The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

58 - A truth uncovered

6.1K 472 93
By MayaR-31

(Elissa's PoV)

Waking with a start, I detect a presence in my room and my heartbeat quickens. Is it Morpheus? Come on Elle, don't be silly. It can't be him, it's not even elven.

Cautiously opening one eyelid, I peek out and relief washes over me at the sight of Cosmos sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Elissa, it is time for a truth to be uncovered. I need you to share a vision with Celestia. Lucifer is scheming again."

"Can't you show her directly?"

He shakes his head, regret in his features. "I am bound to your fate. I can visit only your dreams. I think it is time that you learnt the truth."

"OK." The word 'how' is just forming upon my lips when he touches my forehead and I'm blinded by a bright light. Blinking against its radiance, I realise that it is morning and a stream of sunlight is shining down on my face.

.....

Over breakfast with my father, I broached the subject of needing to see the queen and now, only a few hours later, we are confronted with a door flanked by two androgynous guards. Mirroring my father's confident stance, I try to quell my nerves. I have no idea what this vision will be nor how to unveil it.

We are escorted into one of the queen's reception rooms, which is bright and airy, with large windows overlooking the formal gardens. She is the polar opposite of Morpheus with his tenebrous den of iniquity.

The queen rises and bends her forehead in greeting, first to her son and then to me.

Once we are all seated, I begin, "My queen, I have a message," I hesitate, "from Cosmos ... King Cosmos."

While Celestia remains impassive, I sense a disturbance in the airwaves.

"He no longer lives amongst us." The queen's tone is like one would use with a small child.

"Sometimes he visits my dreams. He has a vision that he wants me to share with you, only I don't know how."

Celestia gives me a calculating look before leaning forward and placing her fingertips to my temples, which causes a sensation of pressure, like the early stirrings of a headache. Minutes tick by with no result and she pulls away, a brief flash of fatigue showing on her face.

"Your mind is exceptionally strong. I think that we may require Morpheus to facilitate this." From the firm lines of her mouth, I infer that seeking the king's assistance is not something that she relishes.

Rising, Celestia crosses the room to an ornate mirror and calls out the king's name. The surface shimmers and ripples, but nothing seems to happen. After an interminably long wait, the mirror finally clears to show Morpheus. His hair is ruffled and he is wearing a black silk dressing gown and possibly nothing beneath it.

He yawns and stretches theatrically, the dressing gown gaping to reveal a sculptured chest. "What is it that you so urgently need to discuss with me? You know I do not like to be disturbed so early."

Celestia bristles, her calm exterior disturbed as if a pebble has been thrown into a still pool. "It is past mid-day!" she bites out with steely ice before becoming more contrite. "Princess Elissa has a vision she wishes to uncover. Could we prevail upon you?"

"If my princess demands my attention, then who am I to deny her?" His eyes catch mine, conveying a mixture of humour and something else. "Do you wish to come to my chambers?" he asks with a smirk.

"No, we are gathered here. Take the time you need to dress yourself." There is a slight snarky edge to Celestia's voice.

We sit and drink tea from dainty china cups while waiting for the king to make an appearance. Eventually, Morpheus sweeps into the room with damp hair and dressed in a loose, partially open black silk shirt and tight black leather trousers. He seems to be going for a 'rock god' look.

He takes a seat on a chaise and directs me to lay down with my head in his lap, thereupon he places his fingertips on my temples. My body is tense and I hardly dare to breathe.

An amused smile plays upon his face and he whispers, "Relax."

His power swirls around me, leaving my skin tingling in its wake. The thing inside me reaches out with curiosity and the world tilts.

.....

The sky is starting to lighten from the black of night to the grey of pre-dawn. I walk with purpose across dark grounds and reach out a hand to open a door. I almost screech at the sight of my wrinkled knuckles.

Passing through into the building, I turn and wave a hand. "Securus!" My suspicions are two-fold when my voice comes out as a masculine command.

There is a muffled moan. Lights flare as I walk past, illuminating a cathedral like space. Recognition flickers for it is the same place as my handfasting vision.

A heavily pregnant Isabella is sat, bent forward, on one of the eight thrones. A man is stood behind Isabella rubbing her back and there is something soothing in the aura of his magic. While I've never seen the man before, my mind provides me with his identity - Isabella's brother, Stephen.

Stephen glances up. "Cosmos! Thank the gods you are here. The baby is coming."

It is then that I realise that I'm riding in Cosmos's mind and seeing what he is seeing.

Cosmos crouches down and touches Isabella's swollen belly. I feel his awe at the strength of the magic emanating from one not yet born.

"I am certain this time. It is the prophesied golden one." He looks up into Isabella's eyes. "Your son has a great destiny before him and brings hope for Elysium."

There is a ripple in time and the image resettles to show Isabella feeding a new born baby.

"I was wrong again." Cosmos's shock is visceral. "A girl!"

Isabella cuddles the now drowsy baby and kisses her head. "I name you Elissa. You are most loved. Let this always be so."

My heart skips a beat. 'Is that me? It can't be!'

There is the sound of an explosion. I share in the discomfort as Cosmos's stomach churns with the knowledge of what must be done. The baby is too precious and must be protected at any cost.

"That is my son." He glances to the door. It has held, runes glowing brightly in the aged wood. "I am going to send Elissa away, far away, to a place where she will safe. However, it will take all of my power. You should know that we may not survive this day." He looks to them for confirmation, repentant in his heart.

"Will she be alright?" Isabella asks, her voice cracked and her eyes pleading.

Cosmos nods and holds his hands out for the baby.

No! I want to shout out, but I have no voice in the past.

I watch impotent as Cosmos swaddles my newborn self in Stephen's cloak and places me in a woven basket. Meanwhile Isabella writes with a shaking hand on a parchment, brushing away tears so that they do not splash and ruin the ink. It is the letter I was found with.

Isabella crouches down and strokes the sleeping baby's head. She really did love me. Tears want to well, but the eyes I am seeing through aren't mine.

"I am sorry Isabella, but we do not have much time." Cosmos's words are not the ones I want to speak.

Isabella takes the necklace, my locket, from around her neck and places it into the basket before kissing the baby goodbye. Stephen holds her tightly while she cries, her body shaking.

A blue orb of magic forms in Cosmos's hand and I know with certainty that this is the Light of Elysium. He waves it over the basket and there is a blinding flash of blue.

Cosmos sinks to his knees and I am breathless from his weakness. The Light is gone and with it his strength.

Stephen helps him to his feet when there is an almighty crash and the doors to the room fly open. A man strides in like an avenging god, golden-yellow eyes blazing and power crackling around him.

"Lucifer, you have no business here," Cosmos says firmly.

He and Stephen take a protective stance in front of Isabella.

Lucifer's bearing carries the power of a thunderstorm. "You side with them over your own son?"

Cosmos's heart aches. It was for the good of Elysium that he turned against his own son, but that does not lessen his regret. His burden is weighed by the knowledge that this tragedy could have been avoided if not for his own vanities. He hangs his head in shame.

"I was wrong, my son. I have failed you with my pride. I thought that you were the golden one."

"I have foreseen that I will be High King over all of Elysium. I have true sight. Even you, father, cannot stop my destiny," Lucifer responds imperiously.

"That may be so, but you will not be the next Guardian of the Light."

Lucifer's cloak whips around him and the earth rumbles beneath their feet, emphasising the depth of his anger. He launches a blast of power at his father and his cousin Stephen. It sends them flying backwards, knocking Isabella over in the process.

From his prone position on the floor, Cosmos grasps at his chest. I tremble from the intensity of his pain.

The colour drains from Lucifer's face, along with his anger and he rushes over to Cosmos, cradling him in his arms. "Father, what is wrong?" There is genuine concern and love in those golden eyes.

I feel like it is an immense effort to drag air into my lungs and each rattling breath is draining.

Cosmos responds, "I am dying."

"No, no this is not possible. Father, you cannot be," Lucifer pleads with anguish. "Where is the Light? It should protect you."

"The Light is gone."

Lucifer glares with accusation at Isabella and Stephen. "What have you done to my father?"

Cosmos holds out a trembling hand to cup his son's cheek and croaks, "My son, I love you."

"I love you father. Please do not leave me." There are tears in Lucifer's eyes and he desperately pours magic into Cosmos. It eases the pain but fails to heal him.

My vision starts to mist and I sense myself slipping away, falling into blackness. Lucifer makes an inhuman cry. There is a roar of fire, followed by the sounds of screams, though it is like they are coming from far away as my hearing also fails me.

All senses fade until there is oblivion.

........

AN - The song is Emergency by Nothing But Thieves.

An emotional chapter - at last the truth of Elissa's origin is revealed. Isabella is her mother after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 1K 32
Book 3 - Elissa got her happy ever after and the realm has enjoyed twenty five solars of prosperity. Now it is time for the heirs of Elysium to have...
21.2K 928 39
Book 1 of the Enchanted Love Series A realm where magic exists and Fae, Shifters, and other supernaturals live together. The realm is divided into la...
1K 309 23
UPDATIONS: Completed NOTE: Story is in journal format "And by prophecy shall it be revealed... Two made by the bond of the halfling's blood... Shall...
218K 12.4K 32
In the supernatural world there are just three rules you must never break - never be different - never be weak - and never ever be a threat I...