convincing. Still hung up on Elizabeth's pregnancy?" He asked. Tyler was the first person I told once I learnt about it, so he also knew my feelings towards it, too.

"Actually, I don't really care about that right now." I said honestly, "You know how I told you I have a date with Reece today?"

"Yeah, I'm still struggling to wrap my head around it." He said, "What about it? Are you having second thoughts? I thought you liked him."

I laughed sheepishly, putting my phone on speaker and getting up to rifle through my draws. "I do like him. I just don't know what to wear." I admitted, "This is the kind of stuff you need to help me with, ya know?"

Tyler snorted, "Why don't you call Chrissy?"

"Because she has classes and besides, you're my best friend." I said.

"Fair enough. Why don't you just wear a dress or something? That's usually what you wear for this stuff, right? You've been on dates before, why're you freaking out?" Tyler said, "Do you know where you're going at least?"

"No. That's the problem."

"Hey, do you still have that cat sweater I got you?" He suddenly asked.

I guffawed, going over to my closet and quickly finding the colourful sweater he spoke of. "Are you suggesting to repel him with it?" I joked, pulling it off the hanger and staring at the gift Tyler had gotten me two years ago. It was a running gag for Tyler to get me cat based clothing for my birthday, safe to say I had an impressive collection of feline faced shirts and such. The sweater was a bright red with an overwhelmingly huge imprint of a generic cat's face on the front and back.

"If he can be repelled by an ugly sweater then he doesn't deserve you. Besides, it's Reece we're talking about." Tyler said, chuckling. "That guy is unfazed by everything."

I grinned, slipping it over my shirt, "I'm convinced. I'll wear it. You're the best, Ty!"

"I know. Have fun, Liv."

After deciding on my clothes, all I had to do now was kill about an hour and a half. I'm trying to tame my bangs when I hear my bedroom door creak open.

Elizabeth is standing at the door, shifting weight on her feet uncomfortably. "I'm... going to a hair salon and I'll probably stop at the grocery store after, do you want anything?" She asked hesitantly, when her finally eyes meet mine, I notice they're red.

I get up, "Actually, could I tag along?" I found myself asking. Elizabeth narrowed her eyes at me- taken aback by my casual response- probably expecting the same aggression I delivered not too long ago. "I need to get my bangs trimmed." I said.

She nodded stiffly and I followed her out, grabbing my purse and phone. We don't talk at all on the way there and we end up at the hair salon that's quite close by, the one with the same alleyway where I first met Super Psych. I wonder what he's up to.

After an hour, my bangs are trimmed and Elizabeth's darkened roots now match the rest of her blonde hair. She pays for me without a word and it's when we reach the car again that I finally break the weird silence, "Could you drop me off somewhere?" I asked, my voice making her jump in her seat.

"Where?" She asked, recollecting herself.

"Same place you picked me up on Halloween." I said, buckling my seatbelt.

Elizabeth nodded silently and started the car. "I'm sorry I called you a bitch." I murmured, closing my eyes and leaning back against the headrest, "But that's the only thing I regret saying." I added after a moment.

"You were right." She finally said.

I half smiled, "Yeah, but I still shouldn't have said it."

"Seems like I really ended up being the stereotypical stepmother." She laughed bitterly.

"Yeah."

There's a long stretch of silence for the next few moments until she speaks up again, "I'm sorry I wasn't... the mother I was supposed to be-"

"If I had never said what I did, would you have never realised? Would you have just continued?" I asked, cutting her off.

She sighed, "Yeah."

I laughed, opening my eyes to find that we've arrived. "I'm not asking for you to start treating me like your daughter or anything, I know its not what-"

"I could." She said firmly, looking over at me seriously. It's unnerving to see her fierceness placed into attempted kindness.

I smiled sadly and opened the door, "You could. But we both know it's not what we really want in each other." I said, flashing a smile, "Oh, and you have lipstick on your teeth."

Before she could respond, I shut the door and made my way to Reece's and Ash's residence, giving the door a few raps only to shortly come face to face with Ash. A knowing grin made it's way onto his youthful face, "Hey you." he chuckled, letting me in. "Don't tell me he made you get here yourself?" he accused lightly, probably in the know from Kimmy.

I laughed sheepishly, "Nah, he doesn't know I'm here." I said, heading into the lounge room to find Kimmy snacking on cereal straight out of the box. When she saw me she jumped up, startling Cyber who was occupied with chewing an old shoe. I couldn't tell who looked more thrilled to see me, their excitement warmed my heart.

Cyber barked, running up to me and practically tackling me. "Hey boy!" I cooed, "Good to see you." I stroked his head and looked up at Kimmy, "Good to see you too!" I laughed.

She grinned, "Here to pick up the princess?"

I shrugged, letting Cyber nibble my fingers as I crouched into a sitting position on the floor. "Didn't really think it through, kind of thought Reece would answer, but this is actually better- I'm going to try and surprise him." I said cheekily.

Ash scoffed, sitting down beside Kimmy and picking up a pen from the messy coffee table littered with papers, "Good luck with that."

"What's the paperwork?" I asked curiously.

"Oh! We were planning on telling you and Tyler right after- Ash will start living on campus next week!" Kimmy answered for him giddily, throwing up her cereal in celebration. Ash smiled at me, unbothered by the pool of sugary goodness Kimmy had created beside him, "Yeah, that." he said nonchalantly, but I could see some sort of weight lifted off his shoulders, he held himself in a different way.

I'm really happy for you, Ash.

I smiled at the two of them, "That's great! How'd you manage to convince your parents?"

"He used my method. Nagging." Kimmy said proudly, Ash nodded sheepishly.

"Is that what you're wearing?" Ash asked in efforts to change the topic. I looked down at my cat sweater and back up at my friends, smiling goofily, "Yep! He didn't give me any context so..." I said, trailing off at the sound of footsteps coming overhead. I quickly looked around to find a good place to hide and Kimmy caught on, gesturing to the closet under the stairs.

A little cramped space didn't frighten me, so I was on board. I went into the musty place and listened for his footsteps as he descended the stairs. "You look so cool! Where are you going?" Kimmy's voice on the other side asked casually.

"Out." he answered her tersely, there's a moment of silence before his quiet footsteps approach me, I think I've been found out when I hear Reece again and his voice is surprisingly closer, "What are you doing here?" he murmured.

I'm about to answer and pop out until Cyber barked. When they retreat, I slowly open the door and creep out quietly, attempting to sneak up behind him and shock him by my sudden presence. I reach up behind him as he's putting on his shoes and put my hands over his eyes.

"Guess who." I said, lowering my voice.

"Satan with a cold?" He replied without a moment of hesitation. He gently pulled my hands away from his eyes and turned around to smile at me boyishly, "Cute sweater." He said.

I groaned, realising he'd known all along, "How?" I asked, turning to my friends who are watching us with sheepish smiles.

Reece chuckled, "And Cyber, and well, you have a particular scent ." He explained then paused and did a double take at me, "Did you get a haircut?"

I nodded, grinning up at him. "Yep! Got my bangs trimmed then got dropped off here. Am I interrupting something? Were you about to go out?" I teased, looking at the rest of him. He was dressed in a simple, grey striped button up with sleeves rolled up to his forearms and black jeans. Kimmy was right, he looked cool, but it wasn't just the clothes, it seemed that Reece just happened to exude it- he seemed lighter than usual, but if anyone asked, I wouldn't be able to explain it coherently.

"Yeah." he said, playing along and glancing at his phone for the time. "I have a date."

Kimmy giggled as she watched us, shoving a handful of cereal in her mouth, Ash on the other hand looked mildly uncomfortable, but also kind of pleased- strangely. "I don't want to watch my brother flirt with my friend." he laughed, shooing us out the door.

Reece and I promptly left after a little more banter that was apparently flirting. I wasn't sure what the line was between the two, but I'm guessing if it makes you blush and if you're trying to get someone to do the same, it's the latter.

"I feel so underdressed." Reece joked, meeting my eyes.

I laughed, getting in his car. "Don't complain if I look like this, you still haven't told me where we're going!" I said, sticking out my tongue as he got in the car.

He turned to look at me seriously, oozing humour and charm nonetheless, "Who said I was complaining?" he asked lowly, his lengthy swept back hair falling back over his eyes.

Reece is unexpectedly prettier from up close and I resist the urge to touch his face, "Since when?" I suddenly asked.

Reece raised an amused eyebrow, quickly understanding my question without context, "I wonder, too." he said.

"I can't tell with you, I thought you were the same with everyone." I admitted, then I inched closer to him, as much as the car could allow, "Have you've liked me for a while?" I asked teasingly, nudging his shoulder.

He turned away, a split second too slow at trying to hide a smile. "The line between hate and like seemed to blur together, I wasn't sure what it was, so I took a gamble." he replied coolly.

"Do you think your gamble is paying off?" I asked curiously, suppressing a goofy smile.

"The prize is quite pretty."

I laughed, my cheeks warming, "Is that so?"

"How do my chances look?" he continued playfully.

"Quite handsome."

Not knowing was worth it. The ride was quite a while but the destination was better than I could've imagined; Reece had ended up taking us to a festival, the same ones in the movies with the flashing lights, tall rides and colourful booths with awesome gimmicks, goods and games.

My mouth hurt from all the smiling I'd done and the jitters I'd felt in my stomach since the beginning still remained.

I found myself learning more and more about Reece as the day progressed into night, one of which being that his sweet tooth was just as bad as mine; and yet despite everything sugary we'd consumed today he remained his cool and collected self, whereas I felt like I could run a marathon and still have enough energy to spare.

But perhaps the most interesting thing I'd learnt about Reece today was that he seemed to naturally attract all the dogs at the festival, and with dogs came cute little children. I didn't think my feelings could elevate as much as they did when he interacted with them all, although if anyone asked I'd blame it on the overwhelming cuteness of the dogs and children.

"Oh my god that bear is bigger than me!" I squealed, pointing at a giant teddy-bear from one of the game booths. "Let's do it!" I said, taking Reece's hand and leading him there eagerly.

The concept of the game seemed simple enough- all I needed to do was shoot the darts into three differing levelled point targets that also varied in distance... apparently I needed to conjure up about two hundred and fifty points to win the big prize. The challenge thrilled me more than any of the roller coasters did- if I happened to win, the bear would just be a bonus. "Do you think I could do it?" I asked, grinning up at Reece.

He looked over at the game then back at me, smirking. "How's your hand eye coordination?" he asked, paying the man behind the booth for a game. Either Reece believed in me or was simply hoping to watch me fail- like the sadist I've suspected he kind of is.

I laughed, "Horrible. But I'm feeling pretty lucky."

The man plucked the darts off the boards and turned around to hand them to Reece. "Playing for the little miss?" the bearded man running the game guessed heartily.

Reece took the darts then dropped them into my hands, smiling at the man eerily. "Paying for the little miss." he corrected coolly.

The man chuckled, slightly taken aback before looking over at me with a toothy grin- the significantly small person standing next to a significantly tall Reece. "The game is to try and rack up a hundred points from each dartboard. Two-hundred and fifty or over will win you the bear." he explained, stepping back so I can start.

I stared at the first intricately numbered target, which was unmoving- the easiest and biggest. I've played darts before so I was feeling confident, without much more thought, I took a dart between my fingers and pulled back to throw- it happened in an instant and landed on the black, a mere inch or two away from the desired red. The man behind the booth whistled, "Eighty-three." he read, squinting at the board.

I took another dart and watched the second target for a moment, it didn't move as fast as the third did, but it was enough to make my adrenaline fully kick in. I think I totally blacked out throwing this one because I didn't even realise it's left my fingers until I heard the man read out the score my dart had supposedly landed on, "Sixty-six."

"Damn." I muttered, taking the last dart and staring at the final, smaller and faster target which seemed to hypnotise me. "I think I'm going to close my eyes." I said jokingly to Reece- this seemed impossible now.

He raised an eyebrow, "Interesting tactic."

I laughed, my nerves easing. Taking a breath, I threw the dart without worry. It hit the hundred. Silence took over and time seemed to have stood still for a moment as we all processed what had happened. I broke it by laughing. The man turned to stare at me in disbelief and Reece tried to suppress his laughter with his fist. "How did you fail so hard at the second board but score perfectly on the third?" Reece asked me, greatly amused by my feat.

I shrugged despite my ballistic feelings, "It takes a certain kind of dumb luck." I said casually, mimicking Reece's coolness.

"Yeah, dumb luck. You lost by an inevitable point." Reece said, half smiling at me as he took my hand and intertwined it with his.

I smiled sheepishly up at him- my face warming up for the millionth time at the natural gesture. "I feel like I won anyway." I said before turning to the man who still seemed to be in shock.

"I don't get any pity points, do it?" I joked to the man, I scanned over the other prizes with labelled points you'd have to conjure to win them, they were all adorable, but I'm especially stumped when I find a prize that looks starkly like Cyber. A stuffed toy dog about the size of a pillow! Definitely not close at all to the size of the big bear that had initially caught my interest earlier, but definitely something I want.

"Can I have him?" I blurted, staring wide eyed at the husky on display. How could I have not seen him earlier?

The man looked a little stumped, "Him?" he echoed, turning around to follow my gaze. "The husky? Are you sure? There's better prizes you can get with the score you-"

"I'd like the Cyber lookalike!" I requested, squeezing Reece's hand excitedly, "Could I have him?" I asked the man.

He chuckled, momentarily confused, but quickly obliging as he grabbed it from the pile of other prizes, "Husky it is. Anything else? You could get another prize within this section." he said, handing it over.

"I'd like another one of this." I said, holding it up and turning to flash a cheeky smile at Reece, "For the tall mister."

I can't believe I ever complained about the days going slow, because now more than ever it felt like everything has been fleeting- I'm still having a hard time knowing it's already December.

Reece and I are walking back to the car with toy Cybers' tucked under one arm and fairy floss in the other when the strange and subtle feeling in my chest suddenly doubles in size. I stopped walking and turned over to look at Reece curiously.

"What?" He finally asked when he realised I was just staring.

"Can you bend down so I can kiss you?" I asked him.

Reece seemed to malfunction and it makes me laugh, hard. Mostly because he generally seemed so cool and collected and made everything seem so easy to say and do every other time, but also because he did this cute thing where he kept shifting between amusement and confusion, and for the first time ever he turns profusely red. If this is how he blushes, I'm all for it.

"Hopeless." I sighed, "I suppose shorts girls inevitably have to put in more work." I joked as I got up onto my toes and kissed his cheek.

"Ah, my lips are sugary, sorry." I laughed, putting the plastic bag of cotton candy between my teeth and swiping my thumb across his warm cheek where I'd kissed him. I find that the effects of my earlier question has quickly worn off because Reece's endearing half smile returns and he encloses his hand over mine and pulls it away from his face- intertwining our fingers instead.

"You surprise me." He murmured.

I smiled, tilting my head to the side, "What can I say?" I asked my voice muffled with the plastic still between my teeth.

As if suddenly pulled into deep contemplation, his expression faltered, "I-"

On bastardly timing, the phone in my jean pocket rings, scaring the hell out me. As if he wasn't about to say anything at all a second ago, Reece smirks at my reaction- the moment of complete seriousness fleeting.

I rolled my eyes, letting go of his hand to grab the bag of cotton candy from my mouth. "Could you get that for me?" I asked him, my hands full, "It's in my right pocket, just put it on speaker or something."

Reece nodded, taking my phone and answering it for me, putting it on speaker. I look at the screen to find that it's Jackie calling, which is strange- she typically would send messages through Super Psych just so she could get him talking and bonding with me- something I'd caught on rather quickly after he'd relayed a message that definitely did not need to be relayed.

"Thank heavens, you answered dear!" Jackie's panicked voice came through.

I frowned, "Jackie? What's wrong? Everything okay?" Besides the earlier time I'd walked into her store and was shortly told to leave, Jackie was practically a happy-go-lucky person every other day and had claimed to have close to no problems at her age. So I was really concerned now.

She took a long, heavy breath, "Super Psych hasn't been answering my calls! I was wondering if you're able to get in contact with him." She explained.

Regret number one: speaker phone. Regret number two: being unable to answer the voiced nor silent question from both Jackie and a very conflicted looking Reece.

The next moment couldn't have gone any slower.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

410 7 28
It's the beginning of senior year, new chances, new goals and first love. This is a story of an unexpected love and a complicated situation, as Emma...
376 0 21
Some characters are true in the story, some are not.
88 0 14
The story that is told as a fantasy, but feels like reality.
78 0 12
about a young girl and her friends and all the crazy stuff in her life that goes on.... how the story is written gets better as you read so.. keep re...